PDA

View Full Version : Another yesr

doctor_big
2018-12-25, 18:52
Thanks to everyone who has helped keep our Squeezeboxes alive for another 365 days.

Especially Michael, Greg and the pcp crew and the max2play guys.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Fahzz
2018-12-25, 19:00
Seconded. System was hitting on al cyliders-had great holiday music all week. Thanks!

left channel
2018-12-25, 21:18
+1!

Jeff07971
2018-12-26, 04:10
Yup +1 here too

Mushroom_3
2018-12-26, 04:18
+1. You missed bpa off the list.

doctor_big
2018-12-26, 06:06
+1. You missed bpa off the list.Yeah, and Phillipe. Thank you for all the hard work.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Percival Sweetwater
2018-12-26, 08:32
...and don't forget Material Skin Craig.

Have a good Yesr!

castalla
2018-12-26, 08:37
+1

garym
2018-12-26, 09:28
Yes, thanks to all for keeping this ecosystem alive and improving.

sl7023
2018-12-27, 02:07
I've been using Squeezebox Duet for many years now. During that time, I've expanded my network using Raspberry Pi's, currently with Max2Play installed (I've also used PicorePlayer).

I'm in no doubt that the system is more stable than ever, such that I barely think about how it all works - I'm just happy to have music, on tap, around the house. Which I think is the point !

So I'd like to add my thanks to all the bright people who use their talents to support the community. It's greatly appreciated.

With best wishes for 2019.

philippe_44
2018-12-27, 22:27
Id alors like to pay a tribute to Triode whose work is the core of so many things that we further developed. Squeezelite is what really enables the LMS device ecosystem to continue and expand, its own way. I dont know who he is and why he dIsappeared from this forum, but we all owe him a lot.

mherger
2018-12-27, 23:23
> I’d alors like to pay a tribute to Triode whose work is the core of so
> many things that we further developed. Squeezelite is what really
> enables the LMS device ecosystem to continue and expand, its own way. I
> don’t know who he is and why he dIsappeared from this forum, but we all
> owe him a lot.

Definitely!

--

Michael

lalu01
2018-12-28, 01:38
+1

ModelCitizen
2018-12-28, 01:46
Me too. I still use my Squeezeboxen every day. So big thanks to Sean, Dean, Adrian, Michael, Erland, Bpa, Orange Labs, Pippin, Philippe, and indeed all those who designed and constructed the original product, those who have since created the additional wonderful functionally and those who have maintained the whole shebang. I appreciate it and I owe you a lot. Cheers.

Nikhil
2018-12-28, 03:00
+1

Couldn't agree more. Have been happily using the SB ecosystem since 2005. I recently hooked up one of my SB Touches to a pair of KEF LS50W wireless speakers and I'm super thrilled.

Peiter
2018-12-28, 03:00
+1 :)

pippin
2018-12-28, 03:48
> I’d alors like to pay a tribute to Triode whose work is the core of so
> many things that we further developed. Squeezelite is what really
> enables the LMS device ecosystem to continue and expand, its own way. I
> don’t know who he is and why he dIsappeared from this forum, but we all
> owe him a lot.

Definitely!

--

Michael
+1!!!

CloudAtlas
2018-12-28, 03:49
Me too. I still use my Squeezeboxen every day. So big thanks to Sean, Dean, Adrian, Michael, Erland, Bpa, Orange Labs, Pippin, Philippe, and indeed all those who designed and constructed the original product, those who have since created the additional wonderful functionally and those who have maintained the whole shebang. I appreciate it and I owe you a lot. Cheers.

Totally agree

TomAmes
2018-12-28, 12:05
+1

This system has been such a nice enhancement to my life!

Thanks to all who have contributed!

d6jg
2018-12-28, 18:06
+1

Couldn't agree more. Have been happily using the SB ecosystem since 2005. I recently hooked up one of my SB Touches to a pair of KEF LS50W wireless speakers and I'm super thrilled.

+1

And I want a pair of those KEFs!!

SlimChances
2018-12-29, 09:40

+1 I admired the original Slimp3 when it first came out but did not buy into the system till the first wireless SB1s came out around 2004. Have loved playing and tinkering with Squeezeboxes and hope I have use of them for a long time to come.
Best Wishes for the New Year to all!

JeffHart
2018-12-29, 14:13
+1 still use my setup every day - big thanks to everyone helping to keep LMS up, running, and being continually approved!!

