PDA

View Full Version : Hissing sounds and AlienBBC



Patrick Delamere
2005-01-09, 20:44
Hi All,

Just when I had my Linux setup all perfect, it was time to fiddle around
again and break something! :-)

Anyway, I've just completed the process of replacing all the operating system
on all my machines (err, all 2 of them ;-) ) with SuSE Linux 9.2, and have
been working to rebuild my Slimserver.

At one stage, Slimserver, including AlienBBC was working fine, but somewhere,
somehow along the line, a few installations later, these stopped working

2 scenarios are now occurring:

[1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
[2] After one song, the sound stream stops completely and I just get a weird
continuous hissing sound (so far WMA files only).

Before I explain more about the above, below is my server spec:

Slimserver 5.4.0-1
AlienBBC 12
SuSE Linux 9.2 (2.6.8-24.10-default)
AMD 2800+ Processor
1.5GB ram
Wired 100bit LAN
Perl v5.8.5
HTML::Parser (updated via CPAN)
HTTP::Daemon (updated via CPAN)

Now to explain more about my 2 problems:

[1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.

Basically, everytime I click on a radio playlist, I get the following log
entries:
Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
Couldn't bind to port 5123 at /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
58.

Having searched around, I tried the standard few things:
[A] http://<ip-address>:5123/Status. [ok]
STATUS: OK
Proxy Diagnostics:
Proxy set to use mplayer

[B] Connect to http://<address of the slimserver
box>:5123/RealAudio/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/realmedia/fmg2.rpm using
RealPlayer 10. [ok]

[C] Nothing else running on port 5123. [ok]

So, despite both the above tests running ok, I still get the above error when
trying to connect via the AlienBBC web interface.

As well as the connection issues as described above, I also get

Going to play: /var/slimserver/playlists/AlienStream/Bayern2_Radio.smil
cannot connect to http daemon to get playlist
at /usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Scan.pm line 364.
going to Item: 6
Adding: Bayern1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.0.
Adding: Bayern2 Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.1.
Adding: Bayern3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.2.
Adding: Bayern4 Klassik, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.3.
Adding: Bayern5 Aktuell, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.4.
Adding: DeutschlandRadio Berlin, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.5.
Adding: Deutschland Funk, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.6.
Adding: MDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.7.
Adding: N-Joy, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.8.
Adding: NDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.9.
Adding: NDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.10.
Adding: NDR Kultur, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.11.
Adding: Radio Hamburg, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.12.
Adding: SWR1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.13.
Adding: SWR3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.14.
Adding: Talk Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.15.
Adding: WDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.16.
Adding: WDR5, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.17.
Adding: WDR Eins Live, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.18.
Adding: WXPN, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.19.
Adding: wdr5-wm32, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.20.
Adding: AlienBBC Home, index.html
Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
Couldn't bind to port 5123 at /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
58.
Status requested
Closing Down 10.10.28.13:1912
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)
at /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 596.

So, that's the AlienBBC issue.

[2] After a few songs, the sound stream stops completely and I just get a
weird continuous hissing sound.

Like a very badly tuned radio, in fact, more like trying to a catch a station
on a desert island with no radio mast for hundreds of miles, after playing
one song, all I get is a continuous stream of hissing.

It's probably important to mention at this stage that I have just listened to
10 MP3 files in a row without any problems, so I think this is a WMA issue.
Below is my log output (whilst paying a few WMAs):

Press [q] to stop encoding
Error while decoding stream #0.0
size= 1056kB time=6.1 bitrate=1411.3kbits/s
video:0kB audio:1056kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.004069%
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Press [q] to stop encoding
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Press [q] to stop encoding
Error while decoding stream #0.0
size= 30928kB time=179.5 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
video:0kB audio:30928kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000139%
size= 45408kB time=263.6 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
video:0kB audio:45408kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000095%
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Press [q] to stop encoding

I hope it means something to someone, because it doesn't mean much to me.
:-)

After each song, I just seem to get:

Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Press [q] to stop encoding

and that's it, the end of play and I have to go back to the web interface to
select another song.

So far I am only experiencing this with WMA files? Perhaps a problem with
LAME? I am using the identical configuration (apart from software versions)
as I did prior to the server rebuild, so I don't think it is a Slimserver
configuration issue.

Also, there was a time when all this was working after the rebuild, but I
have installed so much onto the server now, that it's a big web to entangle
to find out exactly what I did to break it! The same server that Slimserver
runs on, also runs Exim, Horde/IMP, Webmin, Jboss, Resin, Qpopper, MySQL,
Postgres, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Apache & Php. However, the server is not
stressed in the slightest, and the 1.5gb memory is more than sufficient.

Not sure this is relevant, but whenever I start slimserver.pl, I get the
following error line:

Subroutine HTML::Entities::decode_entities redefined
at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 253,
<DATA> line 1.

I would be very grateful indeed for some insight into the above problems.

Thanks,

Patrick

Jules Taplin
2005-01-10, 00:47
Erm. *gulp*.

Ok. The 'Cannot Bind' error is normally because there is already a
transcoder_proxy running bound to that port.We know it must be a proxy,
because it's reports status information correctly.

However... the plugin code is supposed to not launch another one if it
sees it (it calls a status check, and goes from there).

Sadly... I'm gonna have to get to work.. .so I'll try to look more into
this tonight for you, OK?


