PDA

View Full Version : Periodic pauses in playback

Mitch Harding
2005-01-17, 13:59
When playing music on my SB, I experience periodic pauses. They happen, at a guess, every 30 minutes or so. But that's just a guess. When they happen, the SB display freezes (if the song title is scrolling, it stops) and the music also freezes. A short time later (normally 3 or 4 seconds, but sometimes it will last closer to 10) the music and the display resume exactly where they left off.

I play almost exclusively FLAC files. My SB is WIRED not wireless. There is typically very litle network activity on my network, so I don't expect network saturation is causing this. My SB is connected to the server via Microsoft wireless base station/4-port router.

I have server version 5.4.0 running on Windows XP. My firmware level is 40. I have the graphical display. Nothing else runs on the server except the Slimserver software. I recently also installed Norton Antivirus, but I was experiencing this problem prior to the installation. I also recently moved to Windows SP2, but again, I was experiencing this problem prior to that. My system has 512MB RAM and 950MHz AMD Athlon processor.

I have observed this in previous server/firmware levels as well. I don't recall when it first began showing up.

I've also noticed that my music hitches if I am using the web interface to add music to the playlist, although it does not normally pause if I add music using the remote control. I also experience these hitches if I adjust the shuffle setting, whether via remote control or via the web interface.

I saw one Bugzilla defect similar to this, but it wasn't exactly the same, and it hadn't been commented in a while. Is this a known issue, or should I open a defect? Or are there some things I should try first?

Thanks for the help.

Mitch
www.mitcharf.com

Maik Musall
2005-01-17, 16:10
Same thing here, with ogg files, Linux server and wireless. I already
wrote a report six days ago on this list (subject "Occasional dropouts
during ogg playback") with no answers from anybody.

I suspect the perl slimserver is doing something that prevents it to
manage the oggdec or flac to wav pipeline streaming for a few seconds
since multithreading is somewhat flawed.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:59:48PM -0600, Mitch Harding wrote:
> When playing music on my SB, I experience periodic pauses. They
> happen, at a guess, every 30 minutes or so. But that's just a guess.
> When they happen, the SB display freezes (if the song title is
> scrolling, it stops) and the music also freezes. A short time later
> (normally 3 or 4 seconds, but sometimes it will last closer to 10) the
> music and the display resume exactly where they left off.

Regards
--
Maik Musall <maik (AT) musall (DOT) de>
GPG public key 0x856861EB (keyserver: wwwkeys.de.pgp.net)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFB7EXni3OLyYVoYesRAuPVAJ9McEcgTOA3kgaUMRmggZ GlfGAj6wCeLoou
aaIP9i7xT5E0Jbxdf+QhOCA=
=1Bec
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

loofer
2009-10-02, 14:12
i have downloaded upgrade which seems great. however I also have the pauses at the end of some songs where for no apparent reason the duet just stops. it is showing the last song at the end of its time bar and if i fast forward or press pause twice it will restart for one more song and the process is then repeated