PDA

View Full Version : Server disconnections - help needed ;-)

didjean
2018-09-22, 01:43
I use Max2Play on a Raspberry Pi 3 to host my LMS to feed several Squeezes. Very happy with the setup.

All was running fine for a couple of month, but recently I am experiencing more and more server "disconnections" especially in the morning after wakeup alarms went on (not sure it's related).

Max2Play still works, but it's the server that becomes unresponsive. I need to manually Kill LMS and restart it.

Please, could someone help me understand my logs... Looking at them I see a couple of Errors and Warnings that I don't necessarily understand but might be the root cause:

[18-09-17 20:41:54.3973] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1252) Warning: [20:41:54.3968] Use of uninitialized value $artistName in concatenation (.) or string at /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/SongLyrics/Modules/ChartLyrics.pm line 68.
[18-09-17 20:41:54.3980] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1252) Warning: [20:41:54.3976] Use of uninitialized value $trackTitle in concatenation (.) or string at /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/SongLyrics/Modules/ChartLyrics.pm line 68.
[18-09-18 07:20:00.5213] Slim::Display::Display::string (888) Error: missing string HTTP/1.1 410
[18-09-18 07:20:00.5225] Slim::Display::Display::string (888) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Display/Display.pm line 888)
frame 1: Slim::Display::Display::string (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Player.pm line 193)
frame 2: Slim::Player::Player::string (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/StreamingController.pm line 787)
frame 3: Slim::Player::StreamingController::_playersMessage (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/StreamingController.pm line 768)
frame 4: Slim::Player::StreamingController::_errorOpening (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/StreamingController.pm line 2248)
frame 5: Slim::Player::StreamingController::playerStreaming Failed (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm line 832)
frame 6: Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::failedDirectStream (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm line 532)
frame 7: Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::directHeaders (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 561)
frame 8: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::_http_response_handle r (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 402)
frame 9: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::client_readable (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 123)
frame 10: (eval) (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 119)
frame 11: Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 168)
frame 12: (eval) (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 168)
frame 13: Slim::Networking::IO::Select::loop (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver line 727)
frame 14: main::idle (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver line 677)
frame 15: main::main (/usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver line 1213)

Just want to check if I could resolve this before having to re-install everything... :-)

Many thanks already for your help!

bpa
2018-09-22, 02:06
You can ignore the warnings.

The other message about missing string - while that is a "worry" - the trigger was a network issue and that fits in with LMS hanging. When it next occur I'd do check on network and see if all is working - from MAx2play system try accessing mysqueezebox.com

didjean
2018-09-22, 04:18
You can ignore the warnings.

The other message about missing string - while that is a "worry" - the trigger was a network issue and that fits in with LMS hanging. When it next occur I'd do check on network and see if all is working - from MAx2play system try accessing mysqueezebox.com

Thanks very much for your help!
I normally have disabled all interactions with mysqueezebox.com --> Have disabled services from www.mysqueezebox.com and render thumbnail images locally.
Speaking of networking, I have changed router this week. my issue happened before with the old one, and it happens now with the new one.

bpa
2018-09-22, 04:55
Thanks very much for your help!
I normally have disabled all interactions with mysqueezebox.com --> Have disabled services from www.mysqueezebox.com and render thumbnail images locally.
Speaking of networking, I have changed router this week. my issue happened before with the old one, and it happens now with the new one.

The mysqueezebox.com was suggestion of a service to test not a requirement.

I don'tr know max2play details so I don;t knwo what tools are available for testing / disgnostic. If the issue happened with old & new router then the problem is unlikley to be the router.

If the Pi is using wireless then look at wireless setup / quiality of signal / competing networks etc.

edit:

No details of which mode Pi you are using.

With 13 devices - if a few are sycned and/or playing flac/wav then you may have network capacity problems (e.g. Pi Model B V1) - early Pi has Ethernet network i/f shared USB so already limited - if there is a HDD on USB as well could be straining system - look at the bigger picture.

DJanGo
2018-09-22, 05:41
@bpa:

I use Max2Play on a Raspberry Pi 3 to host my LMS to feed several Squeezes.

are you using wlan?

How did you disable mysqb?
With SLIMOPTIONS="--nomysqueezebox --noimage --novideo" in the configfile?

didjean
2018-09-22, 05:46
The mysqueezebox.com was suggestion of a service to test not a requirement.

I don'tr know max2play details so I don;t knwo what tools are available for testing / disgnostic. If the issue happened with old & new router then the problem is unlikley to be the router.