-- Jules


Patrick Delamere wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just when I had my Linux setup all perfect, it was time to fiddle around
>
> again and break something! :-)
>
> Anyway, I've just completed the process of replacing all the operating
> system
>
> on all my machines (err, all 2 of them ;-) ) with SuSE Linux 9.2, and have
>
> been working to rebuild my Slimserver.
>
> At one stage, Slimserver, including AlienBBC was working fine, but
> somewhere,
>
> somehow along the line, a few installations later, these stopped working
>
> 2 scenarios are now occurring:
>
> [1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
>
> [2] After one song, the sound stream stops completely and I just get a
> weird
>
> continuous hissing sound (so far WMA files only).
>
> Before I explain more about the above, below is my server spec:
>
> Slimserver 5.4.0-1
>
> AlienBBC 12
>
> SuSE Linux 9.2 (2.6.8-24.10-default)
>
> AMD 2800+ Processor
>
> 1.5GB ram
>
> Wired 100bit LAN
>
> Perl v5.8.5
>
> HTML::Parser (updated via CPAN)
>
> HTTP::Daemon (updated via CPAN)
>
> Now to explain more about my 2 problems:
>
> [1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
>
> Basically, everytime I click on a radio playlist, I get the following log
>
> entries:
>
> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>
> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
>
> 58.
>
> Having searched around, I tried the standard few things:
>
> [A] http://<ip-address>:5123/Status. [ok]
>
> STATUS: OK
>
> Proxy Diagnostics:
>
> Proxy set to use mplayer
>
> [B] Connect to http://<address of the slimserver
>
> box>:5123/RealAudio/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/realmedia/fmg2.rpm using
>
> RealPlayer 10. [ok]
>
> [C] Nothing else running on port 5123. [ok]
>
> So, despite both the above tests running ok, I still get the above
> error when
>
> trying to connect via the AlienBBC web interface.
>
> As well as the connection issues as described above, I also get
>
> Going to play: /var/slimserver/playlists/AlienStream/Bayern2_Radio.smil
>
> cannot connect to http daemon to get playlist
>
> at /usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Scan.pm line 364.
>
> going to Item: 6
>
> Adding: Bayern1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.0.
>
> Adding: Bayern2 Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.1.
>
> Adding: Bayern3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.2.
>
> Adding: Bayern4 Klassik, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.3.
>
> Adding: Bayern5 Aktuell, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.4.
>
> Adding: DeutschlandRadio Berlin, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.5.
>
> Adding: Deutschland Funk, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.6.
>
> Adding: MDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.7.
>
> Adding: N-Joy, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.8.
>
> Adding: NDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.9.
>
> Adding: NDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.10.
>
> Adding: NDR Kultur, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.11.
>
> Adding: Radio Hamburg, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.12.
>
> Adding: SWR1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.13.
>
> Adding: SWR3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.14.
>
> Adding: Talk Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.15.
>
> Adding: WDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.16.
>
> Adding: WDR5, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.17.
>
> Adding: WDR Eins Live, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.18.
>
> Adding: WXPN, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.19.
>
> Adding: wdr5-wm32, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.20.
>
> Adding: AlienBBC Home, index.html
>
> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>
> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>
> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
>
> 58.
>
> Status requested
>
> Closing Down 10.10.28.13:1912
>
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)
>
> at /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 596.
>
> So, that's the AlienBBC issue.
>
> [2] After a few songs, the sound stream stops completely and I just get a
>
> weird continuous hissing sound.
>
> Like a very badly tuned radio, in fact, more like trying to a catch a
> station
>
> on a desert island with no radio mast for hundreds of miles, after playing
>
> one song, all I get is a continuous stream of hissing.
>
> It's probably important to mention at this stage that I have just
> listened to
>
> 10 MP3 files in a row without any problems, so I think this is a WMA
> issue.
>
> Below is my log output (whilst paying a few WMAs):
>
> Press [q] to stop encoding
>
> Error while decoding stream #0.0
>
> size= 1056kB time=6.1 bitrate=1411.3kbits/s
>
> video:0kB audio:1056kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.004069%
>
> Stream mapping:
>
> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>
> Press [q] to stop encoding
>
> Stream mapping:
>
> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>
> Press [q] to stop encoding
>
> Error while decoding stream #0.0
>
> size= 30928kB time=179.5 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
>
> video:0kB audio:30928kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000139%
>
> size= 45408kB time=263.6 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
>
> video:0kB audio:45408kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000095%
>
> Stream mapping:
>
> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>
> Press [q] to stop encoding
>
> I hope it means something to someone, because it doesn't mean much to me.
>
> :-)
>
> After each song, I just seem to get:
>
> Stream mapping:
>
> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>
> Press [q] to stop encoding
>
> and that's it, the end of play and I have to go back to the web
> interface to
>
> select another song.
>
> So far I am only experiencing this with WMA files? Perhaps a problem with
>
> LAME? I am using the identical configuration (apart from software
> versions)
>
> as I did prior to the server rebuild, so I don't think it is a Slimserver
>
> configuration issue.
>
> Also, there was a time when all this was working after the rebuild, but I
>
> have installed so much onto the server now, that it's a big web to
> entangle
>
> to find out exactly what I did to break it! The same server that
> Slimserver
>
> runs on, also runs Exim, Horde/IMP, Webmin, Jboss, Resin, Qpopper, MySQL,
>
> Postgres, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Apache & Php. However, the server is not
>
> stressed in the slightest, and the 1.5gb memory is more than sufficient.
>
> Not sure this is relevant, but whenever I start slimserver.pl, I get the
>
> following error line:
>
> Subroutine HTML::Entities::decode_entities redefined
>
> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 253,
>
> <DATA> line 1.
>
> I would be very grateful indeed for some insight into the above problems.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>

Patrick Delamere
2005-01-10, 03:19
Hi Jules,

Thanks. No worries. I am at work now too - in fact, I am working away
from home for a week, so lets hope my SSH connection doesn't play up
tonight when I start trying stuff out again! :-D

I totally understand your comment. I knew you would ask me that. :-)

I ran "ps -ef" before launching slimserver.pl, and there were no
transcoder_proxys running. I also did a "netstat -anp" to see if there
was anything else running on port 5123, and there was nothing. I'll try
again, maybe I missed something.

One observation that I did make was that as soon as I hit the
"AlienStream Playlists" link on the "AlienBBC Main" page, the plugin
goes about building a list of playlists - immediately after that it goes
about launching transcoder_proxy.pl (which it does successfully -
listening on port 5123), and then immediately after that, I get the bind
error? That's before I have even clicked on a stream link. The odd
thing is that the transcoder_proxy.pl is launched successfully as it
does now appear in the "ps -ef" process list.

Is it trying to launch the transcoder_proxy twice perhaps - although you
did say this can't happen because of the status checks etc. The thing
is, I have used AlienBBC successfully since version 10, so it must be
something to do with my new server.............

One strange thing is that I got the error "cannot connect to http daemon
to get playlist ", even though the playlist did appear to show up
correctly - I think!

I had a backup of an old "working" slimserver configuration which still
had AlienBBC 11.0 configured on it. Same problems though. I disabled
iptables but that didn't make any difference. The things is, my
iptables configuration doesn't affect local traffic anyway, so iptables
should be irrelevant.

Btw, one of the things I forgot to mention in an earlier mail is that I
changed 3 perl scripts from port 5123 to port 9999, and I still got the
same error.......

The scripts I changed were:

transcoder_proxy.pl
AlienExternalStreamMenu.pm
Plugin.pm

I'll try some more checks when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Patrick


Jules Taplin wrote:

