PDA

View Full Version : Connect with wifi, play over bluetooth: does this work?

Rnee
2018-12-12, 14:33
Hi all, I'm thinking about adding another player but have no way to get a LAN cable on that spot.
I would also like to have the option to output audio over bluetooth.

What is the current situation on using wifi AND bluetooth on the same RPi?

TIA
R.

Paul Webster
2018-12-13, 05:27
Works well.
As I type this I have a RPi Zero WH running pCP with the output via Bluetooth to a nearby speaker and the RPi connecting via WiFi to the LAN.

paul-
2018-12-13, 11:41
pCP 4.0.0 or 4.1.0 will do this fine, with the built in wifi of Rpi ZeroW, 3B, 3B+, 3A+ occasionally there might be a hiccup, but overall its fine.

Using a RPB3A+ or RPi3B+ using a 5G wifi channel would be much more reliable though.

Rnee
2018-12-14, 16:18
Thanks a lot guys for your fast response!
@paul-: I do indeed have some rare hiccups on the system that is connected wireless but no 5Ghz yet.

Ordered a Zero.

R.

Paul Webster
2018-12-14, 23:30
Hopefully a Zero W (or a WH) rather than the original Zero.

Rnee
2018-12-15, 02:47
Yep, ordered a WH.
Thanks for your concern!
Have a nice weekend and holidays!

Rnee
2019-01-04, 16:59
I can confirm that this works very well!
There is a small delay though, is this because of the BT signal and is there a way to adjust this?

paul-
2019-01-05, 07:15
Not that Iíve found.....the delay has to do with the firmware figuring out bandwidth sharing between WiFi and Bluetooth.....and a little buffering.

The delay is pretty consistent, Iíve been able to adjust the delay settings in LMS and get a normal wired player synchronized with the WiFi Bluetooth one.

Reggy777
2019-03-12, 14:16
pCP 4.0.0 or 4.1.0 will do this fine, with the built in wifi of Rpi ZeroW, 3B, 3B+, 3A+ occasionally there might be a hiccup, but overall its fine.

Thanks for help, works fine for me too.

chopinhauer
2019-03-21, 23:49
This is probably a ridiculous noobish question but its on topic; namely, 'connect with wifi play over bluetooth'

I'd like to output from my SB Duet receiver to a UE Boom 1 bluetooth speaker. Is this possible? My receiver is connected via wifi to LMS running on my PC and I'm wondering if I installed Squeezeplay or Squeezelight on the PC whether this would be all I need. (The reason behind this question is that my previous setup in that particular room, an SB Boom, is on the blink so I'm looking for something that (a) utilizes one of my spare SB players (3 Duets and 1 Touch), (b) doesn't require spending anymore money on speakers and/or whatnot and (c) involves as few power cables and boxes as possible.

Paul Webster
2019-03-22, 00:59
This is probably a ridiculous noobish question but its on topic; namely, 'connect with wifi play over bluetooth'

I'd like to output from my SB Duet receiver to a UE Boom 1 bluetooth speaker. Is this possible? My receiver is connected via wifi to LMS running on my PC and I'm wondering if I installed Squeezeplay or Squeezelight on the PC whether this would be all I need. (The reason behind this question is that my previous setup in that particular room, an SB Boom, is on the blink so I'm looking for something that (a) utilizes one of my spare SB players (3 Duets and 1 Touch), (b) doesn't require spending anymore money on speakers and/or whatnot and (c) involves as few power cables and boxes as possible.

Does the UE Boom 1 have a classic Aux input?
If yes - then connect your Squeezebox to it via that (no Bluetooth on Duet/Touch).

If your PC is within Bluetooth range of the speaker and your PC has Bluetooth then that would be another way to do it.

chopinhauer
2019-03-22, 04:57
No the UE Boom has no inputs, but I did find the solution by stumbling upon Angry Goat's app SB Player. It does everything I need: reads the music via wifi from the LMS running on my PC at one end of my my apartment and plays it back via the Squeeze Control app on my phone to the UE Boom in the bedroom (or wherever the Boom is in my apartment). No power cables. Indeed, no need even for a Duet or Touch in the bedroom. Perfect for my current needs.

Paul Webster
2019-03-22, 07:40
This old (2013) review of UE Boom claims there is an Aux socket.
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/ultimate-ears-ue-boom
Perhaps that was really the Boom 2

chopinhauer
2019-03-22, 13:45
You're right. I've had it since 2013 and never noticed nor needed this input. Still don't need it but good to know it's there as this speaker is great for what it does and can do.