PDA

View Full Version : Logitech UE Smart Radio completely dead - any hardware support?

mucbox
2018-09-06, 13:00
Hi,

I have three Squeezebox devices, a UE Smart Radio, an older Squeezebox Radio and a Squeezebox Touch. To my dismay, the newest of the three, the UE Smart Radio packed in completely. No display, no sound (not even a little 'click' in the speaker when you connect it to a power source), no nothing!

Given that there is no official support for the hardware anymore, I had a bit of a go at it, trying to figure out what's wrong. My first guess was the power adapter and/or battery, but both seem to work fine as far as I can tell/measure (reasonable voltage across the terminals). However, after taking the radio completely apart, I could not find any voltage at any of the various components soldered to the PCB, so I still suspect that the fault is rather basic and has something to do with the power circuitry. Is there any documentation for the PCB or experience with this kind of fault?

So far I have mainly tried to compare the (working) Squeezebox Radio with the broken UE Smart Radio (without breaking the former). I always thought the hardware is practically identical and was surprised to find a few differences. In my Squeezebox Radio the rechargeable battery is plugged directly into a socket on the PCB. For the UE Smart Radio, it is plugged into a connector on the inside of the battery cover, from where a cable leads on to the PCB. I opened the little connector box just to find that it contains no active components, just a small PCB connecting the input socket to the output cable?! All connectors have the same shape (i.e. you can bypass the connector box) and the batteries also look exactly the same. In fact, despite the fact that I bought the UE Radio more than a year later, the batteries are dated only a few month apart (or even the same?)! Any idea what has changed here and why? What I also found surprising is that the "new" battery does not seem to work in the old radio and vice versa. Something must have changed in the supply circuitry - or the battery and radio gave up at the same time!

Anyhow, I would appreciate any insight into how to revive a dead UE Smart Radio. The other two feel lonely ...

Mnyb
2018-09-07, 00:23
it's worth trying without the battery conected to see if it's starts with just the powersupply

bpa
2018-09-07, 01:07
JoeMuc2009 who has repaired many SB players has had problem with Radio failing and found a cause. He suspects the battery circuit is significiant in these failures and advises not to install battery or use battery.
see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95865-Inside-Squeezebox-Radio&p=918596&viewfull=1#post918596

edit:

Forgot to say in an earlier post in the thread ( https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95865-Inside-Squeezebox-Radio&p=862112&viewfull=1#post862112 ), details of how some Radio were repaired. With this information - you might be able to find a local repair service - read the rest of that thread for other user experiences.

slartibartfast
2018-09-07, 01:29
JoeMuc2009 who has repaired many SB players has had problem with Radio failing and found a cause. He suspects the battery circuit is significiant in these failures and advises not to install battery or use battery.
see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95865-Inside-Squeezebox-Radio&p=918596&viewfull=1#post918596

edit:

Forgot to say in an earlier post in the thread ( https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95865-Inside-Squeezebox-Radio&p=862112&viewfull=1#post862112 ), details of how some Radio were repaired. With this information - you might be able to find a local repair service - read the rest of that thread for other user experiences.The connection between failures and fitted batteries is only a theory. If most Radios have batteries then the probability of a failed Radio containing a battery is high.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

bpa
2018-09-07, 01:37
The connection between failures and fitted batteries is only a theory. If most Radios have batteries then the probability of a failed Radio containing a battery is high.

Just wanted the OP to be informed of opinions. You're correct about most radio having batteries. However, there are a number of post where no battery Radios are working OK for a while until user installs and then starts using battery.

That said, the thread has a number of posts and photos which would be helpful if Radio was sent to a repair service. However, IIRC one user received a box of bits back from a repair guy - so vet any repair service beforehand .

slartibartfast
2018-09-07, 01:54
Just wanted the OP to be informed of opinions. You're correct about most radio having batteries. However, there are a number of post where no battery Radios are working OK for a while until user installs and then starts using battery.

That said, the thread has a number of posts and photos which would be helpful if Radio was sent to a repair service. However, IIRC one user received a box of bits back from a repair guy - so vet any repair service beforehand .When someone fits a battery and the Radio fails immediately I wonder if they have forced the connector on reversed. They are quite fiddly.

bpa
2018-09-07, 02:05
When someone fits a battery and the Radio fails immediately I wonder if they have forced the connector on reversed. They are quite fiddly.
Never installed thebattery in my Radio. I don't use much, mainly for test/check plugiuns etc. An odd thing I notice if my no battery Radio has not been powered on for a few months - it will not power up immediately power is applied. If I wait say 30mins - then it will power up OK. Just another quirk - don't know if it is just my unit (v. early production swapped for a beta unit).

mucbox
2018-09-11, 09:34

edit:

Forgot to say in an earlier post in the thread ( https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95865-Inside-Squeezebox-Radio&p=862112&viewfull=1#post862112 ), details of how some Radio were repaired. With this information - you might be able to find a local repair service - read the rest of that thread for other user experiences.

Thanks for the pointers to the other thread. After closer inspection of my PCB, Q3 seems to be damaged in my radio as well, which would be consistent with the observations there. I will try to contact some people for repair, as SMB soldering is beyond my tool kit!