> Erm. *gulp*.
>
> Ok. The 'Cannot Bind' error is normally because there is already a
> transcoder_proxy running bound to that port.We know it must be a
> proxy, because it's reports status information correctly.
>
> However... the plugin code is supposed to not launch another one if it
> sees it (it calls a status check, and goes from there).
>
> Sadly... I'm gonna have to get to work.. .so I'll try to look more
> into this tonight for you, OK?
>
>
> -- Jules
>
>
> Patrick Delamere wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just when I had my Linux setup all perfect, it was time to fiddle around
>>
>> again and break something! :-)
>>
>> Anyway, I've just completed the process of replacing all the
>> operating system
>>
>> on all my machines (err, all 2 of them ;-) ) with SuSE Linux 9.2, and
>> have
>>
>> been working to rebuild my Slimserver.
>>
>> At one stage, Slimserver, including AlienBBC was working fine, but
>> somewhere,
>>
>> somehow along the line, a few installations later, these stopped working
>>
>> 2 scenarios are now occurring:
>>
>> [1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
>>
>> [2] After one song, the sound stream stops completely and I just get
>> a weird
>>
>> continuous hissing sound (so far WMA files only).
>>
>> Before I explain more about the above, below is my server spec:
>>
>> Slimserver 5.4.0-1
>>
>> AlienBBC 12
>>
>> SuSE Linux 9.2 (2.6.8-24.10-default)
>>
>> AMD 2800+ Processor
>>
>> 1.5GB ram
>>
>> Wired 100bit LAN
>>
>> Perl v5.8.5
>>
>> HTML::Parser (updated via CPAN)
>>
>> HTTP::Daemon (updated via CPAN)
>>
>> Now to explain more about my 2 problems:
>>
>> [1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
>>
>> Basically, everytime I click on a radio playlist, I get the following
>> log
>>
>> entries:
>>
>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>
>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
>>
>> 58.
>>
>> Having searched around, I tried the standard few things:
>>
>> [A] http://<ip-address>:5123/Status. [ok]
>>
>> STATUS: OK
>>
>> Proxy Diagnostics:
>>
>> Proxy set to use mplayer
>>
>> [B] Connect to http://<address of the slimserver
>>
>> box>:5123/RealAudio/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/realmedia/fmg2.rpm using
>>
>> RealPlayer 10. [ok]
>>
>> [C] Nothing else running on port 5123. [ok]
>>
>> So, despite both the above tests running ok, I still get the above
>> error when
>>
>> trying to connect via the AlienBBC web interface.
>>
>> As well as the connection issues as described above, I also get
>>
>> Going to play: /var/slimserver/playlists/AlienStream/Bayern2_Radio.smil
>>
>> cannot connect to http daemon to get playlist
>>
>> at /usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Scan.pm line 364.
>>
>> going to Item: 6
>>
>> Adding: Bayern1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.0.
>>
>> Adding: Bayern2 Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.1.
>>
>> Adding: Bayern3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.2.
>>
>> Adding: Bayern4 Klassik, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.3.
>>
>> Adding: Bayern5 Aktuell, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.4.
>>
>> Adding: DeutschlandRadio Berlin, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.5.
>>
>> Adding: Deutschland Funk, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.6.
>>
>> Adding: MDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.7.
>>
>> Adding: N-Joy, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.8.
>>
>> Adding: NDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.9.
>>
>> Adding: NDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.10.
>>
>> Adding: NDR Kultur, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.11.
>>
>> Adding: Radio Hamburg, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.12.
>>
>> Adding: SWR1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.13.
>>
>> Adding: SWR3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.14.
>>
>> Adding: Talk Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.15.
>>
>> Adding: WDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.16.
>>
>> Adding: WDR5, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.17.
>>
>> Adding: WDR Eins Live, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.18.
>>
>> Adding: WXPN, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.19.
>>
>> Adding: wdr5-wm32, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.20.
>>
>> Adding: AlienBBC Home, index.html
>>
>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>
>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>
>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
>>
>> 58.
>>
>> Status requested
>>
>> Closing Down 10.10.28.13:1912
>>
>> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)
>>
>> at /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 596.
>>
>> So, that's the AlienBBC issue.
>>
>> [2] After a few songs, the sound stream stops completely and I just
>> get a
>>
>> weird continuous hissing sound.
>>
>> Like a very badly tuned radio, in fact, more like trying to a catch a
>> station
>>
>> on a desert island with no radio mast for hundreds of miles, after
>> playing
>>
>> one song, all I get is a continuous stream of hissing.
>>
>> It's probably important to mention at this stage that I have just
>> listened to
>>
>> 10 MP3 files in a row without any problems, so I think this is a WMA
>> issue.
>>
>> Below is my log output (whilst paying a few WMAs):
>>
>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>
>> Error while decoding stream #0.0
>>
>> size= 1056kB time=6.1 bitrate=1411.3kbits/s
>>
>> video:0kB audio:1056kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.004069%
>>
>> Stream mapping:
>>
>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>
>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>
>> Stream mapping:
>>
>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>
>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>
>> Error while decoding stream #0.0
>>
>> size= 30928kB time=179.5 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
>>
>> video:0kB audio:30928kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000139%
>>
>> size= 45408kB time=263.6 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
>>
>> video:0kB audio:45408kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000095%
>>
>> Stream mapping:
>>
>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>
>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>
>> I hope it means something to someone, because it doesn't mean much to
>> me.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> After each song, I just seem to get:
>>
>> Stream mapping:
>>
>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>
>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>
>> and that's it, the end of play and I have to go back to the web
>> interface to
>>
>> select another song.
>>
>> So far I am only experiencing this with WMA files? Perhaps a problem
>> with
>>
>> LAME? I am using the identical configuration (apart from software
>> versions)
>>
>> as I did prior to the server rebuild, so I don't think it is a
>> Slimserver
>>
>> configuration issue.
>>
>> Also, there was a time when all this was working after the rebuild,
>> but I
>>
>> have installed so much onto the server now, that it's a big web to
>> entangle
>>
>> to find out exactly what I did to break it! The same server that
>> Slimserver
>>
>> runs on, also runs Exim, Horde/IMP, Webmin, Jboss, Resin, Qpopper,
>> MySQL,
>>
>> Postgres, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Apache & Php. However, the server is not
>>
>> stressed in the slightest, and the 1.5gb memory is more than sufficient.
>>
>> Not sure this is relevant, but whenever I start slimserver.pl, I get the
>>
>> following error line:
>>
>> Subroutine HTML::Entities::decode_entities redefined
>>
>> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 253,
>>
>> <DATA> line 1.
>>
>> I would be very grateful indeed for some insight into the above
>> problems.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>

Patrick Delamere
2005-01-11, 18:28
Hi Jules,

A bit of fiddling later and I have finally gotten to the bottom of my AlienBBC issue!

The problem was with a missing "localhost" entry in my hosts file - no idea how that disappeared!

Anyway, below is a description as to how I got to the conclusion - hopefully it might help someone in the future.

Having run out of ideas as to what might be wrong, I decided to try and upgrade Perl from v5.8.5 to v5.8.6.¬ Not a big jump, but there was always the chance that my perl installation was broken.

After perl compiled, I ran a "make test" and encountered the following error:
#¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ Failed test (../lib/Net/hostent.t at line 36)

This was to be the clue which eventually led me to the solution.

The above test fails if it cannot resolve 'localhost'.¬ That's when I checked my /etc/hosts.conf' to find that for some reason there was no entry for 'localhost'.¬ Adding "127.0.0.1¬ ¬ localhost" solved the problem.

Not content though, I had a look at the code and ran some tests to determine exactly where the failure was occuring:

I added some print statements to /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm near line 598 (inside sub CheckOrStartProxyP).

Specifically I added the lines:
print "http://".$proxy_host.":".$proxy_port."/Status/\n";
print "Result = '$result'\n";

Having added the print statments, I then ran some tests with a localhost entry in /etc/hosts and again with the localhost entry missing.

No localhost entry in /etc/hosts file
On clicking AlienBBC v012 on main menu:
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 598 (#2)
Print statement 1:¬ ¬ http://localhost:5123/Status/
Print Statement 2:¬ ¬ Result = ''
Couldn't bind to port 5123 at /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.

On clicking "AlienStream Playlists" on the AlienBBC home page:
Print statement 1:¬ ¬ http://localhost:5123/Status/
Print Statement 2:¬ ¬ Result = ''
Couldn't bind to port 5123 at /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.

Seeing the results above, it's now obvious the AlienBBC was unable to get the transcoder_proxy.pl status.¬ When I tested the transcoder_proxy.pl status a few days ago, I didn't use "localhost", but the machines actual IP address, which is why I didn't catch the error then.

Anyway, to bring the point home, below is the same "status" action using the Lynx text web browser:

&gt; lynx http://localhost:5123/Status/
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host
lynx: Can't access startfile http://localhost:5123/Status/

Hence the status result of '' !

localhost entry present in /etc/hosts file
On clicking AlienBBC v012 on main menu:
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 598 (#2)
Print statement 1:¬ ¬ http://localhost:5123/Status/
Print Statement 2:¬ ¬ Result = ''
Couldn't bind to port 5123 at /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.

I assume that at this point a status check is made before the transcoder_proxy.pl has been activated.

On clicking "AlienStream Playlists" on the AlienBBC home page:
Got a new client! It's Peer is 127.0.0.1:3248
Print statement 1:¬ ¬ http://localhost:5123/Status/
Print Statement 2:¬ ¬ Result = 'Result = 'STATUS: OK'
Proxy is alive, and ready to process requests¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ Hurrah!¬ :-)

Just for the sake of completion, the same test with Lynx:

&gt; lynx http://localhost:5123/Status/

¬ ¬ STATUS: OK

¬ ¬ Proxy Diagnostics:

¬ ¬ Proxy set to use mplayer

Jules - transcoder_proxy.pl defines "$proxy_addr" as "127.0.0.1 as default, whereas plugin.pl defines "$proxy_host" as "localhost".¬ Maybe you could set them both to 127.0.0.1?

Anyway, hope someone out there found this interesting!¬ :-)

I am really glad I got this working again because I am a big fan of AlienBBC!!¬ It's the only way I can keep up to date with my other native tongue abroad!¬ Cheers!¬ :-D

Patrick



Patrick Delamere wrote: Hi Jules,

Thanks.¬ No worries.¬ I am at work now too - in fact, I am working away from home for a week, so lets hope my SSH connection doesn't play up tonight when I start trying stuff out again!¬ ¬ :-D

I totally understand your comment.¬ I knew you would ask me that.¬ :-)

I ran "ps -ef" before launching slimserver.pl, and there were no transcoder_proxys running.¬ I also did a "netstat -anp" to see if there was anything else running on port 5123, and there was nothing.¬ I'll try again, maybe I missed something.

One observation that I did make was that as soon as I hit the "AlienStream Playlists" link on the "AlienBBC Main" page, the plugin goes about building a list of playlists - immediately after that it goes about launching transcoder_proxy.pl (which it does successfully - listening on port 5123), and then immediately after that, I get the bind error?¬ That's before I have even clicked on a stream link.¬ The odd thing is that the transcoder_proxy.pl is launched successfully as it does now appear in the "ps -ef" process list.

Is it trying to launch the transcoder_proxy twice perhaps - although you did say this can't happen because of the status checks etc.¬ The thing is, I have used AlienBBC successfully since version 10, so it must be something to do with my new server.............

One strange thing is that I got the error "cannot connect to http daemon to get playlist ", even though the playlist did appear to show up correctly - I think!

I had a backup of an old "working" slimserver configuration which still had AlienBBC 11.0 configured on it.¬ Same problems though.¬ I disabled iptables but that didn't make any difference.¬ The things is, my iptables configuration doesn't affect local traffic anyway, so iptables should be irrelevant.

Btw, one of the things I forgot to mention in an earlier mail is that I changed 3 perl scripts from port 5123 to port 9999, and I still got the same error.......

The scripts I changed were:

transcoder_proxy.pl
AlienExternalStreamMenu.pm
Plugin.pm

I'll try some more checks when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Patrick


Jules Taplin wrote:

Erm. *gulp*.

Ok. The 'Cannot Bind' error is normally because there is already a transcoder_proxy running bound to that port.We know it must be a proxy, because it's reports status information correctly.

However... the plugin code is supposed to not launch another one if it sees it (it calls a status check, and goes from there).

Sadly... I'm gonna have to get to work.. .so I'll try to look more into this tonight for you, OK?


-- Jules


Patrick Delamere wrote:

Hi All,

Just when I had my Linux setup all perfect, it was time to fiddle around

again and break something! :-)

Anyway, I've just completed the process of replacing all the operating system

on all my machines (err, all 2 of them ;-) ) with SuSE Linux 9.2, and have

been working to rebuild my Slimserver.

At one stage, Slimserver, including AlienBBC was working fine, but somewhere,

somehow along the line, a few installations later, these stopped working

2 scenarios are now occurring:

[1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.

[2] After one song, the sound stream stops completely and I just get a weird

continuous hissing sound (so far WMA files only).

Before I explain more about the above, below is my server spec:

Slimserver 5.4.0-1

AlienBBC 12

SuSE Linux 9.2 (2.6.8-24.10-default)

AMD 2800+ Processor

1.5GB ram

Wired 100bit LAN

Perl v5.8.5

HTML::Parser (updated via CPAN)

HTTP::Daemon (updated via CPAN)

Now to explain more about my 2 problems:

[1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.

Basically, everytime I click on a radio playlist, I get the following log

entries:

Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame

Couldn't bind to port 5123 at /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line

58.

Having searched around, I tried the standard few things:

[A] http://&lt;ip-address&gt;:5123/Status. [ok]

STATUS: OK

Proxy Diagnostics:

Proxy set to use mplayer

[B] Connect to http://&lt;address of the slimserver

box&gt;:5123/RealAudio/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/realmedia/fmg2.rpm using

RealPlayer 10. [ok]

[C] Nothing else running on port 5123. [ok]

So, despite both the above tests running ok, I still get the above error when

trying to connect via the AlienBBC web interface.

As well as the connection issues as described above, I also get

Going to play: /var/slimserver/playlists/AlienStream/Bayern2_Radio.smil

cannot connect to http daemon to get playlist

at /usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Scan.pm line 364.

going to Item: 6

Adding: Bayern1, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.0.

Adding: Bayern2 Radio, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.1.

Adding: Bayern3, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.2.

Adding: Bayern4 Klassik, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.3.

Adding: Bayern5 Aktuell, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.4.

Adding: DeutschlandRadio Berlin, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.5.

Adding: Deutschland Funk, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.6.

Adding: MDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.7.

Adding: N-Joy, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.8.

Adding: NDR2, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.9.

Adding: NDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.10.

Adding: NDR Kultur, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.11.

Adding: Radio Hamburg, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.12.

Adding: SWR1, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.13.

Adding: SWR3, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.14.

Adding: Talk Radio, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.15.

Adding: WDR2, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.16.

Adding: WDR5, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.17.

Adding: WDR Eins Live, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.18.

Adding: WXPN, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.19.

Adding: wdr5-wm32, index.html?menu=6.&amp;play=6.20.

Adding: AlienBBC Home, index.html

Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame

Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame

Couldn't bind to port 5123 at /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line

58.

Status requested

Closing Down 10.10.28.13:1912

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)

at /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 596.

So, that's the AlienBBC issue.

[2] After a few songs, the sound stream stops completely and I just get a

weird continuous hissing sound.

Like a very badly tuned radio, in fact, more like trying to a catch a station

on a desert island with no radio mast for hundreds of miles, after playing

one song, all I get is a continuous stream of hissing.

It's probably important to mention at this stage that I have just listened to

10 MP3 files in a row without any problems, so I think this is a WMA issue.

Below is my log output (whilst paying a few WMAs):

Press [q] to stop encoding

Error while decoding stream #0.0

size= 1056kB time=6.1 bitrate=1411.3kbits/s

video:0kB audio:1056kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.004069%

Stream mapping:

Stream #0.0 -&gt; #0.0

Press [q] to stop encoding

Stream mapping:

Stream #0.0 -&gt; #0.0

Press [q] to stop encoding

Error while decoding stream #0.0

size= 30928kB time=179.5 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s

video:0kB audio:30928kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000139%

size= 45408kB time=263.6 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s

video:0kB audio:45408kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000095%

Stream mapping:

Stream #0.0 -&gt; #0.0

Press [q] to stop encoding

I hope it means something to someone, because it doesn't mean much to me.

:-)

After each song, I just seem to get:

Stream mapping:

Stream #0.0 -&gt; #0.0

Press [q] to stop encoding

and that's it, the end of play and I have to go back to the web interface to

select another song.

So far I am only experiencing this with WMA files? Perhaps a problem with

LAME? I am using the identical configuration (apart from software versions)

as I did prior to the server rebuild, so I don't think it is a Slimserver

configuration issue.

