PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox suddenly stopped working help please

NE5
2018-11-07, 04:17
Hello.....my squeezebox has suddently stopped working, its always been a bit temperamental but lately not so much.

Last week I updated my windows monthly rollover and a few new updates (windows 7) and when I turned on the squeezebox it didn't connect.

I tried the usual .... rebooted PC, rebooted modem, rebooted the squeezebox including my hard wire which I use plugged into the modem, but nothing.

I looked at my settings. I also updated a SB upgrade which had lay dormant for a while, as I didn't want to touch it while it was working.

Nothing.

So I had no choice but to install the SB update and take it from there.

After numerous attempts to configure my IP xxx.xxx.1.65 (automatic) and then the SB currently playing xxx.xxx.1.67 (I'm sure it has been xxx.xxx.1.64) I eventually got it working under xxx.xxx.1.68 last night, but again this morning, it has stopped working again.

At my wits end now. I don't want to have to buy a new amplifier with a flash drive attachment, I like my old Rotel and KEF speakers.

slartibartfast
2018-11-07, 04:35
Hello.....my squeezebox has suddently stopped working, its always been a bit temperamental but lately not so much.

Last week I updated my windows monthly rollover and a few new updates (windows 7) and when I turned on the squeezebox it didn't connect.

I tried the usual .... rebooted PC, rebooted modem, rebooted the squeezebox including my hard wire which I use plugged into the modem, but nothing.

I looked at my settings. I also updated a SB upgrade which had lay dormant for a while, as I didn't want to touch it while it was working.

Nothing.

So I had no choice but to install the SB update and take it from there.

After numerous attempts to configure my IP xxx.xxx.1.65 (automatic) and then the SB currently playing xxx.xxx.1.67 (I'm sure it has been xxx.xxx.1.64) I eventually got it working under xxx.xxx.1.68 last night, but again this morning, it has stopped working again.

At my wits end now. I don't want to have to buy a new amplifier with a flash drive attachment, I like my old Rotel and KEF speakers.What happens when you click on "My Music"? Do you see a server to connect to? Can you connect to Mysqueezebox.com?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

NE5
2018-11-07, 04:41
the sequence I use is as follows

1. Set up networking

2. Connect by Ethernet Network

3. Obtain IP Automatically xxx.xxx.1.64 (or setup static address) (in the past this has been xxx.xxx.1.65)

4. Select music source xxx.xxx.1.68 (currently last digits are 68 which worked last night, but not this morning and has been anything from 64-68 in the past.

NE5
2018-11-07, 04:44
What happens when you click on "My Music"? Do you see a server to connect to? Can you connect to Mysqueezebox.com?

My Music ? Where is that ?

NE5
2018-11-07, 04:46
just connected to squeezebox . com and it gives me a range of options, one is to connect to Logitech Media Server (which used "66" at the end and didn't work. I have never used this option until now.

Man in a van
2018-11-07, 05:01
@ NE5
So, just to be clear.

You have a "squeezebox". which model is it?

You have a Windows 7 computer (Home or Pro, 32 or 64 bit)

Do you have Logitechmediaserver (which version) installed on the computer or do you always use mysqueezebox.com?

ronnie

slartibartfast
2018-11-07, 05:02
just connected to squeezebox . com and it gives me a range of options, one is to connect to Logitech Media Server (which used "66" at the end and didn't work. I have never used this option until now.Which Squeezebox do you have?

Man in a van
2018-11-07, 05:03
And is the "squeezebox" normally connected to the network by Ethernet or Wireless?

NE5
2018-11-07, 06:05
@ NE5
So, just to be clear.

Do you have Logitechmediaserver (which version) installed on the computer or do you always use mysqueezebox.com?

ronnie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg4mByaDMdQ this one, which is a squeezebox classic ?

NE5
2018-11-07, 06:10
@ NE5
So, just to be clear.

ronnie

windows 7 64 bit. Logitech server version 7.7.6 - 1521467459 @ Thurs Mar 29 16:46:01 WEDT 2018

(I don't understand that date as I have had the SB for a couple of years and updated it yesterday. I have always used the Logitech master server and never looked at mysqueezebox.com

NE5
2018-11-07, 06:12
it is also running in windows xp sp2 mode (not windows 7), I don't know why. My brother set it up for me like this as it previously belonged to him.

NE5
2018-11-07, 06:14
Which Squeezebox do you have?

its a squeezebox classic, I think.

I really don't understand why the IP number keeps changing from 1.68 to 1.64 or 1.65

I have never used mysqueezebox.com

NE5
2018-11-07, 06:21
And is the "squeezebox" normally connected to the network by Ethernet or Wireless?

Ethernet (used to be wireless but I got a hard wire plug connection about a year ago to cure constant disconnections and it has worked so far)

Paul Webster
2018-11-07, 07:26
I really don't understand why the IP number keeps changing from 1.68 to 1.64 or 1.65

Your router (or whatever is giving out DHCP addresses) might be set to issue a new one rather than remember to give old address to same MAC if not reused.

Is your LMS working fine from a web browser on the same network but not on the same machine as LMS?

Man in a van
2018-11-07, 07:50
Paul's in front of me whilst I have been typing

Well, you have a real can of worms there.:p

First off, you mention that the device has been playing up recently.

There are two main causes for this, if you search the forum. This is one sample thread

http://https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108576-Squeezebox-Classic-failing

I have run LMS on a windows 7 computer without any problem and without using the compatibility mode.

This is only general advice as I don't have a Classic

First off all check if it is on the network.

Your router web page will have a page showing attached devices, mine looks a bit like this

or you can look via the LMS web gui

I would later look to installing the most recent LMS version

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/3274df9fa1bdbffff7118a9a6a7d6394536047df/LogitechMediaServer-7.9.2-1541570037.exe

I just download the .exe and right click > install as administrator.

ronnie

NE5
2018-11-07, 07:56
Your router (or whatever is giving out DHCP addresses) might be set to issue a new one rather than remember to give old address to same MAC if not reused.

