PDA

View Full Version : Blank screen when turned off

EEYORE
2018-08-12, 22:32
I use two Squeezebox 2s with LMS on Windows 7; I am currently using the latest nightly 7.9. I recently had a problem with getting into the Web Control but that problem was fixed when I reinstalled Firefox. But I am now having another problem with the SB2s. Both will turn on and work normally. However when both are turned off one shows the assigned SuperDateTime screensaver but the other is blank; when the "blank" SB2 is turned on all of the screens work normally. I have checked the display settings for both units in the LMS settings area and, as far as I can tell, they are identical. I have also tried installing other LMS versions over the existing installation which did not help. Any suggestions other than reinstalling LMS from scratch?

EEYORE

JJZolx
2018-08-12, 23:59
You say you've checked the display settings. Have you also checked the screensaver settings, which are on the Basic Settings page in the web interface?

EEYORE
2018-08-13, 11:03
In the Web Control the SuperDateTime settings are not in the Basic setting tab. They are in the Player and Advanced tabs. The Player tab is broken into, on my setup, two different settings page which is one for each player. As far as I can see both of the SuperDateTime settings are the same. The Advanced tab only offers a single setting page. One thing that I have discovered is that if I change the designated screensaver to the default(?) DateTime screensaver it works and show up on the screen of the "blank" unit when turned off. It seems to be SuperDateTime that is causing a problem. My next move is to replace the existing SuperDateTime. I will let you know if it helps.

Thanks,

EEYORE

EEYORE
2018-08-13, 12:25
I tried reinstalling SDT with no luck. But I found two more things. I can change the second SB back and forth between SDT and DateTime while the "Blank" SB is not affected when I change the screensaver. But I have found that, if I start the "Blank" SB, go into mysqueezebox.com and then back into LMS, the DateTime screensaver will appear on the display even though SDT is selected in the settings. This is good but I am somewhat anal and it bothers me when I cannot get things to work as they should. But I might have to bite the bullet and uninstall/reinstall LMS!

Thanks,

EEYORE

EEYORE
2018-08-14, 21:56
The blank screen saga continues. Another thing that I found is that if I stop LMS the "Blank" unit screen stays blank but the second unit shows an error message on the screen indicating that the server cannot be found. So it does not look as though SDT is the problem but has something to do with the screen when the "Blank" SB is turned off.

EEYORE

EEYORE
2018-08-15, 00:28
Perhaps another link to my problem. About 2 months ago I changed ISPs and email addresses. I had gone into mysqueezebox.com and changed the email address there and then changed it in LMS. I had not checked on the SBs shown at the mysqueezebox.com until today and found that only one of my SB2s is shown; it is the SB2 that does not have the screensaver problem. But the SB2 with the blank screen problem does not show up at the mysqueezebox.com website even though I can access mysqueezebox.com on it. I have sent an email to mysqeezebox.com support to see if they can help correct the problem. I am hoping that if they can correct the problem then it might fix my screen problem. One can only hope.

EEYORE

karlek
2018-08-15, 00:44
Perhaps another link to my problem. About 2 months ago I changed ISPs and email addresses. I had gone into mysqueezebox.com and changed the email address there and then changed it in LMS. I had not checked on the SBs shown at the mysqueezebox.com until today and found that only one of my SB2s is shown; it is the SB2 that does not have the screensaver problem. But the SB2 with the blank screen problem does not show up at the mysqueezebox.com website even though I can access mysqueezebox.com on it. I have sent an email to mysqeezebox.com support to see if they can help correct the problem. I am hoping that if they can correct the problem then it might fix my screen problem. One can only hope.

EEYORE

You could login into your old mysbc account, see if you find that „blank“ SB there and delete it.

EEYORE
2018-08-15, 16:13
karlek,

Sorry for the slow reply but I could not log in and had to contact the administrator to get on.

I do not know why I did not think of using my old email. Perhaps it is because I am an old geezer with memory problems. But that solution does not help. At first, with my poor memory, I tried to guess which email/password I was using before the switch of ISPs. No luck so I finally looked at one of my old backup files. One of my guesses had been correct but does not work. So I am back to waiting for Logitech support to fix my problem and email me.

Thanks for the suggestion,

EEYORE

karlek
2018-08-15, 16:56
So I am back to waiting for Logitech support to fix my problem and email me.

Thanks for the suggestion,

EEYORE
You’re welcome. Maybe it would be faster to PM @mherger your old mysbc-email and the SB‘s MAC-address and ask him to remove that SB from your old account.

EEYORE
2018-08-15, 18:38
karlek,

I hate to bother mherger but I might do that later tonight if I do not hear from Logitech. And I do not think that I will hear from Logitech since they really do support LMS and SBs minimally.

Thanks again,

EEYORE

mherger
2018-08-15, 21:41
> I hate to bother mherger but I might do that later tonight if I do not
> hear from Logitech. And I do not think that I will hear from Logitech
> since they really do support LMS and SBs minimally.

No worries: I'm the Logitech guy who eventually would have to deal with
support requests anyway...

--

Michael

EEYORE
2018-08-15, 22:24
Sir,

Thank you for the reply. Earlier I sent the SB2 information via PM to you. Since I have never sent one before I do not know if you received it.

Thanks again,

EEYORE

EEYORE
2018-08-15, 23:01
Sir,

I guess that I should have checked mysqueezebox.com before I left my last message. I checked and my second SB2 now shows up! However it did not correct the blank screen problem. I am now to the point of uninstalling/installing LMS which is something I was avoiding.