SchwarzeWolke
2018-12-29, 14:49
+1!
System was ready for Christmas and the kids loved it to hear music in the living room!
Great work and great community!

cfuttrup
2018-12-30, 02:56
I wish everybody a happy new year. Next year (by the fall), I've been a member for 10 years. It's so great that this community is thriving! Thanks to the developers, and moderators - and the people who in a positive atmosphere use this forum.

RobbH
2018-12-30, 12:28
I'm approaching my fifth anniversary with LMS. (Got a UE Smart Radio for Christmas 2013; after a little online research, it was UPgraded to Squeezebox Radio a week later.) After all this time, I'm still learning the capabilities of this amazing system. It's been a great year and there are more people who have helped to make it so than I can count. In addition to adding my ditto to all that's been said so far in this thread, I'd like to mention one name that hasn't yet come up in this thread: Ralph Irving. Thanks to all of you!

mandryka
2018-12-30, 13:17
It's fabulous that LMS is still running so well, I've used it for well over 10 years and it really hasn't ever let me down -- at least no more than the occasional reinstall! ;)

Even my old squeezebox classics are surviving well!

jimzak
2018-12-30, 15:15
The best and most flexible music streaming system is still Squeezebox.

You can buy more expensive, less functional equipment any time you want, but I will stick with SB.

Happy Holidays.

marlo
2018-12-30, 15:42
For more than 10 years and even on the wrong side of 50, the Squeezebox system still is teenager music dreams come true.
Love it!

satkinsn
2018-12-30, 21:05
I'm grateful to all mentioned - and especially Michael - and let me add a small note of thanks to the various services who have stuck with the platform despite the limited market. I still use Pandora, Classical Radio and TuneIn all the time, and while it probably isn't much of an investment on their part to stay on SB, the fact that they do it at all pleases me.

s.

philippe_44
2018-12-30, 21:11
I'd like to mention one name that hasn't yet come up in this thread: Ralph Irving. Thanks to all of you!

Absolutely - Im so embarrassed I did not mention @ralphy. In addition to maintaining squeezelite and other key apps, he helped me tremendously when I started to develop to LMS.

Ive always liked my SB as a user but the support I received from @mherger and @bpa when I tried to move to the dev side of it was amazing. And helping a twice newbie was hard ;-)

teeitup
2018-12-30, 23:12
The best thing that ever happened to my music collection.
For those that continue to improve, enhance, and support this great platform, thank you.

Happy New Year!

andifor
2018-12-31, 05:22
Happy new year to all of you!

I started years back with a Squeezebox v3, had several Receivers, a Boom, a Radio and am stuck now with a Receiver and a 3rd party device (from Sonore). I can't say, the system never failed me, but at least not in the last 10 years. I'm happy to have a great system enabling me to listen to good music all over my house and on the go.

callesoroe
2018-12-31, 06:40
+1
Happy user since 2009. And 2018 was an epic year, where I finally got all my 23K tracks rated :)

LMS still rocks.....

bomboloni
2019-01-01, 17:19
+1

Since I work from home, I would estimate I use my Squeeze box system 10 hours a day, so I am extremely grateful to everyone involved in keeping it alive and making improvements.

The irony is that I would have paid Logitech a great deal more for this system if it had the functionality back then as it does today.

Keep up the great work!

bobharp
2019-01-02, 12:08
+1

Many thanks to all who have kept this engine rolling.
There is no other audio product that encompasses the value and versatility.

avalx
2019-01-02, 12:32
+1

jimwillsher
2019-01-04, 11:34
Another "me too" here. I use my various SBs every day and I would be lost without them. I've had them since Sean's days, and still want to hurl insults at Logitech for abandoning ship. I am so happy that the product is still alive due to the kind-hearted folks here.

Jim

Apesbrain
2019-01-04, 13:04
All these years later and Squeezebox is still the best thing going! Happy new year and thanks to everyone who helps keep this great platform alive.

Redrum
2019-01-06, 07:06
late to the party 1++

Now, should I worry about my addiction to everything SB, or just roll with it?

Jim

garym
2019-01-06, 07:10
late to the party 1++

Jim

people were predicting the end of squeezeboxes several years ago. But the ecosystem is even better now (with things like rPi and picoplayer). And even new plugins like Spotty, etc. So just roll with it.

