PDA

View Full Version : New WiFi Routerthat Works with Squeezeboxes?

relayer
2018-05-29, 10:46
We are looking to purchase a new router to handle the WiFi in our house, and I was wondering if anyone knows if any of the new "mesh" router systems work well with LMS and Squeezeboxes. We have 3 Touches, 1 Classic, and 1 Radio, and I'd hate to suddenly lose functionality after upgrading to a new router. We had been using an old Netgear router and range extender, which worked pretty well, but the mesh systems seem to be all the rage now.

Is anyone successfully using Google WiFi, Netgear Orbi, or any of the similar ones (Linksys Velop, Eero) with their Squeezeboxes? Any issues to be aware of? It seems that some or all of them somehow combine the 2.4- and 5-GHz channels instead of having them appear as separate networks; I'm not sure if that would matter or not to the Squeezeboxes. Also, does the iPeng app still work okay? I sometimes have a hard time getting it to recognize the boxes unless I switch to a different network. With the router and extender, there are four altogether (2.4, 5.0, 2.4_ext, 5.0_ext). It would be nice to have it all combined into a single network.

Thanks for any info you can share!

David

edwin2006
2018-05-29, 12:42
I would take unify line from ubiquiti

relayer
2018-05-29, 18:37

Thanks, I will check that out. At first glance, it seems to have a more involved setup, but I guess it's not geared toward the typical consumer.

Mnyb
2018-05-29, 20:17
My linksys wrt1900 has one separate 2,4ghz and 5ghz channel with the possibilities of setting different ssid and pw.
Works really well

rkrug
2018-05-29, 23:28

I was looking at these for quite some time - but I am a little bit lost by what I need. I have a router (supplied one) and only would use these as wireless access points and, preferably, as dhcp server. I couldn't figure out which components I would need.

Videopac
2018-05-30, 00:11
What's the reason you would like to renew your wifi?

edwin2006
2018-05-30, 04:35
I was looking at these for quite some time - but I am a little bit lost by what I need. I have a router (supplied one) and only would use these as wireless access points and, preferably, as dhcp server. I couldn't figure out which components I would need.
One cloudkey as controller, or a pc for the free software.
Then just as much accesspoint as you need.
After config you don't really need the controller anymore until you want to change anything. Just remember DON'T pull powerplug or SD card when running. If you do that and the cloudkey starts white blinking you need the config backup you made before. With that it runs within 10 minutes.
Btw. After config the accesspoint do not need the controller. Wifi keeps working.

bpa
2018-05-30, 04:42
Is anyone successfully using Google WiFi, Netgear Orbi, or any of the similar ones (Linksys Velop, Eero) with their Squeezeboxes? Any issues to be aware of? It seems that some or all of them somehow combine the 2.4- and 5-GHz channels instead of having them appear as separate networks; I'm not sure if that would matter or not to the Squeezeboxes. Also, does the iPeng app still work okay? I sometimes have a hard time getting it to recognize the boxes unless I switch to a different network. With the router and extender, there are four altogether (2.4, 5.0, 2.4_ext, 5.0_ext). It would be nice to have it all combined into a single network.

I use an Orbi (one main and one satellite) as it is 3 story house with brick walls and chimneys - single router left too many blind spots.

I have Orbi configured as an AP to provide 2.4ghz and 5Ghz Wifi as 2 different SSIDs (but IIRC can be configured as one). SB boxes are on 2.4, PCs, tablets and media streams all use 5Ghz. There is a separate 5Ghz connection between main and satellite.
Works OK and no problems.

callesoroe
2018-05-30, 11:12
We are looking to purchase a new router to handle the WiFi in our house, and I was wondering if anyone knows if any of the new "mesh" router systems work well with LMS and Squeezeboxes. We have 3 Touches, 1 Classic, and 1 Radio, and I'd hate to suddenly lose functionality after upgrading to a new router. We had been using an old Netgear router and range extender, which worked pretty well, but the mesh systems seem to be all the rage now.

Thanks for any info you can share!

David

I use a Netgear nighthawk x6 r8000. Not cheap but handles everything smoothly. Both heavy video and audio streaming at the same time. Can only recommend this one.

cramcram
2018-05-30, 12:07
Google Wifi works fine here (Touch, Radio, Classic, Duet & Controller)

relayer
2018-05-30, 19:08
My linksys wrt1900 has one separate 2,4ghz and 5ghz channel with the possibilities of setting different ssid and pw.
Works really well

Thank you for sharing your setup. It seems like a similar setup to what I have now. I'd like to get a system that doesn't require me to use different 2.4 and 5 networks. However, I wonder if that would cause trouble with the Squeezeboxes?

relayer
2018-05-30, 19:13
What's the reason you would like to renew your wifi?

My router is getting a little long in the tooth. It's worked fairly well for years, but it now gets a little glitchy sometimes. Plus, it seems like the technology has improved quite a bit. Plus, I'd like to stop having to switch between four different networks when I'm wandering around the house. Plus, our old cat has been sleeping on top of our old router (nice and warm for her old bones), and she caved in the top piece, so I fear it might not last much longer.

relayer
2018-05-30, 19:16
I use an Orbi (one main and one satellite) as it is 3 story house with brick walls and chimneys - single router left too many blind spots.

I have Orbi configured as an AP to provide 2.4ghz and 5Ghz Wifi as 2 different SSIDs (but IIRC can be configured as one). SB boxes are on 2.4, PCs, tablets and media streams all use 5Ghz. There is a separate 5Ghz connection between main and satellite.
Works OK and no problems.

