PDA

View Full Version : Can't Play Digital Music Purchases! Help?

Matt Hooper
2018-10-23, 18:26
Hi folks, my first post here.

I've been using the logitech media server on a Raspberry Pi for a while now and have encountered my first problem.

I've purchased a few digital albums - my first aside from previous itunes purchases - and they just won't show up on my logitech server!

Normally I rip my CDs in to aif format, via itunes, transfer those on to my external music hard drive, re-attach to my Raspberry Pi, re-scan for new music, and the new additions appear.

But when I download the digital copies of albums I've purchased and copy them to my music drive, they don't show up when I re-scan for new music.

The digital albums were purchased from SHOWUP RECORDS.

Among the download formats available were flac, wav, aiff. I first chose aiff figuring that should work out the same as the aif files I've been using for my CD rips. But...that wouldn't show up when scanning for them. Then I tried downloading them as flac files. Again...the server can't find them.

Any idea what is going on, and how I can get my server to find the new digital albums?

Thanks!

- Matt Hooper.

"anyone eating this?"

Apesbrain
2018-10-23, 20:03
Are the files tagged properly? Not sure LMS can display files if they aren't tagged. Can you see them in "Music Folder" view?

Matt Hooper
2018-10-23, 20:06
Thanks for the reply!

Are the files tagged properly? Not sure LMS can display files if they aren't tagged. Can you see them in "Music Folder" view?

I'm not sure how I'd know if they are tagged properly.

If it helps: I just looked at the flac files, played one song in itunes and it played fine, with a small album image.

But, no, the digital album files do not show up in the "music folder" view either!

mherger
2018-10-23, 21:40
Run a scan in verbose mode (Settings/Advanced/Logging, set scanner
logging from the top dropdown list). Re-run a scan, check whether
scanner.log would mention your files.

--

Michael

slartibartfast
2018-10-23, 23:20
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure how I'd know if they are tagged properly.

If it helps: I just looked at the flac files, played one song in itunes and it played fine, with a small album image.

But, no, the digital album files do not show up in the "music folder" view either!

Are you sure you put them in the correct folder? A folder will show up in "Music Folder" view even if it is empty.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

d6jg
2018-10-24, 00:43
Digital downloads are often delivered in a Zip file. You have extracted the Zip to relevant folders ?

To check tags get yourself a copy of mp3tag (freeware).

Mnyb
2018-10-24, 03:34
If you move the drive between the pi and another machine (instead of mounting it over the network) you can get permissions problems , make sure it has th same folder and file permissions as the other files

w3wilkes
2018-10-24, 10:53

I was not aware that iTunes could play flac files. How was that accomplished?

garym
2018-10-24, 14:50
I was not aware that iTunes could play flac files. How was that accomplished?

I thought the same thing. My iTunes will not play FLAC files.

Matt Hooper
2018-10-24, 15:43
Thanks again for the help!

mherger,

I followed your instructions and ran another scan. It didn't seem to help. I checked the scanner log file and the digital albums did not show up there.

slartibartfast,

I dragged the digital albums in to my "New Music" folder, the same folder I drag all my newer CD rips in to. I just ripped another CD via itunes on my mac, dragged them in to the same folder, and they showed up. Just can't see those darned purchased digital albums!

d6jg,

Yes, files are unzipped.

Mnyb,

I have more than one iMac. My work iMac and a spare. Usually I use my spare to burn CDs and then drag them into my music folder on my external music drive. So that means I unhook my external drive from the Pi to hook to my Mac, drag the files on, hook back up to the PI, re-scan for new music, and it shows up.
The only thing different this time is that I downloaded my purchased digital albums via my work iMac. Then I hooked up my external music drive, dragged the digital album on to my external drive, in to the usual "New Music" folder. Re-scanned...and won't show up. Does this help explain anything that might be going on? Not sure how the "permissions" problem would work. Thanks.

w3wilkes,

iTunes won't play flac. That's one reason I moved from streaming from iTunes to the logitech sever. Even though I don't own any flac files (until now) I wanted that capability. Plus I wanted to finally get in to trying high-res digital. Normally I just use iTunes to rip my CDs to AIF. But since the logitech server/Pi should be able to play flac, after downloading the album in AIFF didn't work, I tried downloading the FLAC version. So right now the album exists on my external hard drive in both FLAC and AIFF mode.

