PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox server platform choice. Readynas?

revoli
2019-01-29, 12:39
My Readynas Ultra 2 dedicated squeezebox server appears to have given up the ghost and I need to migrate to something else. Whilst I have a PC running constantly which could do it the Readynas was so good at delivering FLAC files around the place I am wondering what people would recommend? Is Squeezebox server (LMS) even available for the latest readynas boxes or need I look elsewhere? It serves multiple touches across home network all based on FLAC files decoded at the Touch end by external DAC so does have a bit of work to do.

Thanks

edwin2006
2019-01-29, 12:48
I would say, take a pi for LMS and store the flac files on a new nas.

Stig Nygaard
2019-01-29, 13:08
Another option could be a Synology NAS.
Myself, I replaced my Netgear Ultra 2 with a Synology DS716+II a couple of years ago, and have only been happy with that choice. It even looks like the Netgear (and equally fits in my CD-rack;-)). I use the nightly-based LMS builds for Synology by Pinkdot. There's a recent Synology discussion here:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110022-Synology-hardware-recommendations-for-LMS

No, as far as I know there's no official, recent or often updated LMS versions for the new Netgears...

mark wollschlager
2019-01-29, 14:23
LMS runs pretty well on my Netgear readynas 516.
I just upgraded to a 7.9.2 nightly the other day.
It uses one of the LMS debian packages along with a readynas add-in available from a readynas forum user.
The add-on has not been updated for a while, but seems to work ok with the new releases.

revoli
2019-01-30, 03:58
I would say, take a pi for LMS and store the flac files on a new nas.

I need to do some reading to understand what I can do with a Pi. Where to start?

revoli
2019-01-30, 04:11
Another option could be a Synology NAS.
Myself, I replaced my Netgear Ultra 2 with a Synology DS716+II a couple of years ago, and have only been happy with that choice. It even looks like the Netgear (and equally fits in my CD-rack;-)). I use the nightly-based LMS builds for Synology by Pinkdot. There's a recent Synology discussion here:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110022-Synology-hardware-recommendations-for-LMS

No, as far as I know there's no official, recent or often updated LMS versions for the new Netgears...

Thanks. I do have a spare synology NAS but itís only the 211 so not up to the job.

It sounds as if LMS is now supported by enthusiasts which makes me wonder about future proofing. I donít want to shell out for kit only to find LMS no longer works on it. Is Pi the route most folks are taking? Whatís the best threads /sources to start on with this?

If Readynas not updating their applets then doesnít seem worth bothering about a new NAS to run it. The whole point was it was one unit that managed itself, power efficient etc. A shame as this worked really well. I might ask Netgear about LMS. Seems an easy win for them to me. Failing that I guess I will just have to run everything off a PC until I can work out the best way to go.

d6jg
2019-01-30, 11:33
Thanks. I do have a spare synology NAS but itís only the 211 so not up to the job.

It sounds as if LMS is now supported by enthusiasts which makes me wonder about future proofing. I donít want to shell out for kit only to find LMS no longer works on it. Is Pi the route most folks are taking? Whatís the best threads /sources to start on with this?

If Readynas not updating their applets then doesnít seem worth bothering about a new NAS to run it. The whole point was it was one unit that managed itself, power efficient etc. A shame as this worked really well. I might ask Netgear about LMS. Seems an easy win for them to me. Failing that I guess I will just have to run everything off a PC until I can work out the best way to go.

Look under Linux / Unix and the latest PiCorePlayer thread. You will find plenty of help there but simplistically you download the PiCorePlayer image, burn it to a microSD card and put it in to the Pi and fire it up. Then you configure it to point at the files on your NAS (any decent NAS) and then install and configure LMS on it. All done via the inbuilt web server.
Once done. Itís done. Just park it away by the NAS and almost forget about it.

