PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox app on iOS 12 - Not working

mrw
2019-01-04, 15:14
After acquiring a new iPad, running iOS 12, I find that I can longer use the Squeezebox app. This is the message I get when I try to launch it:

“This app needs to be updated by the developer to work on this version of iOS.”

Is there an intention to get it working under iOS 12 ? I have found it a very useable app.

jimzak
2019-01-04, 17:32
I'll attempt this one.

Others correct me I am wrong.

If you're referring to the official Logitech app, then an update is unlikely. Consider a third party app like iPeng.

If you're referring to a third party app, contact the party that did the programming.

Good luck.

HNY.

mrw
2019-01-05, 04:40
If you're referring to the official Logitech app, then an update is unlikely. Consider a third party app like iPeng.
I was, and I fear you may be right. Which would be a shame. I shall choose to remain hopeful.

d6jg
2019-01-05, 04:45
IPeng is only a few $ and light years better than the Logitech app. Get yourself a copy or use the Material Skin which has been designed for html5 compliant browsers particularly with smart phones in mind.

Man in a van
2019-01-05, 05:57
Also

http://squeezepad.com/

pippin
2019-01-05, 08:43
I was, and I fear you may be right. Which would be a shame. I shall choose to remain hopeful.

Logitech didn't update the Squeezebox App for at least 6 years and it's been off the App Store for more than a year now. You can remain hopeful, but I wouldn't.

mrw
2019-01-05, 17:24
You can remain hopeful, but I wouldn't.
You have tempered my expectations. :) Thanks to all for the suggestions.

forestcaver
2019-01-11, 07:55
Logitech didn't update the Squeezebox App for at least 6 years and it's been off the App Store for more than a year now. You can remain hopeful, but I wouldn't.

Note - the ipeng app (that I paid for along with the play-on-the-device add-on) wasn’t updated either. Instead new versions were released that you have to pay for yet again... not going to get caught out again.... you can remain hopeful that the developer will update the 32 bit version to work with ios12, but I wouldn’t.

pippin
2019-01-11, 08:06
Note - the ipeng app (that I paid for along with the play-on-the-device add-on) wasn’t updated either. Instead new versions were released that you have to pay for yet again... not going to get caught out again.... you can remain hopeful that the developer will update the 32 bit version to work with ios12, but I wouldn’t.

This is true, but that was more than five years ago, all updates since then were free.
There were several reasons for this but essentially the most important one is that we just can't keep updating an app with a limited user base (since Logitech discontinued the Squeezebox system more than 6 years ago) forever without generating any income.
And then it also was time to do away with the separation between an iPhone and an iPad App which was historically rooted in how the iOS devices originally evolved. After all, the first iPeg was launched more than 10 years ago.
We also did run discounts for existing users for several years... essentially while Apple provided facilities that allowed to do this through the App Store.

And you don't have to pay for the playback add-on again, just for the app.
Here's the announcement from back then:
https://penguinlovesmusic.de/2013/12/11/introducing-ipeng-7/

ftlight
2019-01-11, 18:16
This is true, but that was more than five years ago, all updates since then were free.
I was more than happy in 2013 to pay Pippin a few extra dollars for the iPeng upgrade.

Where else could you get this level of support, not to mention the continuing development of the app, for such a small contribution?

Bill

d6jg
2019-01-12, 10:14
I agree. It’s less than the price of one CD and completes the LMS experience imho

gorman
2019-01-12, 10:20
I completely vouch for pippin's support. The few dollars he asks for his app are amply repaid after very little time. Heck, if you have an old iPad you can transform it in a "deluxe" Squeezebox, with a great touch interface.

forestcaver
2019-01-20, 06:13
There were several reasons for this but essentially the most important one is that we just can't keep updating an app with a limited user base (since Logitech discontinued the Squeezebox system more than 6 years ago) forever without generating any income.
https://penguinlovesmusic.de/2013/12/11/introducing-ipeng-7/

I just noted the irony of you noting that Logitech were not supporting their old app....

I wont buy again as I have no confidence that you wont keep deprecating it and reselling it each time there is an ios update (and it’s not a cheap app).

pippin
2019-01-20, 08:33
I just noted the irony of you noting that Logitech were not supporting their old app....

I wont buy again as I have no confidence that you wont keep deprecating it and reselling it each time there is an ios update (and it’s not a cheap app).

Well, a difference is that Logitech don’t support any iOS version anymore at all...
We have not charged for new versions for the last 5 iOS updates (last time we did a whole new App was for iOS 7) and I have no plans to do this again.

But you are right: I’m not giving any guarantee. It’s not possible to do big ongoing developments without any revenue, so yes, if some new development on Apple‘s side requires a big redesign or change again that I can’t otherwise justify I’m going to look for ways to monetize again instead of stopping support altogether (which would be the alternative).

Jeff07971
2019-01-20, 09:44
I have used iPeng for many years and have only paid for it twice, if I have to pay for it again occasionally I will, its cheap and works well.

You have to be a bit of a moron to not pay a couple of $,£, whatever but you will pay 100's for a iPad with built in obsolescence

Jeff

d6jg
2019-01-20, 14:12
You have to be a bit of a moron to not pay a couple of $,£, whatever but you will pay 100's for a iPad with built in obsolescence

Jeff

I thought the slight complexity of LMS setup was a natural barrier to entry for those with low IQ. It seems not.

forestcaver
2019-01-20, 15:42
I have used iPeng for many years and have only paid for it twice, if I have to pay for it again occasionally I will, its cheap and works well.

Jeff

Wow - no need for insults or lowering the tone of debate and name calling - I’m impressed with your intellect by the way - typing “moron” and “whatever” has certainly confirmed your intellectual superiority - well done, you’ve definitely convinced me with your fine rhetoric!
I’m off back to lurking - clearly not clever enough for this witty repartee. Byee and thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff07971
2019-01-20, 15:57
Wow - no need for insults or lowering the tone of debate and name calling - I’m impressed with your intellect by the way - typing “moron” and “whatever” has certainly confirmed your intellectual superiority - well done, you’ve definitely convinced me with your fine rhetoric!
I’m off back to lurking - clearly not clever enough for this witty repartee. Byee and thanks for your thoughts.

You basically accused a most dedicated developer of profiteering and not being trustworthy, I see that as an insult

I simply made the point that buying an ipad for hundreds and then not paying a small amount for a good app is stupid and I purposely did not make it a "reply" to you.

pippin
2019-01-20, 20:24
C‘mon guys, no need fo insults.
Forestcaver doesn’t want pay for an app unless he gets a guarantee that he’ll get free updates essentially forever and that‘s his right. I can’t give that guarantee so we have to agree that iPeng is not for him.

He also states that he has no trust that we won’t charge with every iOS update and evidence is strongly against that - there have been 10 major iOS releases since iPeng first came out and I deprecated an iPeng version only once, but yes, that was five years ago and he might be forgiven to think it might happen again now. I have no plans like that but I also won’t give a guarantee, one never knows what happens in six months or a year or two.

So yes, it’s his money and his decision to make.

jamesrfisher
2019-01-21, 06:24
Let's face it, he has the choice but it is his loss. i have used ipeng ever since i got an SBT and think it a bargain.

revoli
2019-01-30, 04:32
Ipeng rules. Wish it was on android too. Best few bucks I have spent in years