PDA

View Full Version : UE Megablast 3

Mercenary
2019-02-16, 20:39
Hi all,
I just read a review of UE's latest MegaBoom 3 and MegaBlast 3.
Apparently the latter comes with WIFI support now, mainly to work with Alexa. Although this does not interest me at all and I would rather go for a device without Alexa than with I just wondered whether the WIFI support as such might not be a place where support for our beloved Squeezeserver could open up?
I don't necessarily need a display like on the amazing Squeezebox Boom but if one could somehow convince Squeezeserver to stream to the MegaBoom 3 that alone would be a reason to buy it.

What do you think and most of all what do the people who know more about the software side of this think about the doability?

There are other discussions on this board to couple Squeezeserver with Alexa devices so maybe a door has opend up here? Would be great if we could pry it open.

https://www.ultimateears.com/pt-br/wireless-speakers/megablast.html#specifications

Cheers,

Merc

mherger
2019-02-16, 23:27
> I just read a review of UE's latest MegaBoom 3 and MegaBlast 3.
> Apparently the latter comes with WIFI support now, mainly to work with
> Alexa. Although this does not interest me at all and I would rather go
> for a device without Alexa than with I just wondered whether the WIFI
> support as such might not be a place where support for our beloved
> Squeezeserver could open up?

I don't think MegaBlast is at 3 yet? The one unit I knew (first
generation) is unlikely to be able to run custom code of the size of
squeezelite. It's rather limited in terms of memory and cpu cycles. It's
not just another ARM based Linux box.

Being able to run squeezelite on it is something I hoped for (and
mentioned in dev discussions), too :-(.

--

Michael

Mercenary
2019-02-17, 23:11
Hi Michael,
yes you are correct. I got a bit too excited and confused the MegaBoom3 with the MegaBlast.
However it still seems like an interesting speaker.
Would it even have to run squeezelite in order to play something or could this be circumvented somehow.

I think if Logitech would really like to give a large gift to their Squeezebox community this would be a rather low hanging fruit. The reason that they don't tells us something of course.

Keep on pushing for it Michael!

Cheers,

Matthias

Paul Webster
2019-02-18, 04:30
I wrote about the Megaboom WiFi and Alexa capability a couple of weeks ago ... I think it was that that made me try to get LMS to play to Amazon Alexa devices
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?109939-Another-yesr&p=932864&viewfull=1#post932864

and here is the resulting discussion thread about driving Alexa from LMS. Hacky but works in a basic way.
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110155-Using-Amazon-Alexa-device-as-LMS-player

chopinhauer
2019-05-01, 20:56
All very interesting, but isn't there a good chance that Logitech/UE will, in due course, simply enable AirPlay or UPnP-AV for ther Blast range of speakers. I'm hoping this is on their agenda.