PDA

View Full Version : Compilation showing up under specific Album Artist

Squid
2019-03-04, 13:33
I have an album which is the OST of The X-Files. It's basically a compilation album, with all tracks from different artists. I used the Compilation flag and left all AlbumArtist tags empty.
For some reason however, the album is showing up under Mike Oldfield as one of his albums. He happens to be the artist of track 1 of this compilation. However, none of the other artists from this album show up in the Album Artists list. I have to say though that currently I don't have any albums ripped yet of any of these other artists.

Is this expected behaviour, and will e.g. this album also show up under Björk once I rip another album where I have her as Album Artist ?

DJanGo
2019-03-05, 00:06
Sounds like your using the 2 list option in the settings musik tab (1.st value)
Change it to 1 list and do a rescan

Squid
2019-03-05, 02:40
I tried both but the behavior is the same. And I think that the list of Album Artists when chosing 'Use two separate lists for Album Artists and All Artists' is identical to the list you get when choosing 'Use single configurable list for artists' and deselecting all options.
Even the Compilation setting does not change a thing. When I choose 'Group compilation albums together' then I see an extra artist 'Various Artists' but the X-Files album will not only appear there but still apear under Mike Oldfield as well.

EDIT: found a similar issue here : https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106970-Compilation-issues&p=907503&viewfull=1#post907503

slartibartfast
2019-03-05, 03:10
I tried both but the behavior is the same. And I think that the list of Album Artists when chosing 'Use two separate lists for Album Artists and All Artists' is identical to the list you get when choosing 'Use single configurable list for artists' and deselecting all options.
Even the Compilation setting does not change a thing. When I choose 'Group compilation albums together' then I see an extra artist 'Various Artists' but the X-Files album will not only appear there but still apear under Mike Oldfield as well.

EDIT: found a similar issue here : https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106970-Compilation-issues&p=907503&viewfull=1#post907503Is there only one track listed under the Mike Oldfield entry. If so I think it is normal behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DJanGo
2019-03-05, 03:37

did you clear and rescan after that change?
Believe me if your thinking is right then it woulndnt make sense to give a user that way to choose.

eg i have the whole Mercedes-Benz Mixed Tape that means i have a bunch of albums with "one artist only in the whole library"
And thats why i know "use the one list option" is the solution.

Squid
2019-03-05, 06:13
Is there only one track listed under the Mike Oldfield entry. If so I think it is normal behaviour.

Yes, that looks fine and is not really the problem.
The problem that I see is that it is also listed under Album Artists. I would think that if I pick an Album Artist, I would only see albums in which that artist is the Album Artist, but it also shows all albums (and underneath it, just the relevant track(s)) that have a track by this artist (as an Artist, not Album Artist). Thinking about it, this may be normal behavior, since the listing per album, is just an additional level while drilling down to get all the tracks by that artist. But it's that additional level of showing the albums, that make it look weird.

Somehow, I would like to have an option where I can select an Album Artist, and then see all that artist's albums, but this doesn't appear to be possible.

Squid
2019-03-05, 06:24
did you clear and rescan after that change?
Believe me if your thinking is right then it woulndnt make sense to give a user that way to choose.

Not sure I'm following what you are saying, but this is what I see:

If I select the option for 2 lists, there is no option to specify what you want in the 2nd list. When selecting tracks, I then have Album Artists, and All Artists. One problem with All Artists is that it is not only showing everyone marked as 'Artist' in a track, but also other fields like Composer, etc... This is a problem, because those additional tags don't have a sort-variant (or not that I know of), and this messes up the list completely. E.g. Mike Oldfield lists under O, but Paul Anka lists under P (because he happens to be the composer of a Michael Jackson song).
In any case, when I go to Mike Oldfield under Album Artists, or I go to Mike Oldfield under All Artists, what I'm seeing is exactly the same thing: all albums that have tracks having Mike Oldfield as the artist. Again, more logical would be that if you go Album Artists -> Mike Oldfield, you would only see the albums that have him as Album Artist.

