PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding public port 81 to 9000

Philip Meyer
2005-01-22, 04:09
This message is a bit off-topic (sorry), but I don't know where else on the net to ask this sort of thing...

I sometimes (infrequently) steam music from home (WinXP Pro) to work. I use the standard port 9000, but as the firewall at work won't allow the use of this port, I get my router to port forward such that requests on port 81go to port 9000.

This works fine. However, I would also like to access my home DigiGuide service from work. This uses port 2402, which the firewall also blocks. I use port 80 for accessing my home website, so I'm running out of ports that I can forward.

I was wondering if I could do something within my web site (hosted by IIS) such that I could set up pages that would redirect network traffic to the desired service on their local port. eg. host a slim.html page in IIS that would redirect to port 9000, and a digiguide.html that would redirect to port 2402.

If I do a response.redirect(), this simply tells the client browser to go to a different page, which won' work. I can't do a Server.Transfer() to the slimserver port 9000, as this would need to be hosted in IIS.

A simple solution would appear to be to access the routers remote admin pages, so I could change port forwarding of port 81 to the service I would like to use. However, contrary to what my router documentation suggests, remote admin doesn't work (Belkin ADSL wireless router, model 7630uk).

Has anyone else got any other ideas?

Phil

Jack Coates
2005-01-22, 17:12
>> This message is a bit off-topic (sorry), but I don't know where
>> else on the net to ask this sort of thing...
>>
>> I sometimes (infrequently) steam music from home (WinXP Pro) to
>> work. I use the standard port 9000, but as the firewall at work
>> won't allow the use of this port, I get my router to port forward
>> such that requests on port 81go to port 9000.
>
> Use cygwin/Openssh/PuTTY or some variation of that and tunnel everything
> through one port.
>
> Richard
>

This is a good way to go, though you'll need to have the sshd side
listening on port 80 to get to it at all.

Another effective solution would be httptunnel, though I think it's Linux
only.

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
"Believe what you're told; there'd be chaos if everyone thought for
themselves." -- Top Dog hotdog stand, Berkeley, CA

Philip Meyer
2005-01-23, 04:13
>Use cygwin/Openssh/PuTTY or some variation of that and tunnel everything
>through one port.
I've got no idea how this works. Is there a pure Windows solution, rather than Cygwin?

Actually, I'd like to get Openssh/PuTTY working for SoftSqueeze anyway - are there any guides anywhere to explain what these things do?

Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-01-23, 07:51
Wow. Thanks for the info. Sounds quite straightforward; I'll give it a go.

>You can obviously add as many services as you like.. all traffic will be
>encrypted between your work computer and your home network. Perhaps you'd
>also like to install TightVNC on all your home computers so you can control
>them all as if you were actually there.
>
I've been trying to use Windows Remote Desktop, but I guess the problem there is that the client tries to use a fixed port, and the work firewall prevents the use of the port. So I might try TightVNC instead.

Thanks for your help,
Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-01-23, 12:52
I've configured everything on the server, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow from work.

One thing I didn't quite understand, is when connecting from the client (work) PC, do I really type http://localhost:9000. ie. puTTY is setting up a port locally that then redirects to another machine?

>Just note that Tight and standard VNC require you to disable the Fast User
>Switching service on the server machines that you want to connect to, and
>you can actually use both Remote Desktop and VNC to have a redundant setup
>should something go wrong.
>
That's a pity - I like (and use) Fast User Switching. Is there any reason why TightVNC doesn't work with Fast User Switching?

Phil

rtitmuss
2005-01-24, 13:40
Philip,

I guide for setting up ssh for Slimserver/Softsqueeze is at
http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/ssh.html.

Regards,
Richard

On 23 Jan 2005, at 11:13, Philip Meyer wrote:

>> Use cygwin/Openssh/PuTTY or some variation of that and tunnel
>> everything
>> through one port.
> I've got no idea how this works. Is there a pure Windows solution,
> rather than Cygwin?
>
> Actually, I'd like to get Openssh/PuTTY working for SoftSqueeze anyway
> - are there any guides anywhere to explain what these things do?
>
> Phil
>
>

Philip Meyer
2005-01-29, 02:56
> I've configured everything on the server, so I'll give it a shot
> tomorrow from work.
>
I'm pretty sure my home server is working okay, but I have problems getting puTTY to work through my work's proxy (at least I think that is what the problem is).

I have copied my proxy settings from Internet Explorer and put them in the Connection->Proxy settings section of puTTY. HTTP, proxy hostname, port 80, username and password. However, I get a connection error. I think the proxy doesn't support CONNECT in the standard way. I think it requires some special USER command instead, like "USER user@server Proxyuser". Does this mean it is not going to be possible? I thought I could try the telnet setting, so I could put a different command in, but haven't had any success yet - puTTY window seems to dissapear without any error or info written to the log.

Phil