PDA

View Full Version : SBR questions

JBSIMEONS-BIS
2018-10-04, 00:58
Hello Everybody

I have a squeezebox receiver which has been configured using UNAP (because the battery of controller is out….).
The server is running on a Synology.

I have 3 questions using my squeezebox:

1/ Do you know the Voltage output on the 2 RCA connections? ==> Is it 2V or 0.8V? I use the SBR as a pre-amp but encounter some saturation in the sound…..

2/ Every Morning, i need to reboot (unplug + replug the 5VDC power) my SBR because i can not see it on my network? Do you know why I need to do this? Do you have a solution to avoid to have to do this?
Here are the informatio of my SBR
Modèle platine : Squeezebox Receiver
Type platine : receiver
Micrologiciel : 77
Adresse IP platine : 192.168.1.12 ==> The IP adresse is given by my router.

3/ I would love to measure the response of "hifi" system using a software called REW (www dot roomeqwizard dot com). Is it possible to configure the SBR to be seen as a 'common sound card'. The purpose is to be able the send the white noise directly using the REW software.Any ideas?

Thanks to have readen!

JB

Paul Webster
2018-10-04, 01:39
Hello Everybody
Hello JB - some not very good answers to get things started ...

1/ Do you know the Voltage output on the 2 RCA connections? ==> Is it 2V or 0.8V? I use the SBR as a pre-amp but encounter some saturation in the sound…..

I don't know the answer to this one.

2/ Every Morning, i need to reboot (unplug + replug the 5VDC power) my SBR because i can not see it on my network? Do you know why I need to do this? Do you have a solution to avoid to have to do this?

Not a good answer coming ... you could use a timer plug to turn off the power at 02:00 and turn it on again at 06:00.
Not ideal - but automates the task and even saves you some electricity over night while someone comes up with a proper solution.

3/ I would love to measure the response of "hifi" system using a software called REW (www dot roomeqwizard dot com). Is it possible to configure the SBR to be seen as a 'common sound card'. The purpose is to be able the send the white noise directly using the REW software.Any ideas?

You could temporarily install LMS on a desktop / laptop machine and then use a plugin that takes the sound from the audio card and feeds it to LMS as a source.
See
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106609-Stream-What-You-Hear-(SWYH)-an-updated-alternative-to-WaveInput-for-Windows-users
probably similar for MAC if needed

bpa
2018-10-04, 01:50
AFAIK - the levels are intended for use as Phono input level similar to CD player output and not similar to a cartridge output which needs a pre-amp.

What do you mean by "see" - is it LMS does not show it as a player or the router does not shoiw as a connect device ?

Paul's suggestion is good but I think the SWYH uses MP3 compression. You would need a wavinput plugin but this can have delay (typical 0.5-2sec) which measuring s/w mightn't like or be confused. Is it not possible to record thre various noises as files and then play them ?

bpa
2018-10-04, 02:00
SBR lineout is 4.8v pp (about 2v rms) according to Sean Adams
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?42570-Squeezebox-Receiver-first-impressions&p=261791&viewfull=1#post261791

JBSIMEONS-BIS
2018-10-04, 07:00
Thanks for your replies!

Questions number 1 (Output level) ==> in order (+- 2 Vrms is what my friends measured this afternoon)
Question 3 (REW) ==> I will try both solutions and let you know

For Question 2 is still open....
So concerning the symptoms:
At the morning (so it means after a few hours - I would say more than 10...) I can not find the SBR
I can not find means : the SBR is not shown in Ipeng or my Iphone (I use the marvelous ShairTunes2 plugin to 'see' the SBR wiht my iphone)
The router (Belgacom) gives the IP adress to the SBR. I also configured the router in order to get a fixed IP adress.
What could possibly happen: during the night, I reboot the synology.... Maybe, the LMS software forget to call the SBR at that moment?
Another fact, always in the morning (when I do not see the SBR), I can see the SqueezeBox Radio of my son.