If I select the option for 1 list, and deselect the 3 options (Composer, Conductor, Band/Orchestra), the list that I'm getting is clearly only the Album Artists list. None of the Artists that occur on that X-Files Album (other than Mike Oldfield, because I have an album of his) show up in this list. Given that the 3 options don't even include 'Artist' (i.e. the track artist), this seems weird and incorrect behavior.
EDIT: found the cause. The above happens when you also use 'Group compilation albums together', which therefore means that the album shows up under Various Artists. So for artists that don't occur anywhere else but that compilation, this makes sense. It makes less sense that composers,conductors,orchestras are still listed explicitly in this case. Also the problem (or at least confusion) again comes from the fact that for artists who are already Album Artists from other albums, the compilation still occurs there. I would consider this a bug.

d6jg
2019-03-06, 16:08
Not sure I'm following what you are saying, but this is what I see:

If I select the option for 2 lists, there is no option to specify what you want in the 2nd list. When selecting tracks, I then have Album Artists, and All Artists. One problem with All Artists is that it is not only showing everyone marked as 'Artist' in a track, but also other fields like Composer, etc... This is a problem, because those additional tags don't have a sort-variant (or not that I know of), and this messes up the list completely. E.g. Mike Oldfield lists under O, but Paul Anka lists under P (because he happens to be the composer of a Michael Jackson song).
In any case, when I go to Mike Oldfield under Album Artists, or I go to Mike Oldfield under All Artists, what I'm seeing is exactly the same thing: all albums that have tracks having Mike Oldfield as the artist. Again, more logical would be that if you go Album Artists -> Mike Oldfield, you would only see the albums that have him as Album Artist.

If I select the option for 1 list, and deselect the 3 options (Composer, Conductor, Band/Orchestra), the list that I'm getting is clearly only the Album Artists list. None of the Artists that occur on that X-Files Album (other than Mike Oldfield, because I have an album of his) show up in this list. Given that the 3 options don't even include 'Artist' (i.e. the track artist), this seems weird and incorrect behavior.
EDIT: found the cause. The above happens when you also use 'Group compilation albums together', which therefore means that the album shows up under Various Artists. So for artists that don't occur anywhere else but that compilation, this makes sense. It makes less sense that composers,conductors,orchestras are still listed explicitly in this case. Also the problem (or at least confusion) again comes from the fact that for artists who are already Album Artists from other albums, the compilation still occurs there. I would consider this a bug.

Answering the Mike Oldfield under O but Paul Anka under P bit.
Oldfield is under O because there is at least one track in your collection where he is tagged as Oldfield, Mike somewhere. This can be an Artist, AlbumArtist, Composer or ArtistSort tag. It only takes one instance and then everything by him goes under O.

BJW
2019-03-19, 06:09
Another one of servers bizarre, unintuitive behaviors. My workaround is to put album artist tags on everything. Has the benefit of giving a similar exp in almost all software. Comp tags that =1 are optional but do no harm (generally speaking).

emalvick
2019-03-22, 14:58
Another one of servers bizarre, unintuitive behaviors. My workaround is to put album artist tags on everything. Has the benefit of giving a similar exp in almost all software. Comp tags that =1 are optional but do no harm (generally speaking).

THis is how I do it.

This reminds me that I think it is by design that if you have an artist that is on a compilation AND has an album artist listing, that compilations they appear on will show up in the Album Artist list. But as you are finding artists without other albums, remain removed from the list.

While I don't buy into the logic, the intent is to keep the artist list clear. The argument is that since you already have an entry for the artist, it can show these individual tracks. While the full album remains under a Various Artists entry.

Personally, it causes me hassles thus my use of a similar workaround as the quoted message, meaning I actually set Album Artist = Various Artists when it is correct, which then keeps songs from randomly popping in under other Album Artists. I use a separate custom menu so I can see every track and album a Song Artist is on when I need to find random songs by an artist that are on a compilation I can't remember.