PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Radio alternative?

SyrinxGC
2018-12-07, 08:08
I would love to have a little Squeezebox player/amp/speaker, kind of like the Squeezebox Radio, next to my bed.
Does someone here know of a neater way of doing it than using a Raspberry Pi or a phone/iPeng and a Bluetooth speaker?

Stein

woodster
2018-12-07, 09:04
You can use one of Philippe44's excellent plugins to send music to a wireless speaker.

Choose between upnp, airplay or chromecast.

I would love to have a little Squeezebox player/amp/speaker, kind of like the Squeezebox Radio, next to my bed.
Does someone here know of a neater way of doing it than using a Raspberry Pi or a phone/iPeng and a Bluetooth speaker?

Stein

SyrinxGC
2018-12-07, 12:55
You can use one of Philippe44's excellent plugins to send music to a wireless speaker.

Choose between upnp, airplay or chromecast.

Thanks. Could you please give me some more info, please!
Plugin for what? What kind of hardware?

Are we talking about using the phone? I believe I already have this possibility with iPeng on my iPhone, don't I?

Stein

Paul Webster
2018-12-07, 14:38
An Airplay or Chromecast or UPnP speaker can have LMS sending it the audio to play via one of the various plugins by Philippe.
From the LMS Plugin web interface look for "Philippe" or "Bridge".

castalla
2018-12-07, 15:30
An Airplay or Chromecast or UPnP speaker can have LMS sending it the audio to play via one of the various plugins by Philippe.

... but controlling requires an interface such as a phone, tablet, browser. I think he's looking for something with a built-in control ...?

ftlight
2018-12-07, 18:55
And if audio quality isn't a high priority (for listening to talk radio, or music at low volume, for example) the Google Mini home controller is also a Chromecast device with a small speaker, and can be purchased on sale for $29 at the moment. I just got one for the home control function, and saw that it showed up in Philippe's plugin.

Paul Webster
2018-12-07, 23:21

Another thought ... you can have a Raspberry Pi and make it "neater" by putting it in a tidy box and have a few buttons on it as presets to launch favourites and even a small screen to show you what is playing (that blanks and hopefully dims).
If you have some "maker" skills then you could stick it inside an old radio and maybe reuse some of the buttons.
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102957-pi-based-systems&p=894261&viewfull=1#post894261
See plenty of other ideas in that thread including putting a full 7-inch touch screen on the front.
Many of the examples show connection to remote speakers but you will see a few with speakers attached.

Paul Webster
2018-12-07, 23:57
Also ... if in UK you could look for an old O2 Joggler - they sell for around 25GBP on eBay.
Touchscreen and small speaker inside.

In USA look for Cisco Home Energy monitor.
Same sort of thing but a taller device to make way for 2 built-in speakers.
Not often for sale on eBay but can get them for around 40-60USD.

Both are "Openpeak" devices. That company has closed down.

To turn them into dedicated LMS players - running JiveLite and Squeezelite visit the birdslikewires.co.uk web site.
I have a few if these dotted around.
Most are connected to external speakers or used as a control point for a different device but one is regularly used in a small room with just the built-in speaker.

markm9999
2018-12-08, 01:04
What could be 'cleaner' than a phone connection to a Bluetooth speaker?

What exactly do you want/not want?
Display?
Control?
Sound Quality?

I personally have a growing warehouse :p of Boom's, for whenever & where ever I want quality sound with a display, control, etc.
The Boom has a remote for your basic SqueezeBox stuff, but I still use my phone or a cheap Amazon tablet for browsing my collection, syncing & controlling things though.

SyrinxGC
2018-12-08, 11:17
Thanks again, everyone!
I guess I originally was looking for an all-in-one box like the SQ Radio, but I realize a Bluetooth speaker and phone with iPeng probably is the best solution.

KeBul
2018-12-08, 11:56
What about a....

Squeezebox Radio

Easy to find second user variants on a certain online auction site.

Kev

bpa
2018-12-08, 12:13
A possible alternative could be a self contained Android system with built in speaker ( with an Android Squeezebox player app)

There was a product called a Zettaly Avy but also sold under the brand Aluratek
https://aluratek.com/stream-pro-wifi-internet-radio-media-player-seven-inch-touchscreen-display

a similar product is called a SoundPad MA-327

Ge Ba
2018-12-10, 11:24
Thanks again, everyone!
I guess I originally was looking for an all-in-one box like the SQ Radio, but I realize a Bluetooth speaker and phone with iPeng probably is the best solution.Sure? I couldn't think of a neater solution than my kitchen radio: A Pi with the 7 inch touch pad and Bluetooth or audio wired box.