PDA

View Full Version : BBCiplayer play it again list shows 404

Pages : [1] 2

ericj
2018-09-12, 10:16
As of this morning, two different lms servers show an error
There was an error loading the remote feed for : (404 Not Found)
whenever I look for an older broadcast. Listen Live (non-UK) works fine. I try logging this evening when I have more time, but wondered if I was the only person with the problem...
Thanks so much in advance.
Eric

BBCiPlayer version 1.5.4.5

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1524841547 @ Fri Apr 27 17:17:14 CEST 2018
Hostname: Observatory
Server IP Address: 192.168..x.xxx
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux
Perl Version: 5.24.1 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
Audio::Scan: 0.95
IO::Socket::SSL: 2.044
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 2

Man in a van
2018-09-12, 10:20
What are you trying to play?

SuffolkPunch
2018-09-12, 10:24
I'm seeing the same message for non-live streaming of BBC radio programmes:

There was an error loading the remote feed for : (404 Not Found)
And BBC live streams work ok.

Everything worked fine yesterday, and I haven't made any changes to my set-up since then.

My LMS system:
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 running in Windows 7
BBC iPlayer v 1.5.3

slartibartfast
2018-09-12, 10:39
What are you trying to play?I see no items if I try to play any "listen again" programs. BBC iPlayer Extras seems OK.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Weystoner
2018-09-12, 10:58
Same problem here - 404 not found message on iPlayer Listen Again. Looking at my plugins I see a message saying "bpa's BBCiPlayer 1.4.10 is in sunset support - please upgrade to V1.5.* using betarelease-repo.xml". I seem to be using a V1.5.4 test release. Could this be the problem and, if so, how do I get the beta release? Many thanks for any help on this.

moletteuk
2018-09-12, 11:23
Same here.
Running LMS 7.7.3 and BBC Iplayer 1.5.2

MDE
2018-09-12, 11:33
Same problem here - live is OK, but not Listen Again
"There was an error loading the remote feed for : (404 Not Found)"
(LMS 7.9.1)

castalla
2018-09-12, 11:48
Same here

harrys
2018-09-12, 14:05
Same here

same here too :(

Man in a van
2018-09-12, 14:18
Listen again working on Local BBC Stations here, using v1.5.4.5

Man in a van
2018-09-12, 14:28
Switched to v1.5.3 and same scene. local BBC stations listen again OK, main stations "404"

slartibartfast
2018-09-12, 14:45
Listen again working on Local BBC Stations here, using v1.5.4.5Strangely true.

Paul Webster
2018-09-12, 18:59
Looks like BBC has changed something.
Example from BBC Radio 4 FM
BBC iPlayer add-on looking for http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/radio4.xml ... but it is not there.
Not available via HTTPS either.

harrys
2018-09-12, 20:48
Listen again working on Local BBC Stations here, using v1.5.4.5

still getting the 404 ??

[18-09-13 04:39:03.3046] main::init (387) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.9.2, 1533559127, Mon Aug 6 15:08:03 WEDT 2018) perl 5.014001 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
[18-09-13 04:41:11.6714] Slim::Formats::XML::gotErrorViaHTTP (339) Error: getting http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/radio4.xml
404 Not Found
[18-09-13 04:41:50.8185] Slim::Formats::XML::gotErrorViaHTTP (339) Error: getting http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/worldservice.xml
404 Not Found

slartibartfast
2018-09-12, 23:59
still getting the 404 ??

[18-09-13 04:39:03.3046] main::init (387) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.9.2, 1533559127, Mon Aug 6 15:08:03 WEDT 2018) perl 5.014001 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
[18-09-13 04:41:11.6714] Slim::Formats::XML::gotErrorViaHTTP (339) Error: getting http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/radio4.xml
404 Not Found
[18-09-13 04:41:50.8185] Slim::Formats::XML::gotErrorViaHTTP (339) Error: getting http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/worldservice.xml
404 Not FoundLOCAL stations are under BBC local.

harrys
2018-09-13, 00:18
LOCAL stations are under BBC local.

hi, thats the error coming up when I click on say....

bbc iplayer > bbc rdio 4 fm

normally comes up with "today" and the previous days etc...

(not local stations)

slartibartfast
2018-09-13, 00:35
hi, thats the error coming up when I click on say....

bbc iplayer > bbc rdio 4 fm

normally comes up with "today" and the previous days etc...

(not local stations)Yes but the post you quoted said local stations work not national stations.

bpa
2018-09-13, 01:44
The BBC URLs which provides the feed of last 7 days of programmes sorted by scheduled seem to be dead - they return a 404 from BBC. The plugin can do nothing about this. Unlike Triode I have no contact within the BBC to get status or explanation. The BBC only likes talking to a company or an organisation not individuals. Live station are not affected as they do not use the feeds.

The faulty URLs are all similar to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/radio3.xml

These AOD (aka Audio On Demand) URLs were provided for the use of 3rd party equipment vendors.

This may be a temporary hiccough - in the past it is usually only the content has disappeared. The feed for the URLs used by maintained by a 3rd party. The hope is that when customers of the 3d party venors complain - it will be fed back into BBC

Weystoner
2018-09-13, 02:02
Many thanks for the explanation bpa; at least that will stop me fiddling with code, which always ends in disaster. Let's hope it gets sorted soon or I'll have to rearrange my life around the live feed schedules- I'm missing my Monday evening helping of The News Quiz already!

bpa
2018-09-13, 02:20
Many thanks for the explanation bpa; at least that will stop me fiddling with code, which always ends in disaster. Let's hope it gets sorted soon or I'll have to rearrange my life around the live feed schedules- I'm missing my Monday evening helping of The News Quiz already!

Latest News Quiz Extra is available via the BBCiPlayerExtra

either
* BBCiPlayerExtra > A-Z - Radio 4 and 4xtra only > N programs > News Quiz Extra
* BBCiPlayerExtra > Latest by Category > Latest Comedy > Page 3 - Latest Comedy

The "Latest Comedy" is a bit hit and miss as which page it appears on change day by day.

The Extar plugin uses a dfferent feed for prograssm and has 30 days of programs - so News Quiz Extra currently has Eps 1 & 2 available

SuffolkPunch
2018-09-13, 02:55
This may be a temporary hiccough - in the past it is usually only the content has disappeared.

Thanks bpa. Let's hope for a quick cure for the hiccoughs!

Meanwhile, there's always the official 'BBC iPlayer Radio' app (Android) to feed one's listen-again habit. Or to download and keep programmes, there's get_iplayer ( https://www.squarepenguin.co.uk/ ).

Weystoner
2018-09-13, 03:31
Latest News Quiz Extra is available via the BBCiPlayerExtra

Thanks for the heads-up, but unfortunately I lost iPlayer Extra some time ago when I managed to make the live streams work (probably unrelated incidents) and I haven't had the patience to try reinstating it. I have a few hours spare this afternoon; I'll have a bash.

harrys
2018-09-13, 03:48
Yes but the post you quoted said local stations work not national stations.

sorry my mistake

harrys
2018-09-13, 03:58
With the current breaking of the app, was thinking of a more robust future proof (albeit unelegant) solution...

1) Have an cheap rooted android tab, with vnc server installed next to my LMS PC (running windows 7 pro)

2) Connect a audio lead from the analogue out of the andoid tab to the line in on my LMS PC

3) Install/configure the "WAV Input" plugin

4) Install iplayer radio app on the android tab, select the "WAV input" on the LMS and essentially remote control the radio app on the andoid using vnc viewer to queue/play the radio programs to my various raspberry pi squeezelite players

Possible?

Weystoner
2018-09-13, 04:02
Thanks for the heads-up, but unfortunately I lost iPlayer Extra some time ago when I managed to make the live streams work (probably unrelated incidents) and I haven't had the patience to try reinstating it. I have a few hours spare this afternoon; I'll have a bash.

Well, blow me down with a feather, it's back, and without me doing anything! It must have snuck in while my back was turned. And with two episodes of News Quiz Extra available I'm good to go, thanks bpa.

slartibartfast
2018-09-13, 04:02
With the current breaking of the app, was thinking of a more robust future proof (albeit unelegant) solution...

1) Have an cheap rooted android tab, with vnc server installed next to my LMS PC (running windows 7 pro)

2) Connect a audio lead from the analogue out of the andoid tab to the line in on my LMS PC

4) Install iplayer radio app on the android tab, select the "WAV input" on the LMS and essentially remote control the radio app on the andoid using vnc viewer to queue/play the radio programs to my various raspberry pi squeezelite players

Possible?Don't forget that BBC iPlayer Extra still works.

bpa
2018-09-13, 04:20

If you want help - give version of LMS and plugin as well as OS, Plugin "format preference" setting and player type.

bpa
2018-09-13, 04:22

Just to prove there are vendors with customers who have used LMS and Iplayer plugin who will contact BBC see - http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/systemline-updates-integrated-bbc-iplayer-for-mpeg-dash.aspx

Possible?

Possible but why not cast audio and use the LMS Castbridge plugin. No wires.

edit:

Ignore the cast suggestion it doesn't work - LMS can cast to a googlecast but phone/tab cannot cast to LMS. An airplay based solution will work without wires - not sure about airplay on Android.

Sb42
2018-09-13, 04:38

Also available as a Podcast which the LMS can manage.

See here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pc9pj/episodes/downloads

ericj
2018-09-13, 04:58
BPA:
I should have started by thanking you for all the selfless hours you spend. Not everyone knows that this is not an official logitech joint, and iplayer support is community supported, as is all of the software is for the most part.
I do hope this will be resolved with a quick reboot on the BEEB side, but in case it is helpful, I'll repeat the info from my first post, and add some info.

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1524841547 @ Fri Apr 27 17:17:14 CEST 2018
Hostname: Carter
Server IP Address: 192.168.x.xxx
Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux
Perl Version: 5.20.2 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
IO::Socket::SSL: 2.002
Total Players Recognized: 7
[Updated to latest nightly, no change]

Plugin version 1.5.4.5 but it seems to be an issue with others as well....

My On Demand Peferences are Dash>HLS>MP3>FlashACC

I have the bitrate set for On Demabnd to be Highest DASH

Problem shows does not depend on devices or interface software...I have tried SB3, SqueezePlay, and Max2Play on Pi as well as Picoreplayer

Because it may be relevant, my opml is http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/default-menu.opml

My test case is On Demand Radio 3, but many other On Demand links show the same behavior.

Iplayer extras seem to function, just hard to navigate, particularly for world service content.

And finally, the iplayer web interface seems to function well for On Demand....

Please let me know if any logs would be use, and again, much thanks..
Eric

moletteuk
2018-09-13, 05:02
Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of an updated Iplayer Extras, please?

I have v2.0.0 which stopped working at the last lot of BBC changes around 18 months ago.

bpa
2018-09-13, 05:46
Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of an updated Iplayer Extras, please?

I have v2.0.0 which stopped working at the last lot of BBC changes around 18 months ago.

V2.0 is the latest but it requires a working BBCiPlayer which should be V1.5.*

What do you means stopped working ? - no menus, no programs listed within menus, program not playing if requested but images appear on WebUI/Touch, program not playing if requested & no images appear on WebUI/Touch, something else ?

Problems can only be solved with information.

Man in a van
2018-09-13, 05:55
Well, blow me down with a feather, it's back, and without me doing anything! It must have snuck in while my back was turned. And with two episodes of News Quiz Extra available I'm good to go, thanks bpa.

You can listen to NQE and a lot of other stuff from Podcasts

Ronnie

moletteuk
2018-09-13, 06:14
Sorry bpa, I thought I had an old version that didn't work for anyone.

I have Iplayer Extras v2.0.0 I have Iplayer v1.5.2 and LMS 7.7.3. I think the settings for both Iplayers are default.

When I try to use Iplayer Extras I can choose a channel and it gives me the alphabetical listing, but when I click on a letter instead of giving me a list of programmes it says "There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Redirection limit exceeded)"

LMS is running on ancient Nas4free and same error on squeezebox touch and boom.

Thanks

harrys
2018-09-13, 06:25
Just to prove there are vendors with customers who have used LMS and Iplayer plugin who will contact BBC see - http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/systemline-updates-integrated-bbc-iplayer-for-mpeg-dash.aspx

Possible but why not cast audio and use the LMS Castbridge plugin. No wires.

edit:

Ignore the cast suggestion it doesn't work - LMS can cast to a googlecast but phone/tab cannot cast to LMS. An airplay based solution will work without wires - not sure about airplay on Android.

thanks bpa, good to know there are commercial developers using the system.

its come back to life now, didnt realise how much i missed it when it was down !!

I'd like a temp backup solution, do you think the use of the wav input plugin will work? I might give it a go, see if its a viable temp backup .....

really really appreciate the effort you put into this, BIG thanks

PS edit ... my error ... still down :(

Sb42
2018-09-13, 06:28

I'm outside of the UK - not seeing the return of the play it again lists yet.

bpa
2018-09-13, 06:28
thanks bpa, good to know there are commercial developers using the system.

its come back to life now, didnt realise how much i missed it when it was down !!

I'd like a temp backup solution, do you think the use of the wav input plugin will work? I might give it a go, see if its a viable temp backup .....

really really appreciate the effort you put into this, BIG thanks
The wav input will work but with a bit of thought there are better solution wthout cables such as using a browser on LMS PC and redirect audio from browser into LMS - a variation of Wav input but no wires and no additional h/w - also PC browser BBC window could be accessed remotely from a phone/tablet.

kidstypike
2018-09-13, 06:31
I'm outside of the UK - not seeing the return of the play it again lists yet.

I think he was referring to BBC iPlayer Extra, which he said was missing from his plugins, but had now reappeared.

Weystoner
2018-09-13, 09:08
If you want help - give version of LMS and plugin as well as OS, Plugin "format preference" setting and player type.

Thanks for the offer of help, but I'm up and running now.

bpa
2018-09-13, 09:21
I'd like a temp backup solution, do you think the use of the wav input plugin will work? I might give it a go, see if its a viable temp backup ....
I'll look into a way of making it easier to play podcast version of programs. AFAICT At the moment it is a bit messy with user having to transfer URLs from browser to LMS.

Man in a van
2018-09-13, 09:30
I'll look into a way of making it easier to play podcast version of programs. AFAICT At the moment it is a bit messy with user having to transfer URLs from browser to LMS.

Well it is a bit of a faf, but all the BBC podcasts (in the UK, at least) live under one url

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2008/04/opml_feed_of_podcasts.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/04/podcast_opml_change.html

Well according to those two links, I'm well out of date :rolleyes:

bpa
2018-09-13, 10:06
Well it is a bit of a faf, but all the BBC podcasts (in the UK, at least) live under one url

I haven't played around with podcasts as program availability used to be a bit uneven - it has improved a lot now as user want to have programs offline on their phones/ tablets.

