PDA

View Full Version : Why Do We Still Call It "Logitech Media Server?"

NFLnut
2018-08-12, 14:01
I pretty much already know the answer, and the intent of this question is NOT to start a flame war NOR to disparage Logitech (although we all I'm sure harbor some resentment for the killing of the Squeezebox lineage no matter how fair/unfair it might be but we also are thankful that they continue to support MySqueezebox, etc). I just would like to know why the server software is still being named "Logitech Media Server" and not the original Squeezebox Server or SqueezeCenter (my favorite because it was short) or later iterations. I know Logitech still owns the name and the (now defunct) hardware, but isn't server development being handled by volunteers, or are they (officially) still participating in server development? I'm just curious ..

RonM
2018-08-12, 15:17
It gives Logitech some modest advertising/exposure, which I'm sure helps to justify the continued presence of this forum, for which they continue to pay. Small price, and more power to them.

R.

Greg Erskine
2018-08-12, 15:26
Michael works for Logitech.

NFLnut
2018-08-12, 15:27
I didn't realize that they still paid for the SlimDevices forum. I knew they had the "official" Logitech Squeezeboxen forum which I never found to be of use. My first Squeezebox was bought right at the time that Logitech bought the lineage. I remember being glad that it still said "SlimDevices" on the front instead of Logitech. Nothing against Logitech at the time. I just wanted it to be "genuine" since I thought (and still do) that the Squeezebox was an incredible device.

NFLnut
2018-08-12, 15:28

Also didn't know that he worked for them still. Tells you how much I've paid attention.

JJZolx
2018-08-12, 20:16
I don't call it Logitech Media Server.

mherger
2018-08-12, 21:10
> I pretty much already know the answer

Which is?...

> Server" and not the original Squeezebox Server or later iterations. I
> know Logitech still owns the name and the (now defunct) hardware, but

It's not really defunct, is it? Existing hardware should still work
pretty much the way it did when it was actively supported.

> isn't server development being handled by volunteers, or are they
> (officially) still participating in server development? I'm just curious

As others said I'm still a Logitech employee. And Logitech is not only
paying for my living and this forum, but
mysqueezebox.com/uesmartradio.com (which is many times the cost of the
forum!), build systems, some updates every now and then etc. too.

But the reason why LMS is still called LMS is much simpler: renaming it
is useless effort only, a waste of resources imho. If somebody wants to
work on LMS, then please do work on features, not the name. That's what
I decided to do for myself.

As JJZolx showed it's easy to have your own custom name in the web UI
and some other places. Feel free to do so :-).

--

Michael

doctor_big
2018-08-13, 05:04
Thank you Michael, and thank you Logitech for not turning it off.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

DJanGo
2018-08-13, 09:56
is useless effort only, a waste of resources imho.

its even better...

the change from something TO logitechmediaserver isnt even done everywhere...
eg:

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DESC="Logitech Media Server"
NAME=squeezeboxserver
NEWNAME=logitechmediaserver
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/$NAME
DAEMON_SAFE=/usr/sbin/${NAME}_safe
PIDFILE=/var/run/$NEWNAME.pid
SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NEWNAME
SLIMUSER=$NAME

cathcam
2018-08-13, 10:02

and thats enough of a reason in my book.

NFLnut
2018-08-13, 10:51
As others said I'm still a Logitech employee. And Logitech is not only
paying for my living and this forum, but mysqueezebox.com/uesmartradio.com (which is many times the cost of the
forum!), build systems, some updates every now and then etc. too.

is useless effort only, a waste of resources imho. If somebody wants to
work on LMS, then please do work on features, not the name. That's what
I decided to do for myself.

As JJZolx showed it's easy to have your own custom name in the web UI
and some other places. Feel free to do so :-).

--

Michael

Hey, Michael. No offense intended. I forgot that you still worked for Logitech, and you have helped me several (many) times with issues I've had over the years, so my thanks to you and thus also to Logitech for not abandoning us. I had it in the back of my mind that this community was separate from Logitech and was now more of a "volunteer" community of those of us who refuse to move on (because the LMS and Squeezebox system is IMHO still the best music solution out there and does what we need it to. It. Just. Works.). I was wrong.

As to "defunct": I meant "no longer in production." That's all.

I tried to convey my simple desire to know why it was still called LMS. I have several non-SB products by Logitech and they all work as they should. As long as they pay the bills and keep our little habit alive, I'm good (although I would buy a new SB Touch right now if they were still in production). I've never had ill will toward Logitech. Although "Squeezecenter" IS shorter. ;) But then, I'm too lazy and probably too functionally illiterate to change it.

d6jg
2018-08-13, 14:06
I say thanks to Logitech and to Michael for keeping LMS alive and well.
Imho its still the best music server software by some way. Others - Room & Plex spring to mind - have features that Id like to see it in LMS but none is fundamentally as good at some core stuff such as playlist management as LMS and none have the plugin skills that some here display on a regular basis.

NFLnut
2018-08-14, 08:44
I am a lifetime subscriber to Plex Pass (which I only for TV shows and movies), and I use Subsonic when I'm on the road, and NONE of the alternatives have the ONE plugin that I absolutely love about LMS: Charles Parker's Spicefly Sugarcube. I can start a seed track and listen for hours. Or days.

philippe_44
2018-08-14, 23:32
One thing I have to add is a few years after jumping into the bandwagon of developping plugins for LMS, I'm still amazed by how robust the architecture is. I'm sure there are some "dark corners" in the code, as Michael calls them, but there is not a single addition I wanted to create that I was not able to do, and I think I've some very different ones. I don't think a lot of platfrom can pretend to be that well thought.

So kudos to the team that did it and, to some extend, "it breaks my heart" that commercial success is not here anymore ... that's life