PDA

View Full Version : Volume levels fluctuating during a track

soaringeagle
2018-12-28, 03:59
Hi there everyone,

I've tried my best to research this issue and now resorting to brains trust on the forum.

My volume is fluctuating during a given track. It's only subtle changes but noticeable and quite annoying. Not a volume issue when changing tracks which is well documented. Here is some information,

- Configuration is 3 Squeezebox 3's and 2 booms all synced together and volume levels locked
- When the volume levels change it doesn't seem to be isolated to one device, it happens across the devices
- It happens regardless of local or streamed content
- 95% of the time the volume is OK. When the problem happens the volume will dip for a while and then recover.
- All of the devices are running analogue outputs
- Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain is turned off on all devices
- The volume level indication doesn't change on either ipeng or the devices themselves

Hope that someone out there might have an idea what is going on.

Thanks very much,

Paul

garym
2018-12-28, 08:30
No idea. But to diagnose I’d first unsync the players and try one at a time to see if this occurs on a single player. If it does not, I’d synch only one player at a time to see if that is the issue. The idea is that perhaps it is one of the players causing the issue. Also, what is your server and player logs showing at the time this happens.

Are you using LMS or direct from mysqueezebox.com?

drmatt
2018-12-28, 13:42
Another odd little problem. I'm going to assume this is not an encoding problem and the files themselves play ok on other playback systems without volume fluctuations.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

philippe_44
2018-12-28, 19:23
Are they synced « manually » or are you using Group Players plugin?

soaringeagle
2018-12-30, 21:54
Thanks all for the replies,

@garym
- I'll try unsyncing the players. The only challenge being that it's intermittent enough that it would be very time consuming to isolate
- Great idea about the logs. If I turn the paranoids up, it should be easy to correlate the time

@drmatt
- Happens on multiple sources, local and streamed so I'm pretty sure it's not an encoding problem.

@philippe_44
- The only Sync plugin I'm using is syncoptions. I haven't tried your plugin philippe. I assume it does something similar to Syncoptions and certainly seems to be more actively maintained?

philippe_44
2018-12-31, 00:19
Thanks all for the replies,

@philippe_44
- The only Sync plugin I'm using is syncoptions. I haven't tried your plugin philippe. I assume it does something similar to Syncoptions and certainly seems to be more actively maintained?

I was wondering because I’ve seen a few auto volume changes with my plugin but don’t know why

Group Players is different from Syncoptions. It creates as many ‘virtual players’ as you want and each virtual player can contain any number of real players. A real player can be member of many different virtual players. A virtual player is listed in your LMS players list like any other. The syncgroup is created on the fly, when you start playing on the virtual player and is broken up when you stop.

So you don’t have any manual action to take to assemble the group, just play on its virtual player. For example, at home, I have a virtual per floor, one for the whole house and one for listening to podcast that uses a subset of players on each floor.

You can also use the fact that virtual players can have alarms, bitrate limitation, cross fading ...

I’ll stop the commercials here :)

Mnyb
2018-12-31, 00:52
Can syncoptions be confused within its options so that you can some options regarding volume set in way that mess things up ?
Syncing with a player with fixed volume and similar .