X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctor_big
    • Jan 2008

How Many Squeezeboxes still in use?

> Wouldn't the access stats of repos.squeezecommunity.org give an even
    > better indication, as LMS checks with it even with --nomysqueezebox?

It actually only checks that if that parameter is set. I'd have to do
    both counts... But good point! I need to keep this in mind. It also
    gives me an idea of how many are using this parameter. Wouldn't be
    surprised if it was mostly aforementioned distros on Pis.

--

Michael
  • doctor_big
    • Jan 2008

Hey there,

Wondering if Michael might have some way of counting how many devices are currently being used?

Perhaps an estimate of how many devices currently connect to mysqueezebox.com?

Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Comment

• mherger
      Babelfish's Best Boy
      • Apr 2005

> Wondering if Michael might have some way of counting how many devices
      > are currently being used?

There's no reliable way to do so, unfortunately. I know it must be
      hundreds of thousands. But that's a large span :-).

--

Michael
      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• edwin2006
        • May 2017

Well there is a sort of way by looking how many people are using apps like squeeze cntrl, ipeng and Squeezelite-X.
        Not sure if they are willing to share numbers.
        SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
        Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
        Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Comment

• ralphy
          • Jan 2006

Greg shared some Squeezelite-X download stats recently.

I'll see if I can get something similiar for my client builds downloads.
          Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
          Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Comment

• bpa
            • Oct 2005

Sourceforge has been the preferred location for 3rd party repo even though it has access issues, it provides down statistics

For example,

The number of downloads of BBCiPlayer plugin (and timeline) indicates "active" users https://sourceforge.net/projects/bpa...stats/timeline
            and the downoads by country https://sourceforge.net/projects/bpa....ZIP/stats/map

Another example could be Philippe upnp & Chromecast bridges - the URL ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...stats/timeline ) shows number of users who have subscribed (i.e. LMS will refresh regularly) but zip downloads shows "active" users.

What I take from these figures is that while there are core users (i.e. playback of a music collection or popular streaming services ) there are also LMS users in many small groups occupying niches which have not been addressed by "commercial" products

Comment

• d6jg
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by mherger
              > Wondering if Michael might have some way of counting how many devices
              > are currently being used?

There's no reliable way to do so, unfortunately. I know it must be
              hundreds of thousands. But that's a large span :-).

--

Michael
              Looking at it a different way - do you know how many Logitech sold?
              Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
              Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
              Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
              Dining Room SB Radio
              Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
              Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• mherger
                Babelfish's Best Boy
                • Apr 2005

> Looking at it a different way - do you know how many Logitech sold?

No.

--

Michael
                Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• pippin
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by edwin2006
                  Well there is a sort of way by looking how many people are using apps like squeeze cntrl, ipeng and Squeezelite-X.
                  Not sure if they are willing to share numbers.
                  I can't reliably say that. A few 10k monthly active users from what I can see, but for example I know it's much more during winter than during summer. The figures are also estimates based on how many people have activated feedback in iOS and under the assumption that their usage is similar to those who don't.

I have no idea how many Squeezeboxes people control per app. I know that about half of the iPeng users have only one Squeezebox but I don't know how many the other half has on average.
                  Also, a lot of iPeng users even use more than one device per iPeng copy (a "copy" is a copy sold on the app store which you can install on as many devices as you like and in iPeng's case that now includes iPhones, iPads and Apple Watch).
                  ---
                  learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                  Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                  at penguinlovesmusic.com
                  New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• edwin2006
                    • May 2017

You're so right. I've got one license but 7 squeezeboxes. Some original hardware and some pcp based.
                    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
                    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
                    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Comment

• jp14
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mherger
                      > Looking at it a different way - do you know how many Logitech sold?

No.

--

Michael
                      Michael - I've always been curious about this - why are you still working on this project? I don't mean that in a negative way - what I'm wondering is if Logitech killed off the Squeezebox years ago, why are they still funding this work? What's in it for them? Do you know if there's a plan for when the funding runs out?

And, since I and others have been enjoying all your and others' hard work, is there a way that we can support you personally?

Comment

• pablolie
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by doctor_big
                        Hey there,

Wondering if Michael might have some way of counting how many devices are currently being used?

Perhaps an estimate of how many devices currently connect to mysqueezebox.com?

Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
                        The connection the mysqueezebox doomed ecosystem is an evil that needs to be eradicated from the any LMS connected device.

I am not even sure if I deleted or still included the mysqueezebox account, but if I do it is by accident. My LMS just plays local music or Spotify these days. I don't want anything else.

My mom unfortunately doesn't visit me anymore, but that was my last connection to internet radio stations she listened to while staying with me.

*None* of my devices have ever failed, and I have more than i need. The receiver (and certainly the controller) shall never see any active duty again.

In fact I have donated several of my devices to friends, and they are still working hard and well playing music.
                        ...pablo
                        Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
                        System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
                        Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
                        Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Comment

• erland
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by pablolie
                          The connection the mysqueezebox doomed ecosystem is an evil that needs to be eradicated from the any LMS connected device.

I am not even sure if I deleted or still included the mysqueezebox account, but if I do it is by accident. My LMS just plays local music or Spotify these days. I don't want anything else.
                          I’m sorry but this is just silly, people have said mysqueezebox.com is doomed for over 10 years and it’s still (with a few exceptions) working more or less as good as it did 10 years ago. I do agree that it will die eventually, as everything else. Just as an example, it has so far survived and been maintained longer than any of my Apple devices. Reasoning the way you do it would be pointless to buy a new smartphone today since it’s doomed, the latest iPhone is unlikely to be usable 5 years in the future so why buy and use it today. Are you sure Spotify will be alive 2024 ?

I think the lifetime of Squeezeboxes (including mysqueezebox.com) is exceptional. I think I have exactly one electronic device in my home that’s older than my Squeezebox Classic, everything except for my Sherwood receiver has been replaced after I purchased the Squeezebox Classic back in 2006. I’m trying to think of any cloud services that has been alive longer than mysqueezebox.com and realize there aren’t many. I’m not sure any of the premium streaming services on the market has been alive as long as mysqueezebox.com

Having said this, mysqueezebox.com will eventually stop working but if we want it to survive longer we should keep using it rather than stop using it. It obviously get easier for Logitech to shut it down if nobody uses it.
                          Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
                          Developer of many plugins/applets
                          Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

• kidstypike
                            • Feb 2007

I prefer to run LMS with the --nomysqueezebox.com parameter, have done so for years. Now we're being told not to do this. I have absolutely no use for mysb.com.

What's the difference between running (a) LMS with the --nomysqueezebox.com parameter, or (b) LMS with mysqueezebox.com, but not using mysb.com?

Does it make any difference to the numbers of units Logitech are seeing?
                            Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                            Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                            Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                            Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
                              • Jan 2009

Any Squeezebox device is worth keeping. They are pretty reliable in comparison to other gadgets nowadays. Might not be quite so true for some of them, the Radio for instance, but in general, the construction of SBs is solid. Michael is doing a superb job in keeping the platform up and running. This should be honored much more.
                              Hardware-wise, it's telling that a lifetime of 10 years or more is considered exceptional nowadays. My main amp is a Revox B250-S that was built in 1987, and besides a capacitor replacement there was no service ever needed for it. 32 years in permanent service, that's quite something. And I have no doubts I would still use it 30 years from now. Schematics are available, the hardware design consists mainly of standard components, and Revox keeps supplying almost any component of any device they ever brought to market. That's remarkable. I cannot think of any other manufacturer that does this.
                              The speakers and most parts of my main stereo set are nearly the same age. Good proof that spending more money gave you better quality, at least that's what used to be true back in the day. You can now spend 1600 EUR on an iPod dock and enjoy its crappy audio from a wife-acceptable shiny 7.1 polypropylene D-class system, and these things won't even last you 5 years before they add to the garbage dump because nobody is capable of repairing the undocumented, twisted, "defective by design" components. In what aspect is that better anyway? Hi-Fi was never about fashion, still my impression is that the focus shifts towards the shell and gimmicks like app control, and away from overall quality.
                              Something got lost along the way but it's not caused by the manufacturers entirely. It's also the consumer's responsibility to control where things are heading, and imho it's going down the drain.
                              If your Squeezebox fails you, there are ways to repair most of the issues. I am trying to do my part in keeping the Squeezebox ecosystem ticking. Please, instead of considering to abandon Squeezebox in total, or tossing a failed device, give me a PN or create a thread in this forum. There are many people out there who will help.
                              sigpic

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Comment

Working...