PDA

View Full Version : Microwave inference minimized (finally)



Joe Hickey
2005-02-23, 06:01
Michael,

You are insane ;->

Do you really lug a laptop, your squeezebox and a dirty big battery
around with you for 11/2 hours of music?
Can you hack into the bus system and put rude messages onto their LCD
screen? that sort of puerile entertainment would make carrying all that
weight worthwhile!

Joe

On 22 Feb 2005, at 20:00, discuss-request (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com wrote:

> Subject: [slim] Microwave inference minimized (finally)
> Reply-To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
>
>
> Why kraftwerk? I would have though Jean-Michael Jarre more
> appropriate:)
>
> Speaking of wireless interference, though, I just made my daily 45
> minute bus commute with my battery-powered SB and my notebook as AP on
> channel 1. This is my 2nd trip with that setup. The first time,
> friday night, I had no dropouts, but this morning it must have dropped
> out 15 times for one to three seconds each. Some of the buses here
> (milwaukee) are actually using wifi(channel 6 i think) to determine
> the current position and display it on lcds (which mostly show
> advertising), and I know this morning's bus was equipped with the
> annoying things. I dont recall if friday's was.
>
> I would have hoped that I could have dropout free pcm streaming within
> the same backpack at least ;) I guess I'll have to shield it, and/or
> add a directional antenna to the SB.

Robin Bowes
2005-02-23, 07:08
Joe Hickey wrote:
> Michael,
>
> You are insane ;->

+1

>
> Do you really lug a laptop, your squeezebox and a dirty big battery
> around with you for 11/2 hours of music?
> Can you hack into the bus system and put rude messages onto their LCD
> screen? that sort of puerile entertainment would make carrying all that
> weight worthwhile!

Get one of these: http://www.apple.com/ipod/

Get this to remove the volume capping: http://gopod.free-go.net/

If you want ultimate quality, transcode to apple lossless.

Oh, and get a pair of these ('cos the iPod phones are pretty poor):
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp

Job done.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

Michael Scott
2005-02-23, 11:51
Dude, ever heard of an iPod? :-)

Quoting Robin Bowes <robin-lists (AT) robinbowes (DOT) com>:

> Joe Hickey wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > You are insane ;->
>
> +1
>
> >
> > Do you really lug a laptop, your squeezebox and a dirty big battery
> > around with you for 11/2 hours of music?
> > Can you hack into the bus system and put rude messages onto their LCD
>
> > screen? that sort of puerile entertainment would make carrying all
> that
> > weight worthwhile!
>
> Get one of these: http://www.apple.com/ipod/
>
> Get this to remove the volume capping: http://gopod.free-go.net/
>
> If you want ultimate quality, transcode to apple lossless.
>
> Oh, and get a pair of these ('cos the iPod phones are pretty poor):
> http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp
>
> Job done.
>
> R.
> --
> http://robinbowes.com
>
>

Jack Coates
2005-02-24, 00:11
Robin Bowes wrote:
> Joe Hickey wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> You are insane ;->
>
>
> +1
>
>>
>> Do you really lug a laptop, your squeezebox and a dirty big battery
>> around with you for 11/2 hours of music?
>> Can you hack into the bus system and put rude messages onto their LCD
>> screen? that sort of puerile entertainment would make carrying all
>> that weight worthwhile!
>
>
> Get one of these: http://www.apple.com/ipod/
>

better yet, get one of these: http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/

> Get this to remove the volume capping: http://gopod.free-go.net/
>
> If you want ultimate quality, transcode to apple lossless.
>
> Oh, and get a pair of these ('cos the iPod phones are pretty poor):
> http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp
>

ewww -- I've been looking for a set of good earbuds, so I tried these at
Mac World. Not for me... They go into your ear, much like the little
bugs in Wrath of Khan, and still sound tinny and thin like an iPod. Squick.

> Job done.
>
> R.


--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

ron thigpen
2005-02-24, 08:37
Jack Coates wrote:

>> Oh, and get a pair of these ('cos the iPod phones are pretty poor):
>> http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp
>
> ewww -- I've been looking for a set of good earbuds, so I tried these at
> Mac World. Not for me... They go into your ear, much like the little
> bugs in Wrath of Khan, and still sound tinny and thin like an iPod. Squick.

I've found that these have some of the best bass (and all-around)
performance of any portable earphones. They sound really great. They
do depend however on being sealed in the ear canal. If they sounded
tinny to you, I'd bet that you didn't have them seated correctly.

Whether or not you like this type of earphone tends to be a personal
preference. I'm guessing that differently shaped ear canals make getting
a seal harder or easier for some. For me, they're easy. And they do
block out a _lot_ of external sound, which is sometimes good, sometimes
bad, depending on the situation. For example, I love it on airplanes,
where it blocks most of the engine noise even on the loudest turboprop
commuter plane.

For anyone worried about whether they'll like the way these fit in your
ears, try out the Etymotics earplugs. They use the same type of rubber
seals as the earphones. They are great for loud rock shows. Much
better sounding than the old foamies. And they have the side effect of
making your earphones sound better the next day as your hearing is still
intact.

FWIW,

--rt

momerath
2005-02-24, 09:43
I'll second what Ron says, and mention that a friend of mine found the
ER6 much too uncomfortable, but loves the ER4s (as do I). Also, most
Ety owners I know prefer the foam plugs for comfort, seal, and sound
quality; I'd imagine that they'd be using the tri-flange silicon tips
at an expo, since they're washable. I find the ER4 sounds best pushed
in so far the blue/red bit is touching my outer ear; only then does
the bass really suit my tastes.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:37:43 -0500, ron thigpen <ron (AT) fuzzsonic (DOT) com> wrote:
> Jack Coates wrote:
>
> >> Oh, and get a pair of these ('cos the iPod phones are pretty poor):
> >> http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp
> >
> > ewww -- I've been looking for a set of good earbuds, so I tried these at
> > Mac World. Not for me... They go into your ear, much like the little
> > bugs in Wrath of Khan, and still sound tinny and thin like an iPod. Squick.
>
> I've found that these have some of the best bass (and all-around)
> performance of any portable earphones. They sound really great. They
> do depend however on being sealed in the ear canal. If they sounded
> tinny to you, I'd bet that you didn't have them seated correctly.
>
> Whether or not you like this type of earphone tends to be a personal
> preference. I'm guessing that differently shaped ear canals make getting
> a seal harder or easier for some. For me, they're easy. And they do
> block out a _lot_ of external sound, which is sometimes good, sometimes
> bad, depending on the situation. For example, I love it on airplanes,
> where it blocks most of the engine noise even on the loudest turboprop
> commuter plane.
>
> For anyone worried about whether they'll like the way these fit in your
> ears, try out the Etymotics earplugs. They use the same type of rubber
> seals as the earphones. They are great for loud rock shows. Much
> better sounding than the old foamies. And they have the side effect of
> making your earphones sound better the next day as your hearing is still
> intact.
>
> FWIW,
>
> --rt
>