PDA

View Full Version : Easy remote access to LMS from Android phone

mr-b
2019-02-27, 13:41
Hi

I'd like to have occasional access to my LMS from an Android device but it will most likely be from a spotty wifi connection abroad (or cellular/mobile data) so I'd like for the data to be economical (given my library is all flac).

Ive got ZeroTier One VPN loaded onto my LMS Windows machine plus Android client, but would like to know what's best to optimise the data side.
BubbleUPnP sounded ideal but couldn't get it to work, as I struggled with all the diffirent terminology (media renderers, openhome, DLNA etc. etc.)

Shoud I persist with that, or are there other better/simpler solutions?

Mnyb
2019-02-27, 22:48
Hi

I'd like to have occasional access to my LMS from an Android device but it will most likely be from a spotty wifi connection abroad (or cellular/mobile data) so I'd like for the data to be economical (given my library is all flac).

Ive got ZeroTier One VPN loaded onto my LMS Windows machine plus Android client, but would like to know what's best to optimise the data side.
BubbleUPnP sounded ideal but couldn't get it to work, as I struggled with all the diffirent terminology (media renderers, openhome, DLNA etc. etc.)

Shoud I persist with that, or are there other better/simpler solutions?

If you use lms and i’m sure there is a ”squeezeplayer” or someting that can be a player on Andriod and there are several controll apps as you now , then in lms you can configure bit rate limiting for that player ( its in the player settings ) having everything encoded at set mp3 rate like 128kbps

Stig Nygaard
2019-02-27, 23:17
As Mnyb mentions, you can limit the bitrate for your player in LMS, and flac will be converted to lower bitrate mp3 on the fly while playing. It must be the most important thing to do:

LMS -> Settings -> Player -> Choose your player on your Android client + Audio settings on the two dropdowns in top of page -> Look at Bitrate Limiting + LAME Quality Level.

Requires LAME to be installed on your LMS machine.

/Stig.

d6jg
2019-02-28, 05:35
Is this a duplicate posting ?

You will need a VPN from the Android to the network where your LMS resides.
Use "SB Player" - Android app on your phone
Set rate limiting inside LMS as stated above
Install Material Skin plugin on LMS if you haven't already
Point Chrome on your phone at http://LMSIP:9000/Material to control

mr-b
2019-02-28, 05:39
(Not sure where the dup posting is? I asked about a thin player (stream.mp3) elsewhere but that was specific.)

Great now I've got LAME installed and configured the bitrate limiting.

How do I verify the client's bit rate (SB Player)?
The server says it's playing FLAC of course but I can't see any way to determine the client side from the server UI or OrangeSqueeze either.

d6jg
2019-02-28, 06:31
(Not sure where the dup posting is? I asked about a thin player (stream.mp3) elsewhere but that was specific.)

Great now I've got LAME installed and configured the bitrate limiting.

How do I verify the client's bit rate (SB Player)?
The server says it's playing FLAC of course but I can't see any way to determine the client side from the server UI or OrangeSqueeze either.

Does the server log indicate whether any transcoding is going on - it should be transcoding from FLAC to whatever bit rate mp3 you set.

mr-b
2019-02-28, 09:38
I can't see anything relevant in the log (set to Info) after switching to bitrate 128kbps.
Ditto after I tried switching SB Player to Net Bandwidth = Low.

Then I used Performance Monitor to monitor the VPN virtual adapter and for each track it peaks at 1Mbps for 20-30sec but then drops to a few kbps then sawtooths (is that a word?) between that and nothing. I realise this is *delivery* bitrate rather than *encoding* bitrate, but I'd have thought the player might throttle the demand rather.
Also I didn't see lame.exe in Task Manager, which makes me suspect conversion isn't happening. LMS reports "The LAME encoder appears to be installed correctly on your system.".

Well at least I've got the principles of how it should all be configured now! :-)

emalvick
2019-03-04, 14:19
One thought (not terribly technical) would be to force it to convert to any even lower quality temporarily (like 32kbps). If it is transcoding at some point the sound will be noticeably terrible (which would indicate transcoding is occuring). For instance, 32kbps will sound bad; if you are not sure because of the phone speakers or headphones, try a similar exercise on your home system.

Alternatively (and perhaps better), you could track your download data on your phone and see how it changes after playing a couple of songs, perhaps once with transcoding on once with it off; you might need to find an app to track it at an accurate level. The focus is on total data transferred not transfer rate; transfer rate will be impacted by the internet connection itself, which may not help much. But the total data received should be lower with an mp3 than with a flac. Afterall, that is your goal anyway.

By the way with regard to lame, be sure you are looking for it in other tabs in the task manager as it might be running as a service instead of as a process. You may only really be able to see it if you catch it in act (i.e. start playing from the player and then look at the server and see whether lame is operating).