PDA

View Full Version : Would love advice on how to diagnose Tidal buffering

gvh
2019-07-20, 01:36
Hi,

I'm getting occasional complaints on the Touch of Tidal buffering and I would help on trying to diagnose the problem. I never know what to switch on in the logs. It's got worse in the last few months.
Of course it's intermittent and of course I can never get it to struggle when I'm looking!

Looking at the logs I'm also seeing a lot of

[19-07-20 08:18:23.3876] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (374) Unable to get players from SN: Timed out waiting for data, retrying in 86400 seconds
[19-07-20 08:32:11.0815] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (374) Unable to get players from SN: Timed out waiting for data, retrying in 86400 seconds

There was a bit of it on 28/29 June and then it started in anger on 7 July

Please let me know what to switch on and I'll collect a bunch of evidence and try some stuff.

Thanks a lot in advance

SB Touch x 5
High power WiFi - the lowest strength reported is 85%
Buffering switched on in the server
Daphile on dedicated server
Fibre internet

bpa
2019-07-20, 02:05
This "feels" likes a generic network problem so LMS logging is unlikely to tell you much.

The Squeezenetwork message is telling you that LMS cannot contact Mysqueezentwork.com - this is an outward connection from your system to internet.
Tidal buffering is most likely an issue with an inward connection.
How is server connected to router ? if it is wireless - this may be your problem.

Wifi strength is not necessarily a sign of a good connection - if there is a competing networks on same channel nearby you'll get high strength but poor quality connection.
Are there other Wifi networks nearby ? Are they on the same channel ?

"buffering switched on in the server" - what do you mean by this - where is there an option called "Buffering"

More details on system will also help.
LMS version ?
OS version
type of hardware of LMS ?
Network topology.

callesoroe
2019-07-22, 06:29
Hi,

I'm getting occasional complaints on the Touch of Tidal buffering and I would help on trying to diagnose the problem. I never know what to switch on in the logs. It's got worse in the last few months.
Of course it's intermittent and of course I can never get it to struggle when I'm looking!

Looking at the logs I'm also seeing a lot of

[19-07-20 08:18:23.3876] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (374) Unable to get players from SN: Timed out waiting for data, retrying in 86400 seconds
[19-07-20 08:32:11.0815] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (374) Unable to get players from SN: Timed out waiting for data, retrying in 86400 seconds

There was a bit of it on 28/29 June and then it started in anger on 7 July

Please let me know what to switch on and I'll collect a bunch of evidence and try some stuff.

Thanks a lot in advance

SB Touch x 5
High power WiFi - the lowest strength reported is 85%
Buffering switched on in the server
Daphile on dedicated server
Fibre internet

Have you tried to set the player settings to "Streaming through Proxy" ????
This often helps with buffering issues.

gvh
2019-07-22, 12:59
Thanks for the replies

It was "Proxied Streaming" I meant to say (sorry was in a rush)
I just discovered that I thought I had set it on all the Touches but the one in my daughter's room was not set. Hopefully this will make a big difference.
Her player is in the bedroom straight above a pretty good AP with just a wood ceiling.

Thanks for the diagnosis that the error is an outbound one, that must be my ISP (the server is CAT6 to the router and then it's Virgin fibre)

Clearly i haven't solved it, two of these today
[19-07-22 18:18:51.7565] Slim::Player::Song::open (474) Warning: stream failed to open [wimp://88028453.flac].

The thought of getting cat6 around her room to that player :(

bpa
2019-07-22, 13:11
Thanks for the diagnosis that the error is an outbound one, that must be my ISP (the server is CAT6 to the router and then it's Virgin fibre)

Not necessarily - lots of possible reason- for example
- the problem could be with the DNS server especially if it is different to the ISPs
- a dodgy cable or socket on router or modem which has poor connection on the TX pins - means small packet OK but larger ones may be erratics.
- security s/w in router or server which is "examining" packets on outward leg and so delaying/changing them.

Also check whether your OpenSSL libraries are up to date - out of date libraries can cause problems on https connections.

To get an idea whether it is a network interface issue - use netstat and see you have any errors (e.g. timeout, reset,retransmission) on what should be a good connection

gvh
2019-07-22, 13:32
The server is running Daphile and so ssh and the terminal is hidden away. Grr.
I think it needs a reinstall to the beta version to get ssh etc.

(7.9.2 - git776eb7c @ Daphile 19.01-x86_64)

I've realised I can move the AP a lot closer and tomorrow I'll see what wifi analyser says about the signal strength where the Touch is. Do the simple stuff first.

bpa
2019-07-22, 16:09
I've realised I can move the AP a lot closer and tomorrow I'll see what wifi analyser says about the signal strength where the Touch is. Do the simple stuff first.

