PDA

View Full Version : Need Duet replacement

StanByk
2018-12-29, 15:10
Hi everyone,

It would be fantastic to get your advice. My squeezebox duet receiver has seemingly given up the ghost and I am therefore looking for alternatives. So far I have used logitechmediaserver installed on a linux system to stream my music (mostly apple lossless) and to listen to internet radio. I really like LMS and if possible would like to keep it, but am open to other solutions as well. The Receiver was connected to my amp via an Arcam DAC.

Having searched around on the internet for a bit I have to say I am really unsure of what option I should go for. To start with my budget is in the region of £300 (to £500). I would like to use a digital connection from the device to my amp and need to be able to access internet radio streams and play my music, which is located on my linux server (on a samba share).

So far I identified the following products:

Sonos Connect
Arcam Rplay
Yamaxa WXA-50
Raspberry PI
Chromecast Audio

I am not terribly keen on the Raspberry PI solution, but willing to consider it. I have build Raspberry video streaming solutions before, but was never really that happy with the results, partially because I can't be bothered to put the effort in, but also because the systems I had built/installed were too slow, but I guess that shouldn't be too much of an issue with audio streaming. However, I guess in this case I could keep using my LMS setup.

Chromecast audio: no idea how easy it is to setup.

Sonos connect, Arcam Rplay, Yamaha WXA-50: I read somewhere that all streaming to those devices requires the stream to go through your mobile device - rather than that they can pick up the stream directly. Is this true or did I misunderstand this completely? I am happy to use my iphone as a remote control, but don't want the stream to come from my phone? If I go for any of these, could I still use my LMS installation on my linux server to stream music to those devices? Would I need plugins (upnp?) on the server side? I read that the Arcam comes with dts-playfi and the yamaha with musiccast, but I don't really know how they work apart from what I found in some superficial youtube videos.

As I said above, I am a bit overwhelmed by the information out there. Any help I could get would be very much appreciated! In case I have overlooked similar threads in the past, could you possibly redirect me to them. I did look but couldn't really find anything that would answer my questions.

Thank you all in advance
Robert

mark wollschlager
2018-12-29, 15:31
A Pi3+ with a hifiberry digi+ running PiCorePlayer or Max2Play would enable you to keep the DAC and get back running for ~100 with a fancy case.
There are other digi boards but a proof of concept ( and perhaps a keeper ) is quite possible for a relatively modest outlay.
You can Always spend more.

Apesbrain
2018-12-29, 16:02
If you decide to go the Raspberry Pi route, instructions are here:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106910-HOW-TO-Squeezebox-player-on-Raspberry-Pi-with-(or-without)-HiFiBerry-board&highlight=raspberry+pi

And here is the parts list:
http://a.co/7JW8CkQ

Will run around $130 for the configuration you want.

castalla
2018-12-29, 16:21
A yamaha wxad10 can play streams from LMS using the airplaybridge or the upnpbridge - good sound via your hifi. Chromecasts work also via the chromecastbridge. Sonos Connect (similar to a yamaha in performance, more expensive, but will give you access to the Sonos music services as well as running via LMS and upnpbridge).

Greg Erskine
2018-12-29, 16:55
hi StanByk,

Before you start spending too much money, have you considered it may only be the Duet's power supply that has failed. Anecdotal evidence suggests PSU failure is one of the most common faults.

If you still have a Raspberry Pi, you could just get a "Digi" out HAT for a few dollars, so you could still use your DAC. Very cheap to test, but I can understand if you don't want to get your hands dirty.

regards
Greg

left channel
2018-12-29, 22:10
You can buy a used Duet or Touch on eBay. I see a few of each listed on ebay.co.uk

I also see a replacement mains power supply there. As suggested above, that may be your only problem.

