PDA

View Full Version : Commercial players that work off LMS?

stevedresden
2018-07-06, 09:04
I have been running LMS on a first gen Raspberry Pi 3 for a few years now, and have a Squeezebox Radio in the kitchen as my main player. I have Squeeze Play on my Android phone for occasional use in other rooms, but I have to attach it to external speakers for it to sound OK, which is a bit of a hassle

Having wandered around John Lewis the other day and looked enviously at these new multiroom systems, I was wondering if there are any commercial devices/speakers out there that would stream from my existing LMS

I don't want to be be building my own squeeze players put of Pis and old phones if I can help it

Am I dreaming?

garym
2018-07-06, 09:22
I have been running LMS on a first gen Raspberry Pi 3 for a few years now, and have a Squeezebox Radio in the kitchen as my main player. I have Squeeze Play on my Android phone for occasional use in other rooms, but I have to attach it to external speakers for it to sound OK, which is a bit of a hassle

Having wandered around John Lewis the other day and looked enviously at these new multiroom systems, I was wondering if there are any commercial devices/speakers out there that would stream from my existing LMS

I don't want to be be building my own squeeze players put of Pis and old phones if I can help it

Am I dreaming?

Should be able to find some squeezebox TOUCH players on ebay, etc. Some of these have very little use or are even "new in box". Still great players!

bpa
2018-07-06, 09:33
Do you mean speaker or player with a display & sp[eakers ?

For just speakers - Chromecast or Airplay enabled speaker can also work. I bought a Sony Chromecast speaker during a sale or just use a Chromecast audio adapter.

edit:

Alternative would be an Android device with a LMS player app such as Zettaly Avy

Paul Webster
2018-07-06, 09:37
There are some LMS plugins by @philippe_44 that allow devices that support UPnP-AV, ChromeCast or AirPlay to receive their music from LMS.

castalla
2018-07-06, 09:51
There are some LMS plugins by @philippe_44 that allow devices that support UPnP-AV, ChromeCast or AirPlay to receive their music from LMS.

The easier models to configure with the plugins are airplay and chromecast speakers. UPnP streamers and/or speakers are more technical to set up. Sound quality varies (and is likely a personal choice) from Sonos to Google Home Mini

pippin
2018-07-07, 05:28
There are some higher end models like the ones from Innuos or SotM

Apesbrain
2018-07-07, 08:18
There are some higher end models like the ones from Innuos or SotM
Also, Sonore (https://www.sonore.us/). If you want a pre-built RPi player, check out Allo (https://www.allo.com/index.html). Audiophonics offers a wide range of hardware that runs piCorePlayer including this ersatz "Touch" (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/rasptouch/rasptouch-digione-touch-screen-reader-with-digital-output-p-12429.html).

left channel
2018-07-07, 09:03
+1 for Sonore. Also Small Green Computer. Those and more are available in your country from the Vortexbox Audiostore (https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/). The owner is known to be very helpful, and would instantly know what supports LMS and how.

stevedresden
2018-07-11, 02:50
Many thanks all - I will go follow up some of these leads now :)

chopinhauer
2018-07-11, 20:18
Forgive the clueness nature of my question but am I right to suppose that I can just get one of these wireless speakers, like a Google Home Max, somehow configure it to work with LMS that is on my desktop, and operate it with my android phone running Squeeze Ctrl? In other words, it will be just like a Squeezebox Boom? (I currently have one, love it, but know its days are numbered). Or do I have to connect say a SB Touch, Duet or Raspberry Pi a well? ( I have a few of these as well).

d6jg
2018-07-12, 05:39
Forgive the clueness nature of my question but am I right to suppose that I can just get one of these wireless speakers, like a Google Home Max, somehow configure it to work with LMS that is on my desktop, and operate it with my android phone running Squeeze Ctrl? In other words, it will be just like a Squeezebox Boom? (I currently have one, love it, but know its days are numbered). Or do I have to connect say a SB Touch, Duet or Raspberry Pi a well? ( I have a few of these as well).

You will need to install Phillipe's Castbridge plugin into LMS which detects and turns a Google Chromecast device (incl Speakers) into an SB player which you control like any other SB player. Limited to 24/96 and won't sync with your Boom but otherwise works perfectly.

chopinhauer
2018-07-12, 21:52
Thanks. Good to know there are other options than trying to hunt down another SB Boom secondhand.
What do people think is better general terms, including future proofing, between going the wireless speaker plus Chomecast with plugin (say of JBL Playlist) and a used Boom. A cheap Boom will cost me around $170, while JBLs are cheaper and new, and more flexible I guess than the Boom which, on the other hand, does integrate into my logitech environment.