PDA

View Full Version : Original SLIMP3 repair

Edmund C
2019-01-08, 13:03
My original SLIMP3 died and I think it's the LAN controller because there's a small brown mark on it and the SLIMP3 is failing to connect to the LAN - no lights on the LAN switch. Has anyone tried replacing the CS8900A-CQ chip? Are the board schematics available? Any suggestions are welcome.

philippe_44
2019-01-09, 12:02
My original SLIMP3 died and I think it's the LAN controller because there's a small brown mark on it and the SLIMP3 is failing to connect to the LAN - no lights on the LAN switch. Has anyone tried replacing the CS8900A-CQ chip? Are the board schematics available? Any suggestions are welcome.

Should be fairly easy to replace if you can find it on alibaba

philippe_44
2019-01-10, 20:00
Should be fairly easy to replace if you can find it on alibaba

Seems to be still active: https://www.mouser.com/_/?Keyword=CS8900A&FS=True

Fizbin
2019-01-11, 05:07
Keep an eye out for ebay. Last summer I saw a working SLIMP3 go for $12.00.

Edmund C
2019-01-12, 11:53
The part is available on Digikey in the US in a Lead-Free version, the original part was not lead-free, most US board manufacturers did not make lead-free until the several years after the SLIMP3 was built. Replacing a 50-pin SMT part is extremely difficult. I used a heat gun to remove the old part and in the cleanup process I lost a couple of tracks from the board. I figured that I could replace them but after soldering the new part on it's still dead. SMT technology is very difficult to repair when you are working with very old boards and 50-pin devices. I'll put the old boards in a bag and save them in case my other SLIMP3 player display dies.

Edmund C
2019-01-12, 11:55
Keep an eye out for ebay. Last summer I saw a working SLIMP3 go for $12.00.

That's less than I paid for the chip! You're right, I should have just bought a replacement.