Is it a possibility to check if my SBR still have connectivity with my network? How could I do this?

The other alternative is to unplg/replug the power supply (could be easily done if I connect the powersupply to the amplifier) ==> Is it a risk for the SBR if I do it every time i listen music?

JBSIMEONS-BIS
2018-10-04, 07:02
SBR lineout is 4.8v pp (about 2v rms) according to Sean Adams
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?42570-Squeezebox-Receiver-first-impressions&p=261791&viewfull=1#post261791

Thanks for your replies!

Questions number 1 (Output level) ==> in order (+- 2 Vrms is what my friends measured this afternoon)

At the morning (so it means after a few hours - I would say more than 10...) I can not find the SBR
I can not find means : the SBR is not shown in Ipeng or my Iphone (I use the marvelous ShairTunes2 plugin to 'see' the SBR wiht my iphone)
The router (Belgacom) gives the IP adress to the SBR. I also configured the router in order to get a fixed IP adress.
What could possibly happen: during the night, I reboot the synology.... Maybe, the LMS software forget to call the SBR at that moment?
Another fact, always in the morning (when I do not see the SBR), I can see the SqueezeBox Radio of my son.

Is it a possibility to check if my SBR still have connectivity with my network? How could I do this?

The other alternative is to unplg/replug the power supply (could be easily done if I connect the powersupply to the amplifier) ==> Is it a risk for the SBR if I do it every time i listen music?

JBSIMEONS-BIS
2018-10-04, 07:05
thanks
Thanks for your replies!

At the morning (so it means after a few hours - I would say more than 10- the SBR was not used during that time..) I can not find the SBR

bpa
2018-10-04, 07:27
At the morning (so it means after a few hours - I would say more than 10- the SBR was not used during that time..) I can not find the SBR

If player is still connected to network then you should be able to "ping" it.
Get IP adress LMS WebUI Setting/Information tab, then try pinging the player from the LMS server and also from a different PC/host on the network.
Compare IP address of player from LMS WebUI Setting/Information tab against IP address that router knows the SBR actually has (use mac address of SBR to identify)
If IP address for SBR according to router is different to LMS idea - check SBR is alive by pinging it IP address given by router

Do you use DHCP for IP address of LMS server and player ?
If LMS IP address is not static and lease is less than 24h then it is possible that new IP addresses has been assigned to LMS server and so player can't find it until you power up/down

JBSIMEONS-BIS
2018-10-04, 08:51
i'll do that tomorrow!

JBSIMEONS-BIS
2018-10-05, 07:48
hello good afternoon

Here is what happened this morning
The SBR was not shown in the LMS (I checked it in the LMS software/parameters).
I did a ping ==> the address 192.168.1.12 (this is the IP of the SBR) gave me an answer.
I also saw that another SBR has a similar name (only some uppercase were different in the 2 'names' of the SBR) in the connection list of my modem ==> Maybe is it the reason? I deleted this item .... we will see tomorrow.

Who knows how does the LMS software to know who is connected to the network? Does he do like a ping method asking who is there and if they are Logitech materials?
Does it work on the other way? Is it the logitech material who ask to be connected to the LMS software?
Regards to all
JB

bpa
2018-10-05, 08:39
hello good afternoon

Here is what happened this morning
The SBR was not shown in the LMS (I checked it in the LMS software/parameters).
I did a ping ==> the address 192.168.1.12 (this is the IP of the SBR) gave me an answer.
OK this measn the SBR has lost the LMS.

Do you use DHCP for LMS server and player ?
Please answer question about DHCP.

I also saw that another SBR has a similar name (only some uppercase were different in the 2 'names' of the SBR) in the connection list of my modem ==> Maybe is it the reason? I deleted this item .... we will see tomorrow.
I think the name that appear on router will have come form LMS WebUI Setting/Player/Basic Settings. If you change the name on LMS - then it will change on modem and so may appear twice.

