PDA

View Full Version : AlienBBC fixes for BBC Radio Player updates



Jules Taplin
2005-01-25, 16:55
Hey folks.

Right. I think we've cracked it. Beta Version 0.93 is now available from
the web site, in the normal place.

I'm afraid that for now, the Beta version is the only place to get the
changes, so if you're trying to track v0.12, then you're in trouble
right now. The changes to make it work with the new structure are fairly
far-reaching, so back-porting (while technically possible) is probably
more work than we want to get into at the moment. To be honest... for
core functionality, the betas have been working pretty well so far, and
it's already hard enough work supporting three platforms, without
dealing with back-porting major changes too!

For the record, here are the changes for V0.93 from V0.92:

* New version of the 'mplayer.sh' and 'socketwrapper.exe' scripts.
(thanks to Timothy Hunt and Neil Sleightholm for their patches and
suggestions for both of these). Hopefully these scripts will prevent
mplayer's piling up.
* Fixed Jules' last cock-up, which meant that some of the English
strings weren't available any more.
* Major Changes to the parsers. 'Listen Again', 'Radio 2 A to Z' and
'Radio 5 A to Z' are working again now.

There's probably some more stuff, and some more people to thank... but
that'll do for now ;)

As ever, AlienBBC is available from http://www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc.html


Best Regards,


Jules

John Gorst
2005-01-25, 17:10
Jules Taplin wrote:
> Hey folks.
>
> Right. I think we've cracked it. Beta Version 0.93 is now available from
> the web site, in the normal place.
>
> I'm afraid that for now, the Beta version is the only place to get the
> changes, so if you're trying to track v0.12, then you're in trouble
> right now. The changes to make it work with the new structure are fairly
> far-reaching, so back-porting (while technically possible) is probably
> more work than we want to get into at the moment. To be honest... for
> core functionality, the betas have been working pretty well so far, and
> it's already hard enough work supporting three platforms, without
> dealing with back-porting major changes too!
>
> For the record, here are the changes for V0.93 from V0.92:
>
> * New version of the 'mplayer.sh' and 'socketwrapper.exe' scripts.
> (thanks to Timothy Hunt and Neil Sleightholm for their patches and
> suggestions for both of these). Hopefully these scripts will prevent
> mplayer's piling up.
> * Fixed Jules' last cock-up, which meant that some of the English
> strings weren't available any more.
> * Major Changes to the parsers. 'Listen Again', 'Radio 2 A to Z' and
> 'Radio 5 A to Z' are working again now.
>
> There's probably some more stuff, and some more people to thank... but
> that'll do for now ;)
>
> As ever, AlienBBC is available from http://www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc.html

Having some problems with this version, previously using ?0.91or 0.92
(which ever was the first release) with no problems until the bbc
changed their site. Now:

1) When pressing play I get the message 'RTSP convert error - check file
types'

2) there are no streams under 'live streams'

Running under Mandrake linux. However hae also just upgraded to latest
nightly which may have broken something? (5.4.1)

Cheers

Bill Burns
2005-01-25, 18:35
Jules Taplin wrote:
> Hey folks.
>
> Right. I think we've cracked it. Beta Version 0.93 is now available from
> the web site, in the normal place.

Fast work and much of it is good! Couple of problems, though, on
Windows, 5.4:

Live and Local Radio are both empty, no items.

Playing Creme de la Crime from Radio 4 A-Z instead brought up the
previous programme, Tina C's Tiny Island Tour. Tina C selected directly
wouldn't play.

--
Bill Burns
Long Island NY USA
mailto:billb (AT) ftldesign (DOT) com

Jack Coates
2005-01-25, 21:07
Jules Taplin wrote:
> Hey folks.
>
> Right. I think we've cracked it. Beta Version 0.93 is now available from
> the web site, in the normal place.
>
> I'm afraid that for now, the Beta version is the only place to get the
> changes, so if you're trying to track v0.12, then you're in trouble
> right now. The changes to make it work with the new structure are fairly
> far-reaching, so back-porting (while technically possible) is probably
> more work than we want to get into at the moment. To be honest... for
> core functionality, the betas have been working pretty well so far, and
> it's already hard enough work supporting three platforms, without
> dealing with back-porting major changes too!
>
> For the record, here are the changes for V0.93 from V0.92:
>
> * New version of the 'mplayer.sh' and 'socketwrapper.exe' scripts.
> (thanks to Timothy Hunt and Neil Sleightholm for their patches and
> suggestions for both of these). Hopefully these scripts will prevent
> mplayer's piling up.
> * Fixed Jules' last cock-up, which meant that some of the English
> strings weren't available any more.
> * Major Changes to the parsers. 'Listen Again', 'Radio 2 A to Z' and
> 'Radio 5 A to Z' are working again now.
>
> There's probably some more stuff, and some more people to thank... but
> that'll do for now ;)
>
> As ever, AlienBBC is available from http://www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc.html
>