Stig Nygaard
2019-01-30, 12:20
It sounds as if LMS is now supported by enthusiasts which makes me wonder about future proofing. I don’t want to shell out for kit only to find LMS no longer works on it. Is Pi the route most folks are taking? What’s the best threads /sources to start on with this?

Besides Pinkdot's nightlies for Synology, Synology has actually two official releases of LMS. One based on latest official Logitech release and one based on latest "community release" (they call the last one for "Beta", but I think it is just because it is not based on an official Logitech release). It is my impression that Synology is the best supported NAS system right now for LMS, and they make pretty good NAS devices too. That does however not mean I think you should choose it instead of a Rasp.Pi solution, if that is tempting you.

Going the way of Raspberry PI is definitely the coolest way to go, and the funniest if you like "fiddling a bit" before it works. With Rasp.Pi you will be 100% dependent of enthusiasts, but there are many of them, and always someone ready to help.

Btw, I have a Raspberry Pi based device myself too (as you might see in my signature). It is my player-device (a "Squeezebox Touch clone"), and it works great. It could theoretically run my LMS too, but I just find it more natural to run LMS on the same device as I have my music stored.

Dogberry2
2019-01-31, 06:24

LMS in any flavor is supported by enthusiasts; there is no "officially supported" path anymore. I'm still running it on a ReadyNAS Ultra 4, and haven't had a hiccup in years; I just upgrade disk storage as needed when space gets low (which the ReadyNAS makes very easy). But whatever platform you go with, the LMS build you use will be unofficial.

bernt
2019-02-01, 00:07
LMS in any flavor is supported by enthusiasts; there is no "officially supported" path anymore. I'm still running it on a ReadyNAS Ultra 4, and haven't had a hiccup in years; I just upgrade disk storage as needed when space gets low (which the ReadyNAS makes very easy). But whatever platform you go with, the LMS build you use will be unofficial.

Is that true? I think mherge is a Logitech employee and the mainteainer of LMS.

Stig Nygaard
2019-02-01, 02:15

I think Dogberry2 was talking about LMS on NAS systems. And it is increasingly difficult to find "official builds" for direct instalment on various NAS systems.

Dogberry2
2019-02-01, 08:36

My understanding is that Logitech no longer supports, or upgrades, LMS, and that although Michael is employed by Logitech, his work on LMS is entirely unofficial and is just his own personal interest. If I've misunderstood, I'm sure Michael will correct me, but that's the way I've interpreted the situation.

mherger
2019-02-02, 15:10
> My understanding is that Logitech no longer supports, or upgrades, LMS,
> and that although Michael is employed by Logitech, his work on LMS is
> entirely unofficial and is just his own personal interest. If I've
> misunderstood, I'm sure Michael will correct me, but that's the way I've
> interpreted the situation.

7.7.x still is considered "officially supported". This means that it
does see updates in case of security issues, or improved compatibility
with eg. new Windows builds. But most of the development (in particular
new features) only goes in to the 7.9.x branch. And this branch is the
"community supported" code.

Only a few weeks ago I actually got feedback from a user who
successfully resolved an issue with the help of our tech support!

--

Michael

revoli
2019-02-03, 05:20
Many thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated. I need to go read up on all this. Meanwhile just running LMS on my office PC which works fine but Iím old fashioned and like things separated physically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgdawson
2019-02-06, 18:06
Another cheap option, and what I use, is Raspberry-Pi using Max2play. (here (https://www.max2play.com/en/))

R Greg Dawson

castalla
2019-02-07, 12:35
Cheaper still - raspberry pi zero w - about 25 usd with case

Peter Galbavy
2019-02-14, 09:25
My LMS was running on an RPi for some time before I consolidated my media services onto a i7 based NUC like miniPC - Plex & Emby for video and an option for music and LMS for the music. The RPi did fine but if you attach more than one portable HDD then you need a powered USB hub.

The throughput limits around Ethernet and USB for disk are never reached for music files BUT do not expect to do any transcoding...