Also, there was a time when all this was working after the rebuild, but I

have installed so much onto the server now, that it's a big web to entangle

to find out exactly what I did to break it! The same server that Slimserver

runs on, also runs Exim, Horde/IMP, Webmin, Jboss, Resin, Qpopper, MySQL,

Postgres, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Apache &amp; Php. However, the server is not

stressed in the slightest, and the 1.5gb memory is more than sufficient.

Not sure this is relevant, but whenever I start slimserver.pl, I get the

following error line:

Subroutine HTML::Entities::decode_entities redefined

at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 253,

&lt;DATA&gt; line 1.

I would be very grateful indeed for some insight into the above problems.

Thanks,

Patrick

------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com (mailto:Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com)
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/discuss
¬

_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com (mailto:Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com)
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com (mailto:Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com)
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/discuss

Jules Taplin
2005-01-12, 00:46
Aha!

Nicely done, Patrick. I don't think that would ever have occurred to me
from your description ;)

By the way - the new beta release doesn't use the transcoder at all - so
you might have had more luck with that. But... in all honesty... the
hosts file is something that should have been fixed anyway!


-- Jules


Patrick Delamere wrote:

> Hi Jules,
>
> A bit of fiddling later and I have finally gotten to the bottom of my
> AlienBBC issue!
>
> The problem was with a missing "localhost" entry in my hosts file - no
> idea how that disappeared!
>
> Anyway, below is a description as to how I got to the conclusion -
> hopefully it might help someone in the future.
>
> Having run out of ideas as to what might be wrong, I decided to try
> and upgrade Perl from v5.8.5 to v5.8.6. Not a big jump, but there was
> always the chance that my perl installation was broken.
>
> After perl compiled, I ran a "make test" and encountered the following
> error:
> /# Failed test (../lib/Net/hostent.t at line 36)/
>
> This was to be the clue which eventually led me to the solution.
>
> The above test fails if it cannot resolve 'localhost'. That's when I
> checked my /etc/hosts.conf' to find that for some reason there was no
> entry for 'localhost'. Adding "127.0.0.1 localhost" solved the problem.
>
> Not content though, I had a look at the code and ran some tests to
> determine exactly where the failure was occuring:
>
> I added some print statements to
> /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm near line 598 (inside
> sub CheckOrStartProxyP).
>
> Specifically I added the lines:
> print "http://".$proxy_host.":".$proxy_port."/Status/\n";
> print "Result = '$result'\n";
>
> Having added the print statments, I then ran some tests with a
> localhost entry in /etc/hosts and again with the localhost entry missing.
>
> _No localhost entry in /etc/hosts file_
> *On clicking AlienBBC v012 on main menu:*
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 598 (#2)
> Print statement 1: http://localhost:5123/Status/
> Print Statement 2: Result = ''
> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.
>
> *On clicking "AlienStream Playlists" on the AlienBBC home page:*
> Print statement 1: http://localhost:5123/Status/
> Print Statement 2: Result = ''
> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.
>
> Seeing the results above, it's now obvious the AlienBBC was unable to
> get the transcoder_proxy.pl status. When I tested the
> transcoder_proxy.pl status a few days ago, I didn't use "localhost",
> but the machines actual IP address, which is why I didn't catch the
> error then.
>
> Anyway, to bring the point home, below is the same "status" action
> using the Lynx text web browser:
>
> > lynx http://localhost:5123/Status/
> Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host
> lynx: Can't access startfile http://localhost:5123/Status/
>
> Hence the status result of '' !
>
> _localhost entry present in /etc/hosts file_
> *On clicking AlienBBC v012 on main menu:*
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 598 (#2)
> Print statement 1: http://localhost:5123/Status/
> Print Statement 2: Result = ''
> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.
>
> I assume that at this point a status check is made before the
> transcoder_proxy.pl has been activated.
>
> *On clicking "AlienStream Playlists" on the AlienBBC home page:*
> Got a new client! It's Peer is 127.0.0.1:3248
> Print statement 1: http://localhost:5123/Status/
> Print Statement 2: Result = 'Result = 'STATUS: OK'
> Proxy is alive, and ready to process requests Hurrah! :-)
>
> Just for the sake of completion, the same test with Lynx:
>
> > lynx http://localhost:5123/Status/
>
> STATUS: OK
>
> Proxy Diagnostics:
>
> Proxy set to use mplayer
>
> *Jules *- transcoder_proxy.pl defines "$proxy_addr" as "127.0.0.1 as
> default, whereas plugin.pl defines "$proxy_host" as "localhost".
> Maybe you could set them both to 127.0.0.1?
>
> Anyway, hope someone out there found this interesting! :-)
>
> I am really glad I got this working again because I am a big fan of
> AlienBBC!! It's the only way I can keep up to date with my other
> native tongue abroad! Cheers! :-D
>
> Patrick
>
>
>
> Patrick Delamere wrote:
>
>> Hi Jules,
>>
>> Thanks. No worries. I am at work now too - in fact, I am working
>> away from home for a week, so lets hope my SSH connection doesn't
>> play up tonight when I start trying stuff out again! :-D
>>
>> I totally understand your comment. I knew you would ask me that. :-)
>>
>> I ran "ps -ef" before launching slimserver.pl, and there were no
>> transcoder_proxys running. I also did a "netstat -anp" to see if
>> there was anything else running on port 5123, and there was nothing.
>> I'll try again, maybe I missed something.
>>
>> One observation that I did make was that as soon as I hit the
>> "AlienStream Playlists" link on the "AlienBBC Main" page, the plugin
>> goes about building a list of playlists - immediately after that it
>> goes about launching transcoder_proxy.pl (which it does successfully
>> - listening on port 5123), and then immediately after that, I get the
>> bind error? That's before I have even clicked on a stream link. The
>> odd thing is that the transcoder_proxy.pl is launched successfully as
>> it does now appear in the "ps -ef" process list.
>>
>> Is it trying to launch the transcoder_proxy twice perhaps - although
>> you did say this can't happen because of the status checks etc. The
>> thing is, I have used AlienBBC successfully since version 10, so it
>> must be something to do with my new server.............
>>
>> One strange thing is that I got the error "cannot connect to http
>> daemon to get playlist ", even though the playlist did appear to show
>> up correctly - I think!
>>
>> I had a backup of an old "working" slimserver configuration which
>> still had AlienBBC 11.0 configured on it. Same problems though. I
>> disabled iptables but that didn't make any difference. The things
>> is, my iptables configuration doesn't affect local traffic anyway, so
>> iptables should be irrelevant.
>>
>> Btw, one of the things I forgot to mention in an earlier mail is that
>> I changed 3 perl scripts from port 5123 to port 9999, and I still got
>> the same error.......
>>
>> The scripts I changed were:
>>
>> transcoder_proxy.pl
>> AlienExternalStreamMenu.pm
>> Plugin.pm
>>
>> I'll try some more checks when I get home tonight.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>>
>> Jules Taplin wrote:
>>
>>> Erm. *gulp*.
>>>
>>> Ok. The 'Cannot Bind' error is normally because there is already a
>>> transcoder_proxy running bound to that port.We know it must be a
>>> proxy, because it's reports status information correctly.
>>>
>>> However... the plugin code is supposed to not launch another one if
>>> it sees it (it calls a status check, and goes from there).
>>>
>>> Sadly... I'm gonna have to get to work.. .so I'll try to look more
>>> into this tonight for you, OK?
>>>
>>>
>>> -- Jules
>>>
>>>
>>> Patrick Delamere wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi All,
>>>>
>>>> Just when I had my Linux setup all perfect, it was time to fiddle
>>>> around
>>>>
>>>> again and break something! :-)
>>>>
>>>> Anyway, I've just completed the process of replacing all the
>>>> operating system
>>>>
>>>> on all my machines (err, all 2 of them ;-) ) with SuSE Linux 9.2,
>>>> and have
>>>>
>>>> been working to rebuild my Slimserver.
>>>>
>>>> At one stage, Slimserver, including AlienBBC was working fine, but
>>>> somewhere,
>>>>
>>>> somehow along the line, a few installations later, these stopped
>>>> working
>>>>