Not signal strength - are there other users of the same channel nearby ?

gvh
2019-07-22, 21:45
No, we're in a detached house, no other APs are on the same channel

Paul Webster
2019-07-23, 00:06
Not saying that it is this ... but channels can overlap which then causes problems.
If you are controlling which channels the APs in your house are using then try restricting what you use to use 1/6/11 (assuming you are using 2.4GHz).

schoeppi
2019-07-23, 01:16
See also this thread, maybe its also helpfull:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=110463

Ciao,

Schoepp

bpa
2019-07-23, 01:54
No, we're in a detached house, no other APs are on the same channel

Depends on how "detached" you are. Neighbours Wifi can reach about 100m across roads & gardens (and especially if they have installed an external/extra powerful AP to give full wifi all over their property) and if they are on the same channel or an adjacent channel (i.e. only use 1, 6 or 11 and never auto) .

Clearly i haven't solved it, two of these today
[19-07-22 18:18:51.7565] Slim::Player::Song::open (474) Warning: stream failed to open [wimp://88028453.flac].

This looks like a service warning and not a network error (i.e network contact is OK but problem in getting the requested file from Wimp server) - AFAIK a network error would result in a a different error message earlier in the interaction with the Wimp service.

gvh
2019-07-23, 05:54
Thanks for the suggestions:

Channels are already controlled and far apart

With regards to that other thread on stuttering tracks. I raised a thread on that a few months back but got little interest, it was only happening on SB3 and not the 2*Touch so I had the perfect excuse to hit ebay and buy 3 more Touch. That cured my problem!

bpa
2019-07-23, 06:51
With regards to that other thread on stuttering tracks. I raised a thread on that a few months back but got little interest, it was only happening on SB3 and not the 2*Touch so I had the perfect excuse to hit ebay and buy 3 more Touch. That cured my problem!

Stuttering is not rebuffering.

Was the format of the stream AAC and had to be transcoded for SB3 and not for Touchs. If so then it will imply bandwidth issues or server overload as SB3 datastream would be in Flac and Touch would be AAC.

gvh
2019-07-23, 08:02
Yep, stuttering, failing to play etc. Not buffering,

I could never figure it out. E.g a single track from a whole album would stutter etc. Why one track would be different, I didn't have the knowledge to dig.

All my SB3 had failing displays and I got some big bargains for the 3 Touch so it was a great excuse to go shopping

gvh
2019-07-23, 13:27
Here's an interesting one that popped up on debug of the mysqueezebox sync. I guess the player is still registered to its previous owner. Is there somewhere I can self fix this?

: No such player: 00:04:20:22:90:2e (Duplicate player already assigned to another account..

bpa
2019-07-23, 15:16
Here's an interesting one that popped up on debug of the mysqueezebox sync. I guess the player is still registered to its previous owner. Is there somewhere I can self fix this?

: No such player: 00:04:20:22:90:2e (Duplicate player already assigned to another account..

Contact mherger

mherger
2019-07-23, 21:03
> Here's an interesting one that popped up on debug of the mysqueezebox
> sync. I guess the player is still registered to its previous owner. Is
> there somewhere I can self fix this?

Done.

--

Michael

freelsjd
2019-07-25, 15:04
At the risk of diverting from the direct topic, I will put in my 2 cents. I have been using Tidal on the LMS and happy with it, albeit, at the mid bit rates (not the flac or master rates, and not the lower rates). Now if I play Tidal through my Android phone, in order to prevent the player from skipping, I have to run at the lower bit rates. I noticed it first through my automobile using Android Auto, but then tested on other speaker systems by bluetooth or USB, and it is consistently skipping at mid rates or higher when played through my phone. I have been with tech support at Tidal and they have acknowledged the problem. Perhaps the only device that can be used to justify the higher bit rates with Tidal are the players such as LMS, Sonos, etc., that have enough compute power to process the higher bit rates. Certainly, I cannot justify the cost in playing on my phone. BTW, my phone is a good one, so should be able to process with no problem (LG G7 ThinQ), so I believe it is an issue with the Tidal servers.

gvh
2019-07-25, 22:12
Thanks Michael.

With the amazing weather there's not been much listening to music in the house. However no buffering since I switched on streaming via the server

I still see the occasional
Unable to get players from SN: Timed out waiting for data,

So I know I have more to do

Phone - is that streaming or downloaded? In the car I play mostly hi-res downloads via the headphone jack. Maybe cut out the fancier connections and try old school like me? However I can stream as well.