PDA

View Full Version : My project - picore player

Jste84
2019-01-26, 10:51
I'm hoping someone with more expertise in this matter will be able to give thoughts/feedback on my idea.

Ive already had great help from you guys so I'm crossing my fingers that someone can help.

I've got picore player set up and running perfectly via HDMI and aux to my tv + big Bluetooth speaker.

I've gutted a retro stlye radio and have plans to fit a pi3b inside. I've limited space and I'm trying to find a cost effective way of getting decent sound from this. I plan to repeat this with different retro radios to create a multi room experience.

So my idea is to use something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Ext...E4Q25BAHTCSR2A

Then connect a speaker to it using aux. (I've not found a speaker yet that's ideal - I need it to stay powered on, and it needs to be a reasonable size as I plan to house this in the radio.

That brings me to my last problem... Power...I was thinking of a usb power source, with 2 usb ports (to connect the speaker and pi)

I've also looked at DACs etc but I've never connected one before and I'm hopeless at soldering ...

Would love to hear

1. If my plan would work
2. Speaker suggestions (I'm guessing they need to be powered if running from the pi)
3. What you'd do differently
4. Any other suggestions.

To give an idea of space I have a pi on one side, and room to connect cables to power the other side (where the speaker was) I've room to put a pi sized speaker, possibly a little bigger

Cheers

philippe_44
2019-01-26, 22:06
I'm hoping someone with more expertise in this matter will be able to give thoughts/feedback on my idea.

Ive already had great help from you guys so I'm crossing my fingers that someone can help.

I've got picore player set up and running perfectly via HDMI and aux to my tv + big Bluetooth speaker.

I've gutted a retro stlye radio and have plans to fit a pi3b inside. I've limited space and I'm trying to find a cost effective way of getting decent sound from this. I plan to repeat this with different retro radios to create a multi room experience.

So my idea is to use something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Ext...E4Q25BAHTCSR2A

Then connect a speaker to it using aux. (I've not found a speaker yet that's ideal - I need it to stay powered on, and it needs to be a reasonable size as I plan to house this in the radio.

That brings me to my last problem... Power...I was thinking of a usb power source, with 2 usb ports (to connect the speaker and pi)

I've also looked at DACs etc but I've never connected one before and I'm hopeless at soldering ...

Would love to hear

1. If my plan would work
2. Speaker suggestions (I'm guessing they need to be powered if running from the pi)
3. What you'd do differently
4. Any other suggestions.

To give an idea of space I have a pi on one side, and room to connect cables to power the other side (where the speaker was) I've room to put a pi sized speaker, possibly a little bigger

Cheers

The link is a 404 because of the way you've copied/pasted it so I don't know what you refer to exactly and it(s difficult to picture size etc ...

I read you're hopeless with soldering, but with very simple soldering, you could do a lot. You should try, it's not very complicated and there are a lot of good video tutorials

1- if the speakers/radio you're looking to retrofit has its own power amp, then you can use a Pi3A,pick up the power supply from any acceptable place in the speaker and use something like that to power the Pi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N43CH1T/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548564726&sr=8-2&keywords=buck+boost+5V+usb (there are plenty of converters that will give you the 5V required by the Pi). You can then connect the line out of the Pi to the line in of your radio/powered speaker

2- Alternatively, you can use a PiZeroW and a hat like these ones https://www.justboom.co/product-category/raspberry-pi-audio-boards/ to get line out, if it's a better fit

3- If the speakers/radio are not powered (you've removed everything from the gutted radio), you can use the above hat that has a built-in amplifier. Then you need to connect the power jack of the hat to the ouside of the enclosure and that's all. There are hats for all Pi sizes and a few other companies doing similar solutions