That's a good URL but it is still a lot of hierarchy - I was think more schedule based.
The list of Podcast may also allow me to find program ID which can be used to get DASH and other versions - so it may be useful as a backup.

Krisbee
2018-09-13, 12:31
Sorry bpa, I thought I had an old version that didn't work for anyone.

I have Iplayer Extras v2.0.0 I have Iplayer v1.5.2 and LMS 7.7.3. I think the settings for both Iplayers are default.

When I try to use Iplayer Extras I can choose a channel and it gives me the alphabetical listing, but when I click on a letter instead of giving me a list of programmes it says "There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Redirection limit exceeded)"

LMS is running on ancient Nas4free and same error on squeezebox touch and boom.

Thanks

@moletteuk didn't get a reply, but I'm in the same boat re: non working "BBC IPlayer Extras v2.0.0" plugin which shows error "There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Redirection limit exceeded)" when trying to select from listing. Plus my BBC IPlayer v1.5.4.5 plugin is returning the "404" error messages that everyone else has.

I haven't needed to touch LMS for a long time, the version details are:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1451370756 @ Tue Dec 29 06:41:59 UTC 2015
Hostname: sweep.local.com
Server IP Address: 127.0.0.1
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.20.3 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
Total Players Recognized: 1

On demand Stream Preference is set to DASH > HLS > MP£ > FlashAAC

Live BBC Radio is OK.

Any ideas why my IPlayer Extras isn't working?

bpa
2018-09-13, 13:20
@moletteuk didn't get a reply, but I'm in the same boat re: non working "BBC IPlayer Extras v2.0.0" plugin which shows error "There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Redirection limit exceeded)" when trying to select from listing. Plus my BBC IPlayer v1.5.4.5 plugin is returning the "404" error messages that everyone else has.

Missed moletteuk reply in between the flurry of messages.

OK - the error message is odd - it is very beginning where plugin tres to get info from BBC. The plugin has just done a normal HTTP request from BBC but it hasn't completed OK.

As a test - from a browser running on the same system as LMS - can you open this URL in a web page http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/x/player.json
It should return in JSON all the programs beginning with X on (only one Xtreme Everest on R4)

This is the URL that is sent to BBC when you request a list of program beginning with X. So it teste whether program happens with browser.

Krisbee
2018-09-13, 13:29
Missed moletteuk reply in between the flurry of messages.

OK - the error message is odd - it is very beginning where plugin tres to get info from BBC. The plugin has just done a normal HTTP request from BBC but it hasn't completed OK.

As a test - from a browser running on the same system as LMS - can you open this URL in a web page http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/x/player.json
It should return in JSON all the programs beginning with X on (only one Xtreme Everest on R4)

This is the URL that is sent to BBC when you request a list of program beginning with X. So it teste whether program happens with browser.

Bpa, thanks for the reply. This what that URL returns in chromium:

{"atoz":{"slice":"player","search":"x","letters":["a","b","c","d","e","f","g","h","i","j","k","l","m","n","o","p","q","r","s","t","u","v","w","x","y","z","@"],"page":null,"total":null,"offset":null,"tleo_titles":[{"title":"Xtreme Everest","letter":"x","programme":{"type":"brand","pid":"b007tqd6","title":"Xtreme Everest","short_synopsis":"Graham Easton follows volunteers on Mount Everest as they take part in medical research","image":{"pid":"p04drxhs"},"position":null,"expected_child_count":null,"first_broadcast_date":"2007-07-25T21:00:00+01:00","is_available":true,"ownership":{"service":{"type":"radio","id":"bbc_radio_four","key":"radio4","title":"BBC Radio 4"}}}}]}}

Is that correct?

EDIT: Looks like this could simply be a LMS version problem. Running a later LMS in a debian VM shows BBC IPlayer Extras to be working. I'll wait before rebuliding my current LMS as it's did that ages ago to avoid clashes with perl versions on my desktop. Perhaps the BBC Iplayer problem will resolve itself in a few days.

bpa
2018-09-13, 14:48
Is that correct?
Thisis OK.

EDIT: Looks like this could simply be a LMS version problem. Running a later LMS in a debian VM shows BBC IPlayer Extras to be working. I'll wait before rebuliding my current LMS as it's did that ages ago to avoid clashes with perl versions on my desktop. Perhaps the BBC Iplayer problem will resolve itself in a few days.
Good that another LMS is working for you.

It os possible a bad response has been stored in a LMS cache and each time you try Extra the cache entry is being used and expiry timer reset. You could try stopping LMS and deleting the cache.db in Cache and then restart LMS. On the other hand it could be some LMS bug that was fixed as there changes in 7.9.0 minor builds handling to handle https.

harrys
2018-09-14, 01:27
The wav input will work but with a bit of thought there are better solution wthout cables such as using a browser on LMS PC and redirect audio from browser into LMS - a variation of Wav input but no wires and no additional h/w - also PC browser BBC window could be accessed remotely from a phone/tablet.

Doing that i think is above my knowledge level :)

i think needs must as I'm still down and getting the 404, i might give the android tab a go. (tried restarting and deleting cache.db)

PS My system....

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1536640725 @ Tue Sep 11 07:08:27 WEDT 2018
Operating system: Windows 7 - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 586
Perl Version: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
IO::Socket::SSL: 2.024
Total Players Recognized: 4

FLACforever
2018-09-14, 01:31
I noticed the same problem as of today (14/9).

I didn't have the problem the last time I used it - approximately 11/9 or 12/9.

I didn't change anything on my PC in that time - but my PC did reboot ( I assumed because of a Windows update).

My current setup is:
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1522157629 @ Fri Mar 30 12:17:59 WEDT 2018
Hostname: OfficePC
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.78
Operating system: Windows 10 - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 8664
Total Players Recognized: 3

I am using BBC iPlayer (v1.5.3) and have been for ages.

What is the best way to fix the problem? I am happy to try out some initial steps, if it will help to diagnose what went wrong.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Podcasts (v2.0) and BBC iPlayer Extras (v2.0.0) are working fine. I have done nothing to try and fix these or anything else.

bpa
2018-09-14, 01:44
I noticed the same problem as of today (14/9).

I didn't have the problem the last time I used it - approximately 11/9 or 12/9.

I didn't change anything on my PC in that time - but my PC did reboot ( I assumed because of a Windows update).

My current setup is:
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1522157629 @ Fri Mar 30 12:17:59 WEDT 2018
Hostname: OfficePC
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.78
Operating system: Windows 10 - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 8664
Total Players Recognized: 3

What is the best way to fix the problem? I am happy to try out some initial steps, if it will help to diagnose what went wrong.

Thanks in advance!

The 404 problem is caused by BBC removing a feed which provides the data for "Listen Again". This could be deliberate and permant or an accident but only the BBC can fix this.

The BBCiPlayerExtra plugin still works (at least for most users) and provides access to program by name not by schedule.
Another alternative woudl be to use the BBC podcast URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml but it is not as complete or easy to find programs.

FLACforever
2018-09-14, 01:56
The 404 problem is caused by BBC removing a feed which provides the data for "Listen Again". This could be deliberate and permant or an accident but only the BBC can fix this.

The BBCiPlayerExtra plugin still works (at least for most users) and provides access to program by name not by schedule.
Another alternative woudl be to use the BBC podcast URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml but it is not as complete or easy to find programs.

@bpa - Many thanks for the explanation and the 2 workarounds you suggest. Is there a way to tag/remember this thread so I will get alerted when people post, and hopefully someone will post "it's working again" ;)

Man in a van
2018-09-14, 02:17
@ Flacforever

When logged in:

Under My Account > General Settings > Messaging & Notification > Default Thread Subscription Mode

ronnie

bpa
2018-09-14, 02:18
@bpa - Many thanks for the explanation and the 2 workarounds you suggest. Is there a way to tag/remember this thread so I will get alerted when people post, and hopefully someone will post "it's working again" ;)

If BBC fixes it - it will either return without any changes at guess within a week. If I have to update the plugin - an update notification will be shown on plugins tab.

IIRC There is a way to mark a thread but I don't know offhand.

bpa
2018-09-14, 02:22

Just checking this podcast URL whether it is altered for UK vs non UK users.

There is a UK only Radio 4 podcast "Natural Histories Orchid" ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02s8ykn/episodes/downloads ) which doesn't appear for me (non-UK) using the bbc_podcast_opml.opml

Does this UK only podcast appear for UK users in the list from http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml

Curiously - Natural Histories Orchid is available to all listeners via the BBCiPlayerExtra plugin.

Man in a van
2018-09-14, 02:33
@bpa

Yep

Interestingly if I click on the program title (left hand side of the screen) I get this message

404 Not Found: There is no "http:" skin, try http://192.168.1.12:9000 instead.

It's the same for all the Titles.

I have to just use the play > to start.

ronnie

bpa
2018-09-14, 02:49
@bpa

Yep

Interestingly if I click on the program title (left hand side of the screen) I get this message

It's the same for all the Titles.

I have to just use the play > to start.

ronnie
I made a mistake - orchid does appear in a linked URL but it won;t play for me.

Find a programme in the opml feed is really messy - there doesn't seem to be much order within program list - I'll see if I can make it easier (e.g. remove levels, sort alphabetical and have genre menus).

Man in a van
2018-09-14, 02:56
@bpa

Find a programme in the opml feed is really messy

That is very true, I use a 'phone app a lot of the time and notice that when a new podcast is published, The Radio Station it is on, is higher up the initial Station List.

It is also an option to save the podcast as a favourite, but that just becomes another list (although one could make a folder for saved podcasts I guess).

ronnie

moletteuk
2018-09-14, 05:27
I think I've cleared the cache.db file by stopping the jail that the LMS runs in and waiting 15 minutes and restarting it. I can only delete it manually if I leave the (nas4free)jail and LMS running (I don't know how to stop and start LMS, it just starts automatically when the jail does) (I'm permanently out of my depth with this stuff). Please let me know if it's safe to delete the file while LMS is running, and I'll try that.

Anyway, when I first clicked on Iplayer Extras after restarting jail/LMS it went to the error message right away "There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Redirection limit exceeded)", but 15 mins later when I try it has retrieved the station names and alphabet programme letters and gives the error message when I select a letter.

Is this enough to know it is a problem with my LMS version (7.7.3)?

Thank you.

bpa
2018-09-14, 06:19
I think I've cleared the cache.db file by stopping the jail that the LMS runs in and waiting 15 minutes and restarting it. I can only delete it manually if I leave the (nas4free)jail and LMS running (I don't know how to stop and start LMS, it just starts automatically when the jail does) (I'm permanently out of my depth with this stuff). Please let me know if it's safe to delete the file while LMS is running, and I'll try that.

Anyway, when I first clicked on Iplayer Extras after restarting jail/LMS it went to the error message right away "There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Redirection limit exceeded)", but 15 mins later when I try it has retrieved the station names and alphabet programme letters and gives the error message when I select a letter.

Is this enough to know it is a problem with my LMS version (7.7.3)?

AFAIK This is not a LMS version issue but it's possible a bug was in older LMS - I'll try to do a check later.

Redirection is done by the destination of the HTTP request (i.e. bbc) as it passes the request off from one server to another trying to find the best. This error used to happen a lot with sourceforge repo URLs.

As a sanity check can you check this URL ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/x/player.json ) out on a browser on a PC connected to same LAN as the LMS server (I'm guessing you can run a browser on your NAS) . It will return JSON data - which looks cryptic but if it returns then it narrows down possible source of problem.

moletteuk
2018-09-14, 06:48
OK, I tried the web address on my windows laptop on same LAN as server running LMS, it seemed to run OK and returned this:

atoz
slice "player"
search "x"
letters
0 "a"
1 "b"
2 "c"
3 "d"
4 "e"
5 "f"
6 "g"
7 "h"
8 "i"
9 "j"
10 "k"
11 "l"
12 "m"
13 "n"
14 "o"
15 "p"
16 "q"
17 "r"
18 "s"
19 "t"
20 "u"
21 "v"
22 "w"
23 "x"
24 "y"
25 "z"
26 "@"
page null
total null
offset null
tleo_titles
title "Xtreme Everest"
letter "x"
programme
type "brand"
pid "b007tqd6"
title "Xtreme Everest"
short_synopsis "Graham Easton follows volunteers on Mount Everest as they take part in medical research"
pid "p04drxhs"
position null
expected_child_count null
first_broadcast_date "2007-07-25T21:00:00+01:00"
is_available true
ownership
service
type "radio"
id "bbc_radio_four"
key "radio4"
title "BBC Radio 4"

bpa
2018-09-14, 07:09
OK, I tried the web address on my windows laptop on same LAN as server running LMS, it seemed to run OK and returned this:
The fact it returned with no error means the problem may be with LMS version. I'll see if I can get an 7.7 version of LMS runnign to test.

moletteuk
2018-09-14, 07:44
Thank you.

I had a look yesterday to see if I could update my LMS, managed to create a new jail, but the packages that somebody had kindly put together for me to install LMS easily (in 2013) by copying and pasting a couple of commands were defunct.

bpa
2018-09-14, 07:49
Thank you.

I had a look yesterday to see if I could update my LMS, managed to create a new jail, but the packages that somebody had kindly put together for me to install LMS easily (in 2013) by copying and pasting a couple of commands were defunct.

It would be easier for me to check 7.7 first - you have a working system except for Extra - don't do something rash.

moletteuk
2018-09-14, 07:59
Don't worry, I won't be doing anything to risk the working system.

Man in a van
2018-09-14, 08:14
Don't worry, I won't be doing anything to risk the working system.

Have you ever though to run your LMS on a raspberry pi and leave your music files on the NAS?

ronnie

moletteuk
2018-09-14, 08:39
I nearly had a nervous breakdown setting up the server. I break out in a cold sweat when I think I might need to do something with it. If somebody could tell me that running raspberry pi for the LMS was efficient and easy to do and had full instructions to set it up, then I would happily consider giving it a go. It might be a good solution to have the LMS separate to the server. My problem is that there are so many options, I have no idea what is right for me. My server is an old HP N36l and the nas4free needs updating on it. I can't get podcasts working on my LMS 7.3.3 and I gather that would be solved with an updated LMS, is that right?

bpa
2018-09-14, 08:44
I nearly had a nervous breakdown setting up the server. I break out in a cold sweat when I think I might need to do something with it. If somebody could tell me that running raspberry pi for the LMS was efficient and easy to do and had full instructions to set it up, then I would happily consider giving it a go. It might be a good solution to have the LMS separate to the server. My problem is that there are so many options, I have no idea what is right for me. My server is an old HP N36l and the nas4free needs updating on it. I can't get podcasts working on my LMS 7.3.3 and I gather that would be solved with an updated LMS, is that right?