Fahzz
2019-01-06, 19:02
late to the party 1++

Jim

You can always come here for counselling.

TomAmes
2019-01-07, 08:54
You can always come here for counselling.

No, he can't. Only enablers hang out here ;)

slimhase
2019-01-09, 06:02
+1

Many thanks to all who have kept this engine rolling.
There is no other audio product that encompasses the value and versatility.

I also wanted to say thanks to all the already mentioned people, who keep the system alive, improve it and also help people like me with answering questions etc.

I also wanted to thank Logitech - that they keep this site alive and (probably?) still dedicate some resources to it.
I hope they keep it like this for a while....

Other than that: Happy new year to all of you!

RonM
2019-01-09, 07:45
No, he can't. Only enablers hang out here ;)

Sometimes the appropriate response to an addiction concern is to validate the addiction and therefore remove the anxiety. Sometimes.

dmcdayton
2019-01-30, 14:04
Sometimes the appropriate response to an addiction concern is to validate the addiction and therefore remove the anxiety. Sometimes.

<begin rant>
So....what happened Logitech? Did you fire the wrong people? Did they leave on their own accord? Or did your Product Managers screw up? Or Marketing?

After a long circuitous route back to my mothballed SB3...I'm amazed still sounds better than all the other crap out there. I'm in process returning a new NAD amp with Bluesound due to problems. I used my SB3 to diagnose, now wondering what in the hell happened to Logitech that they muffed up the SlimDevices line? Aside from Bluesound, I've looked at Sonos, Marantz's streamers....the SB3 still beats them all for sound quality, convenience, flexibility.

How, how, how in the hell did Logitech muff it up so bad? Slim Devices was 10-15 years ahead of everyone...heck, is probably still ahead of everyone and has been discontinued for 6 years.

How many of us would fork up $500 for SB Touch with apps that supported all the services that Sonos does? Get rid of the LMS if that's the boat anchor!

LOGITECH>>>YOU SCREWED UP BUT ITS NOT TOO LATE>>>BRING BACK THE SQUEEZEBOX!!!

Sorry, I need to vent, really frustrated that not only can't get what I want now...I can't even buy now what I could get 10 years ago. Its a crime...just a pure crime SlimDevices was allowed to flounder. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<end rant>

pippin
2019-01-31, 03:20
Get rid of the LMS if that's the boat anchor!

Actually it's not the anchor but the reason you've got all these services and features.
If this was relying on the hardware (and the software on the device) alone it would be long dead.
Having the server separate from the device and allowing it to evolve is crucial.

Paul Webster
2019-01-31, 07:42
Plus ... Logitech did have a go at a device that did not rely on a local LMS ... the UE Radio. It relied on one being run, and still being run, by Logitech over Internet.

People who come here (to this particular forum) are almost certainly the ones who, when they managed to get hold of the UE radio, tried to switch it back to support a local LMS. A switch which Logitech initially said was not possible and then updated firmware to make it possible and officially endorsed it.

While it still seems strange to me that they remain in the home audio market it is only for speakers (bluetooth or wired) and have no internet-enabled audio devices (even dropped Airplay and never did Chromecast I think).

However, they did keep the backend stuff working and continue to let Michael Herger work on things (as a side line to what though Michael?) - plus Michael devotes his private time to work on it as well.

Anyway - I remain delighted that it keeps working and that there is a very supportive and dedicated handful of people that not only add things and fix things but also provide great support here.

d6jg
2019-01-31, 08:42
Plus ... Logitech did have a go at a device that did not rely on a local LMS ... the UE Radio. It relied on one being run, and still being run, by Logitech over Internet.

People who come here (to this particular forum) are almost certainly the ones who, when they managed to get hold of the UE radio, tried to switch it back to support a local LMS. A switch which Logitech initially said was not possible and then updated firmware to make it possible and officially endorsed it.

While it still seems strange to me that they remain in the home audio market it is only for speakers (bluetooth or wired) and have no internet-enabled audio devices (even dropped Airplay and never did Chromecast I think).

However, they did keep the backend stuff working and continue to let Michael Herger work on things (as a side line to what though Michael?) - plus Michael devotes his private time to work on it as well.

Anyway - I remain delighted that it keeps working and that there is a very supportive and dedicated handful of people that not only add things and fix things but also provide great support here.

