PDA

View Full Version : slimserver on pocketpc



momerath
2005-02-02, 23:20
Greetings,

As I appear (from my hours of googling) to be the only person vocally
interested in using the squeezebox portably, I'm going to go ahead and
guess that I'm the first to ask this:

Can slimserver run on pocketpc?

It would be neat to use my ipaq 2215 w/ microdrive, the sb and phones
when a dac, amp and notebook are just too much to carry, but I dont
want to downgrade all the way to the ipaq itself ;)

Jack Coates
2005-02-03, 08:49
mome rath wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> As I appear (from my hours of googling) to be the only person vocally
> interested in using the squeezebox portably, I'm going to go ahead and
> guess that I'm the first to ask this:
>
> Can slimserver run on pocketpc?
>
> It would be neat to use my ipaq 2215 w/ microdrive, the sb and phones
> when a dac, amp and notebook are just too much to carry, but I dont
> want to downgrade all the way to the ipaq itself ;)

maybe. Can you find a Perl interpreter for PocketPC? That's the first
step. I also suspect that it would quickly outgrabe your hardware :)

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

momerath
2005-02-03, 10:16
I havent looked into the availability of a perl interpreter for winCE,
but I know I was disappointed with the python options when I looked
about a year ago. The ipaq could run linux (the 22xx port is pretty
far along), though I understand that doesnt guarantee that perl will
compile for it or run usably.

My hope, in using the sb instead of just the ipaq, is to acheive
better sound quality. I certainly hope it's DAC and headphone stage
are better than the ipaq to begin with, and I anticipate modding the
SB at some point to improve SQ even more.


On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:52:00 -0700, Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net> wrote:
> So you are looking to take an iPaq and a squeezebox on the road to listen to
> tunes? Why not just put the tunes on the iPaq and hook it up to some
> headphoens or portable speakers?
>
> While your request is novel (in the rubbernecking look at a car wreck sort
> of way) I don't really get what is accomplished with someone going through
> the effort of producing this solution.
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of momerath
> > Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 11:20 PM
> > To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > Subject: [slim] slimserver on pocketpc
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > As I appear (from my hours of googling) to be the only person
> > vocally interested in using the squeezebox portably, I'm
> > going to go ahead and guess that I'm the first to ask this:
> >
> > Can slimserver run on pocketpc?
> >
> > It would be neat to use my ipaq 2215 w/ microdrive, the sb
> > and phones when a dac, amp and notebook are just too much to
> > carry, but I dont want to downgrade all the way to the ipaq
> > itself ;)

momerath
2005-02-03, 10:21
It seems PerlCE does exist. Here are the features/limitations according to:
http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/perlce.html

# Perl scripts not using pipes and external commands should run with
no problems.
# Simple terminal escape sequences for stand-out and cursor positioning.
# Some XS dlls supported (IO/Socket/Dumper/NDBM/SDBM).
# No fork().
# No threads or PerlObject.
# Simple pipes should work with programs that use celib.dll.
# New mods Win32::API and Win32::OLE.

Are any of these obvious show-stoppers?

~Michael


On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 07:49:07 -0800, Jack Coates <jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org> wrote:
> mome rath wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > As I appear (from my hours of googling) to be the only person vocally
> > interested in using the squeezebox portably, I'm going to go ahead and
> > guess that I'm the first to ask this:
> >
> > Can slimserver run on pocketpc?
> >
> > It would be neat to use my ipaq 2215 w/ microdrive, the sb and phones
> > when a dac, amp and notebook are just too much to carry, but I dont
> > want to downgrade all the way to the ipaq itself ;)
>
> maybe. Can you find a Perl interpreter for PocketPC? That's the first
> step. I also suspect that it would quickly outgrabe your hardware :)
>
> --
> Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
> Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!
>

Robin Bowes
2005-02-03, 16:12
Jason wrote:
> So you are looking to take an iPaq and a squeezebox on the road to listen to
> tunes? Why not just put the tunes on the iPaq and hook it up to some
> headphoens or portable speakers?
>
> While your request is novel (in the rubbernecking look at a car wreck sort
> of way) I don't really get what is accomplished with someone going through
> the effort of producing this solution.

