PDA

View Full Version : piCorePlayuer with HiFiBerry DAC+ and HDMI

gbcambridge
2019-04-07, 09:48
Hi,
I have a setup with HiFiBerry DAC+ which works fine via the analogue outputs on the 'Berry. However, I now want to connect this to my TV, with HDMI used for the display as well as for the sound.
So, my question is whether (and how) it is possible to configure the system so that the 'Berry will output its analogue sound via the HDMI interface. I don't need any other sound output..just this. I am at a loss about how to configure this and from reading the various posts I still cannot figure out if this is a) possible or b) impossible.

Thanks for any help

George

sbp
2019-04-07, 10:19
You simply connect the HDMI out from the raspberry to your TV.
You don't need the hifiberry DAC in this setup.
/Steen

gbcambridge
2019-04-07, 11:42
You simply connect the HDMI out from the raspberry to your TV.
You don't need the hifiberry DAC in this setup.
/Steen

Thanks for the suggestion, but isn't there a loss of quality when you do it that way?

paul-
2019-04-07, 13:30
You misunderstand, there is no possible way to route the hifiberry signal to the HDMI port. The hifiberry can only output to the ports on the card itself.

The HDMI port is only connected the the rpi.

Jeff07971
2019-04-07, 13:46
You misunderstand, there is no possible way to route the hifiberry signal to the HDMI port. The hifiberry can only output to the ports on the card itself.

The HDMI port is only connected the the rpi.

Also HDMI Audio is digital so you would not need the DAC+ in the first place, DAC is in the TV in this case.

gbcambridge
2019-04-08, 01:31
Also HDMI Audio is digital so you would not need the DAC+ in the first place, DAC is in the TV in this case.

Well, that actually simplifies things...and releases a DAC for another project. Thanks for putting me straight on this.

George