PDA

View Full Version : "blips" in the stream

MikeDC
2019-01-02, 09:02
When streaming radio over the internet, I get frequent "blips" (sound quits for a split-second). This does not occur when streaming from my NAS. Is there a setting I can tweak to increase a buffer size or something that might help clear this up?

Thanks.

Mike

Man in a van
2019-01-02, 09:18
Which device

Wireless or Ethernet connection

Which stream url/s

Which country and ISP connection

Which LMS

Which computer OS

bpa
2019-01-02, 09:42
When streaming radio over the internet, I get frequent "blips" (sound quits for a split-second). This does not occur when streaming from my NAS. Is there a setting I can tweak to increase a buffer size or something that might help clear this up?

If it were network related you'd probably get "rebuffering" since this has not been mentioned - this looks to be system and player related and maybe format fo the streams.

MikeDC
2019-01-02, 10:11
Which device - SB Radio, Squeezelite on NAS to PS Audio DAC.

Wireless or Ethernet connection - happens on both

Which stream url/s - not only one, but example: URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s164070&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=b0297aa

URL: http://choral.stream.publicradio.org/choral.mp3

Which country and ISP connection - US, Comcast

Which LMS - 7.8.0

Which computer OS - Linux, and PC/Windows

bpa
2019-01-02, 10:56
Playing the choral URL - I get blips when using mplayer - so the problem with that URL is in the source.

edit:

Also with VLC - so definitely soruce issue.

Recetnly I've notice an increasing number of varuous weird internet stream "glitches" which have been reported on different station and they seem to be related to insertion of ads - I wonder if this is something similar.

MikeDC
2019-01-02, 11:23
Playing the choral URL - I get blips when using mplayer - so the problem with that URL is in the source.

edit:

Also with VLC - so definitely soruce issue.

Recetnly I've notice an increasing number of varuous weird internet stream "glitches" which have been reported on different station and they seem to be related to insertion of ads - I wonder if this is something similar.

Thanks for confirming. I suspected it was the source, and wondered if there was any "correction" that LMS could provide by buffering and removing the "blips" but that would be pretty sophisticated and probably require more of a hardware solution.

bpa
2019-01-02, 11:31
Thanks for confirming. I suspected it was the source, and wondered if there was any "correction" that LMS could provide by buffering and removing the "blips" but that would be pretty sophisticated and probably require more of a hardware solution.

AFAICT (looking at mplayer processing of incoming packets) these are not stoppages of the stream but chunks of silence inserted or an error in the mp3 encoding which requires a reset of the decoder - buffering will not help - it is at mp3 frame level.

You should email the station and note the problem - it may be a configuration error on their end only noticeable to non US users.

garym
2019-01-02, 12:04
I have a local NPR station with these 'blips'. Sometimes very bad, other times not too bad. I've been in contact with the station and they know about this but seem to have a hard time fixing (small station with very little money). I get same blips on home LMS, foobar2000 on work computer, smart phone app streaming via cell service out of town. So it's definitely a source issue.

(I had another music station that used to do this a lot too, but they fixed a couple of years ago and have been good since then...)