>>>> 2 scenarios are now occurring:
>>>>
>>>> [1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
>>>>
>>>> [2] After one song, the sound stream stops completely and I just
>>>> get a weird
>>>>
>>>> continuous hissing sound (so far WMA files only).
>>>>
>>>> Before I explain more about the above, below is my server spec:
>>>>
>>>> Slimserver 5.4.0-1
>>>>
>>>> AlienBBC 12
>>>>
>>>> SuSE Linux 9.2 (2.6.8-24.10-default)
>>>>
>>>> AMD 2800+ Processor
>>>>
>>>> 1.5GB ram
>>>>
>>>> Wired 100bit LAN
>>>>
>>>> Perl v5.8.5
>>>>
>>>> HTML::Parser (updated via CPAN)
>>>>
>>>> HTTP::Daemon (updated via CPAN)
>>>>
>>>> Now to explain more about my 2 problems:
>>>>
>>>> [1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
>>>>
>>>> Basically, everytime I click on a radio playlist, I get the
>>>> following log
>>>>
>>>> entries:
>>>>
>>>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>>>
>>>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>>>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
>>>>
>>>> 58.
>>>>
>>>> Having searched around, I tried the standard few things:
>>>>
>>>> [A] http://<ip-address>:5123/Status. [ok]
>>>>
>>>> STATUS: OK
>>>>
>>>> Proxy Diagnostics:
>>>>
>>>> Proxy set to use mplayer
>>>>
>>>> [B] Connect to http://<address of the slimserver
>>>>
>>>> box>:5123/RealAudio/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/realmedia/fmg2.rpm
>>>> using
>>>>
>>>> RealPlayer 10. [ok]
>>>>
>>>> [C] Nothing else running on port 5123. [ok]
>>>>
>>>> So, despite both the above tests running ok, I still get the above
>>>> error when
>>>>
>>>> trying to connect via the AlienBBC web interface.
>>>>
>>>> As well as the connection issues as described above, I also get
>>>>
>>>> Going to play:
>>>> /var/slimserver/playlists/AlienStream/Bayern2_Radio.smil
>>>>
>>>> cannot connect to http daemon to get playlist
>>>>
>>>> at /usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Scan.pm line 364.
>>>>
>>>> going to Item: 6
>>>>
>>>> Adding: Bayern1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.0.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: Bayern2 Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.1.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: Bayern3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.2.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: Bayern4 Klassik, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.3.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: Bayern5 Aktuell, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.4.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: DeutschlandRadio Berlin, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.5.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: Deutschland Funk, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.6.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: MDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.7.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: N-Joy, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.8.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: NDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.9.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: NDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.10.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: NDR Kultur, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.11.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: Radio Hamburg, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.12.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: SWR1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.13.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: SWR3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.14.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: Talk Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.15.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: WDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.16.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: WDR5, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.17.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: WDR Eins Live, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.18.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: WXPN, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.19.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: wdr5-wm32, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.20.
>>>>
>>>> Adding: AlienBBC Home, index.html
>>>>
>>>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>>>
>>>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>>>
>>>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>>>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
>>>>
>>>> 58.
>>>>
>>>> Status requested
>>>>
>>>> Closing Down 10.10.28.13:1912
>>>>
>>>> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)
>>>>
>>>> at /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 596.
>>>>
>>>> So, that's the AlienBBC issue.
>>>>
>>>> [2] After a few songs, the sound stream stops completely and I just
>>>> get a
>>>>
>>>> weird continuous hissing sound.
>>>>
>>>> Like a very badly tuned radio, in fact, more like trying to a catch
>>>> a station
>>>>
>>>> on a desert island with no radio mast for hundreds of miles, after
>>>> playing
>>>>
>>>> one song, all I get is a continuous stream of hissing.
>>>>
>>>> It's probably important to mention at this stage that I have just
>>>> listened to
>>>>
>>>> 10 MP3 files in a row without any problems, so I think this is a
>>>> WMA issue.
>>>>
>>>> Below is my log output (whilst paying a few WMAs):
>>>>
>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>
>>>> Error while decoding stream #0.0
>>>>
>>>> size= 1056kB time=6.1 bitrate=1411.3kbits/s
>>>>
>>>> video:0kB audio:1056kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.004069%
>>>>
>>>> Stream mapping:
>>>>
>>>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>>>
>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>
>>>> Stream mapping:
>>>>
>>>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>>>
>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>
>>>> Error while decoding stream #0.0
>>>>
>>>> size= 30928kB time=179.5 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
>>>>
>>>> video:0kB audio:30928kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000139%
>>>>
>>>> size= 45408kB time=263.6 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
>>>>
>>>> video:0kB audio:45408kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000095%
>>>>
>>>> Stream mapping:
>>>>
>>>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>>>
>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>
>>>> I hope it means something to someone, because it doesn't mean much
>>>> to me.
>>>>
>>>> :-)
>>>>
>>>> After each song, I just seem to get:
>>>>
>>>> Stream mapping:
>>>>
>>>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>>>
>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>
>>>> and that's it, the end of play and I have to go back to the web
>>>> interface to
>>>>
>>>> select another song.
>>>>
>>>> So far I am only experiencing this with WMA files? Perhaps a
>>>> problem with
>>>>
>>>> LAME? I am using the identical configuration (apart from software
>>>> versions)
>>>>
>>>> as I did prior to the server rebuild, so I don't think it is a
>>>> Slimserver
>>>>
>>>> configuration issue.
>>>>
>>>> Also, there was a time when all this was working after the rebuild,
>>>> but I
>>>>
>>>> have installed so much onto the server now, that it's a big web to
>>>> entangle
>>>>
>>>> to find out exactly what I did to break it! The same server that
>>>> Slimserver
>>>>
>>>> runs on, also runs Exim, Horde/IMP, Webmin, Jboss, Resin, Qpopper,
>>>> MySQL,
>>>>
>>>> Postgres, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Apache & Php. However, the server
>>>> is not
>>>>
>>>> stressed in the slightest, and the 1.5gb memory is more than
>>>> sufficient.
>>>>
>>>> Not sure this is relevant, but whenever I start slimserver.pl, I
>>>> get the
>>>>
>>>> following error line:
>>>>
>>>> Subroutine HTML::Entities::decode_entities redefined
>>>>
>>>> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line
>>>> 253,
>>>>
>>>> <DATA> line 1.
>>>>
>>>> I would be very grateful indeed for some insight into the above
>>>> problems.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Patrick
>>>>
>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>

Patrick Delamere
2005-01-12, 09:24
Definitely. The hosts file was always going to be a problem., with or
without AlienBBC. :-)

I shall definitely try out your new beta when I get home at the
weekend. I only read your email after I'd spent ages fixing it! Such
is life! :-)

But then, as you say, the hosts file definitely needed fixing anyway! :-D

I still need to see if this has also solved my "hissing" problem after
each WMA. Unfortunately I won't be able to do that until I get home on
Friday! :-(

Cheers,

Patrick



Jules Taplin wrote:

