PDA

View Full Version : Google Wifi Connecting to Logitech Media Server

lordsparky
2019-01-14, 09:30
I have a Transporter and a Squeezebox Receiver both connected by ethernet to my AT&T internet/Wifi router. I have a Logitech Controller (remote) and recently purchased iPeng. I have an iPhone 8 and run Logitech Media Server on Windows 10. Two weeks ago, I switched to Google Wifi (1 unit connected to the AT&T router/3 units as remote mesh network). I turned off the Wifi on the AT&T router and connected the Controller and Ipeng to the new Google Wifi. Everything worked great until a few days later when my Controller would no longer connect to LMS. It showed in the Google Wifi and Google Wifi showed in the Controller. I had WEMOs which only work with 2.5 GHZ that I had to get rid of since they suddenly cut off (known problem with Google Wifi) so I figured it was the same problem with the Logitech Controller. I switched to the old AT&T Wifi on my phone and on the Controller and the iPeng was able to find the Transporter and the Controller was also able to connect to the Transporter. Then I switched to the new Google Wifi to see what would happen. The Controller and iPeng work for several hours or several days then cut off. Now as a workaround, I am running both my phone (when using iPeng) and the Controller on the old AT&T Wifi. From what I understand, Google Wifi transmits both 2.5 and 5 GHZ but you are unable to specify only 2.5 GHZ which breaks many devices designed only for 2.5 GHZ.

Have you heard of this problem and do you have any ideas on how to make the Controller and iPeng work just on the Google Wifi?

Controller/Under Server Info:

mysqueezebox.com
Shows IP address

Ping
OK

TCP Port 3483
OK

TCP Port 9000
OK

mysqueezebox.com registration
Registered

Logitech Media Server
Shows IP address

Library Name
My Music

Ping
Can't Ping

TCP Port 3483
Can't Connect

TCP Port 9000
Can't Connect

d6jg
2019-01-14, 13:36
Is there client isolation on the Google WiFi device?

BosseJ
2019-01-14, 14:11
Is there client isolation on the Google WiFi device?

Client isolation does not seem to be available on the Google wifi (I think it is rare for consumer grade wifi router to have it). IMO it is more likely an effect of having two routers active on the network. Depending on how the Google router is connected to the ISP's router it can be:
- double NAT's (if the Google router's WAN-port is connected to a LAN-port on the ISP's router); this will stop LMS connections.
- double DHCP servers causing confusion among connected devices, but that would probably cause visible error messages on connected PC's ...
IMHO, the best way to use two wifi routers is to keep to the ISP router but disable the wifi only, and set the Google device as an AP (access point) only. That would disable any NAT'ing on the Google device and also disable trhe DHCP server there.

d6jg
2019-01-14, 14:18
I agree but it should also be noted that you would then need to connect the WiFi device to a LAN port on the router using one of its own LAN ports.
The WAN port on the WiFi device should not be used. Dhcp needs to stay on the router.
I use Draytek kit and this sort of setup is easy and totally reliable.

cramcram
2019-01-14, 16:31
My controller works fine on Google WiFi since months. So the problem lies presumably somewhere else...