PDA

View Full Version : HDMI input

Bob01
2018-07-03, 21:06
Hi - I have Picoreplayer installed on several Raspberry Pi 3ís scattered around, with one serving as an LMS server. Two of them have Hifiberry Amp2 cards with speakers connected, and one goes directly into a stereo amplifier. It all works great.

My question is whether it is possible to use the HDMI port on the Raspberry Pi as an audio input source, and route the audio out through the hifiberry amp?

The use case is this. The raspberry pi unit that serves as the LMS server sits next to a TV. I would like to take the HDMI output from the TV, parse out the video signal (this I know how to do), and run the remaining audio into the raspberry pi and have it play through the amp through the speakers.

Thanks for the help!

DJanGo
2018-07-04, 00:17
My question is whether it is possible to use the HDMI port on the Raspberry Pi as an audio input source, and route the audio out through the hifiberry amp?

HDMI Device is output only.

d6jg
2018-07-04, 01:29
You can however use a 2 way USB sound card such as a Behringer UCA202 which will give you 16/44.1 in and out.
4 x RCA, Optical out & USB
piCorePlayer will see the card as an output out of the box but you will need to use additional modules which may not be available in pCp to get the Pi to read its input

Bob01
2018-07-05, 19:24
Thanks for the replies. Iíll look into the USB soundcard.

Bob

MikeG
2018-11-02, 16:08
Hi Bob

Did you figure something out? I have similar and would like to achieve the same i.e. TV audio out and into Squeezebox/LMS infrastructure (via ethernet) or into nearby Raspberry PI with DAC and AMP to kitchen ceiling speakers.

Regards

Mike

Paul Webster
2018-11-04, 08:10
Getting the audio input from the USB card can be done using the WaveInput plugin.
One thing to note though ... the audio will probably be considerably delayed (a few seconds) compared to real-time so while this could be good for listening to a TV programme, it would not be much use if trying to watch it at the same time.

As an example - this is what I have set in my Favorites to take input from a behringer USB device that is attached to a turntable
wavin:sysdefault:CARD=CODEC

bpa
2018-11-04, 08:25
Getting the audio input from the USB card can be done using the WaveInput plugin.
One thing to note though ... the audio will probably be considerably delayed (a few seconds) compared to real-time so while this could be good for listening to a TV programme, it would not be much use if trying to watch it at the same time.

As an example - this is what I have set in my Favorites to take input from a behringer USB device that is attached to a turntable
wavin:sysdefault:CARD=CODEC

The delay can be reduced if compression to Flac is disabled (i.e. play WAV/PCM) . There is a another tweak to bufferlevel - but it is very system /player dependent.