Though a question arises: as I said, I normally rip to AIF...but the first download of the album was in AIFF....which shouldn't matter, should it?

Thanks again everyone! I sure hope I can fix this because I really want to be able to be able to purchase albums on-line and play them via my server!

Matt Hooper
2018-10-24, 22:12
I just don't understand. I keep trying to post a reply to the various people who have responded, but every time I do it seems to go in to moderation and never appears.

What gives?

mherger
2018-10-24, 22:20
> I just don't understand. I keep trying to post a reply to the various
> people who have responded, but every time I do it seems to go in to
> moderation and never appears.
>
> What gives?

Moderators need some sleep every now and then. I'm sorry for the delay :-).

--

Michael

Matt Hooper
2018-10-24, 22:27
> I just don't understand. I keep trying to post a reply to the various
> people who have responded, but every time I do it seems to go in to
> moderation and never appears.
>
> What gives?

Moderators need some sleep every now and then. I'm sorry for the delay :-).

--

Michael

Thanks Michael, I see my post has now shown up on the previous page (and I deleted the duplicates). Sorry, I guess I'm not quite sure yet how the forum works. Are all posts moderated?

Mnyb
2018-10-24, 22:39
Thanks Michael, I see my post has now shown up on the previous page (and I deleted the duplicates). Sorry, I guess I'm not quite sure yet how the forum works. Are all posts moderated?

Afiak they are to begin with after some x posts not and after y post you can post links and pictures.
Thats to insure youre not a bot , so when yo been here a while you wont notice and your posts go online as fast as you can type them

slartibartfast
2018-10-24, 23:29
Thanks again for the help!

mherger,

I followed your instructions and ran another scan. It didn't seem to help. I checked the scanner log file and the digital albums did not show up there.

slartibartfast,

I dragged the digital albums in to my "New Music" folder, the same folder I drag all my newer CD rips in to. I just ripped another CD via itunes on my mac, dragged them in to the same folder, and they showed up. Just can't see those darned purchased digital albums!

d6jg,

Yes, files are unzipped.

Mnyb,

I have more than one iMac. My work iMac and a spare. Usually I use my spare to burn CDs and then drag them into my music folder on my external music drive. So that means I unhook my external drive from the Pi to hook to my Mac, drag the files on, hook back up to the PI, re-scan for new music, and it shows up.
The only thing different this time is that I downloaded my purchased digital albums via my work iMac. Then I hooked up my external music drive, dragged the digital album on to my external drive, in to the usual "New Music" folder. Re-scanned...and won't show up. Does this help explain anything that might be going on? Not sure how the "permissions" problem would work. Thanks.

w3wilkes,

iTunes won't play flac. That's one reason I moved from streaming from iTunes to the logitech sever. Even though I don't own any flac files (until now) I wanted that capability. Plus I wanted to finally get in to trying high-res digital. Normally I just use iTunes to rip my CDs to AIF. But since the logitech server/Pi should be able to play flac, after downloading the album in AIFF didn't work, I tried downloading the FLAC version. So right now the album exists on my external hard drive in both FLAC and AIFF mode.

Though a question arises: as I said, I normally rip to AIF...but the first download of the album was in AIFF....which shouldn't matter, should it?

Thanks again everyone! I sure hope I can fix this because I really want to be able to be able to purchase albums on-line and play them via my server!LMS allows tracks to be played by drag and drop into the playing pane on the right hand side of the web GUI. What happens if you try that with one of these problem files?

mherger
2018-10-24, 23:30
> Thanks Michael, I see my post has now shown up on the previous page (and
> I deleted the duplicates). Sorry, I guess I'm not quite sure yet how
> the forum works. Are all posts moderated?

No, only _some_. What exact rules apply I don't know, tbh. I know that
new members go through stronger rules. And posting log files or URLs
etc. adds to the risk of being moderated, too. I guess it's based on
some filter which tries to figure out whether somebody tried to
obfuscate spammy messages and the like. Overall it's probably a hand
full of messages a day.