Absolutely. Why not get an iPod or other mp3 player? Horses for course,
and all that...

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

momerath
2005-02-03, 16:55
I addressed this. I have mp3 players. I am willing to sacrifice
size/bulk, price and battery life for SQ- even just a little. I cant
even stand listening to mp3s of something I've heard in .flac, much
less on a DAP with a crummy DAC and headphone out.

And totally aside from sound quality, where is your "because I can"
opensource spirit. If Linus had listened to people who asked why he
didnt just use an existing unix.... ;)


On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:12:16 +0000, Robin Bowes
<robin-lists (AT) robinbowes (DOT) com> wrote:
> Jason wrote:
> > So you are looking to take an iPaq and a squeezebox on the road to listen to
> > tunes? Why not just put the tunes on the iPaq and hook it up to some
> > headphoens or portable speakers?
> >
> > While your request is novel (in the rubbernecking look at a car wreck sort
> > of way) I don't really get what is accomplished with someone going through
> > the effort of producing this solution.
>
> Absolutely. Why not get an iPod or other mp3 player? Horses for course,
> and all that...
>
> R.
> --
> http://robinbowes.com
>
>

momerath
2005-02-03, 17:16
I find it insulting that you chalk up Linux's existance to Linus'
desire to save money. It was at least as much a desire to learn and a
love of hacking. And who am I trying to convince to program
something? I am a computer programmer by profession (and perl is my
3rd fav language), so if there were something needing to be programmed
for my application, I'd do it myself. All I was asking (and I'll find
out for myself since no one seems to know) is whether slimserver runs
on perlCE. If there is a major reason that it wont, I wouldnt bother
with it myself and certainly wouldnt expect anyone else to.

I have heard my own .flacs playing on my friends Karma with my ER-4s
and found it hollow, rolled off (high and low) and uninvolving. I
already have a 2.2G microdrive, so space is less of an issue than you
make out, and it would be my short-jaunt-to-the-store setup; I use a
notebook w/ an 80G drive to supply my flac for longer trips (and thats
still only about 1/4 of my music).


On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:01:33 -0700, Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net> wrote:
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of momerath
> > Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 4:55 PM
> > To: Slim Devices Discussion
> > Subject: [slim] slimserver on pocketpc
> >
> > I addressed this. I have mp3 players. I am willing to
> > sacrifice size/bulk, price and battery life for SQ- even just
> > a little. I cant even stand listening to mp3s of something
> > I've heard in .flac, much less on a DAP with a crummy DAC and
> > headphone out.
> >
> > And totally aside from sound quality, where is your "because I can"
> > opensource spirit. If Linus had listened to people who asked
> > why he didnt just use an existing unix.... ;)
> >
>
> Linus did what he did because he didn't want to spend for an expensive copy
> of Unix. You are pursuing something that will maybe appeal to 2-3 people on
> the planet. If you want to spend the time developing it, kudos to you, but
> I wouldn't try to convince some programmer to waste his time on it.
>
> For the record if you want to listen to FLAC and get really good sound
> quality then invest in a Rio Karma. They cost about $200 and support FLAC
> and gapless playback. Hook up some good headphones and you should have
> yourself a really excellent setup. Even with a flash drive on the iPaq you
> will be lucky to store more than 20 albums or so in FLAC, the Karma has a
> 20GB hard disk and can store quite a bit more than that.
>
>

Joshua Uziel
2005-02-04, 02:06
* momerath <michael.warnock (AT) gmail (DOT) com> [050203 16:16]:
> I find it insulting that you chalk up Linux's existance to Linus'
> desire to save money. It was at least as much a desire to learn and a
> love of hacking.

