PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

satkinsn
2018-06-20, 19:40
All -

As noted in another thread, I bought a SB radio off ebay. The thing came without a power supply, and I posed the question "Can I use a Boom or Duet supply for testing purposes?"

Radio came today. I hooked it up to my Boom's power supply and it appeared to work. It came up properly with the early screens for connecting to my wifi network, but...

The selection wheel (or whatever you call it) doesn't let me scroll through wireless networks. I can turn it all I want - and it appears to turn completely normally - but it doesn't do anything.

So given that I was using a power supply that was almost, but not quite, right, is my problem more likely a.) lack of a proper PS or b.) a broken radio, in which case, does someone need parts?

tks,

s.

mherger
2018-06-20, 22:07
> So given that I was using a power supply that was almost, but not quite,
> right, is my problem more likely a.) lack of a proper PS or b.) a broken
> radio, in which case, does someone need parts?

Does it never do anything at all? I don't remember whether the WLAN list
is the first list to navigate. Would it previously work? If you had a
remote control from some other SB, you could use it to configure the
Radio to see what its real state was.

--

Michael

satkinsn
2018-06-21, 13:10
> So given that I was using a power supply that was almost, but not quite,
> right, is my problem more likely a.) lack of a proper PS or b.) a broken
> radio, in which case, does someone need parts?

Does it never do anything at all? I don't remember whether the WLAN list
is the first list to navigate. Would it previously work? If you had a
remote control from some other SB, you could use it to configure the
Radio to see what its real state was.

--

Michael

I'm at work and don't have the radio in front of me, but last night at home I plugged it in, it came up to the "Free Your Music" splash screen, then the language selection screen - which defaulted to English - then to a choice between wireless and wired. Got past all those, but ended up stopped at the screen which listed the wifi signals in my home/neighborhood. The click wheel physically turns fine, and feels normal, but it doesn't move on screen. The controller from my V3 doesn't work either, but I don't know whether that ever worked with radios. Is there a hard reset for the beast?

tks,

s.

Man in a van
2018-06-21, 13:35
https://download01.logitech.com/support/24376.1.0.pdf

To factory reset your Squeezebox Radio, press and hold the Power button until the unit turns off; then touch the Power button to restore power. Immediately press and hold the More button until a “Factory Reset” message appears on the screen. Alternatively, go to Home > Settings > Advanced > Factory Reset > Continue.

mherger
2018-06-21, 21:56
> I'm at work and don't have the radio in front of me, but last night at
> home I plugged it in, it came up to the "Free Your Music" splash screen,
> then the language selection screen - which defaulted to English - then
> to a choice between wireless and wired. Got past all those, but ended up
> stopped at the screen which listed the wifi signals in my

You didn't have to use the wheel up to that menu?

> home/neighborhood. The click wheel physically turns fine, and feels
> normal, but it doesn't move on screen. The controller from my V3 doesn't
> work either, but I don't know whether that ever worked with radios. Is
> there a hard reset for the beast?

The IR remote should work. Any chance to use a wired connection so you
wouldn't have to go through the wlan screen? (just as a test)

--

Michael

satkinsn
2018-06-22, 16:05
Michael, in answer to question one, I didn't. The thing defaults to English and wireless in the first two screens, so I just had to use the right arrow to go forward.

I think I'm doing this wrong and being careless and impatient. Rather than flail at the problem without ruling out one big possibility, I ordered a $12 power supply from Amazon that's radio-specific. I'll hook that up early next week and see if it fixes the various small oddities of this radio. If not, I probably bought a parts machine, but this thing is just flaky enough that I think it's worth being more systematic and thoughtful.

Thanks all. I'll report back on how I do. If the power supply doesn't improve things Michael, I'll wire it up and see what happens.

s.

satkinsn
2018-06-30, 15:16
Important lesson for me: it was the power supply after all. If you haven't followed the thread, I bought an old SB Radio with no power supply. I tried to use my Boom's PS with it just for testing purposes, but couldn't get the click wheel to function, so I couldn't connect to my wireless network.

Impatient man that I am, i almost jumped to the conclusion that the radio was broken, or that I needed to do something arcane with software or something. Finally, I just decided to invest an extra $12, buy a power supply and...it works.

Setting it up now, but so far, so good. Everything behaves as it should.

Thanks all for advice and counsel.

s.

mherger
2018-06-30, 22:02
> Important lesson for me: it was the power supply after all. If you

Interesting... can you confirm whether your Radio does have a battery or
not?

--

Michael

satkinsn
2018-07-01, 06:25
Michael -

It does not. i'm buying one and will be curious to see if the performance of the radio changes, not that it should.

best,

s.