Is your LMS working fine from a web browser on the same network but not on the same machine as LMS?

sorry not sure what you mean ? LMS = Logitech media server ????? I am only running it on my PC.

NE5
2018-11-07, 08:00
Paul's in front of me whilst I have been typing

Well, you have a real can of worms there.:p

First off, you mention that the device has been playing up recently.

There are two main causes for this, if you search the forum. This is one sample thread

http://https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108576-Squeezebox-Classic-failing

I have run LMS on a windows 7 computer without any problem and without using the compatibility mode.

This is only general advice as I don't have a Classic

First off all check if it is on the network.

Your router web page will have a page showing attached devices, mine looks a bit like this

or you can look via the LMS web gui

I would later look to installing the most recent LMS version

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/3274df9fa1bdbffff7118a9a6a7d6394536047df/LogitechMediaServer-7.9.2-1541570037.exe

I just download the .exe and right click > install as administrator.

ronnie

the first link doesn't work. I'm now going to look and absorb what you've told me, it certainly looks like a can of worms !!!!

Man in a van
2018-11-07, 08:00
LMS has a web gui

Your computer IPAddress:9000.

eg. 192.168.1.107:9000

posted in a web browser search bar

See my post above

Man in a van
2018-11-07, 08:03
the first link doesn't work. I'm now going to look and absorb what you've told me, it certainly looks like a can of worms !!!!

sorry, clumsy fingres

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108576-Squeezebox-Classic-failing :rolleyes: (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108576-Squeezebox-Classic-failing)

NE5
2018-11-07, 09:11
sorry, clumsy fingres

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108576-Squeezebox-Classic-failing :rolleyes: (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108576-Squeezebox-Classic-failing)

interesting....but technical for me !! a few days ago, I actually knocked it off its shelf between TV and amp, and never thought nothing about it.

I just pushed the leads at the back (without making any difference that I could tell nothing was hanging out or anything) and its came straight on.

Sadly, I don't for a moment think when I turn it back on tomorrow this will have solved the problem even if I hope so.

The gist of these links is that you need to open up the SB and check the cards and how they are seated, is that right ? Where can I get new cards if I need one, I don't know how to diagnose this until I can absorb all the info in the link, if this is what I need to do ?

I would consider buying a new SB and setting it up from scratch myself rather than change amplifiers.

NE5
2018-11-07, 09:20
I unticked the run as windows xp sp2 option, so presumably it is now just running in windows 7, and I'm getting a message saying I don't have privileges to start of stop LMS backround services, so I need to log on and run as administrator ?? Don't get this ? Sorry.

Man in a van
2018-11-07, 09:38
I unticked the run as windows xp sp2 option, so presumably it is now just running in windows 7, and I'm getting a message saying I don't have privileges to start of stop LMS backround services, so I need to log on and run as administrator ?? Don't get this ? Sorry.

If it's not running

if it's already running, click on open web control

Man in a van
2018-11-07, 09:46
interesting....but technical for me !! a few days ago, I actually knocked it off its shelf between TV and amp, and never thought nothing about it.

I just pushed the leads at the back (without making any difference that I could tell nothing was hanging out or anything) and its came straight on.

Sadly, I don't for a moment think when I turn it back on tomorrow this will have solved the problem even if I hope so.

The gist of these links is that you need to open up the SB and check the cards and how they are seated, is that right ? Where can I get new cards if I need one, I don't know how to diagnose this until I can absorb all the info in the link, if this is what I need to do ?

I would consider buying a new SB and setting it up from scratch myself rather than change amplifiers.

A lot a folk find the power supply is the main reason for intermittent problems. It could be as simple as the connecting plug being disturbed and now partially failing.

It could also be a networking problem. If you are connected by ethernet then the wireless card problem can most likely be ignored.

Are you in the UK? I might be able to help with a temporary replacement.

ronnie

NE5
2018-11-07, 10:16
A lot a folk find the power supply is the main reason for intermittent problems. It could be as simple as the connecting plug being disturbed and now partially failing.

It could also be a networking problem. If you are connected by ethernet then the wireless card problem can most likely be ignored.

Are you in the UK? I might be able to help with a temporary replacement.

ronnie

Yes mate, I'm in the UK. For the moment, I've left it running, and enjoying listening to my hifi for the day now.

I'll see if it boots up again tomorrow !!!

I've told my other half that I will either fix it, buy another amp with a flash drive attachment (which I don't want to do because I like the sound of the one I have with my speakers), or a new Squeezebox and set it up myself etc etc, which never crossed my mind earlier as I didn't even think it could be bust.

Thanks for the offer, which I might take you up on, but she's not arguing about me wanting whatever I decide (which she wouldn't haha)

Must say, I'm no expert or a novice, but the info in this thread is now quite epic until I try to have another go tomorrow if I have to.

The connecting plugs are Broadband Extender Flex 600 kit from BT. My modem/router is also BT. I have had the router for a few years, I turned down a new one from BT because I didn't want to disturb all of this SB and all my other settings and my deal is well within what I use. BTW, I also tested the Squeezebox on wifi settings this afternoon, and it behaved exactly the same as the connecting plugs.

Many thanks for the replies from all of you for what you've told me so far.

NE5
2018-11-08, 04:07
I was hoping I would get up this morning and find I could at least have a look inside the squeezebox, but I don't have anything to unscrew the back.

I don't have the same screen as the one that shows "run as administrator". I don't have that option, I found it in the "start" menu but it has lots of options to choose.

Man in a van
2018-11-08, 04:33
Is the Squeezebox working?