Please confirm version - earlier you said you had 7.7.3 - now you say 7.3.3 ?

harrys
2018-09-14, 08:48

ive found the best solution is..

download distro from https://www.armbian.com/

run armbian-config over ssh and its got a link to install lms automatically for you

i personally run it on a bannanpi (https://www.armbian.com/bananapi/) with an attached sata drive to hold my music

very stable and easy setup, every now and again, shut it down and create a backup image of the sdcard using w32 disk imager
:)

castalla
2018-09-14, 09:07
ive found the best solution is..

download distro from https://www.armbian.com/

run armbian-config over ssh and its got a link to install lms automatically for you

i personally run it on a bannanpi (https://www.armbian.com/bananapi/) with an attached sata drive to hold my music

very stable and easy setup, every now and again, shut it down and create a backup image of the sdcard using w32 disk imager
:)

Where are the raspi images?

moletteuk
2018-09-14, 09:22
OK, thanks, I'll look into that.

Sorry, bpa, that was a typo, it is 7.7.3

bpa
2018-09-14, 10:14
OK, thanks, I'll look into that.

Sorry, bpa, that was a typo, it is 7.7.3

Just tested with 7.7.5 and Extra works OK. Need to do a bit more thinking on possible causes.

harrys
2018-09-14, 10:42
Where are the raspi images?

armbian is mainly for allwinner boards, I like the fact bananapi has onboard sata

if you want a raspi solution with autosetup of LMS the two main quick setup choices are

1) https://www.picoreplayer.org/landingzone_option2.html (although i use it in player not as a server with a pi/hifiberry card combo for playpack of flac's to a high end audio system)

2) https://www.max2play.com/en/

moletteuk
2018-09-14, 11:08
OK, bpa, thank you.

bpa
2018-09-14, 12:21
OK, bpa, thank you.
I got to test 7.7.3 as well and it sort of worked - at least I got to play programs via the Extra letter menu. I had to do a hack to get LMS working with a much newer version of Perl (last 7.7.3 supported Perl was 5.16 and I'm on 5.22) so it wasn't pretty or perfect.

However I think the general changeover to use https from http will affect 7.7.3 users. The BBC redirection issues is from a http URL to a https URL and LMS managed but a few other error messages from BBCiPlayer action popped up relating to https.

I don't know what is not working on your system so I think the podcast will be your best workaround in the short term.

florca
2018-09-14, 16:07
In the past I've had useful answers from the BBC iPlayer Feedback system (YMMV...). Maybe worth firing in queries / complaints about the loss of this feed via:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/contact/

Don't see it can do any harm and maybe if a decent number of people put in similar feedback then they may fix the problem. I've fired off a message quoting the loss of http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/radio4.xml as a starter..

bpa
2018-09-14, 16:17
In the past I've had useful answers from the BBC iPlayer Feedback system (YMMV...). Maybe worth firing in queries / complaints about the loss of this feed via:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/contact/

Don't see it can do any harm and maybe if a decent number of people put in similar feedback then they may fix the problem. I've fired off a message quoting the loss of http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/radio4.xml as a starter..

The feed is a vendor feed intended for use by companies not individuals and not really part of BBC of BBCiPlayer - IIRC the feed is generated from a database and maintained by a 3rd party. This means normal channels do not really work. Triode had a contact. I also know that some BBC technical staff used to look at this forum.

That said, as it is vendor feed, there are vendor customers who will have been complaining to the vendor through their support who will in turn provide feedback to BBC. My only worry is that the BBC have changed the URL and vendors know the new URL.

Krisbee
2018-09-15, 03:32

Your HP N36L is getting rather old, so if you are thinking about a replacement using a Rpi as a LMS server may or may not be the right solution for you. But it is a great optiion, especially if the RPi is also used as a player. But you really want a Rpi3 for the added performance boost. Loads of help here re: setting up using picoplayer. (My RPi 2 is stil running as player only with Triode's orig SOA software and hifiberry Digi+ hat).

But as you've managed to set up a new jail on your HP N36L , you might be able to make use of this FreeBSD LMS port: https://www.freshports.org/audio/logitechmediaserver/

It's a while since I did this myself, but these note should help:

Install & Buld software in jail
=====================

pkg info
pkg install nasm bash rsync gmake curl binutils faad2 sox flac mac libgd perl5 p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.051
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/audio/logitechmediaserver;make install clean
cd /

edit /root/.cshrc to set correct locale using vi

setenv LC_ALL 'en_GB.UTF-8'
setenv LANG 'en_GB.UTF-8'
setenv MM_CHARSET 'UTF-8'
setenv TZ Europe/London

Note: you'll have to check the basic commands to use in the vi editor.

test locale correctly set:

root@LMSjail:~ # locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8

Setup LMS service
===============

sysrc logitechmediaserver_enable="YES"
service logitechmediaserver start

Testing
==================
root@LMSjail2:~ # service logitechmediaserver onestart
Starting logitechmediaserver.
Async::HTTP: Unable to load IO::Socket::SSL, will try connecting to SSL servers in non-SSL mode
[18-02-01 07:58:27.2699] main::init (387) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.9.1, TRUNK, UNKNOWN) perl 5.024003 - amd64-freebsd-thread-multi
root@LMSjail2:~ # Async::HTTP: Unable to load IO::Socket::SSL, will try connecting to SSL servers in non-SSL mode

Needed additional package

root@LMSjail2:~ # pkg install p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.051
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
Updating audiodigitale repository catalogue...
audiodigitale repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 3 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
p5-IO-Socket-SSL: 2.051 [FreeBSD]
p5-Mozilla-CA: 20160104 [FreeBSD]
p5-Net-SSLeay: 1.82 [FreeBSD]

Number of packages to be installed: 3

The process will require 2 MiB more space.
550 KiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[LMSjail2] [1/3] Fetching p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.051.txz: 100% 158 KiB 162.1kB/s 00:01
[LMSjail2] [2/3] Fetching p5-Mozilla-CA-20160104.txz: 100% 147 KiB 150.0kB/s 00:01
[LMSjail2] [3/3] Fetching p5-Net-SSLeay-1.82.txz: 100% 245 KiB 250.8kB/s 00:01
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
[LMSjail2] [1/3] Installing p5-Mozilla-CA-20160104...
[LMSjail2] [1/3] Extracting p5-Mozilla-CA-20160104: 100%
[LMSjail2] [2/3] Installing p5-Net-SSLeay-1.82...
[LMSjail2] [2/3] Extracting p5-Net-SSLeay-1.82: 100%
[LMSjail2] [3/3] Installing p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.051...
[LMSjail2] Extracting p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.051: 100%

Restart LMS:

logitechmediaserver already running? (pid=5808).
root@LMSjail2:~ # service logitechmediaserver stop
Stopping logitechmediaserver.
Waiting for PIDS: 5808.
Starting logitechmediaserver.
[18-02-01 07:59:23.1656] main::init (387) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.9.1, TRUNK, UNKNOWN) perl 5.024003 - amd64-freebsd-thread-multi
root@LMSjail2:~ # sokcstat -v4
sokcstat: Command not found.
root@LMSjail2:~ # sockstat -v4
USER COMMAND PID FD PROTO LOCAL ADDRESS FOREIGN ADDRESS
slimserv perl 5885 8 udp4 192.168.0.103:3483 *:*
slimserv perl 5885 9 tcp4 192.168.0.103:3483 *:*
slimserv perl 5885 23 tcp4 192.168.0.103:9090 *:*
slimserv perl 5885 25 udp4 *:* *:*
slimserv perl 5885 26 udp4 192.168.0.103:1900 *:*
slimserv perl 5885 27 udp4 192.168.0.103:1900 *:*
slimserv perl 5885 28 tcp4 192.168.0.103:23918 *:*
slimserv perl 5885 29 tcp4 192.168.0.103:9000 *:*
? ? ? ? tcp4 192.168.0.103:23920 192.168.0.103:9000
? ? ? ? tcp4 192.168.0.103:9000 192.168.0.103:23920
? ? ? ? tcp4 192.168.0.103:9000 192.168.0.103:23921
? ? ? ? tcp4 192.168.0.103:9000 192.168.0.103:23922
? ? ? ? tcp4 192.168.0.103:9000 192.168.0.103:23923
? ? ? ? tcp4 192.168.0.103:9000 192.168.0.103:23924
? ? ? ? tcp4 192.168.0.103:9000 192.168.0.103:23925
root@LMSjail2:~ # exit

I would seriously consider updating your Nas4Free install.

moletteuk
2018-09-15, 05:28
Thanks very much Krisbee, I'll have to have a think about it, I'm not sure I understand enough to try that, although I don't suppose I have much to lose in trying. I'm tempted by the raspi3, that looks doable, and I had no idea I could turn a raspi into a squeezebox player, which is cool because my boom is on its way out. How easy is it to link LMS on a raspi to find the music files on a server? Is it much easier to attach a usb drive to the raspi? I should probably start a new thread.

Back on topic, I can't get the http://bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml thing to work. I have v1.0 of the podcast app, I see someone mentioned v2 but I can't see any option to update. I'm adding the opml address to the podcast list in podcast settings but nothing happens. I can't get the podcast app to work reliably at all, but I haven't persevered because I thought I read there is in issue with LMS 7.7.3, is that right?

I've managed to add the specific feeds for news quiz extra and the boring talks, and I can get them to play direct from a squeebox touch using touch controls, but I can't get them to play from web interface or on boom at all. Scratch that, after the Touch has found the podcast file, I can then control it from web interface. If I go straight in from web I get "404 Not Found:There is no "http:" skin, try http://jailb.local:9000/ instead." Other podcasts, eg Heavyweight, I'm sure I have got going once or twice, but now when I click on them from web or Touch direct, it just says 'Nothing'.

Apologies for stupidity/ ignorance.

Man in a van
2018-09-15, 06:27
@moletteuk

Well fruit of the vine, it goes here:

Copy and paste the link into the New Feed box, click apply and it should appear like this

and here

I sent you a pm yesterday, did you see it? :p

ronnie

bpa
2018-09-15, 08:09
Back on topic, I can't get the http://bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml thing to work. I have v1.0 of the podcast app, I see someone mentioned v2 but I can't see any option to update. I'm adding the opml address to the podcast list in podcast settings but nothing happens. I can't get the podcast app to work reliably at all, but I haven't persevered because I thought I read there is in issue with LMS 7.7.3, is that right?

In LMS 7.7.*-7.9 there was a changeover between 2 sorts of Podcast support - make you are adding the URL into the Podcast tab on WebUI Settings and to play access the Podcast menu under "my Apps" and not the "Podcasts" under "Radio"

Krisbee
2018-09-15, 08:25
Thanks very much Krisbee, I'll have to have a think about it, I'm not sure I understand enough to try that, although I don't suppose I have much to lose in trying. I'm tempted by the raspi3, that looks doable, and I had no idea I could turn a raspi into a squeezebox player, which is cool because my boom is on its way out. How easy is it to link LMS on a raspi to find the music files on a server? Is it much easier to attach a usb drive to the raspi? I should probably start a new thread.

I've managed to add the specific feeds for news quiz extra and the boring talks, and I can get them to play direct from a squeebox touch using touch controls, but I can't get them to play from web interface or on boom at all. Scratch that, after the Touch has found the podcast file, I can then control it from web interface. If I go straight in from web I get "404 Not Found:There is no "http:" skin, try http://jailb.local:9000/ instead." Other podcasts, eg Heavyweight, I'm sure I have got going once or twice, but now when I click on them from web or Touch direct, it just says 'Nothing'.

Apologies for stupidity/ ignorance.

You're welcome. Using jails does require some understanding of FreeBSD as compared to say using a docker app in linux which is more play n play. That was actually done on FreeNAS rather than Nas4Free. I've just checked it still works, and with a minor tweak it does. But on FreeNAS the jail was based on a FreeBSD 11.2 release, which is why you might need to update your Nas4Free install. If the prospect of doing that might break things like their jail system (the BigOne?), the idea of a combined server/player based on a raspberry pi becomes very attractive rather than wrestling with Nas4Free for now. But it's worth thinking about when & with what you replace your N36L with.

This link has already been posted: https://www.picoreplayer.org/landingzone_option2.html and there are comprehensive help pages: https://www.picoreplayer.org/main_getting_started.shtml A common hardware config is to have either an amplifier or digital output HAT to added the rpi in order to connect to existing hifi, either direct to speakers or to an external DAC. The hifiberry (https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/) and iquadio (http://iqaudio.co.uk/) products lines are just of two of the popular choices of kit.

DaveCheltenham
2018-09-15, 08:32
As always, thanks to all the people who do the real work and in my case BPA as his BBCiPlayer Extra saves the day for the programmes I listen to.

My setup on a Raspberry Pi 3 is:-

• Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1536946607 @ Fri Sep 14 20:18:01 CEST 2018
• Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
• Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux
• Perl Version: 5.20.2 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
• BBCiPlayer – v1.5.4.5 and BBCiPlayer Extras – 2.0.0 (dash enabled)

After selection, programmes play without a problem an example being ‘The Leeds International Piano Competition Part 1’ the URL information being:-

<outline URL="iplayer://aod?dash=http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-syndication-dash/proto/http/vpid/m0000c4m&amp;ms=http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/vpid/m0000c4m/mediaset/pc&amp;dur=10680&amp;icon=http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p06kfnxq.jpg&amp;title=Radio%203%20in%20Concert%2C%20L eeds%20International%20Piano%20Competition%202018% 20-%20Finals%201%2F2&amp;desc=The%20first%20round%20of%20 the%20concerto%20finals%20live%20from%20Leeds%20To wn%20Hall" icon="html/images/favorites.png" text="Radio 3 in Concert, Leeds International Piano Competition 2018 - Finals 1/2" type="audio" />
It Plays:- File Format: AAC, Duration: 178:00 and Bitrate: 320kbps CBR

I assume, but do not know, the BBC has changed the location the Programme History file but not the programme files.
I hope this information may help.

moletteuk
2018-09-15, 08:43
This is what I see when I add the url:
https://s6.postimg.cc/amedjfn1d/sqpod1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/gakoabrdp/)

And this is what I see when I subsequently look in my apps - podcasts

https://s6.postimg.cc/rmx9s4n81/sqpod2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/l986ovibx/)

So, I don't think it is doing what it's supposed to?

