PDA

View Full Version : optimizing softsqueeze on slow system



David Feldman
2005-02-15, 13:45
I've got SoftSqueeze installed on a fairly slow machine (Dell Latitude
CPi) running SUSE 9.2, and it almost works great: Everything
interoperates properly, I get good sound, etc., but it hiccups every
few minutes. I'm assuming this is because I'm working with a fairly old
machine. I've installed the Java MP3 plug-in, and I think it worked
since SqueezeBox doesn't complain on load anymore (though I didn't see
anything pertaining to JMF on my system...does that matter?). Anyway, I
hate to give up now that everything is set up...is there any way I
might be able to optimize things a little so that playback is smoother?

Thanks!
Dave

rtitmuss
2005-02-19, 13:45
David Feldman wrote:

> I've got SoftSqueeze installed on a fairly slow machine (Dell Latitude
> CPi) running SUSE 9.2, and it almost works great: Everything
> interoperates properly, I get good sound, etc., but it hiccups every
> few minutes. I'm assuming this is because I'm working with a fairly
> old machine. I've installed the Java MP3 plug-in, and I think it
> worked since SqueezeBox doesn't complain on load anymore (though I
> didn't see anything pertaining to JMF on my system...does that
> matter?). Anyway, I hate to give up now that everything is set up...is
> there any way I might be able to optimize things a little so that
> playback is smoother?
>
Are you running any other applications on this machine at the same time
as Softsqueeze? You could try increasing the priority of Softsqueeze
using 'nice'. It would also be worth checking the buffer fullness (you
can enable this in the player settings in the slimserver web interface),
does this drop during the hiccups?

With the Java MP3 plug-in, you don't need to worry about JMF (Java Media
Framework) instructions on Sun's installation page. Softsqueeze does not
use the JMF.

Regards,
Richard

David Feldman
2005-02-20, 12:27
> Are you running any other applications on this machine at the same
> time as Softsqueeze? You could try increasing the priority of
> Softsqueeze using 'nice'. It would also be worth checking the buffer
> fullness (you can enable this in the player settings in the slimserver
> web interface), does this drop during the hiccups?

I'm seeing 3 main problems:

(1) powersaved periodically interrupts the music somehow. I discovered
this using top, but I'm not 100% convinced it's just a processor usage
thing because even if I renice powersaved all the way down and
SoftSqueeze all the way up the problem persists. Killing off powersaved
solves the problem but I worry...what am I potentially doing to the
machine by killing powersaved? Might it overheat or run the fan
unnecessarily or something?

(2) When I switch tracks there's often a hiccup. It seems sometimes to
be worse when I switch tracks repeatedly in a short span of time. I
don't seem to get buffer underruns or other messages when this happens.

(3) I am seeing periodic buffer underruns that look like this:
1709413 [Player Thread-27] INFO audiobuffer.verbose - audio buffer
underrun
1709416 [Player Thread-27] INFO audiobuffer.verbose - audio buffer
underrun

Sometimes they coincide with a hiccup in the sound, but I don't think
they do always.

I'm also sometimes seeing this:
979432 [Thread-4] WARN search - checking now ... -1
1157307 [Thread-4] WARN search - checking now ... -1

--Dave

rtitmuss
2005-02-27, 08:28
David Feldman wrote:

> I'm seeing 3 main problems:
>
> (1) powersaved periodically interrupts the music somehow. I discovered
> this using top, but I'm not 100% convinced it's just a processor usage
> thing because even if I renice powersaved all the way down and
> SoftSqueeze all the way up the problem persists. Killing off
> powersaved solves the problem but I worry...what am I potentially
> doing to the machine by killing powersaved? Might it overheat or run
> the fan unnecessarily or something?

This sounds like a hardware interrupt problem to me. Has anyone else had
this problem, or would like to comment?

> (2) When I switch tracks there's often a hiccup. It seems sometimes to
> be worse when I switch tracks repeatedly in a short span of time. I
> don't seem to get buffer underruns or other messages when this happens.

I might know the cause of this problem; this can happen on Linux with
some sound cards. I am working on a fix for this.

>
> (3) I am seeing periodic buffer underruns that look like this:
> 1709413 [Player Thread-27] INFO audiobuffer.verbose - audio buffer
> underrun
> 1709416 [Player Thread-27] INFO audiobuffer.verbose - audio buffer
> underrun
>
> Sometimes they coincide with a hiccup in the sound, but I don't think
> they do always.

If they do coincide with a hiccup in the sound this suggests that the
audio buffer in Softsqueeze is empty. This may be due to a network or
slimserver issue. These messages can happen at other time, for example
the end of a track.

>
> I'm also sometimes seeing this:
> 979432 [Thread-4] WARN search - checking now ... -1
> 1157307 [Thread-4] WARN search - checking now ... -1

Don't worry about these messages, it is just debug and I keep forgetting
to fix this in the code!

Regards,
Richard

>
> --Dave
>
>