Man in a van
2018-11-08, 04:58
If not a quick google found this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyVolts-Logitech-Squeezebox-Classic-replacement/dp/B0027CIZ38

NE5
2018-11-08, 05:23
its back to how it was. It boots up, but doesn't connect.

I haven't changed any settings from last night.

Its been erratic for a while, so maybe this trouble has been there for a while. I will take it out with me and try and get something to open it up, I think.

If they still made them, I'd buy a new one tbh. If I go down that route, what is the best, or newest models, that would do this job ?

what is a squeezebox touch ?

Is the old slimline devices the same, or inferior ? I've never used the radio, I just want to stream to my hifi.

alfista
2018-11-08, 05:28
I have to say I find the descriptions of your problem to be very hard to follow.

Can you give some detail about what you mean when you say your Squeezebox has stopped working.
It would seem that the display lights up and the unit accepts input from the remote, right?
Nevermind that the IP-address changes, that's a red herring, but the fact that you get an IP-address in the right range automatically indicates that quite a lot is healthy.

Did you ever verify that the server was actually running on your PC? If you launch a web browser on the PC you should normally be able to open the web interface by going to http://127.0.0.1:9000

Man in a van
2018-11-08, 05:36
have a read of this thread and some of the links contained in it.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103213-Squeezebox-3-common-faults-over-time

the power supply I linked to has got to be worth a punt surely?

Pm me your address and I'll pop a pi in the post for you to try.

I'm off out now, back soon

NE5
2018-11-08, 06:00
I have to say I find the descriptions of your problem to be very hard to follow.

Can you give some detail about what you mean when you say your Squeezebox has stopped working.
It would seem that the display lights up and the unit accepts input from the remote, right?
Nevermind that the IP-address changes, that's a red herring, but the fact that you get an IP-address in the right range automatically indicates that quite a lot is healthy.

Did you ever verify that the server was actually running on your PC? If you launch a web browser on the PC you should normally be able to open the web interface by going to http://127.0.0.1:9000

it turns on, and tries to connect, but won't.

It has occasionally failed to connect for a while now, I needed to reboot the SB, or my PC/router to get it working. Now it isn't working at all, apart from after numerous attempts when I don't do anything different at all, just change settings then it decides to play ball.

I must say, the theory that it is a dislodged or a faulty card fits and could be the reason.

NE5
2018-11-08, 06:07
have a read of this thread and some of the links contained in it.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103213-Squeezebox-3-common-faults-over-time

the power supply I linked to has got to be worth a punt surely?

Pm me your address and I'll pop a pi in the post for you to try.

I'm off out now, back soon

Yes, I'll try another plug.

All I want it to do, is stream my music from my PC in another room, remote it and give me a display.

I greatly appreciate your time here, I'll send you my address. Is this a raspberry pi ? I've heard of these, what do they do ? If I can set it up and it works, I would send it back to you and get another one or just pay you to keep it.

alfista
2018-11-08, 07:50
it turns on, and tries to connect, but won't.

It has occasionally failed to connect for a while now, I needed to reboot the SB, or my PC/router to get it working. Now it isn't working at all, apart from after numerous attempts when I don't do anything different at all, just change settings then it decides to play ball.

I must say, the theory that it is a dislodged or a faulty card fits and could be the reason.

Failed to connect? Any error message on the display helping us understand what's going on?

Did you check if the server is running?

So far I haven't seen any information to suggest it is (or isn't) a faulty board.

NE5
2018-11-08, 09:46
Failed to connect? Any error message on the display helping us understand what's going on?

Did you check if the server is running?

So far I haven't seen any information to suggest it is (or isn't) a faulty board.

the squeezebox turns on, and stays turned on. It goes through its connection sequence but fails to connect, despite several reboots of the SB, router and PC. It has connected twice in about the last 20 attempts, and numerous changes of IP selections, it just connected randomly.

The 2 times this week it connected, I touched nothing in terms of settings and the next day it didn't connect again.

I have tried letting it detect ip settings automatically, and manually.

If you mean, is the server running ie on the PC screen, then it appears to be but how can I tell if it isn't ??

left channel
2018-11-08, 09:49
what is a squeezebox touch ?

Is the old slimline devices the same, or inferior ? I've never used the radio, I just want to stream to my hifi.

Search for "Squeezebox Touch" on eBay. I think you'll be very happy upgrading to one of those. It was the last model before Logitech stopped production, and there's a thriving community of owners here on this forum.

alfista
2018-11-08, 12:31
the squeezebox turns on, and stays turned on. It goes through its connection sequence but fails to connect, despite several reboots of the SB, router and PC. It has connected twice in about the last 20 attempts, and numerous changes of IP selections, it just connected randomly.
You really go out of your way not to answer questions don't you?

I have tried letting it detect ip settings automatically, and manually.
Automatically is generally the way to go for players, as I said, if it's able to fetch an IP address it indicates that a lot of things are good.

If you mean, is the server running ie on the PC screen, then it appears to be but how can I tell if it isn't ??
If you can bring up the web interface it's a good bet it's OK, I even gave you a link to click on.

NE5
2018-11-08, 13:58
Search for "Squeezebox Touch" on eBay. I think you'll be very happy upgrading to one of those. It was the last model before Logitech stopped production, and there's a thriving community of owners here on this forum.

Probably a daft question but is it remoteable ? My old Rotel amp is NOT remoteable so I need the SB to do.that....whatever did we do when we had to and turn the volume up and down....

I.would be very happy to upgrade,. or something. I just want to get it all working again.

NE5
2018-11-08, 14:07
You really go out of your way not to answer questions don't you?

Automatically is generally the way to go for players, as I said, if it's able to fetch an IP address it indicates that a lot of things are good.

If you can bring up the web interface it's a good bet it's OK, I even gave you a link to click on.