I hadn't seen the PM, Ronnie, will reply now, thanks.

bpa
2018-09-15, 08:44
I assume, but do not know, the BBC has changed the location the Programme History file but not the programme files.
I hope this information may help.

I don't understand what you mean.

BBCiPlayer plugin used a feed which BBC provided for last 7 days of programs by schedule and station. It is/was a special feed created espeically for vendors.
BBCiPlayerplugin uses a different feed which is mainly web page driven and has at least 30 days of programs

All BBC programs TV & Radio are stored as files - possibly in AAC as "Listen Again" has to be compressed on a per file basis not on the fly in order to index timepoints. The program can then be deliveredd using either DASH or HLS transports.

Web Pages, Phone apps and the vendor feed all point back to same program audio.

Man in a van
2018-09-15, 10:05
@moletteuk

If you follow this advice from the BBC then you can save each podcast, which it looks like to me, is what you already do.

Subscribe on a computer using podcast software
If you've got podcast software installed on your computer (such as iTunes, Juice or gPodder) you can use the URL for the podcast feed to subscribe to your chosen podcast.

Find the podcast you'd like to subscribe to on the BBC iPlayer Radio website
Then, select Subscribe and then RSS
Copy the URL from the page you're taken to
Paste that URL into the feed in the podcast software on your computer

I have just tested these four urls, results included

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.xml #Works

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml #Works

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml_v2.opml #Works

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml_v2.xml #Invalid Feed - 404 Not Found

I think your problem may well be related to the LMS version you are using.

ronnie

TheLastMan
2018-09-15, 10:51
A pity this. I always used to browse the schedules for something to listen to. Now I have to do that on the phone app and then go to BPA's iPlayer Extra app to find the programme to play there. Let's just hope that continues working!

I remember last time we nearly lost the BBC iPlayer plugin we all commented vociferously on a BBC tech blog and we made the powers that be aware of the situation. I will dig around and see if I can find that blog again and leave a comment.

moletteuk
2018-09-15, 11:21
Thanks for confirming I'm not doing something wrong. I've tried various rss feeds from different sources at various times and never got any to work reliably, I've tried 3 of those bbc opml addresses now and nothing is showing up in the podcasts menu. It's useful to confirm I'm going to have to update my LMS one way or another.

I reckon I could cope with setting up picoreplayer on a raspi, I can probably upgrade the nas4free to up to date xigmanas if it will run on the N36L (maybe I can just add some ram), plus I can do both those things without touching the current system, I just need a usb drive for the xigmanas. Then I just choose whether to get a new harddrive to store the music, or point the raspi to the xigmanas. With file server and LMS separate and LMS on a more user friendly and supported system, I should be capable of keeping on top of it.

@Krisbee I started off with Freenas on the N36L and then something stopped working and I had to upgrade to Nas4free and go the jail route, which I couldn't have done without detailed instructions, I used 'The Brig' extension to set up the jail. It's just got more complicated to keep the LMS working with the Nas4free, although it has been an elegant solution to have a file server and LMS and music store all on one device, it's probably time to split things up so I can get back in control.

@thelastman, I'll happily message the BBC if you can find an address.

@bpa thanks for the countless hours of happy Iplayer listening over the last 8(?) years :)

DaveCheltenham
2018-09-15, 14:55
I don't understand what you mean.

BBCiPlayer plugin used a feed which BBC provided for last 7 days of programs by schedule and station. It is/was a special feed created especially for vendors.
BBCiPlayerplugin uses a different feed which is mainly web page driven and has at least 30 days of programs

All BBC programs TV & Radio are stored as files - possibly in AAC as "Listen Again" has to be compressed on a per file basis not on the fly in order to index timepoints. The program can then be delivered using either DASH or HLS transports.

Web Pages, Phone apps and the vendor feed all point back to same program audio.
Thanks for the clarification bpa. I assume the 2nd reference is the one you use and still works for me.

Thanks again

bpa
2018-09-15, 15:04
Thanks for the clarification bpa. I assume the 2nd reference is the one you use and still works for me.

Unfortunately it is a feed that BBC have indicated they wanted to discontinue - following the "loss" of the BBCiPlayer feed, I'm looking for alternatives as another backup.

What did you mean by "Programme History" ?

properjob
2018-09-15, 16:00
Darnit! subscribing to thread

castalla
2018-09-16, 02:34
I've always used the standard iplayer plugin for listen again - many thanks to bpa!

I just installed the Extra plugin - a good substitute. However, I have 2 questions (one practical, the other pedantic!)

1. Why isn't BBC World Service listed ?

2. Why are 'programmes' listed as 'programs'? This is Aunty after all!

Man in a van
2018-09-16, 02:43

have you moved to Royal Tunbridge Wells?:p

bpa
2018-09-16, 03:22
I've always used the standard iplayer plugin for listen again - many thanks to bpa!

I just installed the Extra plugin - a good substitute. However, I have 2 questions (one practical, the other pedantic!)

1. Why isn't BBC World Service listed ?
All programs including worldservice are in the "All progams" & "Latest" menus. The BBC have many radio classifications - I decided to limit to national stations rather than include regional, local, world and various international. For World add the following to your opml file save and then go back to top menu and back inti Extra menu and it shoiudl appear.

<outline text="A-Z - World Service">
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/a/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="A programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/b/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="B programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/c/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="C programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/d/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="D programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/e/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="E programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/f/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="F programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/g/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="G programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/h/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="H programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/i/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="I programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/j/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="J programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/k/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="K programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/l/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="L programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/m/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="M programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/n/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="N programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/o/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="O programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/p/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="P programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/q/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="Q programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/r/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="R programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/s/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="S programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/t/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="T programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/u/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="U programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/v/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="V programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/w/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="W programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/x/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="X programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/y/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="Y programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/z/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="Z programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/%40/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="0-9 programs" />
</outline>

If you want other stations then use the relevant station id in the filter for example you could use any of the following: afriqueradio, arabicradio, banglaradio, burmeseradio, cantoneseradio, dariradio, hindiradio, gahuzaradio, hausaradio, indonesiaradio, kyrgyzradio, nepaliradio, pashtoradio, persianradio, urduradio, uzbekradio, sinhalaradio, somaliradio, swahiliradio, tamilradio.

You must have loaded the international english version opml from an non UK server. I may have to prepare a UK only version available from UK server only when Brexit occurs - all dependent on UK regulations.

castalla
2018-09-16, 03:31

All programs including worldservice are in the "All progams" & "Latest" menus. The BBC have many radio classifications - I decided to limit to national stations rather than include regional, local, world and various international. For World add the following to your opml file save and then go back to top menu and back inti Extra menu and it shoiudl appear.

<outline text="A-Z - World Service">
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/a/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="A programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/b/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="B programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/c/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="C programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/d/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="D programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/e/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="E programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/f/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="F programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/g/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="G programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/h/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="H programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/i/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="I programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/j/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="J programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/k/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="K programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/l/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="L programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/m/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="M programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/n/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="N programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/o/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="O programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/p/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="P programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/q/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="Q programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/r/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="R programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/s/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="S programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/t/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="T programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/u/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="U programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/v/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="V programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/w/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="W programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/x/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="X programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/y/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="Y programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/z/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="Z programs" />
<outline URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/a-z/by/%40/player.json" parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=worldserviceradio" text="0-9 programs" />
</outline>

If you want other stations then use the relevant station id in the filter for example you could use any of the following: afriqueradio, arabicradio, banglaradio, burmeseradio, cantoneseradio, dariradio, hindiradio, gahuzaradio, hausaradio, indonesiaradio, kyrgyzradio, nepaliradio, pashtoradio, persianradio, urduradio, uzbekradio, sinhalaradio, somaliradio, swahiliradio, tamilradio.

You must have loaded the international english version opml from an non UK server. I may have to prepare a UK only version available from UK server only when Brexit occurs - all dependent on UK regulations.

Thanks for the explanation!

castalla
2018-09-16, 03:38
have you moved to Royal Tunbridge Wells?:p

In my world a 'program' is a computer program, and a 'programme' is what the Beeb broadcasts.

And don't get me started about 'News stories' ...

scoob101
2018-09-16, 04:05
Got the same issue - cant listed to iplayer radio listen again on squeezebox any more, getting a 404 error, on both iplayer and iplayer extras.

I apprecate this is being looked into (thanks BPA!), but in the mean time, is there any workarounds people have, short of plugging a phone with iplayer radio into the line in?

bpa
2018-09-16, 04:06
Thanks for confirming I'm not doing something wrong. I've tried various rss feeds from different sources at various times and never got any to work reliably, I've tried 3 of those bbc opml addresses now and nothing is showing up in the podcasts menu. It's useful to confirm I'm going to have to update my LMS one way or another.

I reckon I could cope with setting up picoreplayer on a raspi, I can probably upgrade the nas4free to up to date xigmanas if it will run on the N36L (maybe I can just add some ram), plus I can do both those things without touching the current system, I just need a usb drive for the xigmanas. Then I just choose whether to get a new harddrive to store the music, or point the raspi to the xigmanas. With file server and LMS separate and LMS on a more user friendly and supported system, I should be capable of keeping on top of it.

@Krisbee I started off with Freenas on the N36L and then something stopped working and I had to upgrade to Nas4free and go the jail route, which I couldn't have done without detailed instructions, I used 'The Brig' extension to set up the jail. It's just got more complicated to keep the LMS working with the Nas4free, although it has been an elegant solution to have a file server and LMS and music store all on one device, it's probably time to split things up so I can get back in control.

@thelastman, I'll happily message the BBC if you can find an address.

@bpa thanks for the countless hours of happy Iplayer listening over the last 8(?) years :)

Still looking for a reason for "redirection" error - given that my test of 7.7.5 on perl 5.22 worked.
https uses security SSL/TLS. If you remember a few years ago there was a big fuss about a serious bug in a library. I'm wonder whether BBC is no longer supporting some of the ealier version of SSL and it is possible your version of Perl / libraries is too old.

What version of Perl are you using and when were the libraries updated ?

Nickok
2018-09-16, 04:25
LMS 7.8.0
Windows 10
iPlayer1.5.3

Listen Live: works
iPlayer Extras: works
Catchup: (which is what I use iPlayer for): Not working, error message.

moletteuk
2018-09-16, 04:31
Perl is 5.14.2.

I'm not familiar with the libraries thing at all, but the installation was put together in 2013, if that helps? I have done the 'clear library and rescan everything' a couple of weeks ago. I've found this in the LMS info page Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1).

bpa
2018-09-16, 04:40
Perl is 5.14.2.

I'm not familiar with the libraries thing at all, but the installation was put together in 2013, if that helps? I have done the 'clear library and rescan everything' a couple of weeks ago. I've found this in the LMS info page Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1).

5.14 was released in 2011. Sqlite 1.34_1 was also 2011. The SSL bug HeartBleed was found in 2014. The library I'm referring to are the Perl code Libraries not LMS database but if you are using a distro (nas4free?) I'm guessing update support stopped about 2 years after release.

So there is a possibility the issue is related to a BBC update and "out of date" s/w - I just need to verify this.

moletteuk
2018-09-16, 04:54
It's 9.2.0.1 nas4free set up at the same time as the LMS in 2013, not touched since then, everything is from that time. (It was so hard for me to set up, I never touched it again after I got it working, I pretended Heartbleed didn't happen)

Man in a van
2018-09-16, 05:17
In my world a 'program' is a computer program, and a 'programme' is what the Beeb broadcasts.

And don't get me started about 'News stories' ...

It's da yoof, like, innit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6H6WTPfAY

:cool:

bpa
2018-09-16, 05:29
It's da yoof, like, innit:

they should also stop calling mills "CPUs" - just like the good old days in Manchester when the UK invented computers like the MU5.

bpa
2018-09-16, 05:55
It's 9.2.0.1 nas4free set up at the same time as the LMS in 2013, not touched since then, everything is from that time. (It was so hard for me to set up, I never touched it again after I got it working, I pretended Heartbleed didn't happen)

The levels security for https are SSL2, SSL3, TLS v1.0, TLS v1.1 and TLS v1.2. Recommended to use 1.2.

I've checked BBC using openSSL client and the minimum they support is TLSv1. The older SSL2 and SSL3 are not supported by BBC and AFAICT TLS v1.0 only started support in Perl around 2011 and v1.1/v1.2 support in Nov 2013.

So my best guess is that the "redirection" problem may be due to BBC upgrading https security support - which has been a theme in their various blogs. Unfortuntely I cannot recreate such an old enviroment easily.

It is also possible the 404 problem is a victim of same "Upgrade" as IIRC it was run from a different server and/or maintained by a 3rd party.

castalla
2018-09-16, 06:14
Seems bizarre to me that the national listings are gone but the local radio ones still work. Could 'Kevin' simply have pressed the wrong button?

Man in a van
2018-09-16, 06:23
thanks for that, it made me chuckle :)

bpa
2018-09-16, 06:35
Seems bizarre to me that the national listings are gone but the local radio ones still work. Could 'Kevin' simply have pressed the wrong button?

You may think it is odd but that gives me comfort - that the disappearance is a mistake or unintended side-effect rather than a withdrawal of the feed. Although it could be that "Kevin" is half-bad at his job and only managed to kill half the feed.

Even more odd is that it looks there are 30 days of local programs whereas before it was only 7 days. This is a mess - regardless of what was intended.

I was working on "screen scraping" schedules to mimic the feed as a backup - I'm now in two minds whether to wait or continue.

castalla
2018-09-16, 06:54
You may think it is odd but that gives me comfort - that the disappearance is a mistake or unintended side-effect rather than a withdrawal of the feed. Although it could be that "Kevin" is half-bad at his job and only managed to kill half the feed.

Even more odd is that it looks there are 30 days of local programs whereas before it was only 7 days. This is a mess - regardless of what was intended.

I was working on "screen scraping" schedules to mimic the feed as a backup - I'm now in two minds whether to wait or continue.

Why not wait? If it's deliberate then, unless they disclose the url, maybe it may be worth it. What we need is a whistle-blower to get some info.

bpa
2018-09-16, 07:27
Why not wait? If it's deliberate then, unless they disclose the url, maybe it may be worth it. What we need is a whistle-blower to get some info.
It's possible it's a job half done - previously local radio moved over to HLS and DASH a few months after national/regional stations.

When checking out the local radio feeds I notice there is a contact email address: aodfeed at bbc.co.uk
I'm in two minds whether to send a message - it might remind someone of the grey area/forgotten corner we occupy.

castalla
2018-09-16, 07:40
It's possible it's a job half done - previously local radio moved over to HLS and DASH a few months after national/regional stations.

When checking out the local radio feeds I notice there is a contact email address: aodfeed at bbc.co.uk
I'm in two minds whether to send a message - it might remind someone of the grey area/forgotten corner we occupy.