Just for curiosity: I am still intrigued to find the differences between the original Squeezebox Radio and the UE Smart Radio. In my case, if the battery of my UE Smart Radio should be at fault for frying the U2 and/or Q3, I am somewhat confused why installing the suspect battery in the original SB Radio didn't kill the latter. Also, if this was a known issue, and the only obvious hardware change between the two is the addition of the mysterious connector box between the battery and the PCB, shouldn't that box contain some circuitry to better decouple battery problems from the power electronics? Questions, questions!?!

Bassman
2018-09-23, 16:54
Mine is one of the original Radios that never had a battery in it, and failed. It was playing along just fine on AC, then stopped playing.

davidcro
2018-12-16, 08:20
It seems a bit obvious, but when my Squeezebox died suddenly, a test of the power adaptor showed no output. A new 18v adaptor bought it back to life.

vissertw
2019-01-18, 06:29
Hi, I shall introduce myself first, I am Ton and my wife is Ria. We are living in Wormer, Holland.

We have a UE smart radio and not unhappy with it, but on some points it could be better.
Lochitech changed the battery once, so now the power supply is ok now both cable and battery and I do not think they disturb one and other.
The battery lasts approximately 3 to 4 hours.

There are three things I wonder about the radio, the first is, because we had som trouble with the wifi I went back to factory settings, but after starting up again it had the same favorites in mind.
The other thing is the screen while playing a radiostation, could anyone explain why one radio station is shown on the screen as long as it is selected and with another station the screen is only shown for a minute or so and after that we have a black screen.
The last thing matters sound, sometimes the sound is not normal, not full, sounds a bit like a bad telephone sound, then I have to start up the radio again in order to have the full sound with bass again.

Regards,

Ton.

Paul Webster
2019-01-18, 08:33
with another station the screen is only shown for a minute or so and after that we have a black screen.

Which radio station?

mrw
2019-01-18, 09:34
The last thing matters sound, sometimes the sound is not normal, not full, sounds a bit like a bad telephone sound, then I have to start up the radio again in order to have the full sound with bass again.

Sounds like this issue: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104141-Bass-amp-problem

I have found that, sometimes, choosing a different stream may switch it back to normal.
More detail (from the above thread) here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104141-Bass-amp-problem&p=925616&viewfull=1#post925616
My current guess is a software glitch in the player. I used to think it was a hardware glitch. Could be either, can't tell for sure.

vissertw
2019-01-19, 03:57
Which radio station?

It is the Dutch national news program, NPO1, and as I speak Swedish also, I listen to the Swedish national news sender SR P1 now and then, where the screen does not turn black after one minut or so.

And after I have downloaded the UE Smart Radio app on my smartphone it gives the TuneIn Radio logo on the screen, even that one disappearing after one minut when playing the Dutch program.

Regards,

Ton.

vissertw
2019-01-19, 04:00
Sounds like this issue: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104141-Bass-amp-problem

I have found that, sometimes, choosing a different stream may switch it back to normal.
More detail (from the above thread) here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104141-Bass-amp-problem&p=925616&viewfull=1#post925616
My current guess is a software glitch in the player. I used to think it was a hardware glitch. Could be either, can't tell for sure.

But how should I choose a different stream, is it a setting on the radio or must I look elsewhere?

Regards,

Ton.

mrw
2019-01-19, 11:28
But how should I choose a different stream, is it a setting on the radio or must I look elsewhere?

Regards,

Ton.
To clarify, by "different stream" I mean to say a "different radio station". I.e. try playing something else. I'm not referring any magical settings.

Sometimes this is enough to restore the bass. Sometimes it isn't.

It depends on the underlying digital format of the audio. If you should happen to strike lucky, it's quicker than starting up the radio again.

vissertw
2019-01-20, 00:38
To clarify, by "different stream" I mean to say a "different radio station". I.e. try playing something else. I'm not referring any magical settings.

Sometimes this is enough to restore the bass. Sometimes it isn't.

It depends on the underlying digital format of the audio. If you should happen to strike lucky, it's quicker than starting up the radio again.

What I meant was why does one station when selected gives a logo on the screen as long as it plays while another station only gives a logo on the screen for max one minute and then turns black. And both selected through the favorites.

They both give the TuneIn radio logo, while I used to have the logo from the station plating like NPO 1 or SR P1

Ton.

slartibartfast
2019-01-20, 01:04
What I meant was why does one station when selected gives a logo on the screen as long as it plays while another station only gives a logo on the screen for max one minute and then turns black. And both selected through the favorites.

They both give the TuneIn radio logo, while I used to have the logo from the station plating like NPO 1 or SR P1

Ton.Sounds like something to do with screen saver settings but it seems odd that the behaviour is inconsistent. Are you using the Radio as a UE smart radio or a Squeezebox Radio? I think most on here with UE radios have converted them to Squeezeboxes.

Paul Webster
2019-01-20, 05:43
It is the Dutch national news program, NPO1, and as I speak Swedish also, I listen to the Swedish national news sender SR P1 now and then, where the screen does not turn black after one minut or so.

And after I have downloaded the UE Smart Radio app on my smartphone it gives the TuneIn Radio logo on the screen, even that one disappearing after one minut when playing the Dutch program.

What do you see if you play the stream directly?
http://icecast.omroep.nl/radio1-bb-mp3

If you do not see any logo at all then it suggests that the radio station is not sending a picture link in the stream info - I don't think it is doing it.
So that would imply that the radio is getting the logo from TuneIn (I expect) but it does not explain why it disappears after a while.

Also - probably would be good if a forum moderator could move these last few posts to a completely new thread since this is not about a UE Smart Radio that is completely dead.