Sorry mate I thought I was giving you as much as I could....I really appreciate all the help I'm getting here from everybody.

Yes I am getting it to search for ip automatically but it is not retaining the connection and failing next time I turn it on...asking me to go left and try again.

I've been reading all the advice and its a lot to take in. Today I opened it up and found the cards were still firmly in place so they hadnt moved.

I'm out just now so I'll try it all again but thank you for all the help.

NE5
2018-11-08, 14:11

Sorry I missed this last bit I'll do that. What sort if info will it give ?

The remote is working perfectly as is the "my music" menus, the problem is only when it tries to connect to LMS to scan my PC.

I am getting :

Can't connect to server"
"Left to go back, right to try again"

Then ive tried both actions repeatedly with no success, changing the ip address after typing the ones shown on my LMS properties on the PC. It has connected twice after lots if attempts, and both times Ive turned it back on the following day and back to square 1.

philippe_44
2018-11-08, 23:24

The remote is working perfectly as is the "my music" menus, the problem is only when it tries to connect to LMS to scan my PC.

I am getting :

Can't connect to server"

Then ive tried both actions repeatedly with no success, changing the ip address after typing the ones shown on my LMS properties on the PC. It has connected twice after lots if attempts, and both times Ive turned it back on the following day and back to square 1.

It really looks like a faulty SB3. This can happen with either a faulty WiFi card, in which case if you try the ethernet connection *and* sometimes removing the WiFi card itself, it will work, but sometimes even the ethernet connection itself fails. At least one verified caused of that is failing capacitor on the SB3 motherboard. I've just repared 2 of these with exactly the same issue over the past couple of weeks. If you are in the UK, send it to @JoeMuc2009, he is a great guy and does magic fixing these

toby10
2018-11-09, 01:32
Can't connect to server"

After you go back (left), scroll down all the way through the entire list of all menu items, loop back to the top menu items again.
Sometimes this causes the SB3 to now show more instances of LMS running on your network.

Run as Admin on Windows:
Start > All Programs > LMS > LMS (right click, select Run as Admin)

I wouldn't suggest messing around with manually inputting IP info for any device, unless you really know what you are doing.
I have 4 SB players, and numerous other network devices, all using only DHCP/auto. Never a problem.
The sole exception is my networked printer which has a reserved IP so all devices always know where it is.

alfista
2018-11-09, 02:57
If you're able to open the web interface to the server it's telling you that the server is at least running, a quick test you can do when the player is unable to connect.

I am getting :

Can't connect to server"

You shouldn't have to change anything, I'd even advice against it, just set it to automatically get IP through DCHP and then never touch it. With a few exceptions, setting IP addresses manually gives no major benefits and has a tendency to cause a lot of weird problems.
Another thing, I believe you said that you changed from wireless to ethernet, did you change the configuration in the Squeezebox to use the wired connection instead of the wireless?

bpa
2018-11-09, 10:15
Don't forget the obvious - a bad physical ethernet connection.

Have you tried different Ethernet cables ?
Have you visually checked the Ethernet socket of the SB player thta al the 8 pins in the socket are still present & straight.
Can you change the device at the other end of the cable - if necessary carry SB player closer to router and use earphones to test audio.

NE5
2018-11-10, 04:51
Thank you to everybody for the replies and advice I'm actually overwhelmed by the amount I've had. I've been busy over the last day or so but I will start off by trying what seems for me anyway to be the easiest things to try and hope I can find what is wrong.

In the meantime I opened up the SB and everything seemed fairly tight but you never know so I will wire it back together tmw and maybe get lucky.

I will try everything everybody has suggested I appreciate it all.

And I'll get back with the results of everything I attempt. If anybody thinks I've not got something right please say so I'm no novice at this but certainly no expert either.

Thank you to everybody.

NE5
2018-11-10, 05:07
I took a couple of photos of the properties box etc which shows my ip and LMS server status but cant upload them from my mobile so I'll try and do it when I'm home.

NE5
2018-11-11, 05:10

NE5
2018-11-11, 05:13

NE5
2018-11-11, 05:18
I've reconnected the squeezebox since taking the card out and putting it back. Nothing has changed.

The IP number in these photos ends .68

Today it ends with .65

When the SB boots up and it searches for the IP number, the IP number it finds automatically is .64

I am using the ethernet connection, as usual. I have tried to sync these IP numbers numerous times in the past week but nothing has changed other than the 2 times I got lucky but when I tried to connect again the next day, it wouldn't connect again.

NE5
2018-11-11, 05:21

Man in a van
2018-11-11, 05:24
@NE5

Have you checked your PM

NE5
2018-11-11, 05:33
I read it on my phone last night and just replied as I am home now.

Man in a van
2018-11-11, 05:33
This is my windows LMS

off out now, back later., will pm

NE5
2018-11-11, 05:42
yes, of course if my LMS was working I would get a layout more like yours ?

NE5
2018-11-11, 06:04

sorry about the blurred photo, but why are these ip numbers different ?

slartibartfast
2018-11-11, 06:37

sorry about the blurred photo, but why are these ip numbers different ?You can reserve an IP address for the server in your router settings. That would be one less thing to worry about.

NE5
2018-11-11, 06:55
in conjunction with the previous photos, taken today, this is the current diagnostic screen, also today with the server ip shown as .65 (when I took this a few days ago, see previous photos, it was .68)

NE5
2018-11-11, 06:57
You can reserve an IP address for the server in your router settings. That would be one less thing to worry about.

do you mean my BT router, how ?

slartibartfast
2018-11-11, 07:13
do you mean my BT router, how ?On my Virginmedia Hub3 it is under Advanced/DHCP settings "Reserved IP addresses". Which router do you have?

alfista
2018-11-11, 07:23
There does seem to be something amiss with your server, looking at the output from the web interface, but I doubt it's the cause of this problem.
You say you use ethernet, but do you have a cable connected straight to the router or do you use some kind of powerline ethernet plugs? These can become a bit unreliable.
Also, do you use any kind of firewall or anti-malware software on the PC?

