PDA

View Full Version : Using mobile internet to access my LMS.

mandryka
2018-06-16, 13:39
Is it possible?

pippin
2018-06-16, 13:45
Sure.
Iíd recommend to use a VPN, thatís the most secure way, if you open a port on your router that will be pretty insecure.

Grumpy Bob
2018-06-16, 22:23
Sure.
Iíd recommend to use a VPN, thatís the most secure way, if you open a port on your router that will be pretty insecure.

Maybe worth reviewing this sticky thread in this forum - Sticky: IMPORTANT: Stop forwarding your LMS ports to the internet! (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107165-IMPORTANT-Stop-forwarding-your-LMS-ports-to-the-internet!).

I used to do this, but now use a mobile LMS server using a WD Passport drive. Just seems a bit more secure to me.

Robert

mandryka
2018-06-17, 07:01
Thanks for making me aware of the issues, Iím not sure I want to do it often enough to make it worth my while to get a VPN. Unless, that is, I could use the VPN to receive Canal Plus in the UK . . . hmmmmm . . . something to think about there.

Mnyb
2018-06-17, 08:11
Depends it can be easy my router supports open VPN and there is apps for my iPhone . simple .

Most of the work registering a domain name because (on no ip) my isp don't give me an exclusive and fixed ip it does change sometimes.

Jeff07971
2018-06-17, 09:19
Thanks for making me aware of the issues, Iím not sure I want to do it often enough to make it worth my while to get a VPN. Unless, that is, I could use the VPN to receive Canal Plus in the UK . . . hmmmmm . . . something to think about there.

Mynb is not talking about a "VPN Service"

Mnyb
2018-06-17, 09:45
No we want to use actual VPN tunnel tech from your home network thats the deal .

Not a VPN service to masquerade ourself as being in specific country or surf with tor or similar .

earthbased
2018-06-17, 10:13
Is it possible?

Most modern routers include VPN. For example TP-Link AC2300 comes with OpenVPN. Older routers can use DD-WRT to use OpenVPN.

mandryka
2018-06-17, 12:06
I've got a feeling I was too laconic in the opening post, so let me spell out what I want to do.

I want to access my music through my smartphone while away from my house. That's to say, I want to use the internet on my phone to access my LMS and then choose music, and have it beamed back to my phone to play, wherever in the world I am.

As far as openVPN goes, I think I can do it with my BT Router

https://2ellsblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/09/set-up-port-fowarding-for-openvpn-on-bt-home-hub-5/

I can follow those instructions till I get to the line 14 where there's reference to "pi-osmc"

Mnyb
2018-06-17, 13:05
I've got a feeling I was too laconic in the opening post, so let me spell out what I want to do.

I want to access my music through my smartphone while away from my house. That's to say, I want to use the internet on my phone to access my LMS and then choose music, and have it beamed back to my phone to play, wherever in the world I am.

As far as openVPN goes, I think I can do it with my BT Router

https://2ellsblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/09/set-up-port-fowarding-for-openvpn-on-bt-home-hub-5/

I can follow those instructions till I get to the line 14 where there's reference to "pi-osmc"

Thats the way , get that to work and add suitable vpn app to the phone and useiPeng for playback if you have an iPhone or a selection of other players if you have an android phone .

If the BT router makes trouble for you why don't ditch it ? afaik it's rarely needed to use actual hardware suggested or sold by your ISP at least not where i live .

mandryka
2018-06-17, 13:26
Thanks for all the help, I hope to find time tomorrow to try it out!

Man in a van
2018-06-17, 14:03

That just refers to the name you have given the raspberry pi that is running the openvpn

In the Device drop-down list select pi-osmc (i.e. the name of your Pi on your network)

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/running-your-own-openvpn-server-on-a-raspberry-pi-8b78043ccdea