PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox, Sonos, or other

danco
2019-06-29, 02:36
My current setup has a Squeezebox as one of the inputs to a pre-amp, which is connected into an amp. The amp is wired into speakers.

I am moving home, and I think I might want a system with no wires between amp and speakers.

One solution might be to connect my pre-amp to a Sonos Connect and get Sonos speakers. If I did that, would there be any point in using the Squeezebox? In addition to using the Squeezebox to play music from my computer, I use it a lot with the BBC iPlayer plugin. I don't think I would need speakers in more than one room, though having the option might be nice.

Alternatively, does anyone have other thoughts about systems that would do the same kind of connection, that is wiring my pre-amp into a device that would stream to speakers? I am not sure if the Sonos speakers are good enough. I live in the UK, which might affect what units are available.

edwin2006
2019-06-29, 02:42
Why the preamp. I would go for 2x pcp + amp hat and then only play the left or right channel.
Thinking again, I would wire the speakers. Only gain from driving speakers wireless is the absence of wires but I think that would compromise the quality of the system.

castalla
2019-06-29, 02:57
You can forget about BBC iPlayer on Sonos. It doesn't exist. There isn't any way to get BBC except by Tunein or Radioplayer.

You could simply get Sonos speakers and connect them as squeezebox players using the upnpbridge plugin. That way you can use LMS to control what's playing (including iplayer).

drmatt
2019-06-29, 03:22
Though sonos had a Bluetooth receiver iirc. You will never be truly wireless unless you run batteries so I'd suck it up and run at least power and ethernet, or good old speaker wires (much underrated!).

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

danco
2019-06-29, 03:39
Thanks. The thing is that I don't want wires running across my room from the system to the speakers. Wires from a wall socket to speakers would not be running across the room. I might stay with the wired system I have, but the arrangement of the room strongly suggests that wires between system and speakers would be a significant trip hazard in any arrangement I can envision.

Yes, I said pre-amp, but it is actually the Cocktail (also called Novafidelity( X40. CD player, rips CD to its own hard drive, FM radio, internet radio, inputs for turntable, etc, and pre-amp, so it's my main music player.

castalla
2019-06-29, 03:55
Sonos doesn't have bluetooth.

I can't see how adding a Connect would help.

The connect basically allows you to add non-sonos speakers to a sonos setup. You are still stuck with using the Sonos controller apps (PC, Android, iOS) to control what plays.

It's a significant outlay to gain very little gain in features compared to LMS.

danco
2019-06-29, 10:48
Sonos doesn't have bluetooth.

I can't see how adding a Connect would help.

The connect basically allows you to add non-sonos speakers to a sonos setup. You are still stuck with using the Sonos controller apps (PC, Android, iOS) to control what plays.

It's a significant outlay to gain very little gain in features compared to LMS.

Feature gain is not my issue. As far as features are concerned I am happy with what I currently have.

I may well stay with my current setup.

But from a health and safety aspect I do not want wires running from my amp to my speakers and am willing to spend some money if it produces a good way of avoiding that

castalla
2019-06-29, 11:15
Feature gain is not my issue. As far as features are concerned I am happy with what I currently have.

I may well stay with my current setup.

But from a health and safety aspect I do not want wires running from my amp to my speakers and am willing to spend some money if it produces a good way of avoiding that

You'll need to find a wifi transmitter for the amp and wifi receivers for the speakers (but then you'll need to find powered speakers). That'll probably increase the number of pow\er adapters by about 5 !

Another way would be to go bluetooth ... but then you'd probably find that just as frustrating.

mrw
2019-06-29, 11:31
Thanks. The thing is that I don't want wires running across my room from the system to the speakers. Wires from a wall socket to speakers would not be running across the room.
Many years ago my brother had the foresight to install speaker cables into his walls, or skirting board, or somesuch, with wall mounted sockets at each end of the run. So his (elderly) Quad amp sits on one side of the room with its speaker outlet cables plugged into its locally placed wall sockets. His (elderly) Quad Electrostatics are plugged into their own, appropriately placed, speaker outlet wall sockets.

The arrangement presupposes that you know in advance, with sufficient accuracy, where you wish to place things.

drmatt
2019-06-29, 12:32
There are many great creative ways of hiding cables.. these are probably more successful than wireless speakers ever will be, imho.

I wanted to like wireless headphones but don't either. There is no market for wireless speakers other than in the surround sound space for rear/top speakers and they are unlikely to carry a full bandwidth signal.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

Paul Webster
2019-06-29, 13:14
You could stick a Raspberry Pi Zero WH with an Amp HAT on the back of each speaker ... however, is LMS->RPi Sync accurate enough for Left and Right usage?
A bit like this ... https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102957-pi-based-systems&p=853201&viewfull=1#post853201

edwin2006
2019-06-29, 22:15
Same idea but the TS explained

"Yes, I said pre-amp, but it is actually the Cocktail (also called Novafidelity( X40. CD player, rips CD to its own hard drive, FM radio, internet radio, inputs for turntable, etc, and pre-amp, so it's my main music player."

So I don't think this will work for him (besides the sync)