PDA

View Full Version : SoftSqueeze and OpenSSH



Michael Haan
2005-02-09, 13:36
I'm glad Roy got his sistuation straightened-out, not let's see about me.  I had softsqueeze working against my prior slimserver install, but since moving slim to a new box - no luck.  I have putty installed on my laptop here at work.  When I fire it up and point it port 22  of my external ip address (which forwarded all the way through to the slim box), I can login as both myself, and the slimserver user.  However, when I fire up softsqueeze, I get some message about remote host identification changing.  What do I need to do?









>From: "Thomas B. Malsbury" <slim (AT) malsbury (DOT) net>



>Reply-To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>



>To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>



>Subject: [slim] SoftSqueeze and OpenSSH



>Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:10:41 -0500



>



>Roy Owen wrote:



>



>>I've set up OpenSSH as a test bed on my Laptop.  I'm running



>>SlimServer 2/4/2005 nightly, Windows XP sp2.  I've gotten OpenSSH



>>configured and working (confirmed with PuTTY). How ever when I try



>>to



>>connect with SoftSqueeze 1.16 I encounter the following:



>>  I get the SSH private computer warning page,



>>  Then I get the password prompt for the SSH user



>>  Then SoftSqueeze displays the "Cannot connect to server" error.



>>



>>What am I missing?



>>



>>Thanks



>>



>>



>Since you say you can get to your SSH server via putty, it sounds



>like you have gotten over the hardest part of the setup. Let's now



>focus on the client side of the setup. Are you trying to launch



>SoftSqueeze on the client machine by using the SoftSqueeze weblaunch



>link in the SlimServer web UI? The weblaunch feature of the



>Slimserver is for use within a local network in which both the



>server and client machine are localed inside the firewall.



>



>The way that I access SlimServer remotely from work is by



>downloading SoftSqueeze from http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net and



>run it as a standalone application.  Then in the network setup of



>softsqueeze you set it to use SSH and set the server address to the



>public IP address of you home firewall/router. Then when your home



>router gets a request on port 22, it forwards it to the SSH server



>running on the SlimServer machine.



>



>I have found the best way to do this is to link my routers IP



>address to a free domain name provided by http://www.dyndns.org .



>That way I don't have to worry when my ISP decides to assign me a



>new IP address, it always point to home.



>



>If you are trying to connect via SSH within your own network, I



>would still run SoftSqueeze as a stand alone application on the



>client machine. You should just have to put the IP address of the



>machine running SlimServer and SSH in the network settings of



>SoftSqueeze.  I can't imagine this is how you are attempting to use



>it though since all the ports SoftSqueeze would need to run without



>SSH should be open for and hardware (Squeezebox / Slimp3) players



>you have.



>



>If you have any other question, or I haven't answered the one you



>actually asked, please don't hesitate to ask again.



>



>Tom



>



>_______________________________________________



>Discuss mailing list



>Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com



>http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/discuss

Thomas B. Malsbury
2005-02-09, 13:46
Michael Haan wrote:

> I'm glad Roy got his sistuation straightened-out, not let's see about
> me. I had softsqueeze working against my prior slimserver install,
> but since moving slim to a new box - no luck. I have putty installed
> on my laptop here at work. When I fire it up and point it port 22 of
> my external ip address (which forwarded all the way through to the
> slim box), I can login as both myself, and the slimserver user.
> However, when I fire up softsqueeze, I get some message about remote
> host identification changing. What do I need to do?
>

This is due to the fact that the entire point of SSH is to verify that
the server you are connecting to is the one you think you are connecting
to. All though you are connecting to the same IP as before SSH realizes
that you are not in fact connecting to the computer you told it to
trust. This is because each install of SSH has a unique key that is
exchanged when the first connection is made. The easiest way to get
around this is to delete the list of know hosts on the client machine.
On my XP machine here at work it is located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\.ssh

I just deleted the .ssh folder when I ran into this problem. The next
time you fire up SoftSqueeze it will recreate the needed files and ask
you to accept the key from your new SSH server.

Hope that helps,

Tom