If the Pi is using wireless then look at wireless setup / quiality of signal / competing networks etc.

edit:

No details of which mode Pi you are using.

With 13 devices - if a few are sycned and/or playing flac/wav then you may have network capacity problems (e.g. Pi Model B V1) - early Pi has Ethernet network i/f shared USB so already limited - if there is a HDD on USB as well could be straining system - look at the bigger picture.

Pi is the Pi3, connected Ethernet + USB drive. And 2 alarms are using Qobuz streams, both at the same time. Will look at that. Thanks very much!

didjean
2018-09-22, 07:09
@bpa:

are you using wlan?

How did you disable mysqb?
With SLIMOPTIONS="--nomysqueezebox --noimage --novideo" in the configfile?

Using lan. Option to disable is at the level of Max2Play. Not in theconfigfile. Should I?

bpa
2018-09-22, 07:34
Using lan. Option to disable is at the level of Max2Play. Not in theconfigfile. Should I?

mysqb is irrelevant - it is not causing the problem - I think network load could be causing the problem.

What are you playing ?
How many player are playing ?
Are players synced ?
Are stream being transcoded (e.gf. AAC to SB2/3, Boom) ?
Are you playing WAV or Flac file ?
Do you have a HDD on max2play ?
etc.
Think about how the system is being used.

bpa
2018-09-22, 08:30
Just checking the original errors - they relate to a plugin SongLyrics which AFAICT is dead and no logner supported - this may be causing the network hangs. I suggest consider removing the SongLyrics plugin.
see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98161-Song-Lyrics-plugin-will-soon-stop-working-due-to-musixmatch-changes

didjean
2018-09-22, 10:56
Just checking the original errors - they relate to a plugin SongLyrics which AFAICT is dead and no logner supported - this may be causing the network hangs. I suggest consider removing the SongLyrics plugin.
see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98161-Song-Lyrics-plugin-will-soon-stop-working-due-to-musixmatch-changes

I read about that but using iPeng and like the lyrics option... Should try indeed...

mherger
2018-09-23, 21:42
> I read about that but using iPeng and like the lyrics option... Should
> try indeed...

The Music and Artist Information plugin does provide lyrics, too. And
it's still being maintained.

--

Michael

didjean
2018-09-24, 05:32
> I read about that but using iPeng and like the lyrics option... Should
> try indeed...

The Music and Artist Information plugin does provide lyrics, too. And
it's still being maintained.

--

Michael

Oops I didn't get that.... That's now clear! I'll disable SongLyrics asap has I have both plugins :-)

Related to the error logs:

[18-09-18 07:20:00.5213] Slim:isplay:isplay::string (888) Error: missing string HTTP/1.1 410
[18-09-18 07:20:00.5225] Slim:isplay:isplay::string (888) Backtrace:

It mainly comes from using the Qobuz plugin. It happens when I press play on a radio that is on stand by mode/off to re-activate a stream that was selected. I get that http error on the player screen and in logs.

d6jg
2018-09-25, 03:25
I found this sort of limitation with LMS on a Pi. If you have a lot of players and/or running in syc then I found that I would frequently get network interruptions. It manifested itself mainly on an SB3 that would flash constantly telling me it couldn't find the server. There was no wi-fi involved and my wired network uses business grade components. Only LMS & Players showed any issue. For this reason I switched my main LMS back to an HP Microserver. I don't get such errors any more.

I do still use a Pi as LMS and Player at a remote location with no issues. I am pretty sure it is a limitation of the Pi LAN hardware.

bpa
2018-09-25, 09:29
Oops I didn't get that.... That's now clear! I'll disable SongLyrics asap has I have both plugins :-)

Related to the error logs:

[18-09-18 07:20:00.5213] Slim:isplay:isplay::string (888) Error: missing string HTTP/1.1 410
[18-09-18 07:20:00.5225] Slim:isplay:isplay::string (888) Backtrace:

It mainly comes from using the Qobuz plugin. It happens when I press play on a radio that is on stand by mode/off to re-activate a stream that was selected. I get that http error on the player screen and in logs.

HTTP error code 410 means the destination has gone (unlike 404 which is unknown) !! It is a reply from the destination http handler so could this be a bug Qobuz plugin. I'd enable logging plugin.qobuz to INFO and see if anyhting else turns up before tthat message. Don't known about Qobuz, but some streamign web services, URLs are time limited and if you do not make a request within a specified time the URL is "gone"