PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Digital Radio (mostly off-topic)

RobbH
2019-03-15, 12:49
I've been playing with an Ocean Digital Internet Radio WR282CD (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTF368T/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Rw-ICbHHN3105). Despite what one of the reviews says, it's not even vaguely as good as a Squeezebox Radio. But it is working as a sort of extension to my LMS system. It has FM radio capability built in, and since all my Squeezebox/Squeezelite devices are usually playing the same whole-house stream, which is also fed to a low-power FM transmitter, it has expanded the system to another room. If it needs to play something else, it can receive stream.mp3 from the LMS server or use its own built-in internet radio capability. Sound quality is decent for a table radio, not exceptional.

But that's not my reason for posting here. I have found that it's possible to telnet into the radio, using root/password. It has a very limited implementation of Busybox and configuration files are stored in a writable folder, mounted as /flash. It appears to be running a 32-bit ARM version of mplayer.

That's as far as I've been willing to go, for now. But I'm wondering what someone with more skill might be able to do. The dream would be to install squeezelite and jivelite. I suspect that's very unlikely. But what do I know? (Answer: not much.)

If anybody is interested in pursuing this further, I will consider requests for low-risk experiments to find out more, but I am not eager to brick the unit.

Villersy_15
2019-04-22, 04:06
It's really awesome. Thanks for sharing it with us.