I am sure we have debated this before but one does wonder what might happen in the future. Do we rely on Logitech? Yes. To pay Michael a salary and to pay for the hosting of this forum and MySqueezebox.com (which perhaps is nearly superfluous) and also the hidden support things like releasing a used SB from a previous owner. However that aside if someone wanted to they could presumably take the Open Source software and re-badge it alongside a new line of devices but no one has and the reasons are that to setup and run an SB/LMS still requires a level of skill that is beyond the general consumer. The only income stream would be the new SB devices and we have seen to that idea by the existence of Phillipe's bridges and the likes of piCorePlayer and max2play. To create sufficient demand the device would need to be idiot proof which brings us back to the UE Radio and MySqueezebox.com.

cfuttrup
2019-01-31, 12:09
<begin rant>
So....what happened Logitech? Did you fire the wrong people? Did they leave on their own accord? Or did your Product Managers screw up? Or Marketing?...

He he he - I agree that (management at) Logitech screwed up. They basically lost a fantastic opportunity after acquiring Slimdevices from Sean Adams. We're talking many years ago when the power of open source wasn't well known from a commercial perspective, and only few knew how to make money off of it, so today we can happily look back and see how this platform was gifted to us.

Instead of Logitech making waves, SONOS showed up. To gauge exactly how big of a blunder was made by Logitech management, just look at the sizes and net value of those two companies. Example: Logitech = 7000 employees, SONOS ca. 1400 (so 20%).

P.S. AFAIK SONOS solved some of the issues with network devices by creating their own Wi-Fi network.

/Claus

RobbH
2019-01-31, 18:03
....People who come here (to this particular forum) are almost certainly the ones who, when they managed to get hold of the UE radio, tried to switch it back to support a local LMS. A switch which Logitech initially said was not possible and then updated firmware to make it possible and officially endorsed it.....

That describes me very well. I stumbled across the UE Radio, probably when it was being closed out. I had no knowledge of the history behind it, but it looked interesting. I used it with the stock firmware for a week before upgrading it to the Squeezebox Radio firmware. After reading about what was possible with the Squeezebox firmware, I couldn't think of any reason not to go that route.

Not long after I started using LMS, I forgot about the Radio, as I was strictly using software players. I've recently rediscovered the Radio and put it back into use. It's a very welcome addition to the home audio system that has evolved over the past five years. But, good as it is, LMS is much more important to me.

I agree that Logitech probably blundered when they abandoned the Squeezebox hardware platform, but I'm very grateful that they've allowed LMS development to continue, and supported it to some extent. I can't help wondering how much longer that will continue, and if the user community will find a way to keep going when mysqueezebox.com and this forum shut down.

w3wilkes
2019-01-31, 22:03
I believe that if Logitech built full LMS control for Google Play and Alexa with an easier to configure Duet receiver they could be right back in the game. And oh ya, some marketing that knew what they had would also help.

Paul Webster
2019-02-01, 06:40
I need to correct my earlier comment.
Logitech via UE do indeed have speakers with more connectivity than Bluetooth.

They also have Wi-fi with built-in Amazon Alexa for control by speech.
These boom tubes offer, presumably via Amazon, Spotify, Deezer and TuneIn along with some others.

It is possible to drive an Amazon Echo as a wireless speaker ... the folks with Home Assistant aka HASS are one example that have achieved this.

Maybe Philippe could adapt his AirPlay/UPnP plugin architecture to do the same.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/2146ce430c0a0affec92bc361130c1c8.jpg

usc95
2019-02-01, 10:52
I think the most profitable way for Logitech to get back in this business would be to market a customized LMS to manufacturers and sell it as a protocol or ecosystem. In the same way that Google licenses the Chromecast protocol or Apple licenses airplay, I think that LMS could be made to run like an app on a device like an AVR. We have already seen that you don't need very powerful hardware to run LMS so they could incorporate this customized server in a number of devices so they don't have to be concerned about the general public not setting it up properly. The user could then connect via a smartphone or tablet app, point it to their shared local music, input their streaming music credentials and be off and running. I would think playback devices like a wifi speaker or soundbar could be manufactured to include the necessary hardware to run squeezelite or another client software to act as a new Squeezebox device. Back when desktops were almost required to run the system I can see how this would not be possible but now that cheap single board computers have proven to be more than enough I would think it would be very possible. My .02 anyway...