> Aha!
>
> Nicely done, Patrick. I don't think that would ever have occurred to
> me from your description ;)
>
> By the way - the new beta release doesn't use the transcoder at all -
> so you might have had more luck with that. But... in all honesty...
> the hosts file is something that should have been fixed anyway!
>
>
> -- Jules
>
>
> Patrick Delamere wrote:
>
>> Hi Jules,
>>
>> A bit of fiddling later and I have finally gotten to the bottom of my
>> AlienBBC issue!
>>
>> The problem was with a missing "localhost" entry in my hosts file -
>> no idea how that disappeared!
>>
>> Anyway, below is a description as to how I got to the conclusion -
>> hopefully it might help someone in the future.
>>
>> Having run out of ideas as to what might be wrong, I decided to try
>> and upgrade Perl from v5.8.5 to v5.8.6. Not a big jump, but there
>> was always the chance that my perl installation was broken.
>>
>> After perl compiled, I ran a "make test" and encountered the
>> following error:
>> /# Failed test (../lib/Net/hostent.t at line 36)/
>>
>> This was to be the clue which eventually led me to the solution.
>>
>> The above test fails if it cannot resolve 'localhost'. That's when I
>> checked my /etc/hosts.conf' to find that for some reason there was no
>> entry for 'localhost'. Adding "127.0.0.1 localhost" solved the
>> problem.
>>
>> Not content though, I had a look at the code and ran some tests to
>> determine exactly where the failure was occuring:
>>
>> I added some print statements to
>> /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm near line 598 (inside
>> sub CheckOrStartProxyP).
>>
>> Specifically I added the lines:
>> print "http://".$proxy_host.":".$proxy_port."/Status/\n";
>> print "Result = '$result'\n";
>>
>> Having added the print statments, I then ran some tests with a
>> localhost entry in /etc/hosts and again with the localhost entry
>> missing.
>>
>> _No localhost entry in /etc/hosts file_
>> *On clicking AlienBBC v012 on main menu:*
>> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
>> /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 598 (#2)
>> Print statement 1: http://localhost:5123/Status/
>> Print Statement 2: Result = ''
>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.
>>
>> *On clicking "AlienStream Playlists" on the AlienBBC home page:*
>> Print statement 1: http://localhost:5123/Status/
>> Print Statement 2: Result = ''
>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.
>>
>> Seeing the results above, it's now obvious the AlienBBC was unable to
>> get the transcoder_proxy.pl status. When I tested the
>> transcoder_proxy.pl status a few days ago, I didn't use "localhost",
>> but the machines actual IP address, which is why I didn't catch the
>> error then.
>>
>> Anyway, to bring the point home, below is the same "status" action
>> using the Lynx text web browser:
>>
>> > lynx http://localhost:5123/Status/
>> Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host
>> lynx: Can't access startfile http://localhost:5123/Status/
>>
>> Hence the status result of '' !
>>
>> _localhost entry present in /etc/hosts file_
>> *On clicking AlienBBC v012 on main menu:*
>> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
>> /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 598 (#2)
>> Print statement 1: http://localhost:5123/Status/
>> Print Statement 2: Result = ''
>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line 58.
>>
>> I assume that at this point a status check is made before the
>> transcoder_proxy.pl has been activated.
>>
>> *On clicking "AlienStream Playlists" on the AlienBBC home page:*
>> Got a new client! It's Peer is 127.0.0.1:3248
>> Print statement 1: http://localhost:5123/Status/
>> Print Statement 2: Result = 'Result = 'STATUS: OK'
>> Proxy is alive, and ready to process requests Hurrah! :-)
>>
>> Just for the sake of completion, the same test with Lynx:
>>
>> > lynx http://localhost:5123/Status/
>>
>> STATUS: OK
>>
>> Proxy Diagnostics:
>>
>> Proxy set to use mplayer
>>
>> *Jules *- transcoder_proxy.pl defines "$proxy_addr" as "127.0.0.1 as
>> default, whereas plugin.pl defines "$proxy_host" as "localhost".
>> Maybe you could set them both to 127.0.0.1?
>>
>> Anyway, hope someone out there found this interesting! :-)
>>
>> I am really glad I got this working again because I am a big fan of
>> AlienBBC!! It's the only way I can keep up to date with my other
>> native tongue abroad! Cheers! :-D
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>>
>>
>> Patrick Delamere wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jules,
>>>
>>> Thanks. No worries. I am at work now too - in fact, I am working
>>> away from home for a week, so lets hope my SSH connection doesn't
>>> play up tonight when I start trying stuff out again! :-D
>>>
>>> I totally understand your comment. I knew you would ask me that. :-)
>>>
>>> I ran "ps -ef" before launching slimserver.pl, and there were no
>>> transcoder_proxys running. I also did a "netstat -anp" to see if
>>> there was anything else running on port 5123, and there was
>>> nothing. I'll try again, maybe I missed something.
>>>
>>> One observation that I did make was that as soon as I hit the
>>> "AlienStream Playlists" link on the "AlienBBC Main" page, the plugin
>>> goes about building a list of playlists - immediately after that it
>>> goes about launching transcoder_proxy.pl (which it does successfully
>>> - listening on port 5123), and then immediately after that, I get
>>> the bind error? That's before I have even clicked on a stream
>>> link. The odd thing is that the transcoder_proxy.pl is launched
>>> successfully as it does now appear in the "ps -ef" process list.
>>>
>>> Is it trying to launch the transcoder_proxy twice perhaps - although
>>> you did say this can't happen because of the status checks etc. The
>>> thing is, I have used AlienBBC successfully since version 10, so it
>>> must be something to do with my new server.............
>>>
>>> One strange thing is that I got the error "cannot connect to http
>>> daemon to get playlist ", even though the playlist did appear to
>>> show up correctly - I think!
>>>
>>> I had a backup of an old "working" slimserver configuration which
>>> still had AlienBBC 11.0 configured on it. Same problems though. I
>>> disabled iptables but that didn't make any difference. The things
>>> is, my iptables configuration doesn't affect local traffic anyway,
>>> so iptables should be irrelevant.
>>>
>>> Btw, one of the things I forgot to mention in an earlier mail is
>>> that I changed 3 perl scripts from port 5123 to port 9999, and I
>>> still got the same error.......
>>>
>>> The scripts I changed were:
>>>
>>> transcoder_proxy.pl
>>> AlienExternalStreamMenu.pm
>>> Plugin.pm
>>>
>>> I'll try some more checks when I get home tonight.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>
>>>
>>> Jules Taplin wrote:
>>>
>>>> Erm. *gulp*.
>>>>
>>>> Ok. The 'Cannot Bind' error is normally because there is already a
>>>> transcoder_proxy running bound to that port.We know it must be a
>>>> proxy, because it's reports status information correctly.
>>>>
>>>> However... the plugin code is supposed to not launch another one if
>>>> it sees it (it calls a status check, and goes from there).
>>>>
>>>> Sadly... I'm gonna have to get to work.. .so I'll try to look more
>>>> into this tonight for you, OK?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -- Jules
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Patrick Delamere wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi All,
>>>>>
>>>>> Just when I had my Linux setup all perfect, it was time to fiddle
>>>>> around
>>>>>
>>>>> again and break something! :-)
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyway, I've just completed the process of replacing all the
>>>>> operating system
>>>>>
>>>>> on all my machines (err, all 2 of them ;-) ) with SuSE Linux 9.2,
>>>>> and have
>>>>>
>>>>> been working to rebuild my Slimserver.
>>>>>
>>>>> At one stage, Slimserver, including AlienBBC was working fine, but
>>>>> somewhere,
>>>>>
>>>>> somehow along the line, a few installations later, these stopped
>>>>> working
>>>>>
>>>>> 2 scenarios are now occurring:
>>>>>
>>>>> [1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
>>>>>
>>>>> [2] After one song, the sound stream stops completely and I just
>>>>> get a weird
>>>>>