I don't get any RealAudio with 0.12 or 0.93. Mandrake Linux 10.1, I
installed mplayer 1.0pre5-3.4.1 and the essential codecs from source
back around AlienBBC 0.10.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Mark Hughes
2005-01-26, 02:28
Jack Coates wrote:

> Jules Taplin wrote:
>> As ever, AlienBBC is available from http://www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc.html
>>
>
> I don't get any RealAudio with 0.12 or 0.93. Mandrake Linux 10.1, I
> installed mplayer 1.0pre5-3.4.1 and the essential codecs from source
> back around AlienBBC 0.10.
>

It plays Ok for me on Mandrake 10.1 (well, after I read the instructions
and ensured that
/usr/local/slimserver/Bin/i386-linux-thread-multi/mplayer.sh is
executable by the user 'slimserver')

I've found the best way, is to add a plf source from:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

From where you can get:

mplayer-1.0-0.pre6.7plf
real-codecs-1.2-1plf

Bruce Tucker
2005-01-26, 11:04
I'm having trouble getting AlienBBC working on my WinXP PC . I've tried to
follow the instructions on www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc_beta.html

Here's what I've got so far:
- I'm running the Slimserver nightly install from a day ago.
- I've installed the AlienBBC windows archive into the c:\program
files\slimserver\server directory
- I Installed mplayer to dir: c:\program
files\slimserver\server\bin\MSWin32-x86\mplayer
- I Installed 'Windows essential codecs' to dir: c:\program
files\slimserver\server\bin\MSWin32-x86\mplayer\codecs (they ended up in
codecs\windows essentials but I dragged them back to \codecs)

-Running slimserver.exe --d_plugins from a command prompt yields the
following message when AlienBBC loads: "Alien BBC reports Version 6 Server
says: 0"

-I see the AlienBBC plugin, and can navigate down to playable entries, but
when I try to play them
I get the following error message on the display: "RTSP Convert Error -
check file type"

-Also, selecting BBC Live yields "No items"

Any idea where I should go from here?

Bruce

Neil Sleightholm
2005-01-26, 11:37
Thank you for updating this so quickly.

I have notice a couple of things:
- items with an & are displayed as ;amp;
- listen live is empty but you can get to listen live via listen again
- personally I'm not keep on the "Sublist: " text at the start of some
of the items

Neil

Jules Taplin wrote:

> Hey folks.
>
> Right. I think we've cracked it. Beta Version 0.93 is now available
> from the web site, in the normal place.
>
> I'm afraid that for now, the Beta version is the only place to get
> the changes, so if you're trying to track v0.12, then you're in
> trouble right now. The changes to make it work with the new structure
> are fairly far-reaching, so back-porting (while technically possible)
> is probably more work than we want to get into at the moment. To be
> honest... for core functionality, the betas have been working pretty
> well so far, and it's already hard enough work supporting three
> platforms, without dealing with back-porting major changes too!
>
> For the record, here are the changes for V0.93 from V0.92:
>
> * New version of the 'mplayer.sh' and 'socketwrapper.exe' scripts.
> (thanks to Timothy Hunt and Neil Sleightholm for their patches and
> suggestions for both of these). Hopefully these scripts will prevent
> mplayer's piling up. * Fixed Jules' last cock-up, which meant that
> some of the English strings weren't available any more. * Major
> Changes to the parsers. 'Listen Again', 'Radio 2 A to Z' and 'Radio 5
> A to Z' are working again now.
>
> There's probably some more stuff, and some more people to thank...
> but that'll do for now ;)
>
> As ever, AlienBBC is available from
> http://www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc.html
>
>
> Best Regards,
>
>
> Jules

Neil Sleightholm
2005-01-26, 11:47
I had another thought - all the entries that are of the format MON TUE
etc are preceeded by a description. Could you check to see if the link
matches MON, TUE etc and then prepend the previous link? This would
make it a bit easier to understand. This falls down a bit with The
Archers as the BCC in their wisdom show 2 SUN entries one of which is
the omnibus but not the first one as I would expect!

On the other hand you could just ignore me being pedantic and have a
night off!