Reserving an IP address for the PC will ensure that it will always get the same IP address, it shouldn't affect this issue, but I admit it's a bit strange that the PC gets different addresses. Often the router will assign the same address on the next boot.

NE5
2018-11-11, 07:56
On my Virginmedia Hub3 it is under Advanced/DHCP settings "Reserved IP addresses". Which router do you have?

BT Homehub 2. I've had it for quite a while, they offered me a new one last year but I said I didn't want one because it would mean me setting all this and other things up again.....if it ain't broke don't fix it etc ...... plus of course they wanted to charge me 60 quid for something I never asked for.

I've had this SB now for nearly 3 years, it was my brothers, he bought a new amp and didn't need it anymore, it was a bit temperamental when I used wifi so I bought the BT Broadband Extender Flex 600 kit and it was much better. Now and again it hasn't connected though and I've rebooted both the squeezebox and router to sort it. Lately it has probably been a bit worse, but nothing has been consistent. Until now, it won't connect and it keeps changing the server IP.

I would say that when I performed the windows rollup a couple of weeks ago, it triggered the failure I'm getting now, but that could just be co-incidence.

NE5
2018-11-11, 07:58
There does seem to be something amiss with your server, looking at the output from the web interface, but I doubt it's the cause of this problem.
You say you use ethernet, but do you have a cable connected straight to the router or do you use some kind of powerline ethernet plugs? These can become a bit unreliable.
Also, do you use any kind of firewall or anti-malware software on the PC?

Reserving an IP address for the PC will ensure that it will always get the same IP address, it shouldn't affect this issue, but I admit it's a bit strange that the PC gets different addresses. Often the router will assign the same address on the next boot.

I've got the router cabled into the Flexplug in the spare room, and the other plug which is in the living room is cabled to the SB.

I have been using malwarebytes and avast for years. This problem increased significantly when I did the windows monthly rollup a couple of weeks ago, but that could just be co-incidence.

Man in a van
2018-11-11, 09:07
Avast is "notorious" for causing all sorts of problems.

Try using the default Microsoft anti-virus. for Win 7 it's "Essentials" I think.

And just run Malwarebytes occasionally.

Completely (and I mean completely) uninstall Avast, install "Essentials" and reboot.

Man in a van
2018-11-11, 09:26
I've got the router cabled into the Flexplug in the spare room, and the other plug which is in the living room is cabled to the SB.

It is always recommended, certainly strongly suggested, that the Router is best served by being connected directly into the telephone system.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/1451406/1254416189/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTQxOTUzMjg3L3NpZC9ZYVEyb3lfbg==/filename/Hub2_QSG_and_UG_V6.pdf

My Master phone socket is in a hallway so I just run a longish extension cable from socket (with filters) to Router.

Paul Webster
2018-11-11, 11:38
Do you have any other computers, tablets or phones on the same network?
If yes ... try running a web browser on one of them and access your LMS ... something like
http://192.168.1.65:9000
where the 192.... is the current IP address of your LMS PC.

If that does not work then (assuming no typing mistakes) it implies that your PC is blocking access from other devices.
Which would then imply firewall/AV etc is causing problem.

NE5
2018-11-11, 12:44
It is always recommended, certainly strongly suggested, that the Router is best served by being connected directly into the telephone system.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/1451406/1254416189/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTQxOTUzMjg3L3NpZC9ZYVEyb3lfbg==/filename/Hub2_QSG_and_UG_V6.pdf

My Master phone socket is in a hallway so I just run a longish extension cable from socket (with filters) to Router.

Yep mate...sorry if i gave the wrong impression. Ive got phone sockets in both rooms the router is plugged directly into the socket.

And both ends of the BT flexplug are directly plugged into the electric wall sockets too as it tells you too.

alfista
2018-11-11, 13:49
And both ends of the BT flexplug are directly plugged into the electric wall sockets too as it tells you too.
If disabling the firewall or antimalware software doesn't help, next I'd look at those. It's a bit of a reach since the Squeezebox get an IP address from the router, but still worth investigating.
Just as an experiment, bring the Squeezebox to the same room as the router and use just the ethernet cable between the two. You'll see on the display if it connects to the server.
Those poweline adapters are great when they work, but sometimes they just don't.

NE5
2018-11-13, 11:09
If disabling the firewall or antimalware software doesn't help, next I'd look at those. It's a bit of a reach since the Squeezebox get an IP address from the router, but still worth investigating.
Just as an experiment, bring the Squeezebox to the same room as the router and use just the ethernet cable between the two. You'll see on the display if it connects to the server.
Those poweline adapters are great when they work, but sometimes they just don't.

I have today substituted a SB Touch for my SB classic, nothing is any different in all respects. Both via Ethernet and via Wireless.

Nothing connects. I also tried connecting my SB Touch direct, and next to, the router, and it will not connect.

So, to me, it seems like I have a firewall or some other type of similar config problem.

The strange thing for me, is that it has worked, albeit with the odd "no connection" for nearly 3 years now, so why the change, unless it is something to do with my windows firewall (which for some reason had been off and I have no idea when that could have happened) or AVast or malwarebytes during their recent updates have caused a conflict.

NE5
2018-11-13, 11:13
Do you have any other computers, tablets or phones on the same network?
If yes ... try running a web browser on one of them and access your LMS ... something like
http://192.168.1.65:9000
where the 192.... is the current IP address of your LMS PC.

If that does not work then (assuming no typing mistakes) it implies that your PC is blocking access from other devices.
Which would then imply firewall/AV etc is causing problem.

