PDA

View Full Version : NY Times loudness wars article

garym
2019-02-07, 15:35
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/opinion/what-these-grammy-songs-tell-us-about-the-loudness-wars.html

d6jg
2019-02-07, 16:10
Thanks Gary. Thatís really well written and confirms a lot of what I had previously thought. Bloody ear buds!

left channel
2019-02-07, 16:32
I just may read his book too: Perfecting Sound Forever: An Aural History of Recorded Music (www.amazon.com/Perfecting-Sound-Forever-History-Recorded-ebook/dp/B0030CHEYU/)

stereoptic
2019-02-07, 19:14
Great info there. It's a well written primer that explains audiophile topics plain enough for others to understand without talking down or being to overly fanboy radical. But as noted, things haven't gotten better.

mbg
2019-02-09, 14:19
Interesting, if a bit brief.

It'd be nice if they threw in some commentary on how "remastering" can make an album sound worse because of this issue, and on how vinyl really isn't better than CD and that the warmer, more laid back sound is more down to recording and mastering practices. How do I know? Because some recordings that I find a bit tedious on CD... I like much better when listening to a digital recording of the vinyl, even if in MP3.

garym
2019-02-09, 16:17
Interesting, if a bit brief.

It'd be nice if they threw in some commentary on how "remastering" can make an album sound worse because of this issue, and on how vinyl really isn't better than CD and that the warmer, more laid back sound is more down to recording and mastering practices. How do I know? Because some recordings that I find a bit tedious on CD... I like much better when listening to a digital recording of the vinyl, even if in MP3.

Given that this is New York Times general audience article, I suspect we're lucky that they covered the detail they did. :cool: