PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions For Minimalist System Hookup

Redrum
2018-07-03, 04:07
Hi;

Over the years I have acquired allot of equipment including multiple squeezebox devices, and have several systems assembled at home - living room, upstairs, garage, shop, etc...

A few years ago I bought a cabin that was in need of some love and companionship. Sort of like a puppy...I digress. I didn't want to drag all sorts of equipment up there, and also wanted a bit of a minimalist living, although ISP availability made me happy.

So I setup this system:

40" basic Samsung Flat Screen (minimal I/O) - antenna only for broadcast at this time
Roku Stick
DVD player (remembr those?) and all my old dvd's from home
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Controller added later

I added the controller later for remote control of the boom, and a "now playing" screen, and for simplicity for others to operate.

I am really happy with the Boom as my kit, its really a wonderful basic "listen to music". People ask "where are the speakers?". But, here's where I need some thoughts and advice:

I decided to add a soundbar that is on its way (Yamaha YAS 107) mostly to improve the TV/Streaming experience. Its small = still minimalist ;) So, I got to thinking about music streaming playback through the soundbar, and how to implement?

Here's what I am going to do right now, the TV as the video/audio switcher:
Roku Stick -> HDMI in on TV
Antenna -> RF in on TV
DVD -> Component in on TV
TV-> Sound Bar via Optical Out of TV, In on soundbar.

I should note that the TV does not support ARC.

I should also note that I will be using a harmony 650 to control all but the roku that uses RF, and the SB. It will help people other than me operate the setup.

So, what about the music? I could:

1) connect the headphone analog out of the boom to the analog in of the soundbar.
2) I have a squeezebox receiver laying around that I can add and go analog out to the sound bar. This would work with the harmony.
3) I could use that SB receiver and go optical to the soundbar, but there is only one optical input on the bar. I could use a toslink switch, but it would be preferred if the harmony could control the switching (maybe someone knows?)
4) I could (you folks fill here here...., perhaps I am overlooking an "ah ha!"

One thing I should note, unless the soundbar is far and above superior, I still plan on using the boom speakers, so if I have to change a setting back and forth or plug/unplug to mute the boom speakers for #1, that wouldn't work. I am thinking that #2 or #3 are the favored thoughts right now. The Boom could then operate independently.

Thoughts?

Jim

d6jg
2018-07-03, 04:12
Hi;

Over the years I have acquired allot of equipment including multiple squeezebox devices, and have several systems assembled at home - living room, upstairs, garage, shop, etc...

A few years ago I bought a cabin that was in need of some love and companionship. Sort of like a puppy...I digress. I didn't want to drag all sorts of equipment up there, and also wanted a bit of a minimalist living, although ISP availability made me happy.

So I setup this system:

40" basic Samsung Flat Screen (minimal I/O) - antenna only for broadcast at this time
Roku Stick
DVD player (remembr those?) and all my old dvd's from home
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Controller added later

I added the controller later for remote control of the boom, and a "now playing" screen, and for simplicity for others to operate.

I am really happy with the Boom as my kit, its really a wonderful basic "listen to music". People ask "where are the speakers?". But, here's where I need some thoughts and advice:

I decided to add a soundbar that is on its way (Yamaha YAS 107) mostly to improve the TV/Streaming experience. Its small = still minimalist ;) So, I got to thinking about music streaming playback through the soundbar, and how to implement?

Here's what I am going to do right now, the TV as the video/audio switcher:
Roku Stick -> HDMI in on TV
Antenna -> RF in on TV
DVD -> Component in on TV
TV-> Sound Bar via Optical Out of TV, In on soundbar.

I should note that the TV does not support ARC.

I should also note that I will be using a harmony 650 to control all but the roku that uses RF, and the SB. It will help people other than me operate the setup.

So, what about the music? I could:

1) connect the headphone analog out of the boom to the analog in of the soundbar.
2) I have a squeezebox receiver laying around that I can add and go analog out to the sound bar. This would work with the harmony.
3) I could use that SB receiver and go optical to the soundbar, but there is only one optical input on the bar. I could use a toslink switch, but it would be preferred if the harmony could control the switching (maybe someone knows?)
4) I could (you folks fill here here...., perhaps I am overlooking an "ah ha!"

One thing I should note, unless the soundbar is far and above superior, I still plan on using the boom speakers, so if I have to change a setting back and forth or plug/unplug to mute the boom speakers for #1, that wouldn't work. I am thinking that #2 or #3 are the favored thoughts right now. The Boom could then operate independently.

Thoughts?

Jim

If you have a spare HDMI on the TV then what about a Google Chromecast and Phillipe's LMS plugin (where is the LMS in your cabin set up?)

Redrum
2018-07-03, 05:10
If you have a spare HDMI on the TV then what about a Google Chromecast and Phillipe's LMS plugin (where is the LMS in your cabin set up?)

The LMS is on a pc that is in the same room as the system. Hmmmm... I don't have a chromecast, but they aren't expensive. I do have a spare HDMI on the TV, but I also have a HDMI on the soundbar. I'm not familiar with the plug in, I'll look into it. So you are proposing:

Chromecast into the TV (HDMI), TV as the switcher, to the soundbar (optical), and cast from the LMS/PC? This would all be harmony switchable, but not being familiar with the plus in, what would be the SB UI? Also, does the audio quality/digital integrity remain intact?"

and I could also do (to keep the TV off while playing audio) - Chromecast into the SB (???)

Thanks for the thought!
Jim

d6jg
2018-07-03, 05:29
Chromecast with plugin works exactly like a native Squeeze device and as you say they are very cheap. Your Controller will see it as another SB device.
If you go HDMI -> TV you will get a now playing display on TV
If you go HDMI -> Soundbar then no display and no switcher unless you can make Harmony control the Soundbar inputs.

There is a third party Squeezeplay app for Roku but its out of date / rubbish so I wouldn't even consider it.

Phillipe's plugin is well developed and just works after a very simple setup

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104614-Announce-CastBridge-integrate-Chromecast-players-with-LMS-(squeeze2cast)

NB
There are 2 sorts of Chromecast - one with video (HDMI only) and Chromecast Audio - the latter has optical and analog out.

d6jg
2018-07-03, 05:34
The Chromecast will do 24/192 I think but it perhaps won't sync very well with the Boom - I use one in my Bedroom as an unsynced occasional player

Redrum
2018-07-03, 06:07
The Chromecast will do 24/192 I think but it perhaps won't sync very well with the Boom - I use one in my Bedroom as an unsynced occasional player

thanks, even without chromecast, I find the SBs sync ok for say seperate rooms, but occasionally the sync is poor, or at least "echoy" if thats a word.

My app would be for either/or. no need to worry about sync.

Still wondering about the UI, If I can see the CC/plugin as a "player" on, say the controller. If I have to operate from the computer, phone, pad, the receiver is probably a better solution. I am looking for power on/off, select, control via "harmony + roku" or "harmony + controller"

Jim

d6jg
2018-07-03, 06:14
thanks, even without chromecast, I find the SBs sync ok for say seperate rooms, but occasionally the sync is poor, or at least "echoy" if thats a word.

My app would be for either/or. no need to worry about sync.

Still wondering about the UI, If I can see the CC/plugin as a "player" on, say the controller. If I have to operate from the computer, phone, pad, the receiver is probably a better solution. I am looking for power on/off, select, control via "harmony + roku" or "harmony + controller"

Jim

You will see the CC on anything that can control a native SB box other than by IR

Controller
iPeng on iPhone / iPad
Web UI

Harmony + Controller will work.

If your Harmony can switch the Soundbar then I agree a Duet via Analog may be the best bet.

Redrum
2018-07-03, 07:12
You will see the CC on anything that can control a native SB box other than by IR

Controller
iPeng on iPhone / iPad
Web UI

Harmony + Controller will work.

If your Harmony can switch the Soundbar then I agree a Duet via Analog may be the best bet.

One more question just to make sure I have it right...wondering if a TV display is needed to run CC or if you have to launch cc from a computer/server (not familiar with CC). I ask because if not, then a CC and any audio player with a HDMI port could be a SB player, with, say iPeng, etc.? If that's the case, and if I was a guy that didn't have all this gear, I could buy, say a soundbar with a hdmi input and a CC, setup a server, CC plug in, and enjoy as good of a SB audio experience that the DACs and amplification in the soundbar can provide?

If that is true, who, that's cool. Even if it needs a tv, thats cool as well. But (not knowing CC) if you have to use a computer/pad, etc to launch the cast, not as neat...

Jim

d6jg
2018-07-03, 07:20
One more question just to make sure I have it right...wondering if a TV display is needed to run CC or if you have to launch cc from a computer/server (not familiar with CC). I ask because if not, then a CC and any audio player with a HDMI port could be a SB player, with, say iPeng, etc.? If that's the case, and if I was a guy that didn't have all this gear, I could buy, say a soundbar with a hdmi input and a CC, setup a server, CC plug in, and enjoy as good of a SB audio experience that the DACs and amplification in the soundbar can provide?

If that is true, who, that's cool. Even if it needs a tv, thats cool as well. But (not knowing CC) if you have to use a computer/pad, etc to launch the cast, not as neat...

Jim

The answer is Yes.
As I said earlier 2 types of Chromecast - the full one for Video (with HDMI) and another called Chromecast Audio (with optical/analogue).
You choose which to use. The video version has a now playing display.
The plugin makes it operate exactly like a native SB player - no "casting" as such - you just need something to control it with like any other SB player.

Redrum
2018-07-03, 07:28
The answer is Yes.
As I said earlier

My apologies. When I got a notification you responded, I assumed a single response and went to the thread and read your last response. I didn't see you responded twice. The previous response had all of the details, all my questions answered. My bad.

Again, thank you for your help and clarification. I have options, which is better than none :D

Jim

Redrum
2018-07-03, 07:39
oops, sorry, I just thought of one more question....

If I bought a normal chromecast (video) over the audio chromecast (with other than HDMI outputs), would that allow me to have the most flexibility in that I could use it via the TV HDMI (with now playing), but also, it would work with the soundbar HDMI? That is, the video Chromecast does not need a display to work?

The CC is actually an ideal solution for me because the HDMI port on the soundbar is not used (TV to soundbar via optical), and I have a vacant HDMI on the TV. Also, the optical in on the SB isn't available. So, it the normal second gen CC for $USD35 would work either way, viola!

Now the only other thing to worry (over think) about is if the HDMI from the TV does a pass through of the audio data to the optical out without monkeying with it. I imagine it does....
\

Jim

d6jg
2018-07-03, 08:22
oops, sorry, I just thought of one more question....

If I bought a normal chromecast (video) over the audio chromecast (with other than HDMI outputs), would that allow me to have the most flexibility in that I could use it via the TV HDMI (with now playing), but also, it would work with the soundbar HDMI? That is, the video Chromecast does not need a display to work?

Can't be 100% but I believe that once setup you do not need a display. Post the question in Phillipe's thread - I am sure he can confirm.
Almost all HDMI TV's have passthru to optical out. The cheap one I have in my bedroom certainly does as like you I had to upgrade the sound and used an old pre HDMI AV Receiver that only had optical.