Thanks, that's great to know! I read that the Orbi could be reprogrammed to split the 2.4 and 5ghz networks. What was the reason you decided to go that route as opposed to just leaving them combined? I've read of some people with devices getting stuck on the 2.4.

relayer
2018-05-30, 19:23
I use a Netgear nighthawk x6 r8000. Not cheap but handles everything smoothly. Both heavy video and audio streaming at the same time. Can only recommend this one.

Thank you! I had been looking at that one when I started learning about the "mesh" stuff. With this, I would probably still need a range extender to cover the entire house. However, Netgear's new range extender seems to allow you to set up a single SSID, so it seems a lot like the Orbi. I'm not sure what the benefit is of one over the other. Very confusing.

relayer
2018-05-30, 19:24
Google Wifi works fine here (Touch, Radio, Classic, Duet & Controller)

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that the Google system works with all of your Squeezeboxes.

rkrug
2018-05-30, 23:56
> On 30 May 2018, at 13:35, edwin2006 <edwin2006.8i2zxz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> rkrug wrote:
>> I was looking at these for quite some time - but I am a little bit lost
>> by what I need. I have a router (supplied one) and only would use these
>> as wireless access points and, preferably, as dhcp server. I couldn't
>> figure out which components I would need.
> One cloudkey as controller, or a pc for the free software.
> Then just as much accesspoint as you need.
> After config you don't really need the controller anymore until you want
> to change anything. Just remember DON'T pull powerplug or SD card when
> running. If you do that and the cloudkey starts white blinking you need
> the config backup you made before. With that it runs within 10 minutes.

Thanks - that helps. But I still won’t have a DHCP server - correct?

If I understand y=their website, I would need a Unify Security Gateway (https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/ <https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/>)?

Rainer

>
>
>
> *SqueezeBoxes:* 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x
> Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden)
> 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
> *Server:* LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
> *Network:* AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> edwin2006's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=66926
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=109101
>
>

bpa
2018-05-31, 01:36
Thanks, that's great to know! I read that the Orbi could be reprogrammed to split the 2.4 and 5ghz networks. What was the reason you decided to go that route as opposed to just leaving them combined? I've read of some people with devices getting stuck on the 2.4.
For me the difference between 2.4g and 5g relate to reach and throughput. 5GHz has less penetration and so can be result in poorer signal through brick walls and chimney breasts. Having separate SSIDs allowed me to control which network to use rather than let the device pick because in marginal areas device may alternate between 2.4 & 5 frequently resulting in delays in service. If a device gets "stuck" on 2.4 it is probably because 5Ghz doesn't have the same reach - many users don't realise this. Small but solid obstructions can seriously affect 5GHz.

2.4g is more crowded so I want to minimise use of 2.4Ghz - neighbours in similar houses have multiple SSIDs on 2.4GHz with multiple channels but do not seem to use 5GHz or at least I don't "see" 5GHz networks.

cramcram
2018-05-31, 02:54
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that the Google system works with all of your Squeezeboxes.

Forgot to mention my Boom. Works also fine.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Videopac
2018-05-31, 04:22
My router is getting a little long in the tooth. It's worked fairly well for years, but it now gets a little glitchy sometimes. Plus, it seems like the technology has improved quite a bit. Plus, I'd like to stop having to switch between four different networks when I'm wandering around the house. Plus, our old cat has been sleeping on top of our old router (nice and warm for her old bones), and she caved in the top piece, so I fear it might not last much longer.

Good arguments... (IMHO).

I have no experience with new mesh routers, but I can say that “previous-best” MiMo routers are very fine. My Netgear R7800 is very fast and has a better reach than the ISP provided one (crappy one) and my previous Asus AC66U as well. If you have a large house you’ll need extenders anyway.

Another thing that improved the speed is the alternative firmware I use: Lede / OpenWrt. It is open-source, highly active, so you don’t depend on the update policy of the manufacturer. And it has a Pi-Hole style adblocker app available. It works automatically on all connected devices and as it doesn’t even load the ads/trackers etc. (conventional blockers download them before blocking them) it increases the internetspeed dramatically.

Mnyb
2018-05-31, 05:11
Thank you for sharing your setup. It seems like a similar setup to what I have now. I'd like to get a system that doesn't require me to use different 2.4 and 5 networks. However, I wonder if that would cause trouble with the Squeezeboxes?

I thougth of it as a feature i only keep old stuff on the 2,4ghz actually .
The 5ghz is used for everything else portable.

You can ofcourse use 2,4ghz for everything but squeezeboxes may need some compatibility mode for g as they dont handle N or AC . Hence me isolating them on one wifi .

But they are in fact ”one network” same subnet and ip range anyway

epoch1970
2018-06-03, 05:17

SBs do not require a separate 2.4GHz SSID.
I have a few connected to the now defunct (...) Airport Express, the thing is set to "auto", there is a single SSID, 2.4GHz clients (SBs) connect to the 2.4GHz antenna, 5GHz clients connect to the 5GHz antenna. Clients see each other and operate at different speeds.

relayer
2018-06-03, 08:14
SBs do not require a separate 2.4GHz SSID.
I have a few connected to the now defunct (...) Airport Express, the thing is set to "auto", there is a single SSID, 2.4GHz clients (SBs) connect to the 2.4GHz antenna, 5GHz clients connect to the 5GHz antenna. Clients see each other and operate at different speeds.

Thanks, that's good to know. I wasn't sure if the SBs would get confused about the combined SSID.