I understand where you are coming from here Paul, but don't quite get how to do it or exactly what you mean. I have the house phone, but I never, ever use it, it is only there for my broadband line.

The only other computer I have is a windows XP laptop which is now disabled from the internet, I use it for storage and for playing an old XP strategy game.

NE5
2018-11-13, 11:17

Man in a van
2018-11-13, 11:22
Steve, you have pm

NE5
2018-11-13, 11:23

NE5
2018-11-13, 11:37

why is LMS in there twice ? I have just disabled AVAST, see what happens, then I will uninstall it if necessary

Man in a van
2018-11-13, 11:42
If Avast is causing the problem then often disabling it does not work.

Man in a van
2018-11-13, 11:47
right click on the LMS icon in the Taskbar and select "Open Control Panel"
Ignore any red lettered message and click on the Diagostics tab
that will give you information that is helpful

did you check your pm

make sure that LMS is running

Man in a van
2018-11-13, 11:52
You should get something like this, I have removed part of the IP addresses

NE5
2018-11-13, 12:03

NE5
2018-11-13, 12:49
I have now disabled windows firewall, to restore the desktop as it had been....and the SB connected straightaway. No problem.

So now....(as Avast has a firewall too which has always been switched on) so tomorrow I'll uninstall Avast, restore Windows firewall, download MSE and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, then I will have to decide what to do. Go with Avast firewall and its AV programme, and disable windows firewall and run MSE or whatever.

Now I'm going to the pub

Question is, why on earth does Windows Firewall block this ? Or is it just that I've had 2 firewalls running the last few weeks ?

NE5
2018-11-14, 05:07
This morning, I have enabled the windows firewall so it blocks all public networks. I have NOT turned it on for home networks, and the SB is still working perfectly.

I have not as yet uninstalled AVAST which, upon closer inspection, does not have a firewall. The firewall comes with the paid version, but it does give me the following

what I am thinking now is.....was it the update to LMS I did before this problem, causing the problem insofar that I just needed to reset the windows firewall ?

If I now restore windows firewall to block home networks, everything is back to exactly how it was and I have then effectively changed nothing.

bpa
2018-11-14, 06:25
An intermiitent problem with windows a few ago used to be that when LMS was updated, you had to delete the old LMS from Windows Firewall "trusted applications" and then re-add LMS again so WIndows processes the new version (e.g. make a checksum to validate against LMS being modified by malware). It is as if Windows didn't recognise the new version of LMS as "safe" or "clean".

It looks like a similar issue.

NE5
2018-11-14, 06:26
You can reserve an IP address for the server in your router settings. That would be one less thing to worry about.

how do you do that ?

slartibartfast
2018-11-14, 06:52
how do you do that ?Log into your homehub and hopefully there will be a setting for it. Maybe someone who has a homehub can give more info.

BosseJ
2018-11-14, 09:43
Log into your homehub and hopefully there will be a setting for it. Maybe someone who has a homehub can give more info.

I don't have a BT homehub but I found something (https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-DHCP-reservations/m-p/1855486#M153179) via Google:
I assume you have admin access through the web interface on the homehub.

Re: Smart Hub DHCP reservations

So, I've figured this out after 45 minustes of swearing for the new SmartHub 6 ...

1. StaticIP: You set this on your device, not router.
2. DHCP: You can configure the range of IPs available from Advanced Settings > My Network > IPv4 Configuration
3. DHCP Reservation: Reserving a specific IP for a specific MAC Address from the router (can be outside the DHCP range set at point 2) is done by following the steps below:
a. Go to Advanced Settings > My Network > My Devices
b. Select the device you wish to reserve the IP for
c. Click on "Always use this IP"
d. Now the IP box is editable, edit the IP and save (I recommend also giving a meaningfull name to the device if it doesn't have one)
e. Restart the device you've made the change for (alternatively, disconnect and reconnect)

Worked for me today on about 5 devices, settings get saved even after I restart the router.

utgg
2018-11-14, 11:44
I don't have a BT homehub but I found something (https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-DHCP-reservations/m-p/1855486#M153179) via Google:
I assume you have admin access through the web interface on the homehub.

Re: Smart Hub DHCP reservations

So, I've figured this out after 45 minustes of swearing for the new SmartHub 6 ...

1. StaticIP: You set this on your device, not router.
2. DHCP: You can configure the range of IPs available from Advanced Settings > My Network > IPv4 Configuration
3. DHCP Reservation: Reserving a specific IP for a specific MAC Address from the router (can be outside the DHCP range set at point 2) is done by following the steps below:
a. Go to Advanced Settings > My Network > My Devices
b. Select the device you wish to reserve the IP for
c. Click on "Always use this IP"
d. Now the IP box is editable, edit the IP and save (I recommend also giving a meaningfull name to the device if it doesn't have one)
e. Restart the device you've made the change for (alternatively, disconnect and reconnect)

Worked for me today on about 5 devices, settings get saved even after I restart the router.

From my experience, I wouldn't recommend trying to change the ip address under the "Always use this IP" setting on a BT home hub - just check the option to tell the home hub to keep the current ip address permanently seems to work.
The BT home hub is a frustrating piece of equipment - I replaced mine with a cheap tp-link router which is better in every way...

d6jg
2018-11-14, 13:11
There are reasons why giving LMS a reserved IP address via Dhcp is the best approach but if you canít for whatever reason then you could manually give it a static IP outside of the dhcp range.
How you do this depends on the os that LMS is running on.
You do however need to access the router to check the dhcp range.
Google will tell you more or post back with more info if you want guidance.

Edit. A BT Home Hub or similar is worth exactly what you paid for it. Nothing. You get what you pay for.

