• JoeMuc2009
    • Jan 2009

Squeezebox Classic (SB3) Repair Considerations

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 07:34:13 +0000, madpad wrote:
    >
    > philippe_44 wrote:
    >> Chris?

>
    > Yes to: chris (at) schoeppi.net so his name is Chris as it seems. ;-)

Yes, it is :-). Got your mail, will answer soon....

Ciao,

Schoepp

sigpic

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts
  • JoeMuc2009
    • Jan 2009

Squeezebox Classic (SB3) Repair Considerations

Hi there,

I've created another blog entry on Squeezebox Classic (SB3) typical issues and how to resolve them.
    It can be found here:

Hi all, this is a troubleshooting help for Squeezebox Classic (SB3) devices and the typical issues they may have or get after being in ...

Let me know if you find anything wrong or missing. It's a work in progress.

Cheers,
    Joe
    sigpic

Comment

• bpa
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JoeMuc2009
      Hi there,

I've created another blog entry on Squeezebox Classic (SB3) typical issues and how to resolve them.
      It can be found here:

Hi all, this is a troubleshooting help for Squeezebox Classic (SB3) devices and the typical issues they may have or get after being in ...

Cheers,
      Joe
      Here is a little more guidelines on replacement WLAN card. I think compatible chipsets included AR2413 to AR5212. The retail match was TP-Link TL-WN560G but not a WN360G. Also looking for physically similar cards (i.e same layout,shield, antenna locations) on pchub (http://www.pchub.com/uph/category/27...?ps=100&type=0 ) - there are planty of old laptop WLAN card that look physically similar only costs maybe about €5/$5 such as
      Packard Bell 17-000660
      Toshiba 17-000660
      ACER AR5BMB5
      Sparklan WMIA-165G
      Sony Vaio VGN-FS515H Internal WLAN WIFI Wireless Card Board 178901432 AR5BMB5
      Compex WLM54G 6AA1300 (although this has higher power output which might be a problem for player power supply)

I replaced a faulty WLAN card by a Packard Bell 17-000660 (google "wireless 17-000660" images)

Comment

• lvicini
        • Dec 2016

Hello,
        I am wondering where can you find the Noritake MN32032A (the display for the Squeezebox classic) in Europe.
        Cheers
        Luca

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by lvicini
          Hello,
          I am wondering where can you find the Noritake MN32032A (the display for the Squeezebox classic) in Europe.
          Cheers
          Luca
          I have made very good experience with the German sales office which is one of the few in Europe at all. You can e-mail them at [email protected].

Regards,
          Joe
          sigpic

Comment

• lvicini
            • Dec 2016

Hi Joe,

thanks for the tip. I will contact them.
            By the way, your blog is absolutely amazing.

Thank you so much
            Luca

Comment

• madpad
              • Jan 2019

Great Post!

Hey Joe

Great post and even better Blog, with such detailed repair instructions.

I also own several Squeezbox 3 (Classic) devices. I now have a problem with one of them. After a few hours of just being on standby the display turns off, and it won't react on any command until I unplug the power and plug it in again. After that, it runs for antoher few hours (sometimes even 24 hours..) but not much longer. I already replaced the power supply but it did not help, stil the same. I even reset the whole Slim, and today I tried now the Xilinx reset and hope this helps, but if not, any other ideas what it could be, that it just goes dark after some hours?

Best regards.
              Patrick

Hi there,

It can be found here:

Cheers,
              Joe

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by madpad
                Hey Joe

Great post and even better Blog, with such detailed repair instructions.

I also own several Squeezbox 3 (Classic) devices. I now have a problem with one of them. After a few hours of just being on standby the display turns off, and it won't react on any command until I unplug the power and plug it in again. After that, it runs for antoher few hours (sometimes even 24 hours..) but not much longer. I already replaced the power supply but it did not help, stil the same. I even reset the whole Slim, and today I tried now the Xilinx reset and hope this helps, but if not, any other ideas what it could be, that it just goes dark after some hours?

Best regards.
                Patrick
                Hi Patrick,

okay, and you are sure that it no longer reacts? It's not just the display that goes dark? Does playback cut off in the middle of playing?
                Because it's a huge difference between a SB that crashes and one that fails to power its display whereas anything else is fine.
                The display power circuitry might have issues similar to the Boom. However, the fix that I have found for the Boom circuitry does not work properly in the Classic. I never had any Classic with this sort of failure though, so there are no advice yet.

Best regards,
                Joe
                sigpic

Comment

• madpad
                  • Jan 2019

Hi Patrick,

okay, and you are sure that it no longer reacts? It's not just the display that goes dark? Does playback cut off in the middle of playing?
                  Because it's a huge difference between a SB that crashes and one that fails to power its display whereas anything else is fine.
                  The display power circuitry might have issues similar to the Boom. However, the fix that I have found for the Boom circuitry does not work properly in the Classic. I never had any Classic with this sort of failure though, so there are no advice yet.

Best regards,
                  Joe
                  Hey Joe

I did some more testing, and yes the device is completly offline and does not react to anything. I can't ping it nor will it react to any remote control actions.
                  Until now I never catched it when it was playing, as when I get home, it's offline. I disconnect power and connect it again. Listen to music. I go to bed, and in the morning it is gone again... But I could let it play over night, and check if it's offline in the morning or not. But perhaps it will go dark anyhow.

Thanks and best regards.
                  Patrick

Comment

• madpad
                    • Jan 2019

Hi Patrick,

Best regards,
                    Joe
                    Hey Joe

So I thought let's add 500 songs to play during the night, so I'm sure it would be playing in the morning. After I hit play, it started playing for about 15 seconds, and it got dark (offline) again. I could not ping the IP anymore. But now something new happend, it just rebooted, and came up with the first song of my 500 songs again. But it did not start playing. I just left it like that, and after a minute, it rebooted again, without me doing anything. So at the moment, it reboots constantly always after about 1 minute. That was never the case before, when I did not play anything.

Thanks for your guess.

Best regards.
                    Patrick

Comment

• philippe_44
                      • May 2008

Hey Joe

So I thought let's add 500 songs to play during the night, so I'm sure it would be playing in the morning. After I hit play, it started playing for about 15 seconds, and it got dark (offline) again. I could not ping the IP anymore. But now something new happend, it just rebooted, and came up with the first song of my 500 songs again. But it did not start playing. I just left it like that, and after a minute, it rebooted again, without me doing anything. So at the moment, it reboots constantly always after about 1 minute. That was never the case before, when I did not play anything.

Thanks for your guess.

Best regards.
                      Patrick
                      Sounds like the usual internal capacitor issue ...
                      LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• madpad
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by philippe_44
                        Sounds like the usual internal capacitor issue ...
                        Thanks Philippe. What do I need to do? Which capacitor needs replacing?

Comment

• bpa
                          • Oct 2005

Most of the detail is in Joe's blog - link in the first post of the thread.

Comment

• philippe_44
                            • May 2008

As @bpa says, you’ll find lots of information on Joe’s blog. I personally always replace all of them.
                            LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• madpad
                              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by philippe_44
                              As @bpa says, you’ll find lots of information on Joe’s blog. I personally always replace all of them.
                              Hey Philippe

So we are talking about all of them, listed under "Issue 4: Crashing Instead Of Playback Starting" right? I think I will open the SLIM now and check if I see something on the board, if not I will just replace all of them.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...