PDA

View Full Version : John Darko talks about Squeezebox / LMS in 2019

GRC
2019-06-06, 09:40
Anyone else seen this?

https://darko.audio/2019/06/freshly-squeezed-streaming/

I'm a fan of Darko's website but I think he's a little harsh in this article, particularly about the UI. Quote "LMSí web interface, accessible from ANY device running a web browser, has a face only a mother could love." The web-UI photo is not a good example IMHO.

Anyway, sounds like a 7/10 pass for us "budget-conscious audiophiles"!

d6jg
2019-06-06, 10:18
Anyone else seen this?

https://darko.audio/2019/06/freshly-squeezed-streaming/

I'm a fan of Darko's website but I think he's a little harsh in this article, particularly about the UI. Quote "LMSí web interface, accessible from ANY device running a web browser, has a face only a mother could love." The web-UI photo is not a good example IMHO.

Anyway, sounds like a 7/10 pass for us "budget-conscious audiophiles"!

Someone should point him at Material

d6jg
2019-06-06, 10:24

In fact I just have

left channel
2019-06-06, 10:29

Indeed. Too bad he doesn't allow public reader comments. The information above his contact form is not encouraging; it seems likely he will never go back in and fix an article.

d6jg
2019-06-06, 10:44
Indeed. Too bad he doesn't allow public reader comments. The information above his contact form is not encouraging; it seems likely he will never go back in and fix an article.

He has also missed off 2 other essential plugins - MAI and RP.

cfuttrup
2019-06-06, 11:23

I don't know about MAI and RP, so I'm curious ... what are these plug-ins about?

Cheers,
Claus

d6jg
2019-06-06, 11:30
I don't know about MAI and RP, so I'm curious ... what are these plug-ins about?

Cheers,
Claus

MAI is Music & Artist Information - adds Lyrics, Artist Biography, Album Review etc and Material really makes great use of it

RP is Radio Paradise. A US FLAC Radio Station that has no ads only an occasional voice announcement. Itís Rock based but is very esoteric and includes Jazz and Classical. Itís curated by a human (Bill) not an auto DJ. Highly recommended.

Both plugins are by Michael Herger who is defacto the head of LMS.

Man in a van
2019-06-06, 11:41

Both plugins are by Michael Herger who is defacto the head of LMS.

He's the one that "sends the boys round"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI-uql-vv3c

ronnie :cool:

GRC
2019-06-06, 13:19
To be fair, I think it's only the web UI that the article is criticising, not the various IOS / Android apps, several of which he calls out as good. And he rates some combinations better than Roon which can't be bad.

Personally, I think the web UI is fine - easy to use and intuitive (well at least for an old fart like me). I have the left pane maximised with large artwork and a sort order of artist - year - album (where appropriate). I have no artwork showing in the right pane - just the play list. Just click on a track in either pane for all the extra info you might need. There's extra skins if you're obsessive about appearance. What's not to like?

The only real thing I'd like (mentioned in an earlier thread started by me) is the ability to include "pointers" to non-local music (e.g. Spotify or Tidal albums) in the library so that LMS effectively integrates local music and streaming services like Roon. But Michael Herger has already said that this would be a significant chunk of work which, frankly, is unlikely to happen. And I haven't found a work around yet apart from putting the Spotty pointer in a Favorites folder in LMS as a quick way of reminding me about the albums and accessing them.

The rest of Darko's article is relatively complimentary, even though I don't know if a souped-up Raspberry Pi sounds significantly better into a decent DAC than the stock SBT digital out. Darko says "An audio HAT – like those offered by ALLO, HifiBerry, JustBoom – will see our Pi-Squeeze comfortably surpass the Squeezebox Touch on sound quality (with analogue OR digital)." Let me stress - I haven't heard a Pi+HAT so have no evidence either way.

Anyway, I think it's nice to see good old SBT and LMS getting some new and relatively favourable press here in 2019.

Cheers

d6jg
2019-06-06, 13:37
To be fair, I think it's only the web UI that the article is criticising, not the various IOS / Android apps, several of which he calls out as good. And he rates some combinations better than Roon which can't be bad.