Thank you for all of your help,

EEYORE

alfista
2018-08-15, 23:38
Just a thought, a cursory glance at the thread I only found stuff regarding the screensaver. Check the brightness setting for the blank SB too, maybe it's set to "off" or whatever the lowest setting is.

EEYORE
2018-08-16, 00:22
Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried that before I got back my second SB2 in mysqueezebox.com with no luck. But since you mentioned it I tried again just in case something had changed when I got the second SB2 back. It did not bring back the screensaver but it just happened that the SB2 was doing an update while I was checking. I could tell there was an update happening because when I pushed the brightness button a few times I could see the update asterisk and it was changing brightness each time that I pushed the button. Then the update was over and the asterisk was gone. More mystery thrown into the mix.

EEYORE

mherger
2018-08-16, 01:15
> Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried that before I got back my second
> SB2 in mysqueezebox.com with no luck.

mysb.com has nothing to do with all of this if the device is connected
to your LMS.

Did you ever check server.log for any hints about what is going on?

--
--

Michael

EEYORE
2018-08-16, 02:36
Sir,

I had never looked at an LMS log file until just now. And that is no help to me; there are many errors indicated but they mean nothing to me. If you want to look at it let me know how to attach it to a message since I have no idea as to how to do that. Also let know how much of it you would want to see.

Thanks,

EEYORE

mherger
2018-08-16, 06:10
> I had never looked at an LMS log file until just now. And that is no
> help to me; there are many errors indicated but they mean nothing to me.
> If you want to look at it let me know how to attach it to a message
> since I have no idea as to how to do that. Also let know how much of it
> you would want to see.

Please upload it to https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a

--

Michael

EEYORE
2018-08-16, 10:51
Sir,

The file has been sent. I cut it down to the last month or so because the full file kept giving me an error message. Let me know if you need more.

I hope this helps,

EEYORE

JJZolx
2018-08-16, 11:40
Here's what I'd do, short of reinstalling everything from scratch (actually, it should be pretty much the same thing):

While LMS is running, go the Settings > Information page in the web interface.
Note the players listed on this page and find the MAC Addresses of the two players. Write them down. You'll need this if you have any other players or software players on your network.
Find the folder containing your LMS server configuration - the "prefs" folder - which contains the server.prefs file. This should be shown near the bottom of the same Settings > Information page.
Also, find the folder and the file containing your SuperDateTime screensaver settings. Should also be a .prefs file.
Shut down LMS.
Delete the SuperDateTime .prefs file.
Open the LMS server.prefs file and completely remove the settings sections for both players.
Restart LMS.
Reconfigure the players and the SuperDateTime screensaver from scratch.

The player settings are listed in server.prefs with headers that look like (with the MAC addresses of your players):

_client:00:04:20:05:d0:d4:

Delete the header and everything under that header that is indented, down to the next _client entry, or to the next line that is not indented.

EEYORE
2018-08-16, 12:23
JJZolx,

I have the information that you indicated and am ready to go. However, as you indicated, this is pretty much a complete redo of LMS which I am trying to avoid. I am going to wait for mherger to look at the log file that I sent to him and see what he has to say. If he has no suggestions then I will try your ideas if only to see what happens. I am almost resigned to a full uninstall/install.

Thanks,

EEYORE

JJZolx
2018-08-16, 12:42
However, as you indicated, this is pretty much a complete redo of LMS which I am trying to avoid.

It's far from a complete redo of LMS. It's only a redo of the settings for those two players and that screensaver. I'd do that long before completely reinstalling and reconfiguring LMS.

EEYORE
2018-08-16, 13:59
JJZolx,

In your first message you made it sound like a complete redo. I will definitely try your suggestions if mherger cannot help.

Thanks,

EEYORE

mherger
2018-08-16, 21:05
> The file has been sent. I cut it down to the last month or so because
> the full file kept giving me an error message. Let me know if you need
> more.

Unfortunately there's nothing in there.

Please run a bunch of checks:
- when in off mode, press the brightness button on the remote
- use a different screensaver

Any change in behaviour?

--

Michael

EEYORE
2018-08-16, 21:46
Mr. Herger,

As mentioned in earlier messages I did try changing the brightness setting when the SB was off. It had no effect except once when the SB happened to be getting an update and the update asterisk, only, was visible; the asterisk changed brightness as I hit the remote brightness button until the update finished and the asterisk went out. I have also tried the default Date and Time screensaver and it does show up. If I switch to mysqueezebox.com I also get the default screensaver. When I turn the SB on I also get all of the normal displays and it works normally. When the problem started I first thought that the screen was damaged but it is working except for the missing SDT screensaver. But I am still wondering why my second SB does not have the problem and displays SDT as it should even though the SDT settings for both players in LMS are the same.

Thanks for the help,

EEYORE

mherger
2018-08-16, 23:52
> button until the update finished and the asterisk went out. I have also
> tried the default Date and Time screensaver and it does show up. If I
> switch to mysqueezebox.com I also get the default screensaver. When I

So it's not a "blank screen when turned off", but "SDT fails to show"?

You better change the subject and ask people familiar with that plugin
for help. It might be a configuration problem specific to it.

--

Michael

EEYORE
2018-08-16, 23:56
To all,

I finally have my SB2 displaying the SuperDateTime screensaver again. Thanks to JJZolx and his instructions concerning the prefs file! It made me think of copying a new/old set of prefs, cache and log directories to the Squeezebox installation directory; I rarely make changes to LMS on my computers except to install the nightly updates. Since the problem started just a few weeks ago I extracted the necessary directories from a months old backup; I do somewhat regular backups of my computers. And voila I now have a properly working screensaver!!

Thanks to all for the help,

EEYORE