Another option is an Intel-based mini HTPC. Add an inexpensive external DAC and your favorite flavor of Linux, or even Windows Home, and you may still be within budget. If Windows, then install the free Squeezelite-X app from the Microsoft Store and you'd be off-and-running.

cfuttrup
2018-12-30, 02:19
I am not terribly keen on the Raspberry PI solution, but willing to consider it. I have build Raspberry video streaming solutions before, but was never really that happy with the results, partially because I can't be bothered to put the effort in, but also because the systems I had built/installed were too slow, but I guess that shouldn't be too much of an issue with audio streaming. However, I guess in this case I could keep using my LMS setup.

Hi Robert,

I just finished building my first Raspberry Pi streamer. I'm surprised how easy and fast it is to build and setup, but I guess you're ahead of me there, since you already have the experience.

piCorePlayer is an entirely different "animal" than the other options, because it's so fast. I think you'll love it.

Yes, keep using your existing LMS setup. That's what I do (running on my NAS).

Cheers,
Claus

GeorgeG
2018-12-30, 04:34
hi StanByk,

Before you start spending too much money, have you considered it may only be the Duet's power supply that has failed. Anecdotal evidence suggests PSU failure is one of the most common faults.

If you still have a Raspberry Pi, you could just get a "Digi" out HAT for a few dollars, so you could still use your DAC. Very cheap to test, but I can understand if you don't want to get your hands dirty.

regards
Greg

My Transporter would only work in digital out and as I was using my Squeezebox with my digital amp it was u/s with my Quad analogue amp. After reading advice on this forum I replaced the PSU for about £7.99 and hey presto itís now fully functional. Definitely worth swapping out the PSU on the Duet - even if it fails itís not much of a financial loss.

bpa
2018-12-30, 05:19
Duets are very reliable but the two main faults
are
* PSU
* WLAN card failure (even if not used) stops receiver.

IIRC unlike the other players with displays, the receiver will not boot without a WLAN card.

StanByk
2018-12-30, 09:00
Thanks a lot to everyone who has replied so far. This is super helpful for me.

Okay, my course of action will be:

1) Look into replacing the PSU of the receiver. Not 100% sure where to start. Do you mean just the power cable or the actual internals of the duet receiver?

2) Build a Rasperry Pi system (around £120 if I buy everything off amazon or from hifiberry). This should be easy and I fill conformable with it as I have done similar projects before.

3) look into buying the Sonos Connect or Yamaha WXA-50 and try to connect them to LMS with the upnpbridge plugin. This is obviously the most expensive solution, but on the other hand I am quite curious what these systems offer as I have never used anything else then the duet and LMS.

Thank you so much! Greg, George and bpa, please let me know if you actually mean the internal part of the power supply or the external part (e.g. the power supply cable).

Robert

left channel
2018-12-30, 09:55
1) Look into replacing the PSU of the receiver. Not 100% sure where to start. Do you mean just the power cable or the actual internals of the duet receiver?

Thank you so much! Greg, George and bpa, please let me know if you actually mean the internal part of the power supply or the external part (e.g. the power supply cable).

They mean this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-Squeezebox-Duet-Receiver-9V-Mains-AC-DC-Adaptor-Power-Supply-Charger/352135817492

If that doesn't work, next you could try one of the Duets listed there without remotes.

TomAmes
2018-12-30, 12:14
Hi Robert,

I just finished building my first Raspberry Pi streamer. I'm surprised how easy and fast it is to build and setup, but I guess you're ahead of me there, since you already have the experience.

piCorePlayer is an entirely different "animal" than the other options, because it's so fast. I think you'll love it.

Yes, keep using your existing LMS setup. That's what I do (running on my NAS).

Cheers,
Claus

+1

I recently went this route to replace one Duet receiver and add another player. It was my first experience with a RPi and quite intimidating at first glance. It turned out to be relatively simple by following the excellent and detailed directions on this site (primarily the one linked by apesbrain above).