--

Michael

d6jg
2018-10-25, 03:34
You said

"The only thing different this time is that I downloaded my purchased digital albums via my work iMac. Then I hooked up my external music drive, dragged the digital album on to my external drive, in to the usual "New Music" folder. Re-scanned...and won't show up. Does this help explain anything that might be going on? Not sure how the "permissions" problem would work. Thanks."

That is almost certainly the issue. You used a different machine and the permissions for the files you moved have those permissions. LMS can't read them. Try again via your home Mac.

Matt Hooper
2018-10-25, 08:53
slartibartfast

I put the album on a thumb drive, and tried dragging the album folder in to the player window of the web interface. When I did I got the error:
"No playable items found. Only audio files can be played."

If I tried to drag a single song on to the player window, nothing would happen.

I then dragged the album folder on to the left pane of the GUI, and then the window actually changed to an index of all the songs in that album folder, with each song highlighted in html. The only thing that happens if I click one of those songs is that it will download via the web browser to my mac. Not sure what use this is.

BTW, on either of my Macs I can see the album folder and when I double click a song it opens in itunes and plays.

d6jg,

Unfortunately my links to the media are now expired. If I have to maybe I can contact the company to re-open the links for me (?). In any case, I'm still confused about the permissions aspect. Whether I download the album to my work mac, or my home mac, in both cases I have to copy it on to my external music driver to hook up to my Pi. Why should that work on one mac and not the other?

d6jg
2018-10-25, 09:05
slartibartfast

I put the album on a thumb drive, and tried dragging the album folder in to the player window of the web interface. When I did I got the error:
"No playable items found. Only audio files can be played."

If I tried to drag a single song on to the player window, nothing would happen.

I then dragged the album folder on to the left pane of the GUI, and then the window actually changed to an index of all the songs in that album folder, with each song highlighted in html. The only thing that happens if I click one of those songs is that it will download via the web browser to my mac. Not sure what use this is.

BTW, on either of my Macs I can see the album folder and when I double click a song it opens in itunes and plays.

d6jg,

Unfortunately my links to the media are now expired. If I have to maybe I can contact the company to re-open the links for me (?). In any case, I'm still confused about the permissions aspect. Whether I download the album to my work mac, or my home mac, in both cases I have to copy it on to my external music driver to hook up to my Pi. Why should that work on one mac and not the other?

Because a Mac is Linux and each user of a Linux system has a unique ID.

What happens if you copy the files back from your external HD to your home Mac then put another copy back onto the external HD but in a different folder e.g. from Music/Some Artist/Some Album but back to Music/Some Artist/Some Album 2 ?

garym
2018-10-25, 09:07
Not sure, but your description makes me think you havent actually downloaded the files. You just have links to the files. In the listing of files in the album folder on your thumb drive, what file types are shown? Name.flac, etc.

Matt Hooper
2018-10-25, 09:26
graym,

The files are downloaded. The album folder is 596 MB. Each file song name has .aiff on the end. Under "kind" of file is listed "AIFF-C audio."

slartibartfast,

I don't think I made my question clear. What I meant was: If it's a permissions problem linked to a particular computer, why can I easily open and play the album on either my work mac or home mac?
And also, if it's a permissions problem linked to a single computer, how would I ever play the files in either case, no matter what mac I used to download? Because whatever computer I use to download from, I will still be copying it on to an external music driver hooked up to the Pi, and won't be using the original mac to play the files anyway. That's what has me confused about your suggestion.

I'll try the step you suggested. Thanks.

Matt Hooper
2018-10-25, 09:43
slartibartfast,

I copied the album from my external drive to the original mac (work mac) on which I downloaded the files. Then I copied the album folder back from the mac to my external drive, in to a new folder "test music" folder.
Upon re-scanning, the album still doesn't show up in the squeezebox GUI.

d6jg
2018-10-25, 10:00
slartibartfast,

I copied the album from my external drive to the original mac (work mac) on which I downloaded the files. Then I copied the album folder back from the mac to my external drive, in to a new folder "test music" folder.
Upon re-scanning, the album still doesn't show up in the squeezebox GUI.