I suppose the problem is to tell or not to tell! There must be a squeezebox sympathiser somewhere in the beeb!

tricia
2018-09-16, 07:40
Same here on Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1499900819 @ Wed Jul 12 23:26:54 UTC 2017, Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux, Perl Version: 5.20.2 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
Is there a way to fix it or workaround it?

bpa
2018-09-16, 07:44
Same here on Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1499900819 @ Wed Jul 12 23:26:54 UTC 2017, Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux, Perl Version: 5.20.2 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
Is there a way to fix it or workaround it?

The 404 is a BBC issue and nothing can be done at LMS end. The BBCiPlayerExtra plugin should work and at least provide access to Listen Again albeit in a different way by name or genre.

bpa
2018-09-16, 07:48
I suppose the problem is to tell or not to tell! There must be a squeezebox sympathiser somewhere in the beeb!
Not sure. I've had a post that remarked about my DASH implementation that made them do a fix as plugin was too eager and generated many errors message on BBC end.

The problem is policy vs accommodation - if the feed is supposed to be only used by vendors and a message arrives at support - what officially should they do ? answer or warn us off ?

castalla
2018-09-16, 07:53
Not sure. I've had a post that remarked about my DASH implementation that made them do a fix as plugin was too eager and generated many errors message on BBC end.

The problem is policy vs accommodation - if the feed is supposed to be only used by vendors and a message arrives at support - what officially should they do ? answer or warn us off ?

I suppose it all depends on what their 'vendor' policy is ...

bpa
2018-09-16, 08:12
I suppose it all depends on what their 'vendor' policy is ...
My understanding from Triode was the BBC only entered into conversations with companies or organisations not individuals. I believe Triode got feedback from an individual in BBC rather than a generic email address.

The message about my DASH implementation came via the forum so I believe that some staff perhaps just at development level keeps an eye on BBC related messages especially as DASH users with a 3rd party player were scarce.

Paul Webster
2018-09-16, 10:58
Over the years I have had contact with a few of the people including during the phase when then AOD feed was made available.
Unfortunately all of the people that would reply to me back then have left BBC over the intervening years.
Last week I did reach out to a couple of people who are still there and that I think should be interested but have not had any response yet.

danco
2018-09-16, 11:43
I'm getting the 404 error with BBC iPLayer (Mac OS 10.13.6, LMS 7.9.1/r1523349116, iPlayer 1.5.3). I am in the UK.

Installed BBC iPlayer Extras 2.0.0. Had some trouble due to my error.

Tried to play several programs on Radios 4 and 2 using the A-Z menus. Found the items OK, but when I tried to play the one I wanted got the message

Error: no items in playlist.

BBC iPlayer settings are currently DASH > HLS > MP3 > FlashAAC, they've not been changed for ages.

What's the next thing to try?

g8vju
2018-09-16, 12:09
For BPA

Firstly, Thanks for all your efforts in keeping the BBC HD services running over the years. I remember the flap a couple of years back when the URL's changed and despite being an "old" IT Manager the grief of trying to patch the various files on my readynas cos I forgotten a lot of the unix commands!

Regarding the current 404 error, please could you advise what type of stream this is as again the BBC seems to provide lots of different formats via different vendors, e.g. There are the various phone radio iplayer and tunein apps etc
Where I am confused --- is the squeeze plugin "BBC iplayer" HD 320kbs? e.g. For all those play again BBC national stationsthat have the 404 error?- I think they are? ---I know the listen live is 320kbs.
Then what are the squeeze plugin for "BBC iplayer Extras"? I believe these are lower quality 128kbs?

As regarding complaining to the BBC, I have emailed the BBC in the hope of getting some feedback, but non so far. I saw your comments that the service is provided by a third party, and the possibility that the URL's are protected. Well I am thinking of complaining to Ofcom about this if not resolved soon, and would encourage others to do similar. After all this is a public broadcaster, and in this modern age of internet steaming I can't understand their logic of withholding information. The BBC has been transmitting On FM for over 60 years ( also via a third party contractor) and still using same frequencies from my local TX. It would not make sense to change frequency to a different band and not tell their listeners, so I don't see the logic of changing or withdrawing these streaming URL's without notification!

Man in a van
2018-09-16, 13:26

Yes, a little bit "between a rock and a hard place".

I seem to remember that when the HLS change occurred, one of the BBC Bloggers said the intention was to put a stop to "abuse" of broadcast content in the near future.

I took that remark to be aimed at "get iplayer".

On the BBC Radio iPlayer web pages it is stated clearly that

You can only access live BBC programmes and podcasts on your internet radio. On-demand programmes are not available.

Yet on another page

Listening via IP Streaming Devices

Like Internet Radios, these devices stream radio stations from the internet via a broadband connection and (WiFi) router but are intended to be part of a HiFi setup to allow high quality listening in a controlled environment. These devices generally do not suffer from limited processing and memory resources and so are capable of consuming our highest bitrate AAC+ streams over HLS or MPEG-DASH.

Full on demand support is usually available with these devices using the HLS or MPEG-DASH protocols.

The question is, I guess, do the manufacturers of these IP Streaming Devices, who are, I presume, the vendors referred to here by bpa

pay any sort of fee/license for the feed, or is it supplied gratis by the BBC?

I wonder if a "Freedom of information Act" enquiry would reap any benefit?

bpa
2018-09-16, 13:45
Regarding the current 404 error, please could you advise what type of stream this is as again the BBC seems to provide lots of different formats via different vendors, e.g. There are the various phone radio iplayer and tunein apps etc
Where I am confused --- is the squeeze plugin "BBC iplayer" HD 320kbs? e.g. For all those play again BBC national stationsthat have the 404 error?- I think they are? ---I know the listen live is 320kbs.
Then what are the squeeze plugin for "BBC iplayer Extras"? I believe these are lower quality 128kbs?

Live station quality is not the same or directly comparable with "Listen Again" program quality. Make sure you are not comparing Live with Listen Again.

The BBC stores the program in digital form in one place. There are many ways to find & play these programs but the quality when played is exactly the same as long as the requesting player asks for the same quality (e.g. highest, medium, lowest, very lowest).
BBCiPlayer uses a feed (in fact one feed per station for all national, regional or local stations ) which summarises all the programs for the last 7 days. This feed is designed for an "applicance" so it is a small file which has no formatting or images.
The BBCiPlayer Extra uses a few different feeds: one summarising all programs for all stations (incl international) for 30 days (i.e. a big file) - BBC has said this feed will disappear due to maintenance difficulties. The BBCiPlayerExtra also uses other feed for the "Latest" which were intended for Web use and as such has lots of wasted formatting which is not used by the plugin. The feeds used by BBCiPlayerExtra points to the exact same programs as the BBCiPlayer feed which are the same as BBC Web browser and BBC phone/tablet App. All BBC programs have a unique Programme ID (PID) and this identifier is the same for all and as such the playable quality can be the same for all. [/quote]

The quality of program actually played depends on the station, the program being played, the format used (e.g. DASH, HLS, Flashaac), the plugin settings and location of LMS server - UK/nonUK.

If you give more details and specific examples, it may be possible to explain what is happening on your system.

I saw your comments that the service is provided by a third party, and the possibility that the URL's are protected.
You misunderstand - AFAIK it was developed and maintained by a 3rd party on request by the BBC and for the BBC. The URLS are not protected. I just speculated that the URLs may have changed as a possible explanation but that now seems unlikley since "local radio" listen again on BBCiPlayer is still working.

Well I am thinking of complaining to Ofcom about this if not resolved soon, and would encourage others to do similar. After all this is a public broadcaster, and in this modern age of internet steaming I can't understand their logic of withholding information. The BBC has been transmitting On FM for over 60 years ( also via a third party contractor) and still using same frequencies from my local TX. It would not make sense to change frequency to a different band and not tell their listeners, so I don't see the logic of changing or withdrawing these streaming URL's without notification!
AFAIK there is no regulation/obligations on what the BBC has to offer to public on the internet. The BBC currently offers a full service on Web and phone/table app to public so I think any complaint to OFCOM would be ignored. I expect the feed the BBCIplayer uses was offered to vendors under a private contract/T&Cs (e.g. via the now defunct IMDA [Internet Media Device Alliance] organisation). The BBC have developed a new API Nitro which is used by the phone / table apps - it was intended for possible use by 3rd parties but BBC have not provided "keys" on open access I think because of the difficulty with agreeing T&Cs for use.

The BBC have not legally agreed anything with the many plugin developers over the years. It would best not to threaten BBC as I think the BBCiPlayer community would suffer from permanent exclusion. In the past, the BBC have moved against abuse of interfaces (e.g. downloading content) by closing down the interface.

bpa
2018-09-16, 13:59
The question is, I guess, do the manufacturers of these IP Streaming Devices, who are, I presume, the vendors referred to here by bpa

pay any sort of fee/license for the feed, or is it supplied gratis by the BBC?

I wonder if a "Freedom of information Act" enquiry would reap any benefit?

I think no action is best for a while as anything may antagonise.

As an example of the power vendors have. About 2 years ago a few vendors had smart TV with BBC iPlayer capability. The TV got the info from a feed the BBC provided. Unilaterally BBC changed the feed and many user of these smart TV suddenly lost that capability - TV from Sony , Samsung etc - customer complained but got no satisfaction from either vendor nor BBC. See https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/BBC-iPlayer-witholding-service/td-p/262556

Now BBC certifies TVs ( see https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/Sony ) which I presume means there is a legal contract between vendors and BBC for iPlayer. Vendors have to provide upgrades when BBC changes but some TV just can't be upgraded.

There were far more TV users than LMS users affected by this move.

bpa
2018-09-16, 14:01
I'm getting the 404 error with BBC iPLayer (Mac OS 10.13.6, LMS 7.9.1/r1523349116, iPlayer 1.5.3). I am in the UK.

Installed BBC iPlayer Extras 2.0.0. Had some trouble due to my error.

Tried to play several programs on Radios 4 and 2 using the A-Z menus. Found the items OK, but when I tried to play the one I wanted got the message

Error: no items in playlist.

BBC iPlayer settings are currently DASH > HLS > MP3 > FlashAAC, they've not been changed for ages.

What's the next thing to try?

What are the BBCIplayerExtra settings ?

castalla
2018-09-16, 14:31
I suggest backing off with any formal complaints until there's some more info about whats going on.

danco
2018-09-16, 14:54
What are the BBCIplayerExtra settings ?

The only setting is

Select if you do not want DASH streams

and the box is UNchecked

I can get the programs using Get iPlayer Automator, a Mac front end to get_iplayer. Don't know if that info is useful to you, but at least it lets me listen, though it is less convenient than using an LMS plugin.

bpa
2018-09-16, 15:44
The only setting is

Select if you do not want DASH streams

and the box is UNchecked

I can get the programs using Get iPlayer Automator, a Mac front end to get_iplayer. Don't know if that info is useful to you, but at least it lets me listen, though it is less convenient than using an LMS plugin.

If you can play BBCiPlayer "live" or "Listen Again" program from the local radio and through BBCiPlasyerExtra you can get down to names and episodes of a program with a "playable" indicator - then the bulk of the plugins are working.

The "no items in playlist" used to occur with old 1.* versions of the plugin and not V2.0.0 but the DASH setting indicates a good version. The other main reason for no items is a network timeout.

Specifically what programs are you trying to play - I'd like to test.
Any messages in the server.log file ?

mrw
2018-09-16, 18:58
Seems to have been a bit of tidying up going on.

The attached patch to menu.opml seems to restore normal service...

mrw
2018-09-16, 19:08

And here's my revised menu.opml, in full, for normal people who don't do patches. I'm not sure if this is in sync with the current version of the plugin, though, but it might help some.

castalla
2018-09-16, 21:02
And here's my revised menu.opml, in full, for normal people who don't do patches. I'm not sure if this is in sync with the current version of the plugin, though, but it might help some.

Brilliant ... artwork missing for me.

ChipMonk
2018-09-16, 23:27

Many thanks mrw - yep it works here too, albeit without the artwork. But I'm catching up again.

Great Work

Chip

harrys
2018-09-16, 23:51

thankyou thankyou thankyou :)

expectingtofly
2018-09-17, 00:03

Thanks

So essentially they have changed the name of the xml file from: (as per the documentation here (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=111sRKv1WO78E9Mf2Km91JNCzfbmfU0QApsZyvnRYFm U))

radio1.xml
1xtra.xml
radio2.xml
6music.xml
radio3.xml
radio4.xml
radio4extra.xml
fivelive.xml
sportsextra.xml
asiannetwork.xml

to

bbc_radio_one.xml
bbc_radio_two.xml
bbc_radio_one.xml
bbc_radio_three.xml
bbc_radio_fourfm.xml
bbc_radio_five_live.xml
etc...

Although obviously more consistent, this strikes me as a bizarre thing to do, and smacks as an oversight when somebody made some code changes. I wonder if we will see it change back again in the next couple of days!

slartibartfast
2018-09-17, 00:12
Thanks

So essentially they have changed the name of the xml file from: (as per the documentation here (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=111sRKv1WO78E9Mf2Km91JNCzfbmfU0QApsZyvnRYFm U))

radio1.xml
1xtra.xml
radio2.xml
6music.xml
radio3.xml
radio4.xml
radio4extra.xml
fivelive.xml
sportsextra.xml
asiannetwork.xml

to

bbc_radio_one.xml
bbc_radio_two.xml
bbc_radio_one.xml
bbc_radio_three.xml
bbc_radio_fourfm.xml
bbc_radio_five_live.xml
etc...

Although obviously more consistent, this strikes me as a bizarre thing to do, and smacks as an oversight when somebody made some code changes. I wonder if we will see it change back again in the next couple of days!

The national station file names now have the same format as the local stations. I suppose that makes sense.

florca
2018-09-17, 01:33
I wonder if we will see it change back again in the next couple of days!

I guess the ideal would be for both old and new URLs to resolve to the same document, but can only hope...

Phil

bpa
2018-09-17, 01:36

After past few days, nice to log on to good news

How did you find out - trial and error or a hint somewhere ?

I'll do an update to the plugin files so that everybody on 1.5.* gets update notice and new installers get good also the feed now does 30 days so plugin needs an update to add some dates to the days.

It now seems BBC has done a good thing - although implementing a http redirect would have been nice.

bpa
2018-09-17, 01:39
The national station file names now have the same format as the local stations. I suppose that makes sense.

More than that I think it aligns with the station ID used all over BBC feeds and under the covers.