Good luck!

mark wollschlager
2018-12-30, 15:49
This is the power supply I have purchased for all three of my receivers.
It may need a mains adapter for the plug, or be available from amazon uk with the proper plug.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZJA1RX0/ref=ppx_od_b_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeff07971
2018-12-30, 16:01
Thanks a lot to everyone who has replied so far. This is super helpful for me.

Okay, my course of action will be:

2) Build a Rasperry Pi system (around £120 if I buy everything off amazon or from hifiberry). This should be easy and I fill conformable with it as I have done similar projects before.

3) look into buying the Sonos Connect or Yamaha WXA-50 and try to connect them to LMS with the upnpbridge plugin. This is obviously the most expensive solution, but on the other hand I am quite curious what these systems offer as I have never used anything else then the duet and LMS.

Robert

This is the part from amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-PSA05R-090-Receiver-replacement-adaptor/dp/B007XB4XVG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546210731&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Logitech+PSA05R-090

Jeff

d6jg
2019-01-02, 05:17

Before you go this route make sure you have checked in the upnpbridge forum that what you want will work the way you want it to.
upnp/dlna is a buggers muddle in terms of standards. Devices can be "compliant", "certified" or "compatible" and manufacturers interpret the rules to suit themselves.
Philippe's upnpbridge makes the it possible to turn upnp/dlna players (renderers) into SB players but it is fiddly to set up and you may find there are unacceptable compromises which will render this option as the least satisfying as well as "the most expensive solution".

Raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer is far more robust.

StanByk
2019-01-02, 06:30
Hi everyone,

I received the Pi and Hifiberry Digi+ boards the other day. It was super easy to assemble and to get it to work, although I had a small issue with the networking. I am running two subnets, one that has a DHCP server and one that hasn't. I used the router to assign an IP to the MAC of the PI, but had to add the gateway manually. All the other settings were picked up by PiCore without issue.

I guess I now need a few days to play around, but my first impressions are really positive. I am wondering if I should try and add a touchscreen to the Pi and run Squeezelite with a graphical user interface? No idea how difficult this would be. Does anyone here have firsthand experience with this? I found this thread and it sounds as if it would be possible: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104980-Picoreplayer-with-touchscreen-and-jivelite and also this link http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/03/howto-building-and-installing-raspberry.html. If you have any howto's please let me know.

Something else, I got a little heatsink with the Pi board, but didn't use it. Should I stick it on the chip? Not sure how hot these Pis get when playing audio through them.

Thanks,
Robert

sbp
2019-01-02, 06:54
Hi Robert.

Good to hear that you found it easy to use pCP (piCorePlayer).
If you choose to get a touchscreen I will suggest that you get an official 7" raspberrypi touchscreen. This screen is officially supported in pCP and the only thing you need to do is:
1. Attach the screen to your RPi + connect power cables.
2. Install Jivelite (via the "Tweaks" page in pCP) - Reboot and you are good to go.

/Steen

castalla
2019-01-02, 06:55
Before you go this route make sure you have checked in the upnpbridge forum that what you want will work the way you want it to.
upnp/dlna is a buggers muddle in terms of standards. Devices can be "compliant", "certified" or "compatible" and manufacturers interpret the rules to suit themselves.
Philippe's upnpbridge makes the it possible to turn upnp/dlna players (renderers) into SB players but it is fiddly to set up and you may find there are unacceptable compromises which will render this option as the least satisfying as well as "the most expensive solution".

Raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer is far more robust.

The Sonos Connect should work with upnpbridge. The Yamaha will work best with the airplaybridge. The snag with airplay devices is that they must be airplay 1. New airplay 2 devices won't work.

cfuttrup
2019-01-02, 12:59
Hi robert

Archimago is an excellent source - go for it!

For accurate and detailed information on how to hook up the screen, try this video and let me know if it was of any help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWxHiaaI35s

The hook-up is 4-5 minutes into the video ... the rest ist unrelated to this forum. :-)

Cheers,
Claus