Use the Home Mac to do this not the Wotk Mac! If it is permissions it is the work Mac that creates the issue

slartibartfast
2018-10-25, 10:04
You could try to drag and drop a FLAC version of a track. If that doesn't work then maybe try converting one of the files to FLAC yourself and trying that.

mherger
2018-10-25, 14:22
> Upon re-scanning, the album still doesn't show up in the squeezebox GUI.

Please share your scanner.log after you've done a full scan with logging
for the scanner enabled.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a

--

Michael

Matt Hooper
2018-10-27, 08:28
Use the Home Mac to do this not the Wotk Mac! If it is permissions it is the work Mac that creates the issue

I will try that later today.

But I'm still confused about what is purportedly causing the problem.

Do you mean that a purchased digital album only comes with "permission" to play on the computer it was downloaded to? If that's the case...how do we ever transfer this music to an external drive for use in our music server system?

Matt Hooper
2018-10-27, 08:28
> Upon re-scanning, the album still doesn't show up in the squeezebox GUI.

Please share your scanner.log after you've done a full scan with logging
for the scanner enabled.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a

--

Michael

I'll do that, but I'm wondering why you have a dropbox link. Wouldn't I just copy/paste the log in to a reply here?

kidstypike
2018-10-27, 08:44
Just a thought - anyone been messing here:

garym
2018-10-27, 08:49

Do you mean that a purchased digital album only comes with "permission" to play on the computer it was downloaded to? If that's the case...how do we ever transfer this music to an external drive for use in our music server system?

I don’t think this is typically a problem unless you’ve done something non default with LMS install regarding the user. In my own case in addition to my cds ripped on a windows machine, I have downloaded purchased files (flac, mp3, m4a, and ALAC) free files, etc. on my windows machine then transferred those to other windows machines, and Linux machines, including vortex box (fedora Linux) and an RPi running LMS. (See my signature)

With all this, I’ve never had a single issue with file permissions on using files in all locations. And I’ve never had to set anything related to permissions.

garym
2018-10-27, 08:52
I'll do that, but I'm wondering why you have a dropbox link. Wouldn't I just copy/paste the log in to a reply here?

Could be really long and/or not have proper formatting for ease of reading.

d6jg
2018-10-27, 09:12

No I don’t mean that.
Linux works with users and file permissions for that user.
When you copy music from your home Mac to the USB disk the files get stamped with the user id for the user of the home Mac. This is probably the admin user (or “root” in Linux terms). Your LMS on the Pi will also use “root” so can read the files,
The user you have on the work Mac is in all probability NOT root so when you copy files from there they are owned by that user and may not be readable by the Pi.
By making fresh copies on your home Mac and writing them from there they should assume the same user as all the rest on the USB disk.
If it isn’t that then it will be that the audio files themselves are not compatible. To fix that it is usually a case of reconverting them from FLAC to FLAC using some other software.

Mnyb
2018-10-27, 09:55
Also if you mount the drive over the network and have it always conected to the pi , when you transfer files they will usually get the rigth user if you set up things correctly .

Linux system can be a bit finicky with users and file rigths.

Mnyb
2018-10-27, 09:57
You could log on to the pi with a terminal and make sure you have the rigth user and file and folder permissions on the files.
When it’s connected to the pi .

Matt Hooper
2018-10-27, 19:26
Ugh!

Ok, so I copied the album (both AIFF and FLAC version) to my home imac, then copied it back on to my music folder in the external drive. Re-scanned: the album still won't show up.

I was thinking of trying to buy another digital album from the same place and just trying again. If I do that, are there suggestions for how I could go about downloading that album? Should I download using my home mac instead?

I still don't get why my work mac would have a problem that any of my other macs wouldn't have in terms of this permissions stuff.

slartibartfast
2018-10-28, 00:57
Ugh!

Ok, so I copied the album (both AIFF and FLAC version) to my home imac, then copied it back on to my music folder in the external drive. Re-scanned: the album still won't show up.

I was thinking of trying to buy another digital album from the same place and just trying again. If I do that, are there suggestions for how I could go about downloading that album? Should I download using my home mac instead?

I still don't get why my work mac would have a problem that any of my other macs wouldn't have in terms of this permissions stuff.Have you tried reconverting to FLAC?