NE5
2018-11-14, 14:18
An intermiitent problem with windows a few ago used to be that when LMS was updated, you had to delete the old LMS from Windows Firewall "trusted applications" and then re-add LMS again so WIndows processes the new version (e.g. make a checksum to validate against LMS being modified by malware). It is as if Windows didn't recognise the new version of LMS as "safe" or "clean".

It looks like a similar issue.

That would explain it. Just to clarify, you need to untick it from trusted progs, reboot windows, then tick it again ?

bpa
2018-11-14, 14:50
That would explain it. Just to clarify, you need to untick it from trusted progs, reboot windows, then tick it again ?
It used to be that you had to delete the entry - tick/untick means Windows keeps the old info.

NE5
2018-11-14, 15:15
And rebooting the computer will automatically pick it up again ????

bpa
2018-11-14, 15:50
And rebooting the computer will automatically pick it up again ????

No you'll need to tell Windows explicitly that LMS is a good application. IIRC the LMS firewall entry is made as part of the install process, after you delete you need to manually add a "new rule" for a program and then detail the LMS executable.

Before deleting the current LMS rule or rules - look in detail at how the LMS rule is currently setup - it should be something like Genral Tab - "allow Logitech media server to accept inbound connections" and other tabs may be fairly lax (i.e. all ports). Then you'll know how to re-create the rule.

NE5
2018-11-15, 05:28
No you'll need to tell Windows explicitly that LMS is a good application. IIRC the LMS firewall entry is made as part of the install process, after you delete you need to manually add a "new rule" for a program and then detail the LMS executable.

Before deleting the current LMS rule or rules - look in detail at how the LMS rule is currently setup - it should be something like Genral Tab - "allow Logitech media server to accept inbound connections" and other tabs may be fairly lax (i.e. all ports). Then you'll know how to re-create the rule.

I went into the windows firewall settings, "allow a program or feature through windows firewall" and it lists all the programs allowed. I unticked "Logitech Media Server" and "Squeezebox Server" then tried to make new entries, but neither are in the list in the sub box to create a new entry,as you just need to click on the program in a sub box it gives you, to make a new entry.

The other choice is to remove the program from the firewall and then presumably on re-boot it would offer you the chance to enter it again, with the new parameters . But what if it didn't ?

While there, I opened and closed my firewall while the squeezebox was on and my hifi running. It confirms definitely that this is what is stopping it working, the situation being that if I want to use my squeezebox to listen to the hifi I have to turn off my windows firewall.

Does this mean I will have to uninstall my LMS and install it again, for the firewall to let it through ? And if this is the case, it would mean it would be without the recent update....but at the moment I couldn't care less about that I wish I had never updated it.

NE5
2018-11-15, 05:55
the first 2 are what I have ticked in my firewall

and these 2 photos are files that I have which I could put into my firewall allow list

It appears that squeezetray.exe is the executable file, when I boot up the SB

NE5
2018-11-15, 06:23
I also found this, which must be when I did the update, it can't be anything else.

Do you think I could remove the entries in the firewall, re run this installation, or restore old version 7.7.6

bpa
2018-11-15, 07:00
I also found this, which must be when I did the update, it can't be anything else.

Do you think I could remove the entries in the firewall, re run this installation, or restore old version 7.7.6

I don;t use Windows on a daily basis - only to test plugin so I can't say if that file is the right one unless you show the full directory path.

If you want to be thorough.
1. Uninstall LMS using LMS uninstall facility
2. Delete all LMS and Squeezeserv stuff in the firewall
3. Reboot the system in cache something is cached.
4. Install LMS - why use an old version ? why not 7.9.2 ? For example, 7.7.6 may not able to fully handle HTTPS stream or URLs and so you may get "odd" errors.

slartibartfast
2018-11-15, 07:03
You could turn off Windows Firewall and install Zonealarm instead.

NE5
2018-11-15, 07:18
I don;t use Windows on a daily basis - only to test plugin so I can't say if that file is the right one unless you show the full directory path.

If you want to be thorough.
1. Uninstall LMS using LMS uninstall facility
2. Delete all LMS and Squeezeserv stuff in the firewall
3. Reboot the system in cache something is cached.
4. Install LMS - why use an old version ? why not 7.9.2 ? For example, 7.7.6 may not able to fully handle HTTPS stream or URLs and so you may get "odd" errors.

what does "Reboot the system in cache something is cached". mean ?

NE5
2018-11-15, 07:20
You could turn off Windows Firewall and install Zonealarm instead.

I used to use Zonealarm years ago, when I first started using the internet ie in the days of 56k dialups etc probably. It was quite good and tbh this thought has crossed my mind.

bpa
2018-11-15, 07:42
what does "Reboot the system in cache something is cached". mean ?

Typo - I was in a hurry - fingers were faster than my brain -"in case something is cached" Windows caches executables for fast startup.

NE5
2018-11-15, 07:57
Typo - I was in a hurry - fingers were faster than my brain -"in case something is cached" Windows caches executables for fast startup.

I've got to do something and I see this as a bit drastic but I've been thinking about that too and don't really think I have much choice. I can't leave my firewall down every time I put the hifi on.

bpa
2018-11-15, 07:59
I've got to do something and I see this as a bit drastic but I've been thinking about that too and don't really think I have much choice. I can't leave my firewall down every time I put the hifi on.

Less drastic is to delete the LMS specific entries and then create new entries with new executables - needs more preparation but overall less work.

Paul Webster
2018-11-15, 08:09
On a similar track ...
If you remove LMS from the firewall, set LMS to not restart on boot ... then reboot and then when stabilised ... start LMS.
The firewall might then prompt to allow access.
Then set LMS to auto start (ready for the next boot).

Man in a van
2018-11-15, 08:28
Steve, as yet you have not confirmed if Windows firewall is the source of your problem.

Apparently you are still running Avast.