I think missing artwork may be another small change.

slartibartfast
2018-09-17, 01:49
After past few days, nice to log on to good news

I'll do an update to the plugin files so that everybody on 1.5.* gets update notice and new installers get good also the feed now does 30 days so plugin needs an update to add some dates to the days.

It now seems BBC has done a good thing - although implementing a http redirect would have been nice.I just tried a local station and noticed 30 days listed but when I choose a day no items are listed.

slartibartfast
2018-09-17, 01:52
I just tried a local station and noticed 30 days listed but when I choose a day no items are listed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TapatalkNever mind it seems to be an issue with Orange Squeeze. Weird.

danco
2018-09-17, 02:02

Works for me (with an old Squeezebox, so no artwork could be available). Many thanks.

I haven't checked any further about my problem with BBC iPlayer Extra given that the standard BBC iPlayer is now working.

bpa
2018-09-17, 02:06
Works for me (with an old Squeezebox, so no artwork could be available). Many thanks.

I haven't checked any further about my problem with BBC iPlayer Extra given that the standard BBC iPlayer is now working.
I wouldn't bother with Extra unless you want the archive of programs like Desert island Disks or In our Time.

About a years ago, BBC indicated that the feed Extra uses would be going away - perhaps the changeover from 7days to 30days of the other feed is prelim or it could be just aligning with podcast validity and a change of T&Cs with "artists".

florca
2018-09-17, 02:06
Never mind it seems to be an issue with Orange Squeeze. Weird.

I think they've done something horrid to the programme icons? All works fine on SB3 / Boom and through the default web browser interface, but it breaks (at least..) the Radio (and Touch?), Joggler / Squeezeplay skin and Orange Squeeze. You can now navigate through to a day or programme, but my Radio & Joggler won't display or play any programmes. Good that it now shows 30-day availability, although probably need a way to display dates as well as day names? Will do some more digging.

Phil

bpa
2018-09-17, 02:15
I think they've done something horrid to the programme icons? All works fine on SB3 / Boom and through the default web browser interface, but it breaks (at least..) the Joggler / Squeezeplay skin and Orange Squeeze. You can now navigate through to a day or programme, but the Joggler won't display or play any programmes. Good that it now shows 30-day availability, although probably need a way to dispaly dates as well as day names? Will do some more digging.

I'll be doing an upodate - adding date text shoudl be easy as it in the source feed.

Images may take a bit of time to find a jpg - BBC now prefers svg for logos.

castalla
2018-09-17, 02:25
The artwork .... as far as I can see the earlier and latest xml uses the same source

http://radio-service-information.api.bbci.co.uk/logos/bbc_radio_one/600x600.png (original)

http://radio-service-information.api.bbci.co.uk/logos/bbc_radio_one/600x600.png (new)

johndpar
2018-09-17, 02:26
Hi

Looks like the logo in the opml is still available e.g.

icon="http://radio-service-information.api.bbci.co.uk/logos/bbc_radio_two/600x600.png"

still gets you the radio 2 logo

Program (episode) images are listed in the xml, e.g

<entry pid="m00008yz">
<key>37658e2f21ddebfb53dd6738b1dae994c58b9e1f</key>
<pid>m00008z0</pid>
<service>bbc_radio_two</service>
<title>Claudia on Sunday: Sara Pascoe</title>
<synopsis>
Claudia Winkleman talks to comedian Sara Pascoe about her new tour.
</synopsis>
<availability start="2018-09-02T20:00:00Z" end="2018-10-02T20:00:00Z">
<territories>
<territory>nonuk</territory>
<territory>uk</territory>
</territories>
</availability>
<broadcast pid="p06j1jz6" version_pid="m00008yz" imi="imi:amp.bbc.co.uk/200/7907E30C-2CC2-4287-8529-F20B84C4ACF2" start="2018-09-02T18:00:00Z" end="2018-09-02T20:00:00Z" duration="7200"/>
<parents>
<parent pid="b0769t3w" type="Brand">Claudia on Sunday</parent>
</parents>
<links>
<link transferformat="dash" type="mediaselector">
http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-syndication-dash/proto/http/vpid/m00008yz
</link>
<link transferformat="hls" type="mediaselector">
http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/vpid/m00008yz/mediaset/audio-syndication/proto/http
</link>
</links>
<images>
<image entity_type="episode" entity_pid="m00008z0">
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/512x288/p05nc9dl.jpg
</image>
<image entity_type="series" entity_pid=""/>
<image entity_type="brand" entity_pid="b0769t3w">
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/512x288/p05nc9dl.jpg
</image>
</images>
</entry>

contains a couple of images, both of which resolve and display ok.

Hope this helps

John

slartibartfast
2018-09-17, 02:28
I think they've done something horrid to the programme icons? All works fine on SB3 / Boom and through the default web browser interface, but it breaks (at least..) the Radio (and Touch?), Joggler / Squeezeplay skin and Orange Squeeze. You can now navigate through to a day or programme, but my Radio & Joggler won't display or play any programmes. Good that it now shows 30-day availability, although probably need a way to display dates as well as day names? Will do some more digging.

Phil

Hmm yes Radio doesn't display any items either. Good luck with the digging.

bpa
2018-09-17, 02:41
Hmm yes Radio doesn't display any items either. Good luck with the digging.

Images issues is minor as well - BBC just added a few more images (episode, series, brand) where previously there was just one (series) - in Perl terms an array instead of a scalar so code find no URL.

castalla
2018-09-17, 02:45
Images issues is minor as well - BBC just added a few more images (episode, series, brand) where previously there was just one (series) - in Perl terms an array instead of a scalar so code find no URL.

To my simple mind, it all smacks of 'If it ain't broke ...' or 'Kevin' has been let loose on tidying up the code

florca
2018-09-17, 02:46

Great news! Thanks as ever for keeping it updated in the face of ongoing BBC changes..

slartibartfast
2018-09-17, 03:01
Images issues is minor as well - BBC just added a few more images (episode, series, brand) where previously there was just one (series) - in Perl terms an array instead of a scalar so code find no URL.Does that mean you know how to fix it? [emoji3] At the moment even local radio listen again cannot be played from the Radio UI.

bpa
2018-09-17, 03:04
Does that mean you know how to fix it? [emoji3] At the moment even local radio listen again cannot be played from the Radio UI.
Images was easy to fix.
Next on the list is adding dates.
Then check all the feeds and the corner cases and look for any other "changes" - this takes longest.
However the real world needs attention so it'll be this evening before I put out an update.

castalla
2018-09-17, 03:10
Images was easy to fix.
Next on the list is adding dates.
Then check all the feeds and the corner cases and look for any other "changes" - this takes longest.
However the real world needs attention so it'll be this evening before I put out an update.

This evening!!!???!!! as always, a million thanks!

ps: while you're at it, can you fix the border issue also

bpa
2018-09-17, 03:58
ps: while you're at it, can you fix the border issue also

Didn't the Tory ERG have the solution - do the border check 5miles inside the real border !! (FYI 300 crossings on a 310mile border vs Sweden/Norway 80 crossings & 1010mile border)

castalla
2018-09-17, 04:02
Didn't the Tory ERG have the solution - do the border check 5miles inside the real border !! (FYI 300 crossings on a 310mile border vs Sweden/Norway 80 crossings & 1010mile border)

Reece-Smugg has a solution for everything - go back to the 17th century.

mrw
2018-09-17, 04:21

Unfortunately there's more to it. The aod availability xml document has undergone some changes/enhancements.

A) The "Icon" structure has changed in a manner that breaks Jive browsing. I didn't spot this last night.
B) The listing now includes about a month's worth of programmes, which is too much for me. A week suits me.

The attached patch to BBCXMLParser.pm implements changes that:

Fix the icon, & Jive browsing issue,
Limit the programmes to the last seven days.

I've also uploaded my current BBCXMLParser.pm.

I hope my patch is sufficient. Something else may turn up, though...

EDIT:

I see that bpa is already on the case.

mrw
2018-09-17, 04:27

Hints from this thread followed by perusal of working feeds followed by trial & error. Agree on redirect.

Ran into the Jive/Icon issue this morning, see separate post.
Also, I think one month of programmes is far too long a listing ! Others may disagree.

bpa
2018-09-17, 04:34
Hints from this thread followed by perusal of working feeds followed by trial & error. Agree on redirect.

Ran into the Jive/Icon issue this morning, see separate post.
Also, I think one month of programmes is far too long a listing ! Others may disagree.
I wondered whether "redirect" may have been in use for a period - just never noticed it.

My gut feel was an URL change - just didn't twig station name change especially after being told local radio still worked.

I've come up with a similar solution - prefer to update XMLin for images array and will stick with 30 day as I think Extra feed may go away.

ChipMonk
2018-09-17, 04:38
mrw and bpa - you guys are brilliant. One never gets anything like the same support or rapid response from vendors or suppliers, even when it's their own screw-up. My good old Squeezebox system, ever growing in both size and complexity, continues to outperform anything else on the market and take, in it's stride, all that the BBC et al throw at it.

And all because of the sterling efforts of you folks.

I am very, very grateful to you all.

Chip

castalla
2018-09-17, 04:45
I wondered whether "redirect" may have been in use for a period - just never noticed it.

My gut feel was an URL change - just didn't twig station name change especially after being told local radio still worked.

I've come up with a similar solution - prefer to update XMLin for images array and will stick with 30 day as I think Extra feed may go away.

Would a 7/30 day option be possible in settings ?

bpa
2018-09-17, 04:51
Would a 7/30 day option be possible in settings ?

More code , more testing - more feedback somebody will want 14 days. I think I may make it a filter in the opml.

mrw
2018-09-17, 04:54

May I request a user configurable 'day limit' ? Reason is that my poor old SheevaPlug will totally grind to a halt with 30 day listings. As might some other older NAS.

I've been leery in the past of adjusting XMLin in case there are unexpected 'side effects' on other parts of the structure. But I haven't looked at it in ages, and I always forget quite how it works.

I did start to look at the BBC regular schedule listings. There's a nice bit of JSON embedded in the html at present, which could be helpful. Perhaps food for future thought.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use LWP::Simple;
use JSON::PP;
use Data::Dump;

my $channel_id = 'p00fzl7j'; # Radio 4 FM
my $schedule_date = '2018/w37';
$schedule_date = 'last_week';
$schedule_date = 'this_week';
my $url = "https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/${channel_id}/${schedule_date}";

my $html = get($url);
# thanks to get_iplayer
my $blob = $1 if $html =~ /<script type="application\/ld\+json">(.+?)<\/script>/s;
unless ($blob =~ /\w/) {
print "No JSON-LD\n";
exit 1;
}

my @entries = @{$json->{'@graph'}};
Data::Dump::dump(@entries);

ozzfest
2018-09-17, 04:56
Thanx to all for the hard work
Can u tell me in laymanís terms how to apply the patch
I am running two servers
One on a nas and one on pc
Where do I find the files to apply the patch please
Thanx in advance

mrw
2018-09-17, 04:58
More code , more testing - more feedback somebody will want 14 days. I think I may make it a filter in the opml.

Do you see an issue with the relevant snippet in my recent draft patch ? I think could be easily adapted to be driven by a preference setting if you are minded.

bpa
2018-09-17, 05:00
Do you see an issue with the relevant snippet in my recent draft patch ? I think could be easily adapted to be driven by a preference setting if you are minded.

A new Preference setting means updating Settings.pm, the Setting html and add setting migration and then checking that setting migration works OK. I find settings a pain especially as user then twiddle them when an issue arises.

ChipMonk
2018-09-17, 05:12
As usual we are now in danger of asking you to gild the lily when, just a few hours ago, we had nowt.

bpa you do what best fits in with your timetable and priorities, and not set in motion countless tweaks, complexities and "nice to haves" which will put ever more pressure on you in the future.

Thanks again.

mrw
2018-09-17, 05:12
A new Preference setting means updating Settings.pm, the Setting html and add setting migration and then checking that setting migration works OK. I find settings a pain especially as user then twiddle them when an issue arises.

I take your points. It hadn't occurred to me that one might achieve it by defining an additional maxdays filter in the opml. Would you envisage simply 'growing' the opml with, say, a set of 7 day listing entries ?

Happy to help, if helpful.

florca
2018-09-17, 05:13
The attached patch to BBCXMLParser.pm implements changes that:

Fix the icon, & Jive browsing issue,
Limit the programmes to the last seven days.

I've also uploaded my current BBCXMLParser.pm.

I think there may be (annoying..) variations between the channels - just tried your updated BBCXMLParser.pm and it now works fine on Radio4FM but still breaks the Jive/Squeezeplay display with Radio3

Sorry to complicate things...

slartibartfast
2018-09-17, 05:20
Thanx to all for the hard work
Can u tell me in laymanís terms how to apply the patch
I am running two servers
One on a nas and one on pc
Where do I find the files to apply the patch please
Thanx in advanceI would just wait for bpa to update the plugin. Then we are all singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to reporting issues.

ChipMonk
2018-09-17, 05:22
I would just wait for bpa to update the plugin. Then we are all singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to reporting issues.

Strongly seconded.

mrw
2018-09-17, 05:29
I think there may be (annoying..) variations between the channels - just tried your updated BBCXMLParser.pm and it now works fine on Radio4FM but still breaks the Jive/Squeezeplay display with Radio3

Sorry to complicate things...

Could be result of feed caching. Try clearing cache ?

bpa
2018-09-17, 05:29
I take your points. It hadn't occurred to me that one might achieve it by defining an additional maxdays filter in the opml. Would you envisage simply 'growing' the opml with, say, a set of 7 day listing entries ?
Currently the opml entries parser attributes have an option to sort byday and reverse order - I'd just add one more to say have max number of days (excl Today) - so 7 would be same as now.

parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayer::BBCXMLParser?byday&bykey&reversedays&reverse"

I use this sort of filter on station Id in Extra plugin

parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayerExtra::ExtraAtoZJSONParser?filt er:stationid=radio1"

The same features such as byday and reverse could have been done by settings but although people ask for settings they rarely use them afterwards.
On request I've implemented settings in the past, then accidentally broken them - and nobody complained !

edit:

After throught. The opml approach has the advamtages that each menu can be customised so a user could have 3 days for 5 live and 15 days for Radio 3 or even have two menu for same station: one with 7 days and another with 30 days.

florca
2018-09-17, 06:00
Could be result of feed caching. Try clearing cache ?

That fixed it, should have tried that first - many thanks

I'll definitely update to the latest bpa version when available, but was concerned in case what looked like channel variations would require more testing.

Phil

mrw
2018-09-17, 06:18
After throught. The opml approach has the advamtages that each menu can be customised so a user could have 3 days for 5 live and 15 days for Radio 3 or even have two menu for same station: one with 7 days and another with 30 days.

