PDA

View Full Version : AlienBBC for WinXP - Some Success!

Philip Meyer
2005-02-05, 04:01
I had previously tried installing AlienBBC, but couldn't even start SlimServer with the plugin installed.

I have now got past this hurdle. I think it was due to my version of ActivePerl. I had version 5.8.1.807 previously. I uninstalled this and did a clean install to version 5.8.6.811.

I then reinstalled the plugin, and copied the contents of my mplayer installation (including any executables and sub-folders) into the Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread folder and added the codecs into the codec sub-folder.

When I started slim.exe --d_plugins, I noticed a few warnings about use of uninitialised variables (could potentially be something in the latest 5.4.1 nightly, rather than AlienBBC?), but at least it didn't crash this time.

So I then restarted my slimserver service. I notice in the slimserver log I have:

Subroutine HTML::Entities::decode_entities redefined at /PerlApp/DynaLoader.pm line 232, <DATA> line 1.
AlienBBC reports Version 6 Server says: 0

However, I did manage go to Help->Alien BBC and some channels were listed. I even managed to get some music out of one of the programs, so I guess AlienBBC is generally working now.

However, I have some observations/questions:

1. When I go into Help->AlienBBC using the Fishbone Skin, I get a repeat of the Home/Server Settings/Help and browse dropdown controls.

2. I can start to play ABC Stations, and some BBC Listen Again programs. However, after the first item in the playlist, I get a big list of entries that look like things on my harddisk - eg. "System 32 by Windows" and other folders. The first playlist item sounds like the real radio broadcast, but doesn't last long. I then get white noise, as it attempts to play random content off my harddisk!

3. AlienStream Playlists are empty. Is it intended that we can create our own radio playlists to display in here?

4. Some BBC Radio lists are empty. I assume this is related to the parsing needing to be updated to reflect changes on the BBC site.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-02-05, 04:08
>2. I can start to play ABC Stations, and some BBC Listen Again programs. However, after the first item in the playlist, I get a big list of entries that look like things on my harddisk - eg. "System 32 by Windows" and other folders. The first playlist item sounds like the real radio broadcast, but doesn't last long. I then get white noise, as it attempts to play random content off my harddisk!
>
Actually, it seems worse than that!

Now even if I play any music (eg, Browse by Album), I get all of the tracks added to the playlist. But if I refresh the window, I see hundreds of junk entries - system files, folders, etc, listed as items on the playist.

I stopped slimserver service, removed the alienBBC plugin subfolder, and restarted. Playing normal music now seems fine, so I don't think it's a dodgy 5.4.1 nightly release, or a corrupt cache.

Phil

Simon Still
2005-02-09, 08:27
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:40:50 -0000, Simon Turner <simon (AT) brighton (DOT) co.uk> wrote:
> wonder if it may be worth contacting them to see if there
> would be any chance of adding some sort of XML menu listing.

A good idea. I wonder how much rework would be needed or whether it
could be added on to the side. Given that the RadioPlayer has just
been relauched budget may be limited but it's well worth approaching.

I've not yet got round to trying Alien BBC for XP (are there any clear
instructions anywhere yet?) but how does it work? The BBC has rights
to protect so what they can provide or be associated with may depend
on how AlienBBC is dealing with the real streams.

> what it is I should ask them for
needs to be clearly expressed first.