>>>>> continuous hissing sound (so far WMA files only).
>>>>>
>>>>> Before I explain more about the above, below is my server spec:
>>>>>
>>>>> Slimserver 5.4.0-1
>>>>>
>>>>> AlienBBC 12
>>>>>
>>>>> SuSE Linux 9.2 (2.6.8-24.10-default)
>>>>>
>>>>> AMD 2800+ Processor
>>>>>
>>>>> 1.5GB ram
>>>>>
>>>>> Wired 100bit LAN
>>>>>
>>>>> Perl v5.8.5
>>>>>
>>>>> HTML::Parser (updated via CPAN)
>>>>>
>>>>> HTTP::Daemon (updated via CPAN)
>>>>>
>>>>> Now to explain more about my 2 problems:
>>>>>
>>>>> [1] AlienBBC cannot bind to port 5123.
>>>>>
>>>>> Basically, everytime I click on a radio playlist, I get the
>>>>> following log
>>>>>
>>>>> entries:
>>>>>
>>>>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>>>>
>>>>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>>>>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
>>>>>
>>>>> 58.
>>>>>
>>>>> Having searched around, I tried the standard few things:
>>>>>
>>>>> [A] http://<ip-address>:5123/Status. [ok]
>>>>>
>>>>> STATUS: OK
>>>>>
>>>>> Proxy Diagnostics:
>>>>>
>>>>> Proxy set to use mplayer
>>>>>
>>>>> [B] Connect to http://<address of the slimserver
>>>>>
>>>>> box>:5123/RealAudio/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/realmedia/fmg2.rpm
>>>>> using
>>>>>
>>>>> RealPlayer 10. [ok]
>>>>>
>>>>> [C] Nothing else running on port 5123. [ok]
>>>>>
>>>>> So, despite both the above tests running ok, I still get the above
>>>>> error when
>>>>>
>>>>> trying to connect via the AlienBBC web interface.
>>>>>
>>>>> As well as the connection issues as described above, I also get
>>>>>
>>>>> Going to play:
>>>>> /var/slimserver/playlists/AlienStream/Bayern2_Radio.smil
>>>>>
>>>>> cannot connect to http daemon to get playlist
>>>>>
>>>>> at /usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Scan.pm line 364.
>>>>>
>>>>> going to Item: 6
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: Bayern1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.0.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: Bayern2 Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.1.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: Bayern3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.2.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: Bayern4 Klassik, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.3.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: Bayern5 Aktuell, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.4.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: DeutschlandRadio Berlin, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.5.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: Deutschland Funk, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.6.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: MDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.7.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: N-Joy, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.8.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: NDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.9.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: NDR Info, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.10.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: NDR Kultur, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.11.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: Radio Hamburg, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.12.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: SWR1, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.13.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: SWR3, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.14.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: Talk Radio, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.15.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: WDR2, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.16.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: WDR5, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.17.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: WDR Eins Live, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.18.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: WXPN, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.19.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: wdr5-wm32, index.html?menu=6.&play=6.20.
>>>>>
>>>>> Adding: AlienBBC Home, index.html
>>>>>
>>>>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>>>>
>>>>> Found lame at: /usr/local/bin/lame
>>>>>
>>>>> Couldn't bind to port 5123 at
>>>>> /usr/local/slimserver/transcoder_proxy.pl line
>>>>>
>>>>> 58.
>>>>>
>>>>> Status requested
>>>>>
>>>>> Closing Down 10.10.28.13:1912
>>>>>
>>>>> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)
>>>>>
>>>>> at /usr/local/slimserver/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 596.
>>>>>
>>>>> So, that's the AlienBBC issue.
>>>>>
>>>>> [2] After a few songs, the sound stream stops completely and I
>>>>> just get a
>>>>>
>>>>> weird continuous hissing sound.
>>>>>
>>>>> Like a very badly tuned radio, in fact, more like trying to a
>>>>> catch a station
>>>>>
>>>>> on a desert island with no radio mast for hundreds of miles, after
>>>>> playing
>>>>>
>>>>> one song, all I get is a continuous stream of hissing.
>>>>>
>>>>> It's probably important to mention at this stage that I have just
>>>>> listened to
>>>>>
>>>>> 10 MP3 files in a row without any problems, so I think this is a
>>>>> WMA issue.
>>>>>
>>>>> Below is my log output (whilst paying a few WMAs):
>>>>>
>>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>>
>>>>> Error while decoding stream #0.0
>>>>>
>>>>> size= 1056kB time=6.1 bitrate=1411.3kbits/s
>>>>>
>>>>> video:0kB audio:1056kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.004069%
>>>>>
>>>>> Stream mapping:
>>>>>
>>>>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>>>>
>>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>>
>>>>> Stream mapping:
>>>>>
>>>>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>>>>
>>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>>
>>>>> Error while decoding stream #0.0
>>>>>
>>>>> size= 30928kB time=179.5 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
>>>>>
>>>>> video:0kB audio:30928kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000139%
>>>>>
>>>>> size= 45408kB time=263.6 bitrate=1411.2kbits/s
>>>>>
>>>>> video:0kB audio:45408kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000095%
>>>>>
>>>>> Stream mapping:
>>>>>
>>>>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>>>>
>>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>>
>>>>> I hope it means something to someone, because it doesn't mean much
>>>>> to me.
>>>>>
>>>>> :-)
>>>>>
>>>>> After each song, I just seem to get:
>>>>>
>>>>> Stream mapping:
>>>>>
>>>>> Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
>>>>>
>>>>> Press [q] to stop encoding
>>>>>
>>>>> and that's it, the end of play and I have to go back to the web
>>>>> interface to
>>>>>
>>>>> select another song.
>>>>>
>>>>> So far I am only experiencing this with WMA files? Perhaps a
>>>>> problem with
>>>>>
>>>>> LAME? I am using the identical configuration (apart from software
>>>>> versions)
>>>>>
>>>>> as I did prior to the server rebuild, so I don't think it is a
>>>>> Slimserver
>>>>>
>>>>> configuration issue.
>>>>>
>>>>> Also, there was a time when all this was working after the
>>>>> rebuild, but I
>>>>>
>>>>> have installed so much onto the server now, that it's a big web to
>>>>> entangle
>>>>>
>>>>> to find out exactly what I did to break it! The same server that
>>>>> Slimserver
>>>>>
>>>>> runs on, also runs Exim, Horde/IMP, Webmin, Jboss, Resin, Qpopper,
>>>>> MySQL,
>>>>>
>>>>> Postgres, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Apache & Php. However, the server
>>>>> is not
>>>>>
>>>>> stressed in the slightest, and the 1.5gb memory is more than
>>>>> sufficient.
>>>>>
>>>>> Not sure this is relevant, but whenever I start slimserver.pl, I
>>>>> get the
>>>>>
>>>>> following error line:
>>>>>
>>>>> Subroutine HTML::Entities::decode_entities redefined
>>>>>
>>>>> at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line
>>>>> 253,
>>>>>
>>>>> <DATA> line 1.
>>>>>
>>>>> I would be very grateful indeed for some insight into the above
>>>>> problems.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>> Patrick
>>>>>
>>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>