Matt Hooper
2018-10-28, 10:32
Have you tried reconverting to FLAC?

Ok, finally that worked!

I had to download a to-flac converter for mac. Converted the AIFF files to flac on my home mac, and then copied to my external drive. Scanned, and it all showed up, artwork and everything.

Ok, so what is my lesson going forward here? I still don't really understand why this would be necessary.

Do I have to plan to re-convert every digital album I download on to my work mac?

Is there any reason I might not have to do this with my home mac ? (My home mac is actually my previous work mac that I have as a spare computer...I can't imagine why one would be any more trouble to purchase music with than the other).

garym
2018-10-28, 10:36
It may just be that there was something odd about these particular downloaded files in terms of file format (that LMS didn't like). Have you downloaded files from different sources and they all exhibited the problem. Or is the problem limited to a set of files from one vendor?

Matt Hooper
2018-10-28, 15:30
Thanks very much for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it!

Update:

I bought another album from the same web site (showup records).

This time I bought it and downloaded it on to my home mac then transferred the new album to my external drive. Like the last album, it would not show up when scanned.
I had to batch convert from the downloaded AIFF format to FLAC on the mac, then put that version on to my external, then it showed up when scanned, properly tagged.

It's good to at least have a solution, but it's still frustrating to be stuck with a kludge for buying digital music.

garym
2018-10-28, 15:35
Thanks very much for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it!

Update:

I bought another album from the same web site (showup records).

This time I bought it and downloaded it on to my home mac then transferred the new album to my external drive. Like the last album, it would not show up when scanned.
I had to batch convert from the downloaded AIFF format to FLAC on the mac, then put that version on to my external, then it showed up when scanned, properly tagged.

It's good to at least have a solution, but it's still frustrating to be stuck with a kludge for buying digital music.

I am not familiar with the site where you bought the files, but I’m guessing there is something a bit odd about their file format. This “kludge” is not normally necessary for getting files to be recognized and play in LMS.

slartibartfast
2018-10-28, 15:52
I am not familiar with the site where you bought the files, but I’m guessing there is something a bit odd about their file format. This “kludge” is not normally necessary for getting files to be recognized and play in LMS.I just did a search for Showup Records and it seems to be selling downloads on Bandcamp. Albums download as a zip file

Matt Hooper
2018-10-28, 21:19
I'm very, very new to the world of buying digital music outside of the apple ecosystem. For most of my years since using a server, I've either ripped my CDs or downloaded music from apple, all via the itunes interface.
I wanted a dedicated system for streaming (hence the pi/logitech system), and to step out in the bold new world outside apple's offerings. Including hi-res downloads. So it was a bummer for my first purchases to not work easily. I'll try some HD downloads soon.

Mnyb
2018-10-28, 22:25
When you tried to use the original files you unzipped the downloaded folder ?

I use Bandcamp a lot and they always download as a zipped archive .

But if it’s a Bandcamp site just set it to download as flac directly , but just remeber to unzip the download .

Matt Hooper
2018-10-29, 07:24
When you tried to use the original files you unzipped the downloaded folder ?

I use Bandcamp a lot and they always download as a zipped archive .

But if it’s a Bandcamp site just set it to download as flac directly , but just remeber to unzip the download .

Yes I unzip the folders.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I tried downloading as flac (and of course unzipping that folder) and it didn't work. Looks like I still have to do my own conversion.

Matt Hooper
2018-10-29, 16:58
FWIW:

I had downloaded some HD res tracks from ProStudioMasters a while back on to my work mac. I just copied them on to my external music drive and they showed up fine when I re-scanned. That was nice!

d6jg
2018-10-30, 05:34
Glad it has been sorted

It is possible to re-encode broken FLACs to new FLACs (which should work) using dbPoweramp. There is a version for MAC -> https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

dbPoweramp will convert from one format to another on a batch basis and is probably one of the best CD rippers available as well.

Matt Hooper
2018-10-30, 12:39
Glad it has been sorted

It is possible to re-encode broken FLACs to new FLACs (which should work) using dbPoweramp. There is a version for MAC -> https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

dbPoweramp will convert from one format to another on a batch basis and is probably one of the best CD rippers available as well.

Ok, thanks for the tip.