Who knows how does the LMS software to know who is connected to the network? Does he do like a ping method asking who is there and if they are Logitech materials?
Does it work on the other way? Is it the logitech material who ask to be connected to the LMS software?

When a player powers up - it broadcast a message asking about all available LMS. Normally device remembers LMS name but SBR is different. With SBR - UDAP is used to tell it which LMS to choose (I can't remember usually by name but possibly by IP address).
If LMS changes IP address (e.g. DHCP lease expires) - then LMS and SBR will no longer talk. SBR will try to talk to old LMS IP address.

So important question - do you use DHCP for LMS sever ip address ? does LMS server IP address change ? can you make LMS server IP address static ?

Mnyb
2018-10-05, 22:28
Afaik LMS sends out some UDP broadcast on port 3483 . So this port should also be open in the firewall if you have one .

Sometimes both OS ( Windows ) and routers can be setup not to allow UDP broadcast/forwarding .

I concur with the recommendations to use a fixed or static IP for the LMS server , especially with older players .
It has the added benefit of possible workaround when the server discovery does not work as the squeezebox players has the option to simply add the server IP . How is a bit different depending on player model .
SBR if you have the controller find the add remote server option . Otherwise you can specify server IP with the net udap tool.

JBSIMEONS-BIS
2018-11-10, 03:50
Afaik LMS sends out some UDP broadcast on port 3483 . So this port should also be open in the firewall if you have one .

Sometimes both OS ( Windows ) and routers can be setup not to allow UDP broadcast/forwarding .

I concur with the recommendations to use a fixed or static IP for the LMS server , especially with older players .
It has the added benefit of possible workaround when the server discovery does not work as the squeezebox players has the option to simply add the server IP . How is a bit different depending on player model .
SBR if you have the controller find the add remote server option . Otherwise you can specify server IP with the net udap tool.

I come to you … :-)

i started up my second SBR … still the same 'issue' ==> I need to restart my 2 SBR every Morning (turn off- turn on).
I do not know I should look...
the ip adress are given by my 'proximus' router ==> IP adresse are static

I did a ping to these IP (before my turn off-on method) ==> cmd ==> ping 192.168.1.15 ==> the SBR answered! Good the SBR is alive

I started the marvelous UDAP soft ==> My sbr is there waiting for configuration….

here is what I have:
bridging: 0
hostname: Squeezebox SALON
interface: 1
lan_gateway: 192.168.1.1
lan_ip_mode: 1
lan_network_address: 192.168.1.15
lan_subnet_mask: 255.255.255.0
primary_dns: 192.168.1.1
secondary_dns: 0.0.0.0
server_address: 192.1.168.1.55
squeezecenter_name:

wireless_channel: 6
wireless_keylen:0
wireless_mode: 0
wireless_region_id: 4
wireless_wep_key_0:
wireless_wep_key_1:
wireless_wep_key_2:
wireless_wep_key_3:
wireless_wep_on: 0
wireless_wpa_cipher: 3
wireless_wpa_on: 0
wireless_wpa_mode: 1
wireless_wpa_psk:

Here are the informations of my LMS

Logitech Media Server Version : 7.9.1 - 1504317335 @ Mon Sep 4 22:13:00 UTC 2017
Nom d'hôte : DS1512
Adresse IP du serveur : 192.168.1.55
Port HTTP du serveur : 9002
Système d'exploitation : Synology DiskStation - FR - utf8
Architecture de la plate-forme : x86_64-linux
Version de Perl : 5.24.0 - x86_64-linux
Audio::Scan : 0.95
Version de la base de données : DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Platines identifiées : 2

==> Do I need to set up my sbr on a different way?
==> Do I need to set up the Logitech MEdia server on a different way?

Regards

JB

JBSIMEONS-BIS
2018-11-10, 04:16

Hello
I come back…

Do I need to specify the IP adress in the SBR AND in the router?
Today my router (Proximus router) gives the IP adress to the SBR ==> This ip adress is static
The same router also gives the ip to the LMS server==> this IP adress is also static