PDA

View Full Version : SB3 to a Denon PMA-30

jimwillsher
2019-04-22, 05:34
Hi

I have several Squeezebox units, mostly SB3. I've always used analogue connection.

I am buying a new amp - Denon PMA-30 - and I see that it has digital input. I have no experience of digital at all so I am not sure if the two units will talk via digital cable, nor what cable I need to buy. Am I looking for TOSlink or SP/DIF or something else? Ideally a link to an Amazon or eBay item please :)

is it something like this that I need?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Cable-3M-Gold-Plated-PlayStation-Black/dp/B07BLZD4T6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Many thanks

Jim

Man in a van
2019-04-22, 07:04
Looks good to me Jim, start cheap and then go mad :p

ronnie

See if you can score a freebie cable from whomever you are buying the amp, even cheaper!

edwin2006
2019-04-22, 07:13
I've connected an SB2 to a denon avr-x2500h with an optical link cable. No digital coax in available on the denon.

jimwillsher
2019-04-22, 10:37
Thank you both, much appreciated.

TimT
2019-04-22, 18:46
That unit has two optical inputs and one coaxial input.

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/hifi/amplifier/pma30

Hi

I have several Squeezebox units, mostly SB3. I've always used analogue connection.

I am buying a new amp - Denon PMA-30 - and I see that it has digital input. I have no experience of digital at all so I am not sure if the two units will talk via digital cable, nor what cable I need to buy. Am I looking for TOSlink or SP/DIF or something else? Ideally a link to an Amazon or eBay item please :)

is it something like this that I need?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Cable-3M-Gold-Plated-PlayStation-Black/dp/B07BLZD4T6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Many thanks

Jim

d6jg
2019-04-23, 14:56
The SB3 has analogue (as you know) and both optical and coaxial digital outputs and they are all live so you could connect to the Denon with both optical and coaxial and see which you think sounds best.

NB a coaxial cable is essentially a single RCA to single RCA but the cable quality is much higher (needed) than an analogue cable.

peterw
2019-04-23, 18:30
NB a coaxial cable is essentially a single RCA to single RCA but the cable quality is much higher (needed) than an analogue cable.

"needed"? I've been using a cheap, old one meter RCA analog cable from an SB3 to a Denon AVR digital input for about eight years, never had a problem. I think it might even just be one side of a stereo cable pair, as most of my single RCA cables have bright colored insulation and would not pass WAF muster.

drmatt
2019-04-25, 23:01
"needed"? I've been using a cheap, old one meter RCA analog cable from an SB3 to a Denon AVR digital input for about eight years, never had a problem. I think it might even just be one side of a stereo cable pair, as most of my single RCA cables have bright colored insulation and would not pass WAF muster.I've done this too and it mostly works. But then I once tried to record TV signals on a cassette recorder and that "mostly worked" too. If you can't hear the difference then don't worry about it.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

jimwillsher
2019-04-26, 10:00
So my Denon arrived today, and all works nicely :-) Thanks everyone!

Jim