PDA

View Full Version : Tagging WAV files.

DLloyd
2019-03-27, 20:36
Hi,
What Windows software do you use for tagging WAV files?
Thanks!

JJZolx
2019-03-27, 20:51
I have zero WAV files in my library. If I happen to download WAV files, I convert them to FLAC.

Stig Nygaard
2019-03-28, 00:25
Convert them to flac would also be me advice. Flac is compressed, but lossless. So no harm done.

I don't think there's a well supported standard for tags in wav files.

w3wilkes
2019-03-28, 06:22
I believe that MP3Tag added support for WAV file tagging back in 2016. I do not know if LMS supports reading tags in WAV files though.

kidstypike
2019-03-28, 09:05
I believe that MP3Tag added support for WAV file tagging back in 2016. I do not know if LMS supports reading tags in WAV files though.

I've just ripped a CD to WAV using EZCD Audio Converter. Checked tags, changed album name for this test, and embedded album art with mp3tag no problems.
Files play on Boom, Squeezeplay and Squeezelite (Pi/HiFiBerry).

Album sizes:

WAV - 427MB
FLAC - 287MB

Just sayin' :)

emalvick
2019-03-28, 14:42
A benefit to going with FLAC (or perhaps ALAC if one was inclined) is that the tags and files are likely to be more widely supported.

I've not used WAV files directly, but for a while (before FLAC really took off), I was using APE and SHN files. I probably would have stuck with them, but support was inconsistent and now FLAC is the standard for lossless. Thankfully, it is easy to change lossless files to other lossless types. Totally worth it as I quickly learned that FLAC files are so nice and flexible with regard to metadata.

w3wilkes
2019-03-29, 10:53
A benefit to going with FLAC (or perhaps ALAC if one was inclined) is that the tags and files are likely to be more widely supported.

I've not used WAV files directly, but for a while (before FLAC really took off), I was using APE and SHN files. I probably would have stuck with them, but support was inconsistent and now FLAC is the standard for lossless. Thankfully, it is easy to change lossless files to other lossless types. Totally worth it as I quickly learned that FLAC files are so nice and flexible with regard to metadata.

I just figured that since the OP has been around these forums since 2006 they are probably aware of FLAC and have chosen WAV for their own reasons. Because of that I figured I'd just answer the question rather than giving reasons why they should convert their library.

AirFiero
2019-04-20, 14:24
My (fairly) limited experience in Linux (including android) is that it doesnít handle WAV files very well, as far as labeling and music library goes. WAV files make a mess. Iím going with tagged FLAC.

BJW
2019-04-20, 18:44
I like ALAC. FLAC is fine too. I wouldn't do wav. But wav files do support a very, very limited amount of tag fields natively. Idk if mp3tag finally started to support them, I know Audacity has for years. U also have to be careful, as id3 tags etc can get hacked into the RIFF headers etc and break the containers, cause problems, and on and on.

Wav is useful to audio editing so there is a limited usage case that makes sense, but not one with lms imo.

Greg Erskine
2019-04-20, 20:30
Just for a different point of view....

WAV and CUE files have worked fine for me for over 14 years. :D

BJW
2019-04-20, 20:37
That's a good point, but the issue there is lack of cue sheet support in many common apps and devices. Also, wav uses 30 to 40% more space, and cue sheets are separate files.

Greg Erskine
2019-04-20, 22:56
I have found all text file editor apps on all platforms are compatible with CUE files. Probably the only audio format that is truly supported universally :)

My HDD have always been bigger than my music collection. HDD drive technology is advancing quicker than my CD collection :D

I like having only 3 files per CD, a WAV file, a CUE file and a cover.jpg file :cool:

lol