PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Radio - Inverted display

joe1971
2018-08-23, 15:10
Hello - I just got a Squeezebox UE Radio off ebay for parts/not working. Decided to take a gamble since I have a couple working Radios, and if this wasn't fixable then I'd hopefully have spare parts. It actually worked, but on initial power up the UE logo looked normal, then the text went upside down and stayed that way after it booted. It appeared to be reset to factory when I received it, so I set it up far enough to change it over to the SB Radio software, then it did its own factory reset. No change, the display stayed upside down.

I took it apart to see if I could just flip the display, but that's not an option. When I powered it back up, the Logitech logo was normal for a couple seconds, then it went upside down again and that's how it stayed.

I searched and can't find anyone who's had the same issue. Has anyone heard of this, or maybe an option to get in there and invert the display in the software?

I'm happy with it for the price, but if I could get this display corrected I'd be VERY happy!!!

JoeMuc2009
2018-09-24, 08:01
Well, it's not exactly about the Radio but I had the very same with the Squeezebox Controller today. My controller failed to stay connected for some days now so I decided to move its working display into another controller that I had in my spare box and whose display has failed years ago. So I connected the display to the spare controller, only to find the display is showing everything upside down, including the boot logo. This would not recover by firmware upgrade and factory reset.
I then changed plans and connected the display back to the Controller that I have been using for years now. The vertical flip was gone. Then swapped the Wi-Fi daughter board with the spare unit, and, tada, the whole thing is back working.
So it's probably not the display that causes the vertical flip but rather the board to which it is connected. No idea how that is caused though...

joe1971
2018-09-27, 12:42
Glad you got it worked out! It's great satisfaction getting something going again - being something you use every day AND rare, makes it even better. :D

I was thinking that even though my Radio's issue is likely a hardware problem, it could be flipped in the software. So I enabled SSH and logged in through my pc, and having a slight bit of Linux experience, was hoping to find something in the init files that would allow me to flip the display, but I don't know enough so nothing stuck out to me.

JoeMuc2009
2018-09-27, 12:53
Glad you got it worked out! It's great satisfaction getting something going again - being something you use every day AND rare, makes it even better. :D

I was thinking that even though my Radio's issue is likely a hardware problem, it could be flipped in the software. So I enabled SSH and logged in through my pc, and having a slight bit of Linux experience, was hoping to find something in the init files that would allow me to flip the display, but I don't know enough so nothing stuck out to me.

Well, I imagine the display connector could have an "orientation" pin or something like that. But due to missing documentation that is impossible to find out for me. As the display is a chip-on-glass model, it has a lot of internal driver circuitry and the orientation might actually be something that the display is sent in a packet of initialization data from the main CPU.
It would not make much sense to let users flip the display. Eventually none of the SB devices is much use if held or mounted upside-down. Besides that, the display is not rotated by 180 but rather flipped around the Y axis. It won't become more readable by putting the device on its head. You would rather need a mirror or prism to counteract.
I think the software piece that represents the user interface is called jive, looks like a monolithic unix application to me. Probably no way to change its behavior from outside.

Paul Webster
2018-09-27, 13:01
I think the software piece that represents the user interface is called jive, looks like a monolithic unix application to me. Probably no way to change its behavior from outside.

The source of Jive is available ... so maybe there could be a way to counteract this in software.
There are not many experts on it here but I would imagine it would be an interesting thing to work out.

joe1971
2018-09-28, 11:07
Thanks Joe and Paul, I will definitely look at Jive and see if it's something I can handle. :cool:

Paul Webster
2018-09-28, 12:55
Try digging around in https://github.com/Logitech/squeezeplay

ralphy
2018-09-29, 03:46
There are environment variables for rotating the jive based players. See this post (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103330-Jivelite-for-piCorePlayer&p=839818&viewfull=1#post839818)
You'll need to figure out if they are supported in the logitech builds, they should be as it's part of the standard SDL library. I don't have access to my dev system to scan the firmware to confirm.
Then you'll need to find a file in /etc/init.d to add the export, there's probably one that starts jive.

Paul Webster
2018-09-29, 11:58
The SDL settings look like a good thing to try - although there does not appear to be a "flip like a mirror" option.
However, if using those does make the display change then maybe it could become part of a solution if the SDL library source and build tools for the device is available.

edit:
Maybe it needs something to invoke SDL_RendererFlip with the right parameters.
Am guessing as have no SDL knowledge.

joe1971
2019-02-19, 17:27
I found a dead SB Radio on ebay for parts for $25 shipped. I put the LCD into mine and problem solved, it was definitely the LCD. I temporarily put the old one back in just to confirm and it was upside down again. Thanks to everyone for the tips on trying to flip it in the software, but I just didn't make the time to work out if that was possible.

I now have a spare speaker, speaker grille, knobs and a white case if I ever get tired of black. :cool: And an upside down display if this one dies on me. hehehe