Personally, I think the web UI is fine - easy to use and intuitive (well at least for an old fart like me). I have the left pane maximised with large artwork and a sort order of artist - year - album (where appropriate). I have no artwork showing in the right pane - just the play list. Just click on a track in either pane for all the extra info you might need. There's extra skins if you're obsessive about appearance. What's not to like?

The only real thing I'd like (mentioned in an earlier thread started by me) is the ability to include "pointers" to non-local music (e.g. Spotify or Tidal albums) in the library so that LMS effectively integrates local music and streaming services like Roon. But Michael Herger has already said that this would be a significant chunk of work which, frankly, is unlikely to happen. And I haven't found a work around yet apart from putting the Spotty pointer in a Favorites folder in LMS as a quick way of reminding me about the albums and accessing them.

The rest of Darko's article is relatively complementary, even though I don't know if a souped-up Raspberry Pi sounds significantly better into a decent DAC than the stock SBT digital out. Darko says "An audio HAT Ė like those offered by ALLO, HifiBerry, JustBoom Ė will see our Pi-Squeeze comfortably surpass the Squeezebox Touch on sound quality (with analogue OR digital)." Let me stress - I haven't heard a Pi+HAT so have no evidence either way.

Anyway, I think it's nice to see good old SBT and LMS getting some new and relatively favourable press here in 2019.

Cheers

I agree with all of that but have you tried the Material skin plugin?

kidstypike
2019-06-06, 13:47
Light & Dark skins.

GRC
2019-06-06, 14:35
I agree with all of that but have you tried the Material skin plugin?

Hands up - nope. Hadn't even heard of it until this thread and still know nothing about it. Can you point me somewhere useful?

Thanks.

d6jg
2019-06-06, 14:37
Go to Settings / Plugins and install Material
Then go to
http://lmsipadress:9000/Material

kidstypike
2019-06-06, 14:39
Hands up - nope. Hadn't even heard of it until this thread and still know nothing about it. Can you point me somewhere useful?

Thanks.

It's a plugin: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?109624-Announce-Material-Skin

GRC
2019-06-06, 14:50
OK Iíll take a look thanks. I understand skins and plugins.

Presumably Material is purely cosmetic and adds no functionality. Just asking . . . no flames please.

d6jg
2019-06-06, 15:01
OK Iíll take a look thanks. I understand skins and plugins.

Presumably Material is purely cosmetic and adds no functionality. Just asking . . . no flames please.

Yes and No
Itís cosmetic but adds better integration with MAI and is usable with any mobile or tablet which the default skin isnít

pputzer
2019-06-07, 03:03
He has added a "Letters to the editor" article today: https://darko.audio/2019/06/letters-to-the-editor-squeezebox-dutch-dutch-more/

firedog
2019-06-07, 04:16
Thanks

d6jg
2019-06-07, 10:49
He has added a "Letters to the editor" article today: https://darko.audio/2019/06/letters-to-the-editor-squeezebox-dutch-dutch-more/

2 Letters.
Michaelís and mine about Material (although heís said I am Jim D when I am actually Jim G)
I do agree that for the most part itís a very positive review. Kudos to Michael (as always).

left channel
2019-06-07, 15:22
Thanks Michael, Jim, and Danny for writing to him! I notice he's updated to Material himself ("SqueezeLiteDARKO"). Too bad the original article is not updated, but at least the letters page is offered as "Next article / Letters to the editor: Squeezebox, Dutch & Dutch & more". I ought to write him about an error he made on another product review.

pablolie
2019-06-08, 13:48
I just built a system for a friend based on a PI and LMS SW, with the Pinguin app as the UI on an iPad. Rave reviews.

She's now in the process of ripping her CD collection (about 15 years late, IMO :-D) and is using Tidal (gasp, I think I am falling a little! :-D).

She's a super gifted musician, and after she listened to my system (and saw me easily interact with it via a GUI) she asked me to set hers up. And of course the Squeezebox system is up for it. 5th person I have converted in the last 3 years (it's not my mission in life, I only do it if someone asks for help (and he's pretty!).

TomAmes
2019-06-10, 08:52

I was oblivious to these two plugins. I installed MAI a couple of days, and it is absolutely awesome! Thanks to Michael for developing it, and thank you for mentioning it here!

Perhaps I will give RP a try--and spend some time perusing the list of plugins.