I rather like that thought.

NMarshall
2018-09-17, 07:26
As usual we are now in danger of asking you to gild the lily when, just a few hours ago, we had nowt.

bpa you do what best fits in with your timetable and priorities, and not set in motion countless tweaks, complexities and "nice to haves" which will put ever more pressure on you in the future.

Thanks again.

I would like BPA to know that he's something of hero at the best of times, but the very best of the best right now. The value we all get from accessing BBCiplayer in high definition is immense.

Man in a van
2018-09-17, 08:05
mrw and bpa - you guys are brilliant.

What a team

Chapeau :)

bpa
2018-09-17, 08:08

What a team

Chapeau :)

mrw is definitley sherlock for sniffing the clues and cracking the puzzle - BBC weren't really the villain.

Man in a van
2018-09-17, 08:26
mrw is definitley sherlock for sniffing the clues and cracking the puzzle - BBC weren't really the villain.

Can we just blame "Kevin" then?

bpa
2018-09-17, 08:36
Can we just blame "Kevin" then?

Nope - not even even evil purple Kevin just a case of "oops didn't you get the memo ? "

Raymond Woodward
2018-09-17, 09:23

That sound ideals (if easily possible) but as has already been said, whatever fits in with your time/plans etc will be fine ...

--

Ray

Mr Chinnery
2018-09-17, 09:50
Nope - not even even evil purple Kevin just a case of "oops didn't you get the memo ? "

Thanks to bpa and mrw for your selfless work keeping things going.

castalla
2018-09-17, 09:55
I rather like that thought.

So, does this mean that I will be able to set the days back by 21900 days, then I'd be able to get into the Brexit spirit and listen to the BBC Home Service and the Light Programme again ?

ftlight
2018-09-17, 10:14
So, does this mean that I will be able to set the days back by 21900 days, then I'd be able to get into the Brexit spirit and listen to the BBC Home Service and the Light Programme again ?
I'm looking forward to listening to ITMA and Workers' Playtime again!

Bill

mrw
2018-09-17, 10:24

Assuredly. Or perhaps just sit on your mother's lap while waiting for the story.
http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/fauredolly.wav

bpa
2018-09-17, 10:48

In my experments screen scraping schedules you can get the schedules from a few years ago sadly there are only a few programmes available but the news ones are still around. You can relive the referendum and the promises - Yay !
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl7k/2016/06/23

bpa
2018-09-17, 13:26
I have uploaded an updated version of the BBCiPlayer plugin to handle the updated BBC feed.

The new version is V1.6.0 is just V1.5.4.5 + fix to recent problem. I have updated the test (V1.5.4.*) and release (V1.5.3) repo URLs to enable user update the plugin easily.

For users migrating from 1.5.3 - an additional feature under the "More menu" is a segment index to "Listen Again" programs and the ability to jump to a particular segment.

User of older version of 1.4 and 1.5 will have to update their repo URLs to get V1.6.0.

Up to this week (17Sep18) only 7 days of programming available. The updated BBC feed has 30 days of programming. Some users may like to have more than 7 days programming even though it can be cluttered if 30 days are shown. A level of customisation has been added to the plugin.

The following URL demonstrates menu variants on Radio 4menu. Use the BBCiPlayer plugin settings to replace the default menu and afterwards revert.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/menu-R4variants-demo.opml

For the technical user who wish to customise their own menus via the menu.opml file - the keys points are
* the options are added at the end of the "parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayer::BBCXMLParser?" as shown below.
* the main options are bykey (programs names) and byday (program schedule). Omit "byday" and there will be no schedule of programmes. Omit "bykey" and there will be no list of programme.
* There is an option for the maximum number of days to present "filter:maxdays=15" - 15 is an example - max is 30 ,default is 7
* if you have multiple menus for the same station you MUST add "nocache" option.
* Options needs to be prefixed by "&amp;"
* Triode provided additional filter options but I have never tested

Example of Schedule 15 days - as "bykey" has been omitted.

<outline text="BBC Radio 4 FM 15 day schedule" URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/bbc_radio_fourfm.xml"
icon="http://radio-service-information.api.bbci.co.uk/logos/bbc_radio_fourfm/600x600.png"
parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayer::BBCXMLParser?byday&amp;reverseday s&amp;reverse&amp;filter:service=fm&amp;filter:maxdays=15&amp;noca che" />

ChipMonk
2018-09-17, 13:46
Fantastic bpa, you're a star!

Many thanks again.

Chip

slartibartfast
2018-09-17, 13:58

Many thanks again.

ChipAgreed

AlecSp
2018-09-17, 14:03

Seconded - you've just rescued my marriage.

While the problem's been observed chez moi for a few days, I only found this thread this afternoon - and it's fixed already. Quite brilliant - and appreciated...

mike_pom
2018-09-17, 14:06
Same here - had noticed it a few days ago and bumped into this thread tonight.
The support provided by this community put to shame the big corporations.

castalla
2018-09-17, 14:15
Agreed

Seconded

bpa
2018-09-17, 14:34
What mrw's detective work showed that when this happens again, the approach should be "keep calm" and spend time researching rather than make rash assumption and rail against the BBC - at least for a few days anyhow.

psollich
2018-09-17, 23:30
I have uploaded an updated version of the BBCiPlayer plugin to handle the updated BBC feed.

The new version is V1.6.0 is just V1.5.4.5 + fix to recent problem. I have updated the test (V1.5.4.*) and release (V1.5.3) repo URLs to enable user update the plugin easily.

I'm running a Squeezebox Radio from abroad (Germany). I used to be able to get BBC iplayer podcasts via the BBC Radio applet, but the programme lists have been empty for about a week as many others have reported for other devices.

The new BBCiplayer plugin sounds amazing - is there a way I can install it on a Squeezebox Radio? I did some searching but the installation instructions for iplayer I found seemed to be referring to different Squeezebox products.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If this question has been answered elsewhere I apologise and would be grateful for the relevant pointers.

slartibartfast
2018-09-17, 23:39
I'm running a Squeezebox Radio from abroad (Germany). I used to be able to get BBC iplayer podcasts via the BBC Radio applet, but the programme lists have been empty for about a week as many others have reported for other devices.

The new BBCiplayer plugin sounds amazing - is there a way I can install it on a Squeezebox Radio? I did some searching but the installation instructions for iplayer I found seemed to be referring to different Squeezebox products.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If this question has been answered elsewhere I apologise and would be grateful for the relevant pointers.You will need to run Logitech Media Server to install the plugin. It cannot be installed on the Radio.

bpa
2018-09-17, 23:48

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If this question has been answered elsewhere I apologise and would be grateful for the relevant pointers.

Are you mixing things up.

The LMS BBC Radio applet only provides Live MP3 station - it still works and has not changed

AFAIK The 3rdparty BBC iPlayer Applet on Radio has been broken for years as it can only play FlashAAC and BBC do not provide program in Flash anymore. Radio/Touych cannot play DASH or HLS streams which is now the formats for playing "Listen Again"

BBC podcasts (MP3) are still available and I think accessible using mysqueezebox.com and the BBC podcast URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml

bpa
2018-09-17, 23:56
For the less adventurous who want 30 days availabiliy of "Listen again", you can test 15 day and 30 day option from BBCiPlayer plugin settings by changing opml file as I have uploaded to 2 more menu opml file variants.

Steps.
1. In BBCiPlayer Plugin Settings. Change the last part of URL in the "URL for menu.opml replacement" field from "default-menu.opml" to either "default-15day-menu.opml" or "default-30day-menu.opml"
i.e.
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/default-15day-menu.opml
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/default-30day-menu.opml

2. Click the "Load Menu from this URL" button. Sorry there is no feedback on the click.
3. On player/Web go back to Home, and from Home go into the Radio and then BBCiPlayer menu - the new opml will take effect.

LMS caches menu generation so if you do 2 opml menu changes in quick succession, a LMS restart may be necessary to clear cache if expected menu changes do not appear (also double check the URL used in Settings)

psollich
2018-09-18, 00:01
You will need to run Logitech Media Server to install the plugin. It cannot be installed on the Radio.

Many thanks for the quick reply. Are there any other workarounds for the current problem that could be used for the Squeezebox Radio?

bpa
2018-09-18, 00:52
Many thanks for the quick reply. Are there any other workarounds for the current problem that could be used for the Squeezebox Radio?

To my surprise - I have a quick patch for the BBC Radio Applet and it still plays "Listen Again" (I thought BBC had killed Flashaac) . I'll post the quick patch under a different thread to separate discussion & avoid confusion between plugin and applet. Further refinement may be necessary as 30 days program show up

ChipMonk
2018-09-18, 00:52
For the less adventurous who want 30 days availabiliy of "Listen again", you can test 15 day and 30 day option from BBCiPlayer plugin settings by changing opml file as I have uploaded to 2 more menu opml file variants.

Perfect - 30 day option just in time for me going away for 3 weeks! Using this "less adventurous " option, are these settings permanent? I see that the menu automatically reverts to "default opml" - I'm not sure how long the 30 day option will stay in place. Does one need to manually refresh this regularly?

Ever in your debt

Chip

Man in a van
2018-09-18, 00:55

As advised by @slartibartfast you need to run LMS as a local server.

A raspberry pi with piCorePlayer OS and LMS, is about the cheapest and most reliable solution.

Plenty of help available from folk on this forum.

Minimum list would be

rpi 3B+

Official power supply

Small size micro sd card and card reader (4gb and 8gb are getting harder to find. A good brand is Sandisk)

That would be it

Optional extras would be a case for the pi, or a dac hat of some kind to expand your player base.

An Ethernet cable connection between the pi and router is perhaps best practice, but wireless works for many people.

Oh, and a computer to perform the initial set-up

ronnie

bpa
2018-09-18, 01:03
Perfect - 30 day option just in time for me going away for 3 weeks! Using this "less adventurous " option, are these settings permanent? I see that the menu automatically reverts to "default opml" - I'm not sure how long the 30 day option will stay in place. Does one need to manually refresh this regularly?

IIRC but need to double check, they are permanent even if plugin is reinstalled/updated as new URL is saved. The default URL is shown so that users can easily reset the menu back to "as shipped" in case a manual edit of menu.opml goes wrong.

ChipMonk
2018-09-18, 01:19
IIRC but need to double check, they are permanent even if plugin is reinstalled/updated as new URL is saved. The default URL is shown so that users can easily reset the menu back to "as shipped" in case a manual edit of menu.opml goes wrong.

Excellent. Thanks

Chip

farrina
2018-09-18, 01:29
As a long term lurker (but rarely poster) on these forums could I likewise add my appreciation to bpa and mrw for your selfless work keeping things going and express my delight at the fix that has been deployed overnight.

florca
2018-09-18, 03:12
All working perfectly again - many thanks to mrw & bpa.

Had a quick play around with alternative filtered menu.opml files but in the end decided that the default works fine so why complicate things. FWIW I'd prefer to keep the Settings options as they are and provide "hardcore" customisation via the opml file for those who need it, understand the tradeoffs and are prepared to maintain it themselves - KISS!.

Thanks again

Phil

alveus
2018-09-18, 03:14
Default 7 day option works OK but 15-day and 30-day option not working for me. Still showing only 7 days on Radio 4 FM. Have tried various permutations of restarting/rebooting server but to no avail - still only shows 7 days

LMS 7.7.5 on Windows 7, BBCiPlayer 1.6.0

florca
2018-09-18, 03:17
Default 7 day option works OK but 15-day and 30-day option not working for me. Still showing only 7 days on Radio 4 FM. Have tried various permutations of restarting/rebooting server but to no avail - still only shows 7 days

Try deleting cache.db after stopping LMS, then restart - location of your cache.db shown in LMS/Settings/Information

kidstypike
2018-09-18, 03:23

<Removed>

bpa
2018-09-18, 03:38
Enter "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/default-30day-menu.opml" in the box, click "apply" bottom right. DO NOT click the "Load Menu From This URL" button.

No - The menu is only overwritten by the "load button" not the "Apply" button.

bpa
2018-09-18, 03:41

Double check the name of the file you typed in - if it is wrong - no change. If error there should be an error logged in log file.

LMS caches menu generation so a change in layout may appear not to take place until cache expires (very long time for menus as it depends on changes of the BBC URL) .

When testing - try a different station menu that has NEVER been looked at before each time - there are loads includign local station.

kidstypike
2018-09-18, 03:43
No - The menu is only overwritten by the "load button" not the "Apply" button.

Ops sorry!

Well I tried everything, but nothing worked for me until I hit the "apply" button, probably just coincidence. :confused:

ChipMonk
2018-09-18, 03:46
Whilst, quick rightly, we're all very appreciative of the sterling efforts of bpa and mrw to keep the BBC Player working so brilliantly, let's not forget that it was Triode who first set this up, along with lots of other Squeezebox tweaks and innovations. His presence in these fora is greatly missed - who knows what other innovations may have come our way?

Does anyone know what became of Triode, why he is no longer able to participate in the Squeezebox Project? I have no desire to pry into any private problems but, like many in this forum, I have a genuine interest in what became of the person who provided so much for this community.

If you ever monitor these pages Triode - thanks again for everything - I use your innovations almost every day of my life.

Chip

bpa
2018-09-18, 03:46
Ops sorry!

Well I tried everything, but nothing worked for me until I hit the "apply" button, probably just coincidence. :confused:
It may work sometimes but it is not as intended. It's been a long time since I wrote the code but IIRC due to update problems with Apply I had to implement a special "load button" - not pretty it is rarely used.

alveus
2018-09-18, 03:53
I've tried all the suggestions except deleting the cache.db but will have to wait now until she-who-must-be-obeyed finishes listening to the Archers Omnibus. Standby.......

bpa
2018-09-18, 03:57
I've tried all the suggestions except deleting the cache.db but will have to wait now until she-who-must-be-obeyed finishes listening to the Archers Omnibus. Standby.......

I hope you are not trying the same station each time.. If there is another instance of BBCiPlayer menu open (e.g Archers) then update may not take effect as it is cached.

alveus
2018-09-18, 04:51
So the cache was the problem. The problem manifested itself before The Archers was started, but now it has finished I closed down LMS, deleted cache.db, and restarted. Lo and behold - 30 days of listings.

I've now gone from zero to hero (thanks all, and especially bpa who will definitely get his reward in Heaven) but don't think for a minute I'm going to share the credit here at home - opportunities like this are few and far between!

bpa
2018-09-18, 04:56

Try the following. Listen Again works with a local LMS but "Live radio" locks up the system.
Download the attach file and unzip and then using scp replace BBCRadioApplet.lua in the Touch

I use the following command on Ubuntu - the ip address of Touch will vary

scp -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 BBCRadioApplet.lua root@192.168.1.55:/usr/share/jive/applets/BBCRadio/BBCRadioApplet.lua

Make sure you go back to Home menu to ensure updated file is re-read.