Have you yet uninstalled Avast (not disable) rebooted and then run with the default Windows firewall and MSE.

It seems to me you are approaching the problem from the wrong end.

I have run LMS from all types of Windows OS with just the default firewall and Microsoft anti-virus without these sort of problems.

i have never had need of a static IP or anything else. Just kept it plain a simple without programs like Avast, Zone Alarm or CCC which have all caused me grief in one way or the other.

ronnie

NE5
2018-11-15, 13:11
I've uninstalled Avast, installed MSE, as Man In A Van said, restored my windows firewall, uninstalled the squeezebox software reinstalled it and it is all running properly.

I'm very puzzled by a few issues though.

How did it run perfectly, or mostly, for nearly 3 years with AVast and a windows firewall ? Why is it not running 7.7.6 anymore but instead running 7.5.6.....I am getting the bubble again saying an update is available but for the moment I don't think I'll bother thanks....but I'll do it in a few days or so now I've set this up again I have more knowledge so I know if it messes up I can put it right but I have a feeling it will be fine.

I couldn't possibly have left my firewall open all day with my hifi on so I am really pleased it seems that the new config is working and now that I have MSE I will stick to it too. MSE might not have a "bank mode" like Avast free version does but it is giving me real time protection instead, and everything is working.

Thank you to everybody for all the advice and help so far.

One other thing, is that I have installed the squeezebox software but not the Logitech Media software. Previously I used them both, but it worked using the squeezebox only so I'm leaving it alone for the moment. I would have installed both programmes but the SB programme came on as soon as I input my audio tracks into it.

slartibartfast
2018-11-15, 13:25
I've uninstalled Avast, installed MSE, as Man In A Van said, restored my windows firewall, uninstalled the squeezebox software reinstalled it and it is all running properly.

I'm very puzzled by a few issues though.

How did it run perfectly, or mostly, for nearly 3 years with AVast and a windows firewall ? Why is it not running 7.7.6 anymore but instead running 7.5.6.....I am getting the bubble again saying an update is available but for the moment I don't think I'll bother thanks....but I'll do it in a few days or so now I've set this up again I have more knowledge so I know if it messes up I can put it right but I have a feeling it will be fine.

I couldn't possibly have left my firewall open all day with my hifi on so I am really pleased it seems that the new config is working and now that I have MSE I will stick to it too. MSE might not have a "bank mode" like Avast free version does but it is giving me real time protection instead, and everything is working.

Thank you to everybody for all the advice and help so far.

One other thing, is that I have installed the squeezebox software but not the Logitech Media software. Previously I used them both, but it worked using the squeezebox only so I'm leaving it alone for the moment. I would have installed both programmes but the SB programme came on as soon as I input my audio tracks into it.What do you mean you have installed Sqieezebox software not Logitech Media software? Surely you want to install LMS 7.9.2 which is the latest and greatest. That would explain why it is 7.5.6.

Edit. If you originally had Squeezebox Server and then installed Logitech Media Server then Squeezebox Server would have been replaced by LMS.

alfista
2018-11-15, 13:30
I have run LMS from all types of Windows OS with just the default firewall and Microsoft anti-virus without these sort of problems.

i have never had need of a static IP or anything else. Just kept it plain a simple without programs like Avast, Zone Alarm or CCC which have all caused me grief in one way or the other.
Agreed. Currently don't have it running on any windows machine but never had to jump through any hoops when I did. Just the default stuff and it never missed a beat.

NE5
2018-11-15, 13:41
What do you mean you have installed Sqieezebox software not Logitech Media software? Surely you want to install LMS 7.9.2 which is the latest and greatest. That would explain why it is 7.5.6.

Edit. If you originally had Squeezebox Server and then installed Logitech Media Server then Squeezebox Server would have been replaced by LMS.

maybe that is right, I initially left it alone as I was so relieved it just worked, but I've also came to a similar conclusion.

Are you saying that SB server BECAME Logitech Media Server ? I must admit, I hadn't thought of that. I thought they were 2 seperate entities performing different functions. It wasn't me who installed Squeezebox onto my computer 3 years ago. I WAS going to install the new version anyway, I looked on the logitech site for the newest version but couldn't find anything so I input the SB exe file first (and as I said it worked).

slartibartfast
2018-11-15, 13:57
maybe that is right, I initially left it alone as I was so relieved it just worked, but I've also came to a similar conclusion.

Are you saying that SB server BECAME Logitech Media Server ? I must admit, I hadn't thought of that. I thought they were 2 seperate entities performing different functions. It wasn't me who installed Squeezebox onto my computer 3 years ago. I WAS going to install the new version anyway, I looked on the logitech site for the newest version but couldn't find anything so I input the SB exe file first (and as I said it worked).Exactly that. When Logitech brought out the Revue which streamed Audio and Video they changed the name to Logitech Media Server. You can find the latest version here.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9

Man in a van
2018-11-15, 14:10
Exactly that. When Logitech brought out the Revue which streamed Audio and Video they changed the name to Logitech Media Server. You can find the latest version here.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9

As referenced in post #15

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?109713-Squeezebox-suddenly-stopped-working-help-please&p=924839&viewfull=1#post924839

slartibartfast
2018-11-15, 14:14
As referenced in post #15

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?109713-Squeezebox-suddenly-stopped-working-help-please&p=924839&viewfull=1#post924839Absolutely.

NE5
2018-11-16, 06:05
sorry....missed that among all this info......I've updated it to 7.9.2 now and everything seems fine. The only difference is the screen is slightly different, and I am still getting the balloon saying an update is available, and an option to update it in the properties box ?

The firmware 2 weeks ago was nr 137, yesterday it was 134, today since the update it is now 137 again.

It is def 7.9.2 but I'm not going to touch it again for now if there really is an update it can wait.