PDA

View Full Version : Stream from mobile Device (Apple) to LMS and distribute to Players

s25a
2019-01-24, 10:42
Hi everyone,

I have a question on how to bring music which is on your mobile device to LMS an than distribute it to the Players connected to it.

I think there are 2 ways of doing it:

1) Stream via Airplay to a specific Player. This works great with Philips ShareTunes2 Plugin. Easy to install and you can directly select the Players which are connected to the LMS.
What is not possible is to stream your music to a group of players. For example if you want to have the music in several rooms.

2) Stream to Bridge (e.G. an AppleTV or Airport) and connect this device to the LMS using the WaveInput Plugin. I could not test this yet but from my understanding this could be used to also distribute the music to a Group of Players, right?
The advantage than could be that you have a reliable wireless connection (which is also support from the hw vendor).

Is my understanding right that with the 2nd "Stream to bridge" way, I could use this to stream to more than one Player? If not is there any further way you could recommend to get this to work?

Thank you very much

S

d6jg
2019-01-24, 11:39
I think 2) will work but I donít think 1) will for the reason you have given

BosseJ
2019-01-24, 13:32
Hi everyone,

I have a question on how to bring music which is on your mobile device to LMS an than distribute it to the Players connected to it.

I think there are 2 ways of doing it:

1) Stream via Airplay to a specific Player. This works great with Philips ShareTunes2 Plugin. Easy to install and you can directly select the Players which are connected to the LMS.
What is not possible is to stream your music to a group of players. For example if you want to have the music in several rooms.

2) Stream to Bridge (e.G. an AppleTV or Airport) and connect this device to the LMS using the WaveInput Plugin. I could not test this yet but from my understanding this could be used to also distribute the music to a Group of Players, right?
The advantage than could be that you have a reliable wireless connection (which is also support from the hw vendor).

Is my understanding right that with the 2nd "Stream to bridge" way, I could use this to stream to more than one Player? If not is there any further way you could recommend to get this to work?

Thank you very much

S

I just tested no 1 and it works perfectly: I have installed the Group Players plugin (by philippe_44) and set up a group of three players (2 Touch and a picoreplayer) called "helahuset". Then I started the Tidal app on my iPhone and sent the output via airplay to "helahuset" which was in the list of available airplay devices. Staretd to play and it just played on all players associated with the gorup player, in perfect synch (AFAICT).

I don't know about your 2nd alternative; seems complex and difficult to me?

mrw
2019-01-24, 15:16
Iíll add my voice to BosseJís - I am currently using option no 1 as outlined. Seems ok to me.

s25a
2019-01-25, 00:07
Hi,

thank you very much for the information. That helped a lot :-)
I did not know the Group Plugin. This is really good.

However - and I had that also before when I streamed to one Single Player:
Sometimes it cannot connect to the device. It takes some time and than there's a hint that Airplay cannot be played.
2 Minutes later it works perfectly. I know this from other (non apple) Airplay devices as well. The only device that almost works 100% is either an Airport or Apple-TV.
As we all do not know 100% what apple does in his communication that makes sense.

So in addition to this I will also try the WaveIN just to see how this works. Maybe that has other issues.

I tried to start with it but the repository is no longer available. Does anybody know where to get this?

Thanks S

bpa
2019-01-25, 01:49
So in addition to this I will also try the WaveIN just to see how this works. Maybe that has other issues.

I tried to start with it but the repository is no longer available. Does anybody know where to get this?

IIRC The plugin is provided as part of the LMS set of 3rd party plugins. It is still available (WebUI Settings/Plugins/3rd party plugins/WaveInput) unless VB 2.4 does something odd.

WaveInput Plugin is a last resort and often not a very satisfactory solution. Audio quality may be compromised (two conversions) and very dependent on line-in hardware. Also there can be a delay due to buffering and recompressing into Flac which varies according to system and if it is a few seconds - some find intolerable.

cramcram
2019-01-25, 03:54
1) Works fine even without the group player plugin. Just airplay stream to one device, sync this device to others in LMS Webinterface/iPeng and there you go :)