Krisbee
2018-09-18, 05:26
A big big thank you to bpa for the new version of the BBC iPlayer plugin and mrw for digging into cause of the problem. I have v 1.6.0 installed & working with 30 days listing on my main LMS.

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1451370756 @ Tue Dec 29 06:41:59 UTC 2015
Hostname: sweep.local.com
Server IP Address: 192.168.0.201
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.20.3 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
Total Players Recognized: 2

Yet to test other LMS instances installed on laptop, etc. Long live LMS and all the talented contributers.

mrw
2018-09-18, 05:49
BBC podcasts (MP3) are still available and I think accessible using mysqueezebox.com and the BBC podcast URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/opml/bbc_podcast_opml.opml

The BBC server tells us that the "correct" URL for this podcast listing is now http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts.opml. The URL bpa provides does work, but the server redirects us with a code 301 response - "Moved Permanently". So bpa's historical URL might just go stale - a circumstance which is somewhat pertinent to this whole thread. :)

I also note that, even with the "correct" URL, the server tells us: "X-Deprecation-Notice: This feed is marked for deprecation. Do not use". Hopefully a replacement will be provided when or if it does eventually go. I have used it for some years.

psollich
2018-09-18, 05:52
Try the following. Listen Again works with a local LMS but "Live radio" locks up the system.
Download the attach file and unzip and then using scp replace BBCRadioApplet.lua in the Touch

I use the following command on Ubuntu - the ip address of Touch will vary

scp -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 BBCRadioApplet.lua root@192.168.1.55:/usr/share/jive/applets/BBCRadio/BBCRadioApplet.lua

Make sure you go back to Home menu to ensure updated file is re-read.

Seems to have worked perfectly - I replaced also a second copy of the file that was in /mnt/storage/usr/share/... and it worked after a reboot.

I seem to now have got 30 days' worth of listen again - not what I was after originally, but very useful!

Many many thanks - this could be a marriage saver...

PS: I seem to have got a possibly related issue where on listen again the bass suddenly disappears from the signal - this is mostly but not always fixed by switching to a live station and then back to iplayer. Could this be linked to the change of format that your update fixed?

Weystoner
2018-09-18, 05:59
Just the biggest of thank-yous to bpa and mrw for sorting this - marital harmony is now restored. When the problem first appeared a few days ago, I went through my one of periodic 'should I be changing to a different streaming solution' ruminations. But there's nothing else out there that touches LMS for versatility, and it's thanks to you two and others that makes it such a gem.

bpa
2018-09-18, 06:02
Seems to have worked perfectly - I replaced also a second copy of the file that was in /mnt/storage/usr/share/... and it worked after a reboot.

I seem to now have got 30 days' worth of listen again - not what I was after originally, but very useful!
BBC made this 30day change and I didn''t want to update too much of the Applet code so I just added dates to weekdays to help.[/quote]

PS: I seem to have got a possibly related issue where on listen again the bass suddenly disappears from the signal - this is mostly but not always fixed by switching to a live station and then back to iplayer. Could this be linked to the change of format that your update fixed?
Not possible - all that I changes was an URL where to find the exact same files as last week.

Bass is not separate in anyway in the incoming signal. Bass suddenly disappearing seems like hardware problem.

Applet plays 48kps AAC. The Applet is on its last days as BBC remove support for the format. The LMS plugin gives access to higher quality streams typically 96kbps for non UK - better for UK listeners.

mrw
2018-09-18, 06:07

This issue has been noted on the Radio thread (I think). Switching to a stream with a different audio sample rate does fix the problem, because the jive-alsa program on the Radio effectively resets the sound chip when the sample rate is changed.

If you can determine what actually triggers the problem, you will be my hero. I haven't experienced it in a while (I have two radios, both impacted), and it is/was only very occasional. My initial, tentative, hypothesis was that it is hardware related. But it may well have something to do with some weirdness related to particular streams.

slartibartfast
2018-09-18, 06:15

This thread deals with the bass issue.
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104141-Bass-amp-problem
If this is the first time you've experienced it you have been lucky.

martinshaw
2018-09-18, 06:15
Thanks bpa you're a star

diddy
2018-09-18, 06:56
hi all,

i want to install the new plugin on my touch but i seem to have lost the "restart" option for LMS on my synology DS215j.can someone please explain how i can do it?

thanks,diddy

bpa
2018-09-18, 07:01
hi all,

i want to install the new plugin on my touch but i seem to have lost the "restart" option for LMS on my synology DS215j.can someone please explain how i can do it?

thanks,diddy

What version of plugin are you currently running ?

Look at LMS webUI / Settings/Plugin - the version of BBCiPlayer will be displayed ?

For 1.4.* and 1.5.* - you need to update the repo URL at the bottom of the PLugins tab to
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/betarelease-repo.xml

diddy
2018-09-18, 07:06
many thanks,bpa now all sorted!

diddy

NMarshall
2018-09-18, 07:09
We're about to go off on a four week dive trip, so I'm profoundly grateful for that 30 day option. Works a treat and so very useful. Thanks!

moletteuk
2018-09-18, 11:48
Iplayer sorted for me now, thank you very much.

(I've gone for the 14 day option but appreciated having the choice, the more days you have, the more cumbersome the scrolling in the menu, but I do occasionally want to go back further than 7 days, so great to have the option. The option in the settings worked well for me as a low tech person, except that my cache.db was hard to find, but that was only due to my awkward LMS setup.)

castalla
2018-09-18, 21:37
I've just noticed that the programme times appear to be linked to the PC time and are not listed with the actual BBC schedule time. For example, I'm BST +1 (CEST) so the Midnight News is listed as 01.00 ...

Paul Webster
2018-09-18, 22:12
Arguably correct though since that is the time that it was on chez vous.

castalla
2018-09-18, 22:23
Arguably correct though since that is the time that it was on chez vous.

Agreed, but a jet-lagged user in Tuvalu is going to be pretty confused by the listings!

bpa
2018-09-18, 23:40
I've just noticed that the programme times appear to be linked to the PC time and are not listed with the actual BBC schedule time. For example, I'm BST +1 (CEST) so the Midnight News is listed as 01.00 ...
I have not changed the code outputting the time. It is the same as in previous releases and the arguments remain the same as in the past.

The user in Tuvalu who wants to listen to BBC Midinight news live - will not wait until midnight local time so I think it is reasonable in "Listen Again" to show the local time a program was broadcasted.

castalla
2018-09-19, 01:19
I have not changed the code outputting the time. It is the same as in previous releases and the arguments remain the same as in the past.

The user in Tuvalu who wants to listen to BBC Midinight news live - will not wait until midnight local time so I think it is reasonable in "Listen Again" to show the local time a program was broadcasted.

Strange - I never noticed the listings were pushed forward by an hour previously.

bpa
2018-09-19, 01:49
Strange - I never noticed the listings were pushed forward by an hour previously.

I double checked - the code has not changed since at least 1.3 - the broadcast time which is in UTC is converted using Perl localtime to get hours and mins etc.

After those discussion years ago - I always thought the "listen Again" schedule was shown in "BBC" time (i.e. GMT or BST as appropiate) but it is Triodes code and I never checked or tested.

castalla
2018-09-19, 02:08
I double checked - the code has not changed since at least 1.3 - the broadcast time which is in UTC is converted using Perl localtime to get hours and mins etc.

After those discussion years ago - I always thought the "listen Again" schedule was shown in "BBC" time (i.e. GMT or BST as appropiate) but it is Triodes code and I never checked or tested.

BBC time - that sounds marvellous ! Taking back control instead of all this foreign UTC stuff ....

bpa
2018-09-19, 02:13
BBC time - that sounds marvellous ! Taking back control instead of all this foreign UTC stuff ....

After the 1916 Rising - House of commons abolished Dublin Mean Time which was 25 mins behind Greenwich Mean Time and introduced a single time zone.

Man in a van
2018-09-19, 02:23
Agreed, but a jet-lagged user in Tuvalu is going to be pretty confused by the listings!

No, he or she will be humming that song fro Dexeys Midnight runners Greatest Hits.

I know I am :rolleyes:

Paco Jones
2018-09-19, 10:31
Thanks to bpa and mrw, the iPlayer plugin is one of the best things about my Duets, can't live without it!

And thanks to Triode, wherever he may be.

FLACforever
2018-09-20, 03:27
Thanks to bpa and mrw, the iPlayer plugin is one of the best things about my Duets, can't live without it!

And thanks to Triode, wherever he may be.

Seconded! Brilliant work guys. My world order has been restored.

castalla
2018-09-20, 15:59
Is this a new error message originating with the recent update? Looks nasty as it's in RED in the log!

Plugins::BBCiPlayer::BBCOnAir::__ANON__ (188) error fetching BBCOnAir data while playing so try fetching again

Can't recall ever seeing BBCOnAir referenced before.

bpa
2018-09-20, 16:01
Is this a new error message originating with the recent update? Looks nasty as it's in RED in the log!

Plugins::BBCiPlayer::BBCOnAir::__ANON__ (188) error fetching BBCOnAir data while playing so try fetching again

Can't recall ever seeing BBCOnAir referenced before.

It is fetched all the time about every 30 secs for live stations as it is provides some of the metadata such program name or track currently playing.

castalla
2018-09-20, 16:06
It is fetched all the time about every 30 secs for live stations as it is provides some of the metadata such program name or track currently playing.

Okay! Thanks.

anotherbob
2018-09-21, 01:31
Okay! Thanks.

Have only just become aware of the problem with Listen Again.
Could someone help by pointing me at a post in this thread which will instruct me in what I need to do to restore this capability.

My version of LMS is 7.7.5
My version of the iplayer plugin is 1.4.10
My on demand stream prefs are DASH>HLS>MP3>FLASHAAC

I would gladly explore the thread myself but I'm afraid my understanding is such that I would probably miss the stuff I need.

Also, I found this.....
bpa's BBCiPlayer 1.4.10 is in sunset support - please upgrade to V1.5.* using betarelease-repo.xml
...when I was looking through the settings. I don't know how this is done.

Also.....
Should I tick the box by "Update plugins automatically"?

I add my thanks to the volunteers who keep this stuff working.

bpa
2018-09-21, 01:32
Could someone help by pointing me at a post in this thread which will instruct me in what I need to do to restore this capability.

I would gladly explore the thread myself but I'm afraid my understanding is such that I would probably miss the stuff I need.

Also, I found this.....
bpa's BBCiPlayer 1.4.10 is in sunset support - please upgrade to V1.5.* using betarelease-repo.xml

Also.....

I add my thanks to the volunteers who keep this stuff working.

Since you are using 1.4.* in The WebUI Settings/Plugin tab - at the bottom you probably have an url like

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/repo-short.xml

This URL needs to be replaced by the URL

and then click Apply. The plugin list should be updates and a BBCiPlayer entry will have 1.6.0 - it may need tot be "activated". If you do not see 1.6 then the repo URL updates hasn't worked- double check.

Checking the box "Update plugins automatically" affects all plugins - so it is personal choice but it will not upgrade 1.4 to 1.6.

slartibartfast
2018-09-21, 01:39

Also, I found this.....

Also.....

I add my thanks to the volunteers who keep this stuff working.Add this repo to update to 1.6
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=921121

anotherbob
2018-09-21, 02:18
Since you are using 1.4.* in The WebUI Settings/Plugin tab - at the bottom you probably have an url like

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/repo-short.xml

and then click Apply. The plugin list should be updates and a BBCiPlayer entry will have 1.6.0 - it may need tot be "activated". If you do not see 1.6 then the repo URL updates hasn't worked- double check.

Checking the box "Update plugins automatically" affects all plugins - so it is personal choice but it will not upgrade 1.4 to 1.6.

Thank you so much :o

That went like clockwork......

(If only it was, I understand that)

bpa
2018-09-21, 06:30
Can UK users please confirm, for me - non-UK the feed has reverted back to 7 days - nolonger 30 days.

First line of data feed

<schedule updated="2018-09-21T11:07:28Z" start_date="2018-09-14T05:00:00Z" end_date="2018-09-23T05:00:00Z" network="bbc_radio_fourfm">

SpiderJon
2018-09-21, 06:49

and then click Apply. The plugin list should be updates and a BBCiPlayer entry will have 1.6.0 ...

I've just updated to 1.6.0.

Now, when I play 'listen again' radio programmes (ie, not live streams), I get titles like

"Yes Minister: Series 1: The Devil You Know - 25625564 mins delay"

That's about 49.3 years :-)

Plus, since it's not a live stream, there isn't a delay anyway. (Live streams show the "1 mins delay" I'd expect, as that's what I've set in the options.)

It doesn't seem to cause any problems with playing the programme -- just wondering what the explanation is.

(Thanks, as ever, to bpa for all the hard work.)

florca
2018-09-21, 06:54
Can UK users please confirm, for me - non-UK the feed has reverted back to 7 days - nolonger 30 days.

First line of data feed

<schedule updated="2018-09-21T11:07:28Z" start_date="2018-09-14T05:00:00Z" end_date="2018-09-23T05:00:00Z" network="bbc_radio_fourfm">

Looks the same in the UK - here's the first line from a UK IP:

<schedule updated="2018-09-21T12:07:57Z" start_date="2018-09-14T05:00:00Z" end_date="2018-09-23T05:00:00Z" network="bbc_radio_fourfm">

Phil

florca
2018-09-21, 07:00
My guess is that providing 30 days blew up the memory or some other limit on one of the Internet Radio / commercial users...

bpa
2018-09-21, 07:59
My guess is that providing 30 days blew up the memory or some other limit on one of the Internet Radio / commercial users...

Quite possible -the relevant radios are so old now nobody wanted to update their firmware - but if that is the case there will be problem with images as there was a small change in the XML.

bpa
2018-09-21, 08:03

Now, when I play 'listen again' radio programmes (ie, not live streams), I get titles like

Plus, since it's not a live stream, there isn't a delay anyway. (Live streams show the "1 mins delay" I'd expect, as that's what I've set in the options.)

It doesn't seem to cause any problems with playing the programme -- just wondering what the explanation is.

2nd person to notice this. Strange as the "delay" should only appear on live streams. A bit more detail and context will help
was sort of player ? Waht OS ?
Was this player playing a live stream before hand ? and/or was powered off ?

I think the large number is result of an unsigned integer being treated as signed integer

bpa
2018-09-21, 08:14

Are there any BBCiplayer plugin messages in the server log such as error getting BBCOnAir data.