Wow, insulting? I'm sure there are some big Linux geeks on this list
(count me as one of them)... and I hate to break it to you, but I've
heard from Linus' own lips that he did it because he wanted something
like the Sun machines at school but couldn't afford 'em. That's why he
started on "Freax", which was to become Linux. Sure, there were
probably other factors, but that was a big reason.

Of course, now we're way off-topic for this list, and I'm sorry for
that...

Aaron Zinck
2005-02-04, 07:12
If he's willing to carry around his own external DAC, then he will not find
the sound quality through an FM modulator acceptable.

FM modulators can be convenient, however, for less sonically demanding
applications.

"Carl Maskelyne" <cmaskelyne (AT) f2s (DOT) com> wrote in message
news:200502040832.j148WSnG001795 (AT) outmail (DOT) freedom2surf.net...
> If you are after sound quality through a decent system have you thought
> about an FM transmitter directly from you MP3 player?
>
> We used a Creative Zen on holiday with the FM transmitter broadcasting on
a
> variety of channels around 106.7 FM seemed to work well?
>
> Regards,
>
> Carl Maskelyne
> PaperPak Systems IT Manager
> InTouch Telephone : 0800 597 5009
> Mobile Telephone : 07971 659494
>
>
>
> This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for the
> addressee only. If you are not the named recipient, you must not use,
> disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this
communication.
> If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and then
> delete this email from your system.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: momerath
[mailto:michael.warnock (AT) gmail (DOT) com]
> Sent: 04 February 2005 00:17
> To: Slim Devices Discussion
> Subject: [slim] slimserver on pocketpc
>
> I find it insulting that you chalk up Linux's existance to Linus'
> desire to save money. It was at least as much a desire to learn and a
> love of hacking. And who am I trying to convince to program
> something? I am a computer programmer by profession (and perl is my
> 3rd fav language), so if there were something needing to be programmed
> for my application, I'd do it myself. All I was asking (and I'll find
> out for myself since no one seems to know) is whether slimserver runs
> on perlCE. If there is a major reason that it wont, I wouldnt bother
> with it myself and certainly wouldnt expect anyone else to.
>
> I have heard my own .flacs playing on my friends Karma with my ER-4s
> and found it hollow, rolled off (high and low) and uninvolving. I
> already have a 2.2G microdrive, so space is less of an issue than you
> make out, and it would be my short-jaunt-to-the-store setup; I use a
> notebook w/ an 80G drive to supply my flac for longer trips (and thats
> still only about 1/4 of my music).
>
>
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:01:33 -0700, Jason
<jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net> wrote:
> >
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From:
discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > >
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]
On Behalf Of momerath
> > > Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 4:55 PM
> > > To: Slim Devices Discussion
> > > Subject: [slim] slimserver on pocketpc
> > >
> > > I addressed this. I have mp3 players. I am willing to
> > > sacrifice size/bulk, price and battery life for SQ- even just
> > > a little. I cant even stand listening to mp3s of something
> > > I've heard in .flac, much less on a DAP with a crummy DAC and
> > > headphone out.
> > >
> > > And totally aside from sound quality, where is your "because I can"
> > > opensource spirit. If Linus had listened to people who asked
> > > why he didnt just use an existing unix.... ;)
> > >
> >
> > Linus did what he did because he didn't want to spend for an expensive
> copy
> > of Unix. You are pursuing something that will maybe appeal to 2-3
people
> on
> > the planet. If you want to spend the time developing it, kudos to you,
> but
> > I wouldn't try to convince some programmer to waste his time on it.
> >
> > For the record if you want to listen to FLAC and get really good sound
> > quality then invest in a Rio Karma. They cost about $200 and support
FLAC
> > and gapless playback. Hook up some good headphones and you should have
> > yourself a really excellent setup. Even with a flash drive on the iPaq
you
> > will be lucky to store more than 20 albums or so in FLAC, the Karma has
a
> > 20GB hard disk and can store quite a bit more than that.
> >
> >