Neil

Neil Sleightholm wrote:

> Thank you for updating this so quickly.
>
> I have notice a couple of things:
> - items with an & are displayed as ;amp;
> - listen live is empty but you can get to listen live via listen again
> - personally I'm not keep on the "Sublist: " text at the start of some
> of the items
>
> Neil
>
> Jules Taplin wrote:
>
> > Hey folks.
> >
> > Right. I think we've cracked it. Beta Version 0.93 is now available
> > from the web site, in the normal place.
> >
> > I'm afraid that for now, the Beta version is the only place to get
> > the changes, so if you're trying to track v0.12, then you're in
> > trouble right now. The changes to make it work with the new
> > structure are fairly far-reaching, so back-porting (while
> > technically possible) is probably more work than we want to get
> > into at the moment. To be honest... for core functionality, the
> > betas have been working pretty well so far, and it's already hard
> > enough work supporting three platforms, without dealing with
> > back-porting major changes too!
> >
> > For the record, here are the changes for V0.93 from V0.92:
> >
> > * New version of the 'mplayer.sh' and 'socketwrapper.exe' scripts.
> > (thanks to Timothy Hunt and Neil Sleightholm for their patches and
> > suggestions for both of these). Hopefully these scripts will prevent
> > mplayer's piling up. * Fixed Jules' last cock-up, which meant that
> > some of the English strings weren't available any more. * Major
> > Changes to the parsers. 'Listen Again', 'Radio 2 A to Z' and 'Radio
> > 5 A to Z' are working again now.
> >
> > There's probably some more stuff, and some more people to thank...
> > but that'll do for now ;)
> >
> > As ever, AlienBBC is available from
> > http://www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc.html
> >
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> >
> > Jules

Jack Coates
2005-01-26, 12:04
Mark Hughes wrote:
> Jack Coates wrote:
>
>> Jules Taplin wrote:
>>
>>> As ever, AlienBBC is available from
>>> http://www.mrtickle.org/alienbbc.html
>>>
>>
>> I don't get any RealAudio with 0.12 or 0.93. Mandrake Linux 10.1, I
>> installed mplayer 1.0pre5-3.4.1 and the essential codecs from source
>> back around AlienBBC 0.10.
>>
>
> It plays Ok for me on Mandrake 10.1 (well, after I read the instructions
> and ensured that
> /usr/local/slimserver/Bin/i386-linux-thread-multi/mplayer.sh is
> executable by the user 'slimserver')
>
> I've found the best way, is to add a plf source from:
>
> http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
>
> From where you can get:
>
> mplayer-1.0-0.pre6.7plf
> real-codecs-1.2-1plf
>

I tend to avoid plf as I've gotten a lot of broken stuff from it... in
fact, the plf source I have defined now seems to be dead. I'll just try
again next week.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

John Gorst
2005-01-26, 12:17
> It plays Ok for me on Mandrake 10.1 (well, after I read the instructions
> and ensured that
> /usr/local/slimserver/Bin/i386-linux-thread-multi/mplayer.sh is
> executable by the user 'slimserver')

Ah - read the instructions! That is where I went wrong!

I unzip using root, so the mplayer.sh is created with root only permission!

I think this should be in a FAQ - however it probably already is and I
probably didnt read it!

Now that I have corrected the permissions this version of alienbbc is
perfect! (apart from the live stations list)

Cheers

Jules Taplin
2005-01-26, 13:10
Right.

Looks like at least some of you guys have managed to make it work... so
it can't have been a total cock-up on the release ;)

BBC Live hasn't been fixed yet... and I probably won't get to that for a
few days. As has been correctly remarked already, though - it's possible
to get to these from the 'Listen Again' menus, otherwise.

& issues will get fixed in the next release.

And Neil - I'm not totally wedded to the 'SubList:' terminology either.
The idea was to differentiate between selecting 'Radio 2' and 'Comedy &
Quizzes->Radio 2', which are quite different menus. I'm not quite sure
of the right way to proceed (or whether they actually work correctly at
the moment, come to that!)

And... yes... I am going to have the night off. Just got back home, and
I'm knackered and starving ;)



-- Jules




John Gorst wrote:

>
>> It plays Ok for me on Mandrake 10.1 (well, after I read the
>> instructions and ensured that
>> /usr/local/slimserver/Bin/i386-linux-thread-multi/mplayer.sh is
>> executable by the user 'slimserver')
>
>
> Ah - read the instructions! That is where I went wrong!
>
> I unzip using root, so the mplayer.sh is created with root only
> permission!
>
> I think this should be in a FAQ - however it probably already is and I
> probably didnt read it!
>
> Now that I have corrected the permissions this version of alienbbc is
> perfect! (apart from the live stations list)
>
> Cheers
>
>