PDA

View Full Version : pitch too high

Dennis Duchhart
2005-01-07, 14:52
I just noticed that pitch is a few procents too high when playing through
the SB. In this case it is flac files. Any experience with this problem?
Thanks & regards,
Dennis

Triode
2005-01-07, 15:40
Dennis,

Do you stream flacs uncompressed? Check the pitch is set to 100% via the remote and reset the squeezebox (hold down power for a while). Does this cause it to go away?

Adrian
----- Original Message -----
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 9:52 PM
Subject: [slim] pitch too high

I just noticed that pitch is a few procents too high when playing through the SB. In this case it is flac files. Any experience with this problem?
Thanks & regards,
Dennis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philip Meyer
2005-01-08, 02:46
>I just noticed that pitch is a few procents too high when playing through
>the SB. In this case it is flac files. Any experience with this problem?
I have the same problem.

With pitch set at 100% (which is fine for mp3 tracks), flac tracks sound too fast. I reduce the pitch to 95%.

I haven't got too many flac files at present, so I haven't investigated what the problem is. When I get around to ripping more of my CD's to flac format (when I have more disk space!), I'll need to get to the bottom of this.

I was kind of hoping someone else would have the problem and fix it before me ;)

Phil

Triode
2005-01-08, 05:25
Phil,

See my previous post - pitch should be OK at 100% for flacs if played uncompressed. The current pitch changing code does not work
correctly for uncompressed mode.

If you find it sounds wrong when set to 100% try rebooting the squeezebox or playing an mp3 (assuming you don't do server side
decode of mp3) and then playing the flac again.

Adrian

From: "Philip Meyer" <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 9:46 AM

>I just noticed that pitch is a few procents too high when playing through
>the SB. In this case it is flac files. Any experience with this problem?
I have the same problem.

With pitch set at 100% (which is fine for mp3 tracks), flac tracks sound too fast. I reduce the pitch to 95%.

I haven't got too many flac files at present, so I haven't investigated what the problem is. When I get around to ripping more of
my CD's to flac format (when I have more disk space!), I'll need to get to the bottom of this.

I was kind of hoping someone else would have the problem and fix it before me ;)

Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-01-08, 06:32
>See my previous post - pitch should be OK at 100% for flacs if played uncompressed. The current pitch changing code does not work
>correctly for uncompressed mode.
>
What do you mean by playing compressed/uncompressed mode flacs? Are you talking about File Format Conversion? I have both FLAC entries ticked in server settings:

FLAC MP3 flac/lame
FLAC WAV flac

Does this mean the first flac entry is always performed, transforming FLAC to MP3 for streaming?

If so, are you saying that if I untick FLAC -> MP3, it will stream FLACs as WAV, and therefore play uncompressed, and therefore at the right speed?

Thanks,
Phil

Triode
2005-01-08, 06:49
Phil,

Sorry - I wasn't clear last time:

Squeezebox itself plays back in one of two modes - mp3 (mp3 compressed stream sent to it = MP3) and pcm (uncompressed stream stent
to it = WAV).
Which is used for a specific stream/file depends on which lines you have ticked in server settings *and* whether you have bitrate
limiting set for the specific player (player-audio settings) Assuming you have no bitrate limitiing set, your flacs will be
streamed as PCM (server decodes from FLAC to WAV and sends to squeezebox)

Now - assuming I have the right issue, the pitch variation code only currently works accurately with MP3 mode on the squeezebox.
Esentially the 100% pitch reference frequency is wrong for PCM mode. You can restore correct operation by causing the Squeezebox to
restart its PCM mode internal software - either by playing an mp3 and then back to Flac (causing it to switch mode and back again),
or by rebooting the squeezebox.

Would I be right in assuming that at some time in the past you have varied the pitch of this squeezebox? (If not the above it not
the correct reason)

Adrian

From: "Philip Meyer" <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 1:32 PM

>See my previous post - pitch should be OK at 100% for flacs if played uncompressed. The current pitch changing code does not work
>correctly for uncompressed mode.
>
What do you mean by playing compressed/uncompressed mode flacs? Are you talking about File Format Conversion? I have both FLAC
entries ticked in server settings:

FLAC MP3 flac/lame
FLAC WAV flac

Does this mean the first flac entry is always performed, transforming FLAC to MP3 for streaming?

If so, are you saying that if I untick FLAC -> MP3, it will stream FLACs as WAV, and therefore play uncompressed, and therefore at
the right speed?

Thanks,
Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-01-08, 10:37
>Now - assuming I have the right issue, the pitch variation code only currently works accurately with MP3 mode on the squeezebox.
>Esentially the 100% pitch reference frequency is wrong for PCM mode. You can restore correct operation by causing the Squeezebox to
>restart its PCM mode internal software - either by playing an mp3 and then back to Flac (causing it to switch mode and back again),
>or by rebooting the squeezebox.
>
>Would I be right in assuming that at some time in the past you have varied the pitch of this squeezebox? (If not the above it not
>the correct reason)
>
Okay, I'm begining to understand this a bit more now.

I have a single wireless SqueezeBox, with No Bitrate limit, so SlimServer will stream FLAC in uncompressed mode (WAV).

The only time I have ever adjusted the pitch was after first trying to play FLAC, and thinking it was playing too fast (95% pitch seems to be about right).

However, I have just tried rebooting my SqueezeBox to check. I am playing a flac track through WinAmp on the PC and comparing it with the same track playing on my SqueezeBox. The SB seems to be in time with WinAmp, so maybe this was the issue.

During playback there was a short dropout on the Squeezebox (about 5-10 secs). I paused WinAmp and when the SqueezeBox resumed I got WinAmp back in time with the SB. I noticed though that the time progress counters were out of step, so I guess